The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v New Zealand, First Test Lord's

+26
Gooseberry
Nakatomi Plaza
JDizzle
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
robbo277
hampo17
kingraf
wisden
GSC
Mike Selig
guildfordbat
VTR
CaledonianCraig
banyun
Hoggy_Bear
Duty281
Corporalhumblebucket
Hammersmith harrier
NickisBHAFC
Liam
TightHEAD
alfie
Stella
Good Golly I'm Olly
msp83
30 posters

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England v New Zealand, First Test Lord's  - Page 5 Empty England v New Zealand, First Test Lord's

Post by msp83 Wed 20 May 2015, 8:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

So after all the drama and acrimony of the last couple of weeks, its time for the action to begin on the field. The first test of the English summer gets underway at the HQ from tomorrow. An upcoming New Zealand against an embattled England. But England are on home turf, New Zealand don't have a good record in England, most of their recent success has come at home, the core of their test side are just coming on the back of T-20 cricket at the IPL rather than much getting used to English conditions.
England on the other hand are without a coach and questions on Kevin Pietersen are going away nowhere. There are unsettled issues about the combination of the side, with the position of one of the openers, the 3rd seamer and the spinner being open questions.
Adam Lyth is likely to make his debut for England tomorrow, and there is a chance that Mark Wood might come in for Chris Jordan.
For New Zealand, it is being suggested that Matt Henry might get to debut and offer backup to Tim Southee and Trent Boult. Martin Guptill, on the back of a spectacular world cup and 150 in the warmup game is set to come back as test opener, and Corey Anderson, coming back from injury, is set to take the all-rounder position.
Set for some very interesting cricket.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v New Zealand, First Test Lord's  - Page 5 Empty Re: England v New Zealand, First Test Lord's

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 11:31 am

Two maidens in a row. Better. Need a break soon though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

England v New Zealand, First Test Lord's  - Page 5 Empty Re: England v New Zealand, First Test Lord's

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 May 2015, 11:33 am

Going out for half an hour or so. I'm trusting Olly and Hammersmith to deliver a couple more wickets in that time!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 23 May 2015, 11:36 am

Broad is bowling well - Anderson is not
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 May 2015, 11:56 am

Famous last words but I really don't rate McCullum as a test batsmen, having one very good series against India doesn't suddenly alter years of mediocrity.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 May 2015, 12:19 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Going out for half an hour or so. I'm trusting Olly and Hammersmith to deliver a couple more wickets in that time!

Well, I see you managed one anyway. Looking at the replay, an excellent catch by Buttler.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 May 2015, 12:36 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Famous last words but I really don't rate McCullum as a test batsmen, having one very good series against India doesn't suddenly alter years of mediocrity.

Hammersmith - I think you have to judge McCullum more for his approach than anything else. The aggression he brings is a potential game changer and contrasts with New Zealand batsmen of the past who generally were in the mould of accumulators and too often were overawed by their opponents.

Meanwhile, the 3 or 4 wickets during this session that I hoped for in my post before play seem a long way off as New Zealand edge ahead ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 12:36 pm

Needed more than one. I fear the game is running away from England now...going to trail by rather a lot , and will need to bat very well second time around to get out of this.

Mind you ; there are a lot of runs left in this pitch. So batting long and big is well possible. But the pressure of batting again after a longtime in the field will make it a tougher proposition than NZ are currently facing. Broad has bowled very well today ; but just one wicket is not enough to change things. Hard to see how England can peg them back short of 550 from here...and those runs are coming quickly.

McCullum starting to tee off now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 May 2015, 12:42 pm

That is why I don't rate McCullum, it's just mindless slogging.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 12:43 pm

Aha ! I got McCullum Very Happy

The old Trebell reverse...

Wood on the board at last.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 12:46 pm

Could be a good review here...

Ah ...bloody umpire's call. So close...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 May 2015, 12:46 pm

How the hell is that umpire's call, this is getting ridiculous, THAT IS OUT.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 12:52 pm

Very nearly an exceptional over from Wood . That looked out to me live...admit I was surprised it was so marginal according to Hawkeye.
But fair enough : NZ had a couple of very close ones turned down on day one.

Oddly things seem to be happening with the ball all of a sudden ; NZ might be glad to see lunch ; while England will be desperate for one more wicket now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 12:55 pm

Rain. Off early.

Four down , eighteen on. NZ pretty happy. But England have stuck to their task , without a lot of luck.

Could be an interesting afternoon. Weather permitting.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 23 May 2015, 1:03 pm

Wood has been pretty impressive as has Stokes without much luck. New Zealand in the box-seat for now and you feel that the next session will go some way to shaping this test. If New Zealand get to tea around 100 ahead with only say 6 wickets down then England will be thinking chiefly about saving the test. England need to roll out New Zealand for 460 or something and I cannot see that happening.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 May 2015, 1:16 pm

alfie wrote:Have to say not too surprised. Botham flagged earlier that he was cutting it close all the time.

What is it with these young quicks ?  (Stokes as well)

Maybe the way umpires rarely call them "live" contributes. Though that presumably doesn't happen in the CC..,

Hi Alfie - meant to respond to this yesterday.

Yes, I think umpires rarely calling them ''live'' does contribute. Umpires do seem to call more in the CC and particularly appear to be on the look out for known offenders. In his last season at Surrey, Jordan had a lot of trouble with over-stepping and was regularly called (Sussex have apparently sorted that out).

Wasn't so in Tests back in the day. The first Test I went to was in '71 at Edgbaston against Pakistan. That's remembered by most old timers as the match where Zaheer Abbas cracked 274. However, I also recall it for the first ball of the match (from Alan Ward) being called a no-ball!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 1:54 pm

Thanks for that , guildford. Beats me why bowlers so often waste energy for the sake of a couple of meaningless inches. I even get annoyed seeing young bowlers cheerfully overstepping in the nets ; and often suggest to them they ought to train as they want to play...
Don't think I've been called for overstepping since about 1975 ...too much effort running up six times an over let alone an extra one Smile
Then again ; when I was about 18 I remember once being called five times in one over. Young bowlers ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 2:08 pm

Still no restart ? How's the sky looking over London ...worth my staying up ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 2:50 pm

So they made it back out.

Four more byes...62 extras ! Going for the record ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 3:00 pm

Wood not having much luck. Reckon he's bowled rather better than 1/78 suggests.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 3:05 pm

alfie wrote:Wood not having much luck.  Reckon he's bowled rather better than 1/78 suggests.

But some luck now ! Strangles Anderson down the leg side , with the aid of another terrific catch by Buttler clap

Truthfully , England have been a little unlucky all round . NZ rightfully on top : but not sure 420/5 represents "justice"

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 May 2015, 3:06 pm

2/79 looks so much better. That second wicket is so important to the bowler in all forms of the game - eh, Alfie? Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 23 May 2015, 3:07 pm

Wood has looked very good. Beaten the bat numerous times and has hostility about him. You feel he will only get better with time.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 May 2015, 3:09 pm

Going completely against what Nick said yesterday, Wood has been more threatening than I think Jordan would have been.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 3:17 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Going completely against what Nick said yesterday, Wood has been more threatening than I think Jordan would have been.

I'd agree with that ! Not to totally diss Jordan - I think he has promise. But Wood has been quite impressive , if a bit raw.

Stokes unlucky now ...Bell should have caught that. Not having a good match...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 May 2015, 3:18 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Going completely against what Nick said yesterday, Wood has been more threatening than I think Jordan would have been.

Yeah, unusual for such a leading figure of the game not to be spot on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 May 2015, 3:24 pm

This spell from Wood has been superb so far, the New Zealand lead is as much about luck as it is deserved.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 3:29 pm

This has been some spell from Wood. Beating Williamson outside off , and finding his edge ; despite his sitting on 122. And he's had Watling in a fair bit of trouble.

He'll have days where he bowls much worse and takes four or five.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 May 2015, 3:34 pm

Just to echo the last couple of posts - Wood is bowling really well here. He may be a bit raw as Alfie suggested earlier but there's a lot of ability to work with.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 23 May 2015, 3:41 pm

New Zealand are quite far ahead aren't they? Really hard to believe at times that this is with the odd exception nearly the same team that we bundled out for 45 two years ago. Never far from redemption in cricket. Scoring at nearly four over 112 overs is really really good going. England suffering from a lack of a containing talent.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 3:50 pm

From a future viewpoint , this patch of play from Stokes and Wood has been quite encouraging. Stokes has had nothing go his way ; and even if he does still bowl way too many loose deliveries , he appears to be improving - a good return or two may be just around the corner.

For today , despite a spirited showing , England just aren't making enough progress. Unless there is a clatter of wickets NZ are heading for a very significant lead. Enland will need to show some character with the bat to save this.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 3:52 pm

kingraf wrote:New Zealand are quite far ahead aren't they? Really hard to believe at times that this is with the odd exception nearly the same team that we bundled out for 45 two years ago. Never far from redemption in cricket. Scoring at nearly four over 112 overs is really really good going. England suffering from a lack of a containing talent.

Actually eight of them were in the team that England dismissed for 68 two years ago.

Players can improve , eh ? And there are good days and bad days...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 23 May 2015, 4:03 pm

Bowling performance has been nothing short of disgraceful

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 4:03 pm

Moeen to have his first go with this ball. Might be the signal for NZ to up the tempo ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 May 2015, 4:06 pm

Is there any point of your input on this site Nick?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 4:12 pm

End of a fine innings ! Williamson falls to Moeen ...

Leaves his team in a very strong position clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 23 May 2015, 4:13 pm

Well batted from a very good player.

Ali striking, agreed the above comment about the tempo starting to pick up at both ends.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 23 May 2015, 4:13 pm

MOEEN!!!!!!!!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 4:14 pm

Two in a row for Moeen !

Reviewed , but surely out ?

Gone OK

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 23 May 2015, 4:15 pm

The I'm Hammersmith harrier wrote:Is there any point of your input on this site Nick?
Not really

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 May 2015, 4:19 pm

Good effort today by England.

Wrap the tail up quickly, stick a tenner on England to triumph (14/1!), and see what develops.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 23 May 2015, 4:23 pm

Duty281 wrote:Good effort today by England.

Wrap the tail up quickly, stick a tenner on England to triumph (14/1!), and see what develops.

I admire your steadfast confidence. New Zealand look set to have a minimum lead of 100 runs after the first innings. Very handy indeed. If England are to turn this around they need all of their top order batsmen to contribute.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 4:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:Good effort today by England.

I'd want a bit better than 14-1 from here Smile

Though they are fighting hard ; that lead is heading towards 100 and still three to get. Southee is no mug , and will go for his shots , so we could see some fireworks.

Some rain due tomorrow , I gather. So I think a draw is a more likely target for England than a win. But the way this game has moved on , who knows ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 4:38 pm

Jimmy hasn't been at his best this innings , but he has a wicket at last as Southee gets too ambitious.

Wonder what Henry is like with the bat ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 May 2015, 4:48 pm

Handy apparently
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 May 2015, 4:49 pm

New Zealand are probably in a win win situation here as long as they don't hang around and waste time.

Either quick runs that bat an unlikely England win scenario out or they get a go at England with a decent lead
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 May 2015, 4:52 pm

One would suspect the biggest impediment to England in the 2nd Innings will be their own mental fragility. Not sure either side have bowled particularly well, but there aren't many demons in this pitch
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 23 May 2015, 4:52 pm

507/8 at tea.

England have fought hard to - just about - stay in the game. Will feel they've not had much go their way : that overrule on a low "catch" by Joe Root is somehow symbolic of how it's gone today.

But NZ remain firmly in the driver's seat. Hope England can come back with the bat.

Goodnight all.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 23 May 2015, 5:37 pm

This is an ideal test for Adam Lyth. Testing conditions and pressure on.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 May 2015, 5:49 pm

Ideal or a nightmare situation?

Would have been far better placed had the selectors done the right thing and selected him against the West Indies, everything that goes wrong now just highlights the incompetence behind the scenes.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 May 2015, 5:51 pm

Eh. Trotts record and the manner of his departure meant I couldn't complain too much about a recall. It was fairly obvious when he played that time was up however, hindsight is 20:20
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next