The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books)

+21
Adam D
Rowley
Roller_Coaster
Trebs
Silver
The Womble
dancingweeman
seanmichaels
rIck_dAgless
ChequeredJersey
The Boss
superflyweight
Hammersmith harrier
Galted
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Dolphin Ziggler
JuliusHMarx
kingraf
Azzy
ShahenshahG
Mind the windows Tino.
25 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What is the best piece of fiction written by a European?

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 44

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Empty Culture Cup rd 3 (Books)

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed May 20, 2015 4:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Round 2 of the Culture Cup 2.0 finally comes to an end, and what a controversial round it turned out to be.  There were accusations of vote rigging (by me, about Adam.  I still think he has cheated), arguments, swearing and threats of physical violence.  But, that’s what great art does.  It inspires opinions, it creates extremes of emotion, it forces people to look into their souls.  Round 2 was great art.  Great art happening in front of our eyes, people.  There were one or two questions about the validity of some picks and, as usual, some invective spewed my way.  But I can handle it.  That’s what great leaders do, provide inspiration in the face of adversity.  It’s water of a ducks back to me.  Or jizz off Sean’s chin if you need a better metaphor.

So who were the movers and shakers in round 2?  Well, the biggest winners were Hero and Harrier who both scored 10 points with Madge and Dusty.  I voted for Madge so I can’t say I’m too disappointed with those choices.  Son Of A Preacher Man is a great song as well so no complaints from me.  Hero and Hammer are at the top of the table with Paul, Treb “Tik Tok” Trebs and 'fathead' Adam breathing down their necks.  That f*cking lunatic Ziggler somehow managed to lobby enough people to vote for his choon and finds himself in second place for round 2 with 8 points.  Adam with Hit Me Baby One More Time somehow claims the last podium position in round 2 with a truly awful song. I’d like to hit all the people that voted for it one more time with a massive claw hammer.  Although that would just involve hitting Adam over his stupid, fat head numerous times as he clearly cheated and rigged the votes.  Jeff and superfly continue their titanic “who is the least sh*t out of two sh*t posters” battle with Jeff’s solitary vote this round enabling him to snuggle up to his great rival on 2 points each in the table.

A few posters continue to languish with no points, with Sean “I lie more than Jay from the Inbetweeners” Michaels, Galted “Massively Gay Way” Mears and Julius “I’m old so I moan.  Deal with it” Marx all yet to break their 2.0 virginity.  Stella has become a bit of an enigma.  He joined late, and now won’t answer my PM’s.  This has forced me to choose for him in round 3.  Hopefully my choice will lift him from the foot of the table.

So the updated table looks like this:

1) Hero 16 pts
2) Harrier 14 pts
3) Paul 12 pts
4) Trebs 10 pts
5) Adam 10 pts
6) Ziggler 9 pts
7) SerialDAVE 7 pts
8) C&R 6 pts
9) Azzy 6 pts
10) weeman 5 pts
11) Nakatomi 4 pts
12) Beadle 4 pts
13) Union Cane 3 pts
14) Shah-abu bakr 3 pts
15) The Boss 3 pts
16) superfly 2 pts
17) Jeff 2 pts
18) Grumpy G*lfer 2 pts
19) Dagless 1 pt
20) Michaels 0 pts
21) Jules 0 pts
22) Ray Mears 0 pts
23) Stella 0 pts

Round 3 takes us to books and question was this:  WHAT IS THE BEST PIECE OF FICTION WRITTEN BY A EUROPEAN?

Please remember, THIS IS OPEN FOR ANYONE ON 606v2 TO VOTE

Thanks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup rd 3 (Books) - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup rd 3 (Books)

Post by kingraf Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 am

Galted wrote:Don't know what the fuss about Homer is.  Read about a third of the Odyssey (in English) and found it tedious.  Not unreadable but don't quite understand why it's regarded with the favour it is.  Gave up when I'd read about the rose-red fingers of dawn once too often.

While on the subject I read Ulysses a couple of years back and can't understand why it tops so many best book ever lists.  Joyce is clearly a superb writer but is too busy smugly showing off his talent to bother writing anything meaningful.  Can pick out any passage in the text and enjoy them but was decidedly underwhelmed by it in its entirety.

You're not a fan of Dostoevsky either. You're quite the uncouth Philistine
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu May 21, 2015 7:58 am

Love sacks. Have only read 2 of them and one was my pick. Will have to therefore go for the BFG, whichalbeit was pretty good.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 8:01 am

And proud to be one, kingraf. Hopefully one day I'll be able to not be a fan of Crime and Punishment in Russian as well. Apparently a lot gets lost in translation though I suspect none of what's lost is of any value.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 am

2 votes without voting for myself. This is going to be a good day.

Went for high fidelity

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu May 21, 2015 9:01 am

The Boss wrote:2 votes without voting for myself. This is going to be a good day.

Went for high fidelity

Same here Boss, two without voting for myself. Slightly disappointed not to see Quinny on the list though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu May 21, 2015 9:02 am

It was touch and go whether Quinn was fiction or non-fiction so went with the safe bet. Tino and his rules...

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 am

The Boss wrote:It was touch and go whether Quinn was fiction or non-fiction so went with the safe bet. Tino and his rules...

I'd have allowed it, Boss. For 2 reasons. Firstly, it made me l*l out loud the first time you PM'd me with it, and secondly, it would annoy some of the moaning old c*nts on here.

You can save it up for the Culture Cup III coming in 2022. There will be a round on best books written by tall strikers who have played for Sunderland.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 am

I've got a feeling that today's the day I get my first vote of the Culture Cup 2.0

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 9:14 am

I haven't voted yet. There is a possibility I could vote for yours, G-Unit.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu May 21, 2015 9:16 am

Can't wait Tino. Although I would suggest the rest of you get yourself out and buy the great man/crap commentator's autobiography. Yas are really missing out on a cracker

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 9:19 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
The Boss wrote:It was touch and go whether Quinn was fiction or non-fiction so went with the safe bet. Tino and his rules...

You can save it up for the Culture Cup III coming in 2022.

Won't it be too difficult to run 2 cups concurrently?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 9:21 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I haven't voted yet. There is a possibility I could vote for yours, G-Unit.

Then there will be some internet love coming your way.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Thu May 21, 2015 9:24 am

Very few on there that i've actually read, which made it easier to decide which one to go for. Went for High Fidelity.

If nothing else, this has shown me how little i've actually read, and perhaps i should branch out from books about the SAS or Navy SEALS.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu May 21, 2015 9:27 am

At least I have recieved a vote this time... Back of the net.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu May 21, 2015 9:34 am

Galted wrote:And proud to be one, kingraf. Hopefully one day I'll be able to not be a fan of Crime and Punishment in Russian as well. Apparently a lot gets lost in translation though I suspect none of what's lost is of any value.

To be fair, I'm not a big fan of Crime and Punishment. Much preferred The Idiot. Some of Plato's scientific work should be classified as fiction by now. Absolutely overrated
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu May 21, 2015 9:37 am

Two votes. I bloody love you Galted, and the other unspecified person who is yet to reveal themselves.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 9:46 am

Rowley wrote:Two votes. I bloody love you Galted, and the other unspecified person who is yet to reveal themselves.

You're welcome.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 21, 2015 9:50 am

Can I change my nomination to The War Of The Worlds by Jeff Wayne?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 9:52 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Can I change my nomination to The War Of The Worlds by Jeff Wayne?

No.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 21, 2015 9:55 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Can I change my nomination to The War Of The Worlds by Jeff Wayne?

No.

Can I change it to H G Wells 'Fargo'?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 9:56 am

You can't change it to anything so you may as well stop asking.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:

No.

Can I change it to H G Wells 'Fargo'?

I got that one! Frightfully witty, Julius.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu May 21, 2015 10:06 am

Rowley wrote:Two votes. I bloody love you Galted, and the other unspecified person who is yet to reveal themselves.

You're welcome.

I really hope it is you Tina, I consider two votes by you and Galted worth fifty by everyone else on here. (Jules excepted obviously)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 10:09 am

No it wasn't. I was joking.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 am

Brideshead Revisited is making a charge.

Who the hell is voting for that. Madness.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 am

The Womble wrote:I voted for that Tino, it's a classic and by far the BEST book on this list.

If only you knew how happy you will have made the poster who picked that.

You're a lovely man, Womble. A f*cking lovely man.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Brideshead Revisited is making a charge.

Who the hell is voting for that.  Madness.

Not all of Madness though. Probably just Suggs and Chas Smash.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 am

I voted for that Tino, it's a classic and by far the BEST book on this list.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 am

What is happening? Where did my comment go?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 am

Can I change mine to this:

Best Book Ever

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 am

The Womble wrote:I voted for that Tino, it's a classic and by far the BEST book on this list.

If only you knew how happy you will have made the poster who picked that.

You're a lovely man, Womble.  A f*cking lovely man.

My comment disappeared and has now appeared underneath this post.

I hope I have brought the poster who nominated it some sunshine into their life.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu May 21, 2015 10:18 am

Adam D wrote:Can I change mine to this:

Best Book Ever

Would prefer Britney Spears ATM

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu May 21, 2015 10:20 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:No it wasn't.  I was joking.

W@nker, Galted's vote was the one that really mattered to me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 10:29 am

YESSSSS!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!! YYYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 10:38 am

I BROKE
MY DUCK
IT'S BETTER THAN A F*CK
ROUND 3
ROUND 3

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 21, 2015 10:40 am

I got
A vote
That I really did not want
Round 3
P1sses me (off)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu May 21, 2015 10:45 am

As this is a place of intelligence can someone suggest a word to describe an illegitimate child?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I got
A vote
That I really did not want
Round 3
P1sses me (off)

No votes for my choice
JBeadlesBigRightHand left
Spitting the dummy

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 10:50 am

seanmichaels wrote:As this is a place of intelligence can someone suggest a word to describe an illegitimate child?

Sean?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu May 21, 2015 10:50 am

I have changed my vote. Didn't see Adrian Mole on there. That is a classic.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Brideshead Revisited is making a charge.

Who the hell is voting for that.  Madness.

Not all of Madness though. Probably just Suggs and Chas Smash.

They seem to have cancelled their votes. Probably out of Embarrassment.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 am

seanmichaels wrote:As this is a place of intelligence can someone suggest a word to describe an illegitimate child?

Sean?

Play the game.....

Or had you already been made aware of Adam's jiggerypokery?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 10:54 am

Sean?
Given that "b*stard" means "unwanted" I think "Sean" is a perfectly acceptable alternative

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 21, 2015 10:54 am

Love-child.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu May 21, 2015 10:55 am

DAVE667 wrote:

Sean?
Given that "b*stard" means "unwanted" I think "Sean" is a perfectly acceptable alternative

Saw a program on Bradford last night. Sheeesh

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 10:58 am

B*stards.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu May 21, 2015 11:01 am

Galted wrote:B*stards.

People are so bloody cruel, G-Unit.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 am

so what happens if you type in Tino has a tiny Winkle?

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Thu May 21, 2015 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ah, that's what happens if you type in bastard)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 am

My votes
are gone
this tournament's a con
suck piles
suck piles

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu May 21, 2015 11:04 am

sean wrote:Saw a program on Bradford last night. Sheeesh

Was it concerning modern day utopian living?

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next