The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

THE BEST EVER DEBUT ALBUM

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 7 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 5 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 7 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]
Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
 
Total Votes : 58
 
Poll closed

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 04 Jun 2015, 3:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Round 4 of the Culture Cup 2.0 comes to an end and thank the heavens for that.  As is standard for 2.0, there were some beauties and some utter sh*te picked in this round.  The big winner was The Boss who (after he had put down his Niall Quinn autobiography and chosen his film) picked up maximum points for One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.  It’s a quality film so no complaints from me.  Trebs scooped up a healthy 8 points for Silence Of The Lambs which is also a tremendous film so again, no complaints here.  Michaels got a lovely present of 8 points for his pick of Forrest Gump.  That’s right folks, Forrest f*cking Gump.  C&R also claimed 8 points with The Godfather.  GrumpyG*lfer picked up 6 points for To Kill A Mockingbird which I also voted for.  Cracking film.  Weeman also picked up 6 points for Raging Bull.  So Forrest f*cking Gump is better than Raging Bull and To Kill A Mockingbird.  Forrest f*cking Gump.  

Lots of posters managed to score a big fat headed zero, including Jeff for On The Waterfront and his arch rival Nicola Sturgeon superfly who, although he did get one vote, won’t be picking up any points as he failed to understand a very simple question and his pick of Lawrence Of Arabia fell outside the criteria.  Jules will be disappointed to pick up some points for Annie Hall, but Galted will be devastated that no votes appeared for Amadeus.  He saw Rupert Grint once.  In a play.  L*l.  He also saw Laura Dern in a film.  Double l*l out loud.  Galted is a really funny guy.  Dresses like a utter spazz but doesn’t let that hold him back in life.  A solid 4 points for Hero keeps our resident champ at the top of the league but he can feel the hot breath of a few men down his neck now.  He’ll enjoy that, no doubt.  The only points Stella has managed to accrue have come from a book I picked for him.  Perhaps the biggest surprise was Union Cane who picked up zero votes for his first choice of The Iron Lady.

Here is the updated league table:

1) Hero 30 pts
2) Paul 24 pts
3) Trebs 24 pts
4) C&R 20 pts
5) The Boss 19 pts
6) Harrier 16 pts
7) Ziggler 16 pts
8) Michaels 16 pts (will be deducted 2 points at the end of the tournament for being a pr*ck)
9) Fat head Adam 15 pts
10) GrumpyG*lfer 14 pts
11) Azzy 11 pts
12) Nakatomi 11 pts
13) weeman 11 pts
14) SerialDAVE 9 pts
15) Jeff 8 pts
16) Shah Abu-bakr 7 pts
17) Beadle 6 pts
18) Jules 5 pts
19) superfly 4 pts
20) Union Cane 3 pts
21) Dagless 3 pts
22) Stella 2 pts
23) Ray Mears big fat zero pts

Round 5 is back to music so please see the poll for THE BEST EVER DEBUT ALBUM.  

Remember, IT’S OPEN FOR ALL OF 606v2 TO VOTE.

Thanks.


Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 18831
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down


Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Thu 04 Jun 2015, 4:58 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Agreed. Disappointed my second pick, Lauryn Hill, didnt make it into the list

Ah man, forgot all about Miseducation. Absolutely cracking album. Voted for my first choice. NWA's a great inclusion as well.

Nakatomi Plaza

Posts : 2812
Join date : 2012-07-27
Location : Suplex City

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by The Boss Thu 04 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm

Something wrong this round Tino. I was able to vote without being logged in. I've another vote to use now I've logged in.

The Boss

Posts : 1267
Join date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:08 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:The Lexicon Of Love has no votes.  It is as sh1t as Gone With The Wind.

Gone With The Wind is a great film! Not close to the best film featuring an Oscar winner, but when all the better choices have been taken, and when illegal entries are permitted, what can you do?

Gone With the Wind was my nomination. You have to see it on the big screen to appreciate the epic nature of it - which I doubt many here have. I was fairly sure it wouldn't get any votes even though it's better than most of the ones that did get votes.

I was rather disappointed Voltaire got a vote. I googled 'Famous French novels' and chose it at random from the list, expecting nil points.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Posts : 20101
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Paisley Park

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm

I was disappointed my pick of On The Waterfront got a zilch as it is a genuinely great piece of work. My vote this time I fully expect my impending zero.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:22 pm

Rowley wrote:I was disappointed my pick of On The Waterfront got a zilch as it is a genuinely great piece of work. My vote this time I fully expect my impending zero.

The Flying Burrito Brothers?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Posts : 20101
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Paisley Park

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:24 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Rowley wrote:I was disappointed my pick of On The Waterfront got a zilch as it is a genuinely great piece of work. My vote this time I fully expect my impending zero.

The Flying Burrito Brothers?


Yep, love the album, but pretty much accept I will be the only person who feels that way. May be the only person who has actually heard it to be fair.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by dancingweeman Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

Had to go Oasis, which despite not being in my 3 nominations, really should've been.

Massive oversight there.

Can't complain though, my choice has been mentioned positivey twice. Although its yet to score a point.

dancingweeman

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-03-14

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by dancingweeman Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

Oh - and Sam Smith?!

dancingweeman

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-03-14

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:34 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:The Lexicon Of Love has no votes.  It is as sh1t as Gone With The Wind.

Gone With The Wind is a great film! Not close to the best film featuring an Oscar winner, but when all the better choices have been taken, and when illegal entries are permitted, what can you do?

Gone With the Wind was my nomination. You have to see it on the big screen to appreciate the epic nature of it - which I doubt many here have. I was fairly sure it wouldn't get any votes even though it's better than most of the ones that did get votes.

I was rather disappointed Voltaire got a vote. I googled 'Famous French novels' and chose it at random from the list, expecting nil points.

I don't think Gone With The Wind was yours. Tino sent me a PM saying I'd got it.

Perhaps Tino is just the online pseudonym of a Mr S Blatter, and the Culture Cup has been rigged from the start. I wouldn't put it past a few of the other posters to have slipped Tino a few packets of Wotsits and a Curly Wurly to enhance their prestige with a high placing in the Culture Cup.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Posts : 719
Join date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:40 pm

Tina is so rich already none of us could afford to bribe him. If there is foul play afoot incompetence seems a far more likely explanation.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:40 pm

Rowley wrote:Tina is so rich already none of us could afford to bribe him. If there is foul play afoot incompetence seems a far more likely explanation.

Or violence induced confusion

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15713
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 35
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Trebs Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:50 pm

Not a lot of current stuff on there is there?

Trebs

Posts : 14649
Join date : 2011-05-16
Age : 58
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:56 pm

All I know is that four people on here are worth the swear filter

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 23976
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 32
Location : You got a fast rIck, Shah got a bomb to get us outta Jules. Galted been working at the Hi-Tec store, Managed to save PJ a little bit of money. Won't have to drive Hibbz far, Just 'cross the border and LostinWales. Tino and Fly can both get jobs and finally see what it means to be Michaels

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:58 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:All I know is that four people on here are worth the swear filter

Wadi You mean?

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15713
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 35
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2015, 6:01 pm

Rowley wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote: Stone Roses album is a little overrated for me. Some gold on that, but some absolute crud too.


I'll f*cking hunt you down and f*cking kill you, you wrestling watching sweaty bell end. Watch your back.

You gonna come up from behind, Rowley? You gonna bang my drum? I've heard you don't stop there. But sadly for you, Elizabeth my dear, I'll have to shoot you down. For as much as I wanna be adored by you, I'm made of stone and will have to say bye bye bad man. This is the one time I'll tell you this, so get that waterfall of emotions right out. And as you cry to your sugar spun sister, she'll tell you that reward you chased was fools gold. I can't blame you though, Jeph, I am the resurrection after all.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 23976
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 32
Location : You got a fast rIck, Shah got a bomb to get us outta Jules. Galted been working at the Hi-Tec store, Managed to save PJ a little bit of money. Won't have to drive Hibbz far, Just 'cross the border and LostinWales. Tino and Fly can both get jobs and finally see what it means to be Michaels

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2015, 6:02 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:All I know is that four people on here are worth the swear filter

Wadi You mean?

They definitely maybe are.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 23976
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 32
Location : You got a fast rIck, Shah got a bomb to get us outta Jules. Galted been working at the Hi-Tec store, Managed to save PJ a little bit of money. Won't have to drive Hibbz far, Just 'cross the border and LostinWales. Tino and Fly can both get jobs and finally see what it means to be Michaels

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Stella Thu 04 Jun 2015, 8:08 pm

Not an Oasis fan, dolph?
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 04 Jun 2015, 8:35 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:The Lexicon Of Love has no votes.  It is as sh1t as Gone With The Wind.

Gone With The Wind is a great film! Not close to the best film featuring an Oscar winner, but when all the better choices have been taken, and when illegal entries are permitted, what can you do?

Gone With the Wind was my nomination. You have to see it on the big screen to appreciate the epic nature of it - which I doubt many here have. I was fairly sure it wouldn't get any votes even though it's better than most of the ones that did get votes.

I was rather disappointed Voltaire got a vote. I googled 'Famous French novels' and chose it at random from the list, expecting nil points.

I don't think Gone With The Wind was yours. Tino sent me a PM saying I'd got it.

Perhaps Tino is just the online pseudonym of a Mr S Blatter, and the Culture Cup has been rigged from the start. I wouldn't put it past a few of the other posters to have slipped Tino a few packets of Wotsits and a Curly Wurly to enhance their prestige with a high placing in the Culture Cup.

Yep, Annie Hall was your pick, Jules. Gone With The Wind went to Beadle.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 18831
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm

Stella wrote:Not an Oasis fan, dolph?

He loves them. He is just trying to ingratiate with me as he knows he went too far with the roses. Nice try but too little too late

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:07 pm

I went for the Kings of Leon. It's a brilliant album although I do actually think their second album, Aha Shake Heartbreak, is their finest effort to date. Youth and Young Manhood is fantastic and an album that constantly gets played in the Windows household.

I love the Roses, love Grace and could have gone for the Arctic Monkeys as well, but I've gone with the album that I play the most from the list.

I never have, and never will understand Oasis. They just had great timing and arrived in vacuum of music. There are a couple of ok'ish songs on Definitely Maybe but that's it. Most of it is sh*te. They came at a good time for them and for reasons I will never fathom, they somehow created their own following and mystique. I don't buy all this 'musically important' b*llocks either. They just managed to tap into a bored generation and developed a following from that. It's just a shame that following was mostly Parka wearing mongs who strutted around gurning and walking like they'd sh*t themselves. If you're from the North-West like I am, it became exceptionally annoying to go out in the mid to late 90's and find a load of southern nonces had come up to see an Oasis gig and were talking in a faux northern accent. F*cking morons.

There is no comparison to be had between The Stone Roses and Definitely Maybe. Chalk and cheese.


Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 18831
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Stella Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:11 pm

i don't agree with all of it, but your post made me laugh. A southern softie, with a parker speaking like Liam Gallagher. I knew the exact person.
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:28 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

I never have, and never will understand Oasis.  They just had great timing and arrived in vacuum of music.  There are a couple of ok'ish songs on Definitely Maybe but that's it.  Most of it is sh*te.  They came at a good time for them and for reasons I will never fathom, they somehow created their own following and mystique.  I don't buy all this 'musically important' b*llocks either.  They just managed to tap into a bored generation and developed a following from that.  It's just a shame that following was mostly Parka wearing mongs who strutted around gurning and walking like they'd sh*t themselves.  If you're from the North-West like I am, it became exceptionally annoying to go out in the mid to late 90's and find a load of southern nonces had come up to see an Oasis gig and were talking in a faux northern accent.  F*cking morons.

There is no comparison to be had between The Stone Roses and Definitely Maybe.  Chalk and cheese.


I f*cking love you Tina, each and every word of the above is quite simply the most articulate, accurate and perfect prose you have ever written on here. Obviously I still prefer Galted, but you're as close as you're ever likely to be to supplanting him in my affections.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Stella Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:30 pm

Seems like us southerners prefer Oasis, whilst the northern lot prefer the stone roses?
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:34 pm

Stella wrote:Seems like us southerners prefer Oasis, whilst the northern lot prefer the stone roses?

You prefer lager to Bitter and Union to League, you're clearly f*cking idiots.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:38 pm

Rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

I never have, and never will understand Oasis.  They just had great timing and arrived in vacuum of music.  There are a couple of ok'ish songs on Definitely Maybe but that's it.  Most of it is sh*te.  They came at a good time for them and for reasons I will never fathom, they somehow created their own following and mystique.  I don't buy all this 'musically important' b*llocks either.  They just managed to tap into a bored generation and developed a following from that.  It's just a shame that following was mostly Parka wearing mongs who strutted around gurning and walking like they'd sh*t themselves.  If you're from the North-West like I am, it became exceptionally annoying to go out in the mid to late 90's and find a load of southern nonces had come up to see an Oasis gig and were talking in a faux northern accent.  F*cking morons.

There is no comparison to be had between The Stone Roses and Definitely Maybe.  Chalk and cheese.


I f*cking love you Tina, each and every word of the above is quite simply the most articulate, accurate and perfect prose you have ever written on here. Obviously I still prefer Galted, but you're as close as you're ever likely to be to supplanting him in my affections.

Thanks Jeff. Just being in your thoughts is good enough for me.

It appears that way, Stella! As I say, I am from the North-West, I have more reason to hate them than anyone. Even now, working down south, I still get the odd "mad fer it" comment from my knobhead work colleagues. I'm not even from Manchester you f*cking bastards.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 18831
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by seanmichaels Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

Talking Love sacks. Live forever, slide away and supersonic are incredible songs. Roses album has the Poopie tracks. Don't stop, bye bye bad man and Elizabeth are b sides at best.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Posts : 13330
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Virgin

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:56 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Talking Love sacks. Live forever, slide away and supersonic are incredible songs. Roses album has the Poopie tracks. Don't stop, bye bye bad man and Elizabeth are b sides at best.

You're on record as still wearing a Parka.

I rest my case.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 18831
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:58 pm

Bye Bye Badman is a stunningly good track. When it comes to Oasis I actually like Definitely Maybe, it's a decent album, but after that their continued appeal completely evaded me. Just increasingly poor versions of their earlier works. The thing that always made me laugh is they bang on about the Beatles non stop but they are the complete antithesis of everything the Beatles represent. I am not a Beatles fan but they were constantly evolving and one of the most experimental bands ever. Oasis are complete luddites. Noel Gallagher considers having a violin playing in the background as experimentation. Average guitarist, god awful lyricist and bafflingly popular band.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Stella Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:02 pm

I love the Beatles. Such a varied song collection. Noel did write some bloody good tunes, in fairness.
I never got the smiths either. Too young to appreciate them possibly.
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:04 pm

Would never argue the bloke can't write a song, he has a fantastic ear for a tune and a melody, but just wish he'd push himself a bit, throw in the odd curve ball.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:15 pm

Stella, you either love the Smiths or hate them, for me Morrissey and Marr were the top songwriting duo since Lennon and McCartney, it's melancholic without being downright depressing.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:25 pm

Grace by a mile
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Posts : 18707
Join date : 2011-12-23
Age : 32
Location : London, UK

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by seanmichaels Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:26 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Talking Love sacks. Live forever, slide away and supersonic are incredible songs. Roses album has the Poopie tracks. Don't stop, bye bye bad man and Elizabeth are b sides at best.

You're on record as still wearing a Parka.

I rest my case.

You dress like doctor who

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Posts : 13330
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Virgin

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Hero Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:27 pm

Whilst the discussion has gone back and forth about the Roses and Oasis somehow Arctic Monkeys have got 4 votes.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28290
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:02 pm

Panic stations

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15713
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 35
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:21 pm

My actual favourite first album isn't the one I chose. I chose what is probably the best work of the ones I liked, cos it was a hell of an impact debut album, but really Up the Bracket is my favourite. Maybe if the original had had What a Waster on i'd have been too in love with it to ignore it, but a #35 placing on release it wasn't really a monumental first album in that way.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 23976
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 32
Location : You got a fast rIck, Shah got a bomb to get us outta Jules. Galted been working at the Hi-Tec store, Managed to save PJ a little bit of money. Won't have to drive Hibbz far, Just 'cross the border and LostinWales. Tino and Fly can both get jobs and finally see what it means to be Michaels

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:23 pm

Its also not their best album, and I believe the one I picked is that band's best album

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 23976
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 32
Location : You got a fast rIck, Shah got a bomb to get us outta Jules. Galted been working at the Hi-Tec store, Managed to save PJ a little bit of money. Won't have to drive Hibbz far, Just 'cross the border and LostinWales. Tino and Fly can both get jobs and finally see what it means to be Michaels

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Hero Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:55 pm

Yeah my two fave debut albums are Bjork's Debut and Portishead's Dummy but neither of those would have picked up many votes.
Thinking back though I should have been tempted with Massive Attack's Blue Lines which is an awesome album.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28290
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 05 Jun 2015, 12:30 am

If you havent picked Stone Roses I will be hugely surprised. The only way you havent got that is if someone got their first!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 23976
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 32
Location : You got a fast rIck, Shah got a bomb to get us outta Jules. Galted been working at the Hi-Tec store, Managed to save PJ a little bit of money. Won't have to drive Hibbz far, Just 'cross the border and LostinWales. Tino and Fly can both get jobs and finally see what it means to be Michaels

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Hero Fri 05 Jun 2015, 12:38 am

All three of my picks are on the list, for my slagging off of Definitely Maybe it was my 2nd choice and an album I had on repeat for a long time in my youth.
Over time though I grew to prefer the Roses.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28290
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 05 Jun 2015, 12:44 am

Rowley wrote:
Stella wrote:Seems like us southerners prefer Oasis, whilst the northern lot prefer the stone roses?

You prefer lager to Bitter and Union to League, you're clearly f*cking idiots.

Australians like League. For most people, this would be a big enough clue that you are making a terrible choice Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Posts : 18707
Join date : 2011-12-23
Age : 32
Location : London, UK

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:37 am

Hero wrote:Yeah my two fave debut albums are Bjork's Debut and Portishead's Dummy but neither of those would have picked up many votes.
Thinking back though I should have been tempted with Massive Attack's Blue Lines which is an awesome album.


There was a remix or a collaborationwith nusrat fateh ali khan was a absolute hit in pakistan and India and people of that descent all over the world. Stoners delight.

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15713
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 35
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 05 Jun 2015, 3:10 am

You stoned people who liked that Western propaganda?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 23976
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 32
Location : You got a fast rIck, Shah got a bomb to get us outta Jules. Galted been working at the Hi-Tec store, Managed to save PJ a little bit of money. Won't have to drive Hibbz far, Just 'cross the border and LostinWales. Tino and Fly can both get jobs and finally see what it means to be Michaels

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 05 Jun 2015, 5:32 am

Na we're not savages, we set them on fire.

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15713
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 35
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:25 am

I am already up on the last round, this random shoite has not been kind...

C*nts

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Posts : 12318
Join date : 2013-04-29
Location : Chamber of the unmichaelsing fist

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Rowley Fri 05 Jun 2015, 7:22 am

Hero wrote:
Thinking back though I should have been tempted with Massive Attack's Blue Lines which is an awesome album.

One of the few albums that may have tempted me away from a Roses vote.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by superflyweight Fri 05 Jun 2015, 8:16 am

Definitely Maybe has not aged at all well. Sounded good when I was about 17 but listened to it recently and it's mostly dirge.

The voting in this round is appalling. I've lost all faith but what should we expect from a forum that a couple of years voted for Adele as its musician of the year and Budweiser as its beer of choice? Bunch of f*cking savages!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 7402
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by superflyweight Fri 05 Jun 2015, 8:17 am

Rowley wrote:
Hero wrote:
Thinking back though I should have been tempted with Massive Attack's Blue Lines which is an awesome album.

One of the few albums that may have tempted me away from a Roses vote.

Cracking album and I would have voted for it over anything else on the list (I forgot about it at the nomination stage). I still listen to it at least once a fortnight and it hasn't dated in the slightest.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 7402
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 05 Jun 2015, 8:27 am

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:The Lexicon Of Love has no votes.  It is as sh1t as Gone With The Wind.

Gone With The Wind is a great film! Not close to the best film featuring an Oscar winner, but when all the better choices have been taken, and when illegal entries are permitted, what can you do?

Gone With the Wind was my nomination. You have to see it on the big screen to appreciate the epic nature of it - which I doubt many here have. I was fairly sure it wouldn't get any votes even though it's better than most of the ones that did get votes.

I was rather disappointed Voltaire got a vote. I googled 'Famous French novels' and chose it at random from the list, expecting nil points.

I don't think Gone With The Wind was yours. Tino sent me a PM saying I'd got it.

Turns out mine was Annie Hall - I think I probably voted for myself. Damn.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Posts : 20101
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Paisley Park

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 05 Jun 2015, 8:29 am

Slim Shady raking in the votes.

Shame it is not eligible.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 18831
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Culture Cup 2.0 round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Culture Cup 2.0 round 5

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum