The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eeeeeeagle!!!!

+19
hogie
incontinentia
longgame
lorus59
LadyPutt
kwinigolfer
Eyetoldyouso
McLaren
beninho
Roller_Coaster
golfermartin
super_realist
puligny
Nay
BlueCoverman
navyblueshorts
SmithersJones
Davie
barragan
23 posters

Go down

Eeeeeeagle!!!! Empty Eeeeeeagle!!!!

Post by barragan Tue 09 Jun 2015, 9:05 pm

Had my first in a few months on Sunday. First hole of our 3rd round 4bbb knockout match. 495 yard par 5 playing firm with a helpful breeze. Bombed a nice drive down the middle. Flushed a 6iron, landed it short and ran up nicely just 20 feet past the flag. Partner made a great up and down for birdie to secure the half. Centred the putt to get us going nicely.

When was your last Eagle and how did it unfold?!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Eeeeeeagle!!!! Empty Re: Eeeeeeagle!!!!

Post by Davie Tue 09 Jun 2015, 9:17 pm

Only ever had one and that was with a 3 wood from about 210 yards! Not a long par5 but dogleg 90 degrees left and I hit a big slice off the tee leaving a huge distance to go - then duffed the second shot so still 200+ yards left. Blind shot too so never saw it go in

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 09 Jun 2015, 9:30 pm

I had one a few weeks ago, holed a 5 iron approach to our first hole. Round only had one way to go from there! I've holed 3 five irons in my life, one 4 iron and nothing shorter - funny old game!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:07 pm

11 days ago actually at Longcliffe's (nr. Loughborough) 18th.

Slight tailwind and decent drive green high, just right. Flop over right trap and ran perfectly into the centre, dead weight. Don't ask me how long it was since the one before this though!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:40 pm

Friday night strangely enough, first one in ages! Playing second round of club singles on our 15th, a short par 4 at 363 yards. Decent hybrid off the tee to middle of the fairway left me a 7 iron in...hit a nice gentle fade into the heart of the green which rolled about 6 feet before dropping obligingly into the cup. Took me to 2 up with 3 to play and my opponent still probably cursing his misfortune missed the green on the par 3 next which enabled me to squeeze the match out.

Most memorable one I have had was 3 years ago on the Montgomery course in Belek, Turkey. Playing the par 5 18th (off the yellows obviously!) hit Sunday best drive and 3 wood to back of the green before draining a (lucky!) 30 foot downhill putt. Even drew a round of applause from those enjoying a late afternoon drink on the clubhouse terrace overlooking the green for that one!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Wed 10 Jun 2015, 7:21 am

I have only ever had 2 eagles with the last having come a couple of months ago.

Not a long Par 5 at 489 yards , nice drive, 3 wood to about 20 yards short of the green and a chip in with the sand wedge. Always a nice feeling

Funnily enough i did miss a 15 footer for eagle yesterday morning on the short par 4.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 10 Jun 2015, 7:53 am

What a great feeling! Got par 5 6th at Worplesdon twice in 2 days this time last year. Same comp starts Friday so nice memories. Only a par last week!
Got short par 4 fourth at home 320 hrs from fairway bunker about 6 weeks ago but not a comp and only bragging rights with the fellas, and not for very long!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Jun 2015, 8:43 am

Had a beauty the other week on the 11th on the Jubilee, pumped drive about 300yards (downwind Mac before you get carried away) then the sweetest 3 iron to about 12 inches. Easy tap in.

Had two in one round once, sadly not in a medal.

Never had the rarest of birds though, an Albatross, though I have witnessed a few.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 10 Jun 2015, 8:57 am

Last Friday, had my third ever eagle on a par 5. Driver and lucky 5 iron to about 4 feet. I've had two eagles on par 4s (7 iron and sand wedge seconds) and others have all been ones-in-one.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 10 Jun 2015, 9:30 am

Hmm, it's a while now but I think our 10th (par 5 unsurprisingly) last summer. 540ish yards in total, a belting drive, a belting 3 wood leaving a 25 foot, cross-slope, right to left breaking putt. Run round green flapping arms like wings calling cawwww cawwww.

Couth...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Jun 2015, 9:31 am

Nothing beats an eagle on a par 4, those sweetly struck approaches that take a bounce or two and drop.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 10 Jun 2015, 9:52 am

An Eagle on a par 3 does...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Jun 2015, 9:58 am

Only had one of those. But as sweet a strike as I could hit.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 10 Jun 2015, 9:59 am

Im still happy with the occasional birdie...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Jun 2015, 11:00 am

Super

At the end of last season I had an eagle on a par 4 which wouldn't have given you much pleasure. Downhill hole of about 250 on a bone dry day I put a 4 iron to about 3 feet and holed the putt.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 10 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

Had one last Sunday - short par 4 - 3/4 wedge from 90 yards. Many years ago when I lived in Edinburgh had eagles quite often as I played a lot of golf at Merchants of Edinburgh GC where a good friend was a member. Mostly I played at Braid Hills as we lived there. Both of these courses have a few driveable par4s in the right conditions.

Last edited by Eyetoldyouso on Wed 10 Jun 2015, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Jun 2015, 1:02 pm

Were you one of the people who refused to go for a drink with Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 10 Jun 2015, 1:10 pm

I left Edinburgh over 35 years ago, probably before he was born.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 10 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

First one I got was a holed 7-iron on a Par-4, was playing as a single and was waved thru by a couple who watched the hole thing by the side of the green.
Went and picked it out of the hole, thanked them for letting me play thru and strolled to the next tee as if it was an everyday occurrence. Little did they know . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:02 pm

Only had two eagles - actually holes in one! Never managed to eagle a par 4 or even a par 5! I'm happy with a par these days on any hole.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Jun 2015, 3:19 pm

eyetoldyouso

Yes the 4th in particular at the braids yields a lot of eagles. You can drive it with a long iron if you are a good player and the rest of us can reach with hybrids/5 woods. The 3rd is also pretty drivable but I find it a bit tricky to get a ball onto the green, as it either kicks to one side or won't hold the green. There is a steep bank in front of the green which makes running one up a little tricky.

I have played Merchants a couple of times and found it relatively interesting. I don't remember a hole that didn't have some sort of significant elevation change.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:31 pm

I have never had an eagle in over 20 years of playing golf. I have never holed a bunker shot either.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:57 pm

I have only ever holed a bunket shot once, flew it up to the pin checked then spun sideways into the hole.

Must have mishit it properly because before and after that one shot i have never came remotely close. Im normally just happy to be out and still in the vacinity of the green.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:16 pm

I don't hole from bunkers very often, but I do chip in a lot.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:34 pm

I holed out from a bunker once a bit like Nay Bother - thinned it, hit the pin full on at about 3ft up and it dropped right down into the hole. Just as well as there were some trees immediately behind the green and I'd have lost the ball for sure otherwise. I was playing in a Mixed Foursomes with LordPutt and wasn't very happy that he'd put me in a bunker (it was a Par 3) - he was delighted that we ended up with a par and he didn't have to go searching in the trees!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:35 pm

golfermartin wrote:Last Friday, had my third ever eagle on a par 5. Driver and lucky 5 iron to about 4 feet. I've had two eagles on par 4s (7 iron and sand wedge seconds) and others have all been ones-in-one.
Which course, Golfermartin? I see you're in Sidcup - I live in Lee.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by longgame Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:44 pm

Had my first of the season on Sunday as well.

516 par 5 16th. usually play an iron as it is very tight and tree lined but hit driver as I was already 5 over and trying to get in with a respectable number.

Middled the driver but cut it a bit and thought I would be blocked out by trees, obviously had a lucky bounce as I had a clear line in from the first cut. 5iron from 201 which finished on the fringe 30ft right, rolled it in (first putt over 5 foot id holed all day)

Nice little double bit and it helped me win 3 presses, my mate was not so congratulatory

longgame

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

Few years ago we were playing BB4B matchplay winter league and 1 down with 2 to play. Bog standard (!) birdie on 17 to level it then drive to within 10 yards of 18th green (hole is 322 total, so a belting thwack) and held a texas wedge for eagle to win it.

Oppos were v pleased for me <Mac written sarcasm emoticon required here> especially as they weren't exactly my biggest fan to start with.

Oh the LOLs (sorry for youthful parlance...)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 11 Jun 2015, 4:17 pm

longgame wrote:Had my first of the season on Sunday as well.

516 par 5 16th. usually play an iron as it is very tight and tree lined but hit driver as I was already 5 over and trying to get in with a respectable number.

Middled the driver but cut it a bit and thought I would be blocked out by trees, obviously had a lucky bounce as I had a clear line in from the first cut. 5iron from 201 which finished on the fringe 30ft right, rolled it in (first putt over 5 foot id holed all day)

Nice little double bit and it helped me win 3 presses, my mate was not so congratulatory
Incredible ball-striking (and putt!) clap
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Thu 11 Jun 2015, 4:36 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:An Eagle on a par 3 does...

Some day I hope I will find out how this feels!!

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm

I seem to remember my first ever eagle was a holed bunker shot on a short par 4. I was awesome out of bunkers when I first started playing the game, but left my Petron Impala sand wedge by a green once and have never found a match for it in 20 odd years since!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 12 Jun 2015, 7:44 am

Gawd, that's made me think just how long it's been since I had one. Probably had more eagle putts in past 2 years than I've ever had but converted none. The last eagle I had was particularly memorable because it came on the 2nd at Pebble Beach, nailed a good drive down the middle, took a 4 iron to lay up short of the barranca and leave myself about 100 in. Chunked the 4 iron a bit and left myself 138 into a slight breeze. Little knock down 8 iron pitched just left of the pin, a little kick right one more bounce then plop...get in!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Fri 12 Jun 2015, 3:13 pm

Almost had 2 last weekend.

Got 1 though - par 5, good drive left with about 190 to the green, hit a 4 iron slightly thin so it ran like Mo Farah to pin high and slotted the putt in. And then at another par 5, hit a 3 iron from the tee, left about 245 to the front, hit a very good 3 wood which ran for ever and went about 12 feet past the flag. But missed the putt (but I wasn't short!!).

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 14 Jun 2015, 10:19 am

SmithersJones wrote:
Petron Impala

Is that a car?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 14 Jun 2015, 10:25 am

Not had an eagle for years. Am generally too conservative / ball striking too poor with woods to generate many chances.

Although I did have an albatross a couple of years ago: 18th at Littlestone, 300+ yards drive then holed a 7 iron from about 190.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 14 Jun 2015, 11:11 am

raycastleunited wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
Petron Impala

Is that a car?

Surely people remember Petron Impala irons? Classic starter set from the 80s.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 15 Jun 2015, 11:02 am

SmithersJones wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
Petron Impala

Is that a car?

Sad to admit that I do - an age thing? Whistle
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 15 Jun 2015, 11:19 am

Think it must be! I seem to remember they got a revamp at one stage, one of the first iron sets with a plastic insert in the cavity.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:55 am

SmithersJones wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
Petron Impala

Is that a car?

Yes, indeed. They were my first half-set when starting out. Nice little clubs from what I remember.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Not had an eagle for years. Am generally too conservative / ball striking too poor with woods to generate many chances.

Although I did have an albatross a couple of years ago: 18th at Littlestone, 300+ yards drive then holed a 7 iron from about 190.

Yesterday I realised why I've not had an eagle for years... I've been playing the wrong courses. Played South Herts yesterday and nearly had three eagles. The course has 4 par 5s and all were reachable in 2 for me even from the back tees we played off, and I'm definitely not a big hitter.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 19 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

raycastleunited wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:Not had an eagle for years. Am generally too conservative / ball striking too poor with woods to generate many chances.

Yesterday I realised why I've not had an eagle for years... I've been playing the wrong courses. Played South Herts yesterday and nearly had three eagles. The course has 4 par 5s and all were reachable in 2 for me even from the back tees we played off, and I'm definitely not a big hitter.

I know what you mean Ray - 5s at my course range between 476 and 590. Played a society day yesterday and 'eagled' the par 5 7th, a whopping 433 yards long, and every one of them downhill. It was playing into the wind, mind, so I had to hit a full 8 iron second shot!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 19 Jun 2015, 4:00 pm

playing on my own for 9 holes last night hit a 4iron that disappeared into the hole for a 2 on a par 5. my initial reaction was F*ck sake nobody was here to see my albatross!

everything turned out to be fine though as when i bent down to pick up my ball out of the hole.... to my horror there was no ball there!- ball had trickled off the back!

(made 5 obviously)

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum