The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is cheating football style the future of rugby?

+5
Pete330v2
The Great Aukster
Notch
VinceWLB
Chunky Norwich
9 posters

Go down

Is cheating football style the future of rugby? Empty Is cheating football style the future of rugby?

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 9:37 pm

With the sad decline in integrity, competency and fairness of refereeing, certainly in the disgraceful pro12, we saw today that to get the (correct) result, that a player had to take the game in to his own hands, and effectively con the referee by diving. I personally would never condone this.

But he did it.

And his team won.

This moment was PIVOTAL in the game.

Is this what is to come unless we see NEUTRAL refereeing. From officials that aren't employed by the same organisation as the players they are refereeing?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Is cheating football style the future of rugby? Empty Re: Is cheating football style the future of rugby?

Post by VinceWLB Fri May 22, 2015 9:47 pm

It's been trending since a couple of years, top 14 is a lot worse in that regard i can tell you. Only super rugby seems to have kept some integrity.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Is cheating football style the future of rugby? Empty Re: Is cheating football style the future of rugby?

Post by Notch Fri May 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Yes, I'm sure if the referee had a Welsh accent Matawalu would have acted entirely differently.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Notch wrote:Yes, I'm sure if the referee had a Welsh accent Matawalu would have acted entirely differently.

You ok hun?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 pm

It's a genuine topic. This is creeping in to the game. Because of the officiating.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri May 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Life is full of disappointments, but I wouldn't worry about me. You, on the other hand, have been out to wind up Ulster fans all season. It would be very easy for you to try and continue now. But that would be unnecessarily antagonistic and endanger your future on the forum both in the long-term and short. Be a good sport and it'll be fine.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 10:03 pm

There was no need to bring up Ulster. You did that.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri May 22, 2015 10:03 pm

It all started with Harlequins bloodgate.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri May 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Please remove this complete t.,w.,a.,t someone.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri May 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:There was no need to bring up Ulster. You did that.

Anyone with a shred of intelligence knows exactly what you are doing, Chunky. You are trying to be subtle and it may fool a few posters on here (ScarletsSpiderman comes to mind) but you are making this forum very unpleasant for everyone else. I am sure that is the reaction you desire, but I suspect (and hope) you will only be allowed to go so far with it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Sorry but I believe the subject matter needs to be discussed.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 pm

It's showing your chavvy side chunkles now please do one

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 pm

If you disagree with the sentiment, please explain why.

Whinging makes you look like a bad sport.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Cheating became 'de rigeur' when Welsh Skipper Matthew Rees threw Mike Phillips the quick throw to beat Ireland and got away with it.

I suppose it's unsurprising that countries that have a big football presence like England and Wales are more prone to it. Matawalu will do well at Bath.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 pm

Exagerating impacts is creeping into the game.

However absolutely bugger all to do with refs and all down to WR insisting outcome is penalised rather than the action.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:

I suppose it's unsurprising that countries that have a big football presence like England and Wales are more prone to it. Matawalu will do well at Bath.

Says Ireland. The country obsessed with English football.

Lets not take the debate in that direction. There is a serious issue at hand.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 10:38 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

However absolutely bugger all to do with refs and all down to WR insisting outcome is penalised rather than the action.

You see, this is my entire point.

Tonight shows that it IS ABSOLUTELY to do with refs. And the players had to do something to counter the performance of the officiating. One of them did it.............and what he did, in my opinion ultimitaley won them the game.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri May 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Chunky, I find it incredible how people can come on here and talk about 'football style' cheating like play-acting. 

To me there's no 'future' about it. Holding in rucks, shirt pulling, blocking have been a happily ignored form of cheating for years now. 

You don't call for sticter refereeing and citing of these type of cheats as far as I have seen.

There's no heirarchy. You either play with honour or you don't.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri May 22, 2015 10:46 pm

clivemcl wrote:Chunky, I find it incredible how people can come on here and talk about 'football style' cheating like play-acting. 

To me there's no 'future' about it. Holding in rucks, shirt pulling, blocking have been a happily ignored form of cheating for years now. 

You don't call for sticter refereeing and citing of these type of cheats as far as I have seen.

I totally agree.

It's just that winning was more than honour tonight.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri May 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Cheating became 'de rigeur' when Welsh Skipper Matthew Rees threw Mike Phillips the quick throw to beat Ireland and got away with it.

Says Ireland. The country obsessed with English football.

Lets not take the debate in that direction. There is  a serious issue at hand.

Sorry I though this was a serious thread about cheating - I should have known better. Rolling Eyes

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri May 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
clivemcl wrote:Chunky, I find it incredible how people can come on here and talk about 'football style' cheating like play-acting. 

I totally agree.

It's just that winning was more than honour tonight.

There is NO difference between pulling a shirt and over-acting. Both are equally NOT skills that contribute towards the excellence of the sport.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Fri May 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Chunky Knob

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 11:14 pm

As much as I hate to see the sort of behaviour displayed by Matawalu, Ulster didn't lose the game because of him. Not using our bench probably cost us. I say probably because Glasgow were intense throughout the game, even though they lost a couple to injury early on, and their defence was outstanding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down