The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

+37
EST
Manky-Flanker
InjuredYetAgain
JonnyEdinburgh
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
highland_scot
MacKnocked-on
123456789
Nematode
VinceWLB
des
justified sinner
cakeordeath
A Simply Mesmeric Try
lostinwales
IanBru
Prothero
Imperialbigdave
madmaccas
TJ
nickj
Eejit
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
cp10
Weegie Wizard
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
BigGee
Majestic83
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
41 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Time Honoured Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Dave-a10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
https://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
https://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii

A. Edinburgh (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Patek10 
Players In
William Helu from Wasps
Nasi Manu from Highlanders
Nathan Fowles from Sale Sharks
Michael Allen from Ulster
Jack Cosgrove from Worcester Warriors

Players Out
Tom Heathcote to Worcester Warriors
Grayson Hart to Glasgow Warriors
Ollie Atkins to Exeter Chiefs
Tim Visser to Harlequins
 
B. Glasgow (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Flik_f10
Players In
Simone Favaro from Benetton Treviso
Grayson Hart from Edinburgh
Kieran Low from London Irish
Mike Blair from Newcastle Falcons
Sam Johnson from Queensland Reds
Greg Peterson from Leicester Tigers
Taqele Naiyaravoro from NSW Waratahs
Javan Sebastian from Carmarthen Quins

Players Out
Nikola Matawalu to Bath Rugby
Sean Maitland to London Irish
D.T.H. van der Merwe to Scarlets
Dougie Hall retired
Jon Welsh to Newcastle Falcons
Alastair Kellock retired
Murray McConnell to Nottingham
James Downey to Wasps
Tommy Spinks to Jersey
Euan Murray to Pau
Connor Braid released


Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down


Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Fri 25 Sep 2015, 12:21 pm

Didn't realise Scott Cummings was world class already - must have missed that happening!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by jimbopip Fri 25 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm

Keep your eyes on him, RDW. Next World Cup and it'll be Mark Bennett all over.

jimbopip

Posts : 6605
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 12:25 pm

jimbopip wrote:When you look at the likes of Scott Cummings, Ickle Jonnie, Richie Gray not to mention the Caotain...No you'll never produce second like Glasgow.

But we did produce "The Captain". It's a dark stain on the Edinburgh production line.

We could always bung Coman into the second row with Bresler. Not ideal, but better than Kieran Low.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by Weegie Wizard Fri 25 Sep 2015, 12:33 pm

Guys like Al are not made by any club - they are born


Weegie Wizard

Posts : 484
Join date : 2013-06-12
Age : 41
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 12:50 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:Guys like Al are not made by any club - they are born


Well yes. I suppose that's logical.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by Weegie Wizard Fri 25 Sep 2015, 3:42 pm

Right, I know it's only a bounce game against the army, but hopefully we see some rugby from Nick Grigg at centre tonight.

A few people from Hawks are extremely impressed by him so I'm looking forward to see what all the fuss is about.

Weegie Wizard

Posts : 484
Join date : 2013-06-12
Age : 41
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Fri 25 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

Aussie centre Sam Johnson is in the starting lineup tonight too.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 CPwONhzWEAEidPq

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 CPwONhOW8AAvx-f

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by jimbopip Fri 25 Sep 2015, 4:11 pm

That's not a bad side. Although only about five or six of them are world class at the moment.

jimbopip

Posts : 6605
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Fri 25 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

43-0 to the dodgers of the soap at half time.

Now I know why there was no risk in playing this match.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Sat 26 Sep 2015, 11:05 am

8,360-0 at full time. 


A totally worthwhile exercise. 
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 26 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

Some rather patronising comments about the match last night at Scotstoun. I went along on a Wee weeing wet night to cheer on my old comrades against The Warriors ffs. Anyone not moved by the sight of 2 seriously injured ex-Army players (both lost limbs in Afghanistan) make their way out to present the match ball on the centre spot, needs to take a long hard look at themselves. This match was of benefit to The Army who are playing in the Services World Cup very soon so well done The Ws for agreeing to it and arranging it. Also well done to the 1850 who turned up.

As for The Champions :-

Hart - can feck off back to The Luvvies sharpish
Price - way better SH than the above
Cummings - looks to be rather a good find and 2 tries
Clegg - really like this guy and what a kicker
D"Arcy - first try on first start
Glenn Bryce - looked to have suffered a serious injury - stretcher and oxygen -bummer he was looking really good. Running out of FBs!
Junior B - well deserved MoM against his former team. He will run in a shed load of tries this season.


21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by jimbopip Sat 26 Sep 2015, 12:56 pm

He's back. Yahoo Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 1347041234

jimbopip

Posts : 6605
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Sat 26 Sep 2015, 5:04 pm

Easy, Schiz - I made no comment about the social benefits of games like this and I've been to plenty of them myself, to say nothing of the five grand (plus) of my own moolah I've given to Help For Heroes over the years.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:42 pm

I saw in the paper last week that Ben Toolis is going to have an op on his elbow. 2 WEEKS AFTER HE INJURED IT!!!! Why on earth wait until the Pro12 games are about to restart? Amputate or whatever they plan to do at the time not after 2 weeks of fannying around.

InjuredYetAgain

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2011-06-02
Age : 56
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by IanBru Mon 28 Sep 2015, 4:00 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:As for The Champions :-

Hart  - can feck off back to The Luvvies sharpish
Price - way better SH than the above
Cummings - looks to be rather a good find and 2 tries
Clegg - really like this guy and what a kicker
D"Arcy - first try on first start
Glenn Bryce - looked to have suffered a serious injury - stretcher and oxygen -bummer he was looking really good.  Running out of FBs!
Junior B - well deserved MoM against his former team.  He will run in a shed load of tries this season.
Anyone else up for a short-term contract offer to Ayumu Goromaru? He'd be quite a useful addition, with his kicking an added bonus.
IanBru
IanBru

Posts : 2909
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 34
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Sep 2015, 3:42 am

Poop. Is Bryce out too? Murchie is out for 3-4 months with an elbow op. Whom do we have left as a full back???
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Tue 29 Sep 2015, 8:32 am

George Carlin wrote:Poop. Is Bryce out too? Murchie is out for 3-4 months with an elbow op. Whom do we have left as a full back???

Lee Jones thumbsup

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Sep 2015, 8:35 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Poop. Is Bryce out too? Murchie is out for 3-4 months with an elbow op. Whom do we have left as a full back???

Lee Jones thumbsup
Owtch. picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by demosthenes Tue 29 Sep 2015, 8:53 am

What's the latest on Alex Dunbar? I haven't seen anything recently.

demosthenes

Posts : 590
Join date : 2013-10-23
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Tue 29 Sep 2015, 8:55 am

demosthenes wrote:What's the latest on Alex Dunbar?  I haven't seen anything recently.

That's a good point - would be a huge boost for Glasgow to have him back given their mass injury problems.

They said he was very close to being fit for the RWC so that suggests he should be back soon...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:18 am


EWT Spoons

Posts : 3599
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:20 am

Also Big Tacky is due to land in Glasgow imminently.

So if you hear a deafening thudding noise in a week's time, it's probably that. Or FES' wallet has fallen off the table.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:24 am

George Carlin wrote:Also Big Tacky is due to land in Glasgow imminently.

So if you hear a deafening thudding noise in a week's time, it's probably that. Or FES' wallet has fallen off the table.

Loving the optimism!

I've just bought a house. I no longer have any money at all. None whatsoever.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Sep 2015, 11:13 am

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Sep 2015, 11:14 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Also Big Tacky is due to land in Glasgow imminently.

So if you hear a deafening thudding noise in a week's time, it's probably that. Or FES' wallet has fallen off the table.

Loving the optimism!

I've just bought a house. I no longer have any money at all. None whatsoever.
Married, mortgage and Mini FES. Resistance is useless.

Create a Bloke Cave for yourself. It's the only way to survive.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 29 Sep 2015, 2:01 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Also Big Tacky is due to land in Glasgow imminently.

So if you hear a deafening thudding noise in a week's time, it's probably that. Or FES' wallet has fallen off the table.

Loving the optimism!

I've just bought a house. I no longer have any money at all. None whatsoever.
Married, mortgage and Mini FES. Resistance is useless.

Create a Bloke Cave for yourself. It's the only way to survive.

I'm already way ahead on that one...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7194
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 38
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by jimbopip Tue 29 Sep 2015, 3:53 pm

This is my man-cave and you are all fellow troglodytes.

jimbopip

Posts : 6605
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Wed 30 Sep 2015, 11:17 am

Just had a presentation for my 5 year work anniversary at my company. Working for an engineering company I think it’s fair to say the ‘gifts’ I can choose from to mark the occasion are of significantly lower value what you would expect working in a law firm or financial institution!

Now what should I get – a microwave, kettle, set of cutlery or cheap watch?

chin

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by highland_scot Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Just had a presentation for my 5 year work anniversary at my company.  Working for an engineering company I think it’s fair to say the ‘gifts’ I can choose from to mark the occasion are of significantly lower value what you would expect working in a law firm or financial institution!

Now what should I get – a microwave, kettle, set of cutlery or cheap watch?

chin

I don't know... We don't get anything for making it to 5 years. Or at least, I don't think we do. In all honesty so few people make it to 5 years that hardly anyone would know!

highland_scot

Posts : 593
Join date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:30 pm

Wow, the company I work for don't even acknowledge you've been here unless you've been with them for 25 years, and even then all you get is a "oh look it's you, are you still here?"


EWT Spoons

Posts : 3599
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:31 pm

TBH I'd happily swap the salary of a lawyer or someone in the financial industry for a cheap gift every 5 years!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

So would I, but I don't even get a cheap gift to swap.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3599
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:48 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:So would I, but I don't even get a cheap gift to swap.

What's your industry?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:So would I, but I don't even get a cheap gift to swap.

What's your industry?

Ok, so I'm in the financial services industry, I now see I missed that point from your post.

However, I'm not in the high paid section of the industry (bankers/lawyers etc), I'm a just project manager, who make pretty much the same across the board regardless of industry.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3599
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Just had a presentation for my 5 year work anniversary at my company.  Working for an engineering company I think it’s fair to say the ‘gifts’ I can choose from to mark the occasion are of significantly lower value what you would expect working in a law firm or financial institution!

Now what should I get – a microwave, kettle, set of cutlery or cheap watch?

chin
What do you mean by a "cheap watch"? Can you choose it? How much dosh would you have to play with? Some nice options out there if you choose well...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Wed 30 Sep 2015, 1:01 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:So would I, but I don't even get a cheap gift to swap.

What's your industry?

Ok, so I'm in the financial services industry, I now see I missed that point from your post.

However, I'm not in the high paid section of the industry (bankers/lawyers etc), I'm a just project manager, who make pretty much the same across the board regardless of industry.

Ah yes Project managers - they have perfected not actually doing very much yet somehow managing to take all the credit when things go right, and blame everyone else when things go wrong! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Sep 2015, 2:08 pm

5 years!! That's nothing. I can't believe they even honour that. In law you typically have to be a partner for 10 years (so that's usually 20+ years at the firm) before you get anything - usually some form of sabbatical which involves taking your Blackberry to work in awkward places!!

You're about to get married to forget about the microwave, kettle and cutlery - you'll get loads of that from people who ignore your gift list. Go for the watch but ask for a gift receipt. That way you can take it back, get a refund and maybe buy a round at some point in 2015.....

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Sep 2015, 2:13 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:So would I, but I don't even get a cheap gift to swap.

What's your industry?

Ok, so I'm in the financial services industry, I now see I missed that point from your post.

However, I'm not in the high paid section of the industry (bankers/lawyers etc), I'm a just project manager, who make pretty much the same across the board regardless of industry.

Ah yes Project managers - they have perfected not actually doing very much yet somehow managing to take all the credit when things go right, and blame everyone else when things go wrong! Very Happy

You've pretty much summed up my CV.


EWT Spoons

Posts : 3599
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Sep 2015, 2:43 pm

My experience of Project Managers is different. They demand hourly or daily rates that would make your average Premiership footballer blush, expect to be accommodated in the Gold Suite of whichever hotel they choose with a "dinner" budget based on the Martin Wishart Tasting Menu (with wine pairings), don't work Fridays and expect to be rewarded with a contract extension for failing to meet their targets. Oh, and never complain to their faces. If you do that they'll mumble something about "job security" and complain that having 3 months of golf/luxury travel inbetween jobs is somehow a bad thing.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Wed 30 Sep 2015, 2:48 pm

Why does the FS industry need project managers?

GC - you have to choose the gift from a catalogue, and a quick Google search shows the most expensive gift to be £40!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Why does the FS industry need project managers?

GC - you have to choose the gift from a catalogue, and a quick Google search shows the most expensive gift to be £40!

To manage projects.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by RDW Wed 30 Sep 2015, 3:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Why does the FS industry need project managers?

GC - you have to choose the gift from a catalogue, and a quick Google search shows the most expensive gift to be £40!

To manage projects.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Bangin11

I suppose building a Deathstar or drowning a bag of kittens does require planning!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32183
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Sep 2015, 3:47 pm

It does. The hard decision is whether to put the cutest kitten at the foot of the sack or the top. I'm easy from a legal perspective, as long as the sack has appropriate risk warnings written on the side.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Why does the FS industry need project managers?

GC - you have to choose the gift from a catalogue, and a quick Google search shows the most expensive gift to be £40!
I was hoping they might have given you enough for a Nomos or a second hand Omega Speedmaster.

Straight to Elizabeth Duke at Argos, it seems...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Sep 2015, 4:07 pm

I should also mention that I will be 5 years with my firm come January. Watch me receive precisely bugger all.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 30 Sep 2015, 4:21 pm

George Carlin wrote:I should also mention that I will be 5 years with my firm come January. Watch me receive precisely bugger all.

My firm had a monthly "wine and cheese" gathering at which the most senior partner who bothered to turn up would read out the names of those who had reached 5, 10, 15 and 20 years' service.

I joined at the same time as our HR assistant whose knowledge of anything extended to the square root of F-all. On our 5 years at the firm they read out her name and forgot mine. That sort of summed up the firm in a nutshell.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Sep 2015, 4:39 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:My experience of Project Managers is different. They demand hourly or daily rates that would make your average Premiership footballer blush, expect to be accommodated in the Gold Suite of whichever hotel they choose with a "dinner" budget based on the Martin Wishart Tasting Menu (with wine pairings), don't work Fridays and expect to be rewarded with a contract extension for failing to meet their targets. Oh, and never complain to their faces. If you do that they'll mumble something about "job security" and complain that having 3 months of golf/luxury travel inbetween jobs is somehow a bad thing.

That's the case if they are contractors, sadly I'm staff, so I get none of that. My company shunts me to remote parts of the UK and puts me up in the cheapest accomodation they can legally get away with (see my hotel on an industrial estate with the roundabout/Aldi view in a previous chat), and pays me pennies for the pleasure.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3599
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 30 Sep 2015, 4:42 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Why does the FS industry need project managers?

GC - you have to choose the gift from a catalogue, and a quick Google search shows the most expensive gift to be £40!

To manage projects.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Bangin11

I suppose building a Deathstar or drowning a bag of kittens does require planning!

Plus do you think all these legal challenges just happen at random, we need to make sure we plan years in advance over which part of society we'll screw over next. Without us the like of FES would be out of work.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3599
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 Oct 2015, 6:53 am

I'm an infrastructure projects lawyer so project managers are my best friends if they're good and Satan's brattish ginger stepsons if they're bad. Far more good than bad in London. Out here.....well, you can probably guess.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 Oct 2015, 6:54 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I should also mention that I will be 5 years with my firm come January. Watch me receive precisely bugger all.

My firm had a monthly "wine and cheese" gathering at which the most senior partner who bothered to turn up would read out the names of those who had reached 5, 10, 15 and 20 years' service.

I joined at the same time as our HR assistant whose knowledge of anything extended to the square root of F-all. On our 5 years at the firm they read out her name and forgot mine. That sort of summed up the firm in a nutshell.
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15412
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum