The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

+31
True Raven
Breadvan
PhilBB
RiscaGame
Stone Motif
mikey_dragon
Welshmushroom
Fanster
doctornickolas
madmaccas
lostinwales
Irish Londoner
XR
Pyleboy65
Luckless Pedestrian
PenfroPete
dragon4life
offload
munkian
The Saint
Steffan
ScarletSpiderman
Shifty
Cardiff Dave
Coleman
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
Chunky Norwich
LordDowlais
HammerofThunor
GavinDragon
35 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 6 Empty Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by GavinDragon Tue 02 Jun 2015, 4:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/merthyr-rfc-set-become-new-9377183

Thoughts?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 6 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by GavinDragon Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:36 pm

stupid - i applaud the decision to invest in the clubhouse and facilities but to spend that money on players at that level is a fools errand

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 6 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by LordDowlais Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

GavinDragon wrote:stupid - i applaud the decision to invest in the clubhouse and facilities but to spend that money on players at that level is a fools errand

I guess they will not be having any funding from the WRU anymore. Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:stupid - i applaud the decision to invest in the clubhouse and facilities but to spend that money on players at that level is a fools errand

I'm sure Gareth Davies will bring in some rule to help his mates out so that buying and paying all these players is ok

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:47 pm

they only lose 4k dont they? Hardly worth worrying about when you consider the money being put into the club

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:56 pm

GavinDragon wrote:they only lose 4k dont they? Hardly worth worrying about when you consider the money being put into the club
Sir Stanley drops that in loose change everytime he buys a round in the clubhouse

I still think that when they make the Premiership they should sign Dan Carter

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 22 Jun 2015, 7:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

What's the crack though LD? Why all this sudden investment in Merthyr RFC?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 7:19 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Why all this sudden investment in Merthyr RFC?
So the Pieman can teach Ponty a lesson init

Not sure what lesson is going to be learnt mind but that's the plan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 22 Jun 2015, 7:47 pm

Steffan wrote:

Maybe that if you bite the hand that feeds often enough, eventually it'll slap you in the face and start feeding someone else.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 7:54 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Maybe that if you bite the hand that feeds often enough, eventually it'll slap you in the face and start feeding someone else.
And how exactly do Ponty bite the hand that feeds them? Sure they have a moan and stuff but Ponty play ball with the Blues just as much as any other team in the Premiership does. Who exactly are Cardiff Blues going to feed anyway?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:14 pm

Steffan wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Steffan wrote:

And how exactly do Ponty bite the hand that feeds them? Sure they have a moan and stuff but Ponty play ball with the Blues just as much as any other team in the Premiership does. Who exactly are Cardiff Blues going to feed anyway?

I think letting the him who trolls twitter write the tripe in their matchday programme probably counts as a slight hand nipping...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:15 pm

Ponty have to supply Cardiff Blues with players and Cardiff Blues have to supply Ponty with players its a simple as that. If they didn't here's what would happen (if Ponty choose to):

Ponty guy: Hi there. Cardiff Blues are not giving us a fair share of our quota players

WRU guy: Ah ok we will tell them to

Ponty guy: Cheers

WRU guy: Give Ponty there fair share of players as per region and club agreement

Cardiff guy: Ok

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:28 pm

Steffan wrote:Ponty have to supply Cardiff Blues with players and Cardiff Blues have to supply Ponty with players its a simple as that. If they didn't here's what would happen (if Ponty choose to):

Ponty guy: Hi there. Cardiff Blues are not giving us a fair share of our quota players

WRU guy: Give Ponty there fair share of players as per region and club agreement

Didn't realise that Cardiff had to supply Ponty with players for free or that there was a defined quota. Is this true Steff?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:37 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Steffan wrote:Ponty have to supply Cardiff Blues with players and Cardiff Blues have to supply Ponty with players its a simple as that. If they didn't here's what would happen (if Ponty choose to):

Didn't realise that Cardiff had to supply Ponty with players for free or that there was a defined quota. Is this true Steff?
I'm not fully sure on the full logistics of the case but there is rules in place so that premiership clubs are entitled to receive a certain level of players if wanted the same as the regions are entitled to take any players or coaches from the clubs

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:49 pm

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I'm not fully sure on the full logistics of the case but there is rules in place so that premiership clubs are entitled to receive a certain level of players if wanted the same as the regions are entitled to take any players or coaches from the clubs

Hey Steff check it out. Two threads locked for some reason. Must be something you said I reckon.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:52 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Hey Steff check it out. Two threads locked for some reason. Must be something you said I reckon
Not this ship sister

I been a good boy all day despite some peoples efforts to wind me up. But yeah the forum has gone into lockdown

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 22 Jun 2015, 9:01 pm

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Hey Steff check it out. Two threads locked for some reason. Must be something you said I reckon
Not this ship sister

I been a good boy all day despite some peoples efforts to wind me up. But yeah the forum has gone into lockdown

Reminds of the run up to CCS.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 28 Jun 2015, 11:23 am

Here we go boys, it looks all official now:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/radical-shake-up-principality-premiership-amid-9524669

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 28 Jun 2015, 10:04 pm

Any news on Merthyr signing Dan Carter yet?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 29 Jun 2015, 9:19 pm

Steffan wrote:Any news on Merthyr signing Dan Carter yet?

Never heard of him. Ponty player is he?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:10 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Steffan wrote:Any news on Merthyr signing Dan Carter yet?

Never heard of him. Ponty player is he?
Who needs Dan Carter when you got Ceri Sweeney and Jarrod Evans...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:38 am

And now the fallout begins:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/33337686

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:52 am

We are building quite the team up here now, we have signed the following players so far we have already recruited ex-Ospreys centre David Bishop, former Wales U20s outside-half Matthew Jarvis, Ebbw Vale scrum-half Rhys Downes, Bedwas lock Phil Rees, Ebbw Vale back rower Gareth “Denver” Williams, plus Pontypridd forwards Craig Locke and James Howe, while Cardiff Blues prop Tau Filise is likely to be involved after the World Cup.

Look out Premiership, here we come. Yahoo

oh and our A license looks all in order:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/merthyr-rfc-insist-theyll-facilities-9500260

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:58 am

Not quite the names that were touted though.

We and our. You really are on board now aren't you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:59 am

LordDowlais wrote:And now the fallout begins:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/33337686

Yoou have to say a mid season split and playoffs would've added spice to it next season!!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:02 pm

Risca Rev wrote:We and our. You really are on board now aren't you.

Yep, and why shouldn't I ? I am sure if it was Risca getting this treatment you would be on board as well ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:11 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Yep, and why shouldn't I ? I am sure if it was Risca getting this treatment you would be on board as well ?

So your happy with Tau Fillise signing? Isn't he an over the hill journeyman NWQ stopping the progression of local welsh talent?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:14 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

So your happy with Tau Fillise signing?  Isn't he an over the hill journeyman NWQ stopping the progression of local welsh talent?

No that is a crap signing, I am however on board with Merthyr being in the Welsh Prem, having a brand spanking new ground, and I am looking forward to the Welsh prem next season. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Chill out Dowlais mun. Wow, you're tetchy.

Difference is, I've never stopped supporting Risca.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Chill out Dowlais mun. Wow, you're tetchy.

Difference is, I've never stopped supporting Risca.

Sorry Risca, when I was typing it it was meant to come across in an upbeat way. Sometimes things can be read differently to the way they are meant.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:22 pm

Lord, personally I think he will be good for passing on knowledge, but I remember you stance on NWQs so was just double checking thumbsup I hope Merthyr do get all the improvements sorted out and completed in time to get into the prem, but you still need to feel for Bargoed who look likely have missed out for good now.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:25 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:but I remember you stance on NWQs

I do not have a stance on NWQ signings per say, just crap ones who offer sod all to Welsh rugby, and everybody knows we have had too many of those at the regions as of late. Cardiff being the worst offenders.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:37 pm

What is the actual issue with Bargoed not bring allowed to come up - I thought that the London Welsh judgement did for the idea that a club who won promotion should be denied due to lack of facilities?
I note that as well as winning the league they also defeated Merthyr in the cup so why can't they come up when from a rugby perspective they are the best side in the second division.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 01 Jul 2015, 3:56 pm

LordDowlais wrote:We are building quite the team up here now, we have signed the following players so far we have already recruited ex-Ospreys centre David Bishop, former Wales U20s outside-half Matthew Jarvis, Ebbw Vale scrum-half Rhys Downes, Bedwas lock Phil Rees, Ebbw Vale back rower Gareth “Denver” Williams, plus Pontypridd forwards Craig Locke and James Howe, while Cardiff Blues prop Tau Filise is likely to be involved after the World Cup.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/merthyr-rfc-insist-theyll-facilities-9500260

As long as you realise a number of your players, particularly the experienced ones will also be turning out for the Blues A side (or whatever they're calling it)?

Looks like they're also introducing a conference system in the Prem... I guess it's a bit different to my proposed upper and lower tier - with that you still get the promotion and relegation battle; The Saint suggested it to try and keep everyone happy... I guess the conference system would work as long as there's teams of mixed abilities in both.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 01 Jul 2015, 3:59 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:What is the actual issue with Bargoed not bring allowed to come up - I thought that the London Welsh judgement did for the idea that a club who won promotion should be denied due to lack of facilities?
I note that as well as winning the league they also defeated Merthyr in the cup so why can't they come up when from a rugby perspective they are the best side in the second division.

I guess it's a bit different when there is fully professional teams involved. This isn't the first time btw, as Bargoed also won it last year. We acknowledged it. You're better off directing these questions at the WRU. It sure is a kick in the teeth for Bargoed.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 01 Jul 2015, 4:04 pm

The Saint wrote:As long as you realise a number of your players, particularly the experienced ones will also be turning out for the Blues A side (or whatever they're calling it)?

As long as Cardiff are paying towards them, some of these people are going to be getting paid good money by Merthyr RFC. The Bedwas captain will be on 20+ grand a year and the Tongan will be on about a grand a week so I am being told.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 01 Jul 2015, 4:11 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Saint wrote:As long as you realise a number of your players, particularly the experienced ones will also be turning out for the Blues A side (or whatever they're calling it)?

As long as Cardiff are paying towards them, some of these people are going to be getting paid good money by Merthyr RFC. The Bedwas captain will be on 20+ grand a year and the Tongan will be on about a grand a week so I am being told.

That's pretty ridiculous. So do you think will this cause animosity and disputes between Cardiff and Merthyr then? Remember, Merthyr are being strengthened so they can become a feeder to the pro teams (Blues and Blues A) in their region. The owners of the pro team are helping do it with money from their own pocket in order to grow the game in this area and improve relationships.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm

I wonder if Ponty will release our player for the Cardiff Blues A thingy for the B&I Cup. Hopefully not as we need all our best players for the league and cup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:45 pm

LordDowlais wrote:We are building quite the team up here now, we have signed the following players so far we have already recruited ex-Ospreys centre David Bishop, former Wales U20s outside-half Matthew Jarvis, Ebbw Vale scrum-half Rhys Downes, Bedwas lock Phil Rees, Ebbw Vale back rower Gareth “Denver” Williams, plus Pontypridd forwards Craig Locke and James Howe, while Cardiff Blues prop Tau Filise is likely to be involved after the World Cup.

Cheque book feckin Charlies. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:47 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Discount Toulon?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:29 pm

Fanster wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Discount Toulon?

Discount Tyres?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:54 pm

Ahhhh, I wish we had them back as sponsors

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 02 Jul 2015, 8:12 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Ahhhh, I wish we had them back as sponsors

Friday 19 July 2013
NEWPORT-based Discount Tyres has gone into administration with the loss of 25 jobs.
The firm closed its branches in Cardiff and Cwmbran as well as the flagship site on Usk , in Newport, after it went into voluntary administration on Monday.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/10560578.Newport_tyre_firm_goes_bust/

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:42 pm

Ok pity, we need some other phallus shaped logo then

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 03 Jul 2015, 1:49 pm

Ha ha. Ponty have invoiced Merthyr for players.

Pontypridd have been branded fearful and envious by Merthyr’s multi-millionaire backer Sir Stan Thomas, with a bitter row having erupted between the two valleys clubs.

Premiership champions Ponty are unhappy over the way ambitious Championship outfit Merthyr have signed up some of their leading players, with forwards Craig Locke and James Howe having already switched to The Wern.

They maintain they have received no formal approach from the Ironmen and are calling for “the usual courtesy and protocol” to be adhered to over the transfer of players from one club to another.

Now the dispute has stepped up a level, with Thomas launching a blistering counter to Ponty’s statement.

He claims the Sardis side have demanded £9,000 for second-row Locke, but insists they won’t receive a penny, as the player - who has confirmed his move - is a free agent.

Thomas has gone further by saying Ponty are driven by fear and envy over his plans to make Merthyr a major force in Welsh club rugby.

“One of our committee men, Peter Morgan, has received a letter from Pontypridd including an invoice for £9,000 for the transfer of Craig Locke to Merthyr,” he said.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 03 Jul 2015, 2:50 pm

Could't really care less about the £9,000 invoice regardless of whether Ponty were on the wrong or right about it

I find it a sad state of affairs though that two Premiership winning players are leaving a club to join a championship outfit. You would hope players in Welsh rugby would want to play at the highest level possible

"Sir" Stanley says:

“Why should we pay £9,000 for him? This isn’t professional rugby. These players are semi pro and entitled to go to whichever club they wish.

Maybe you shouldn't have to pay £9,000 but don't claim this to be an even playing semi-professional field when you are blatantly flashing the cash around and trying to bypass clubs such as Bargoed who won the league

“It’s just Ponty stirring the soup up again. It’s fear and envy.

Envious of what exactly? Being Premiership winners as opposed to finishing third in a lower league?

“They are fearful of Merthyr, with me behind the club, and afraid of what is going to happen, with a new, strong valleys side coming into the Premiership.

Laugh Careful Stanley...might not be able to get your head through the door of the patrons bar at this point

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 03 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

Looks like blatant fear and envy to me. I hope when the stadium is finished there's a big sign over it saying "Home of Valleys rugby".

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 03 Jul 2015, 2:54 pm

As I have said all along, even in the so called amateur days there wasn't such a thing as a level playing field and some players will always be tempted by more money or flashier cars etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 03 Jul 2015, 2:58 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:I hope when the stadium is finished there's a big sign over it saying "Home of Valleys rugby".
Why?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 03 Jul 2015, 2:59 pm

Steffan wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:I hope when the stadium is finished there's a big sign over it saying "Home of Valleys rugby".
Why?

To annoy Ponty.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 03 Jul 2015, 3:00 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Steffan wrote:
Why?

To annoy Ponty.
Why? What have Ponty done to you?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next