The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First All Blacks world cup squad named:

+12
emack2
Fanster
GunsGerms
The Saint
chewed_mintie
Notch
rodders
BamBam
Geordie
yappysnap
George Carlin
blackcanelion
16 posters

Go down

First All Blacks world cup squad named: Empty First All Blacks world cup squad named:

Post by blackcanelion Mon 22 Jun 2015, 2:47 am

Here's the team:
Forwards:
Hookers
Dane Coles - Hurricanes / Wellington (27)
Hikawera Elliot - Chiefs / Poverty Bay (3)
Keven Mealamu - Blues / Auckland (123)
Codie Taylor - Crusaders / Canterbury

Props
Wyatt Crockett - Crusaders / Canterbury (27)
Charlie Faumuina - Blues / Auckland (20)
Ben Franks - Hurricanes / Hawke's Bay (31)
Owen Franks - Crusaders / Canterbury (57)
Joe Moody - Crusaders / Canterbury (8)
Tony Woodcock - Blues /North Harbour (110)

Locks
James Broadhurst - Hurricanes / Taranaki
Brodie Retallick - Chiefs / Bay of Plenty (36)
Luke Romano - Crusaders / Canterbury (17)
Jeremy Thrush - Hurricanes / Wellington (11)
Samuel Whitelock - Crusaders / Canterbury (62)

Loose forwards
Sam Cane - Chiefs / Bay of Plenty (22)
Jerome Kaino - Blues /Auckland (56)
Richie McCaw (captain) - Crusaders / Canterbury (137)
Liam Messam - Chiefs / Waikato (40)
Kieran Read - Crusaders / Canterbury (72)
Matt Todd - Crusaders / Canterbury (2)
Victor Vito - Hurricanes / Wellington (26)

Backs:
Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow - Chiefs / Waikato (15)
TJ Perenara - Hurricanes / Wellington (11)
Aaron Smith - Highlanders / Manawatu (38)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett - Hurricanes / Taranaki (28)
Daniel Carter - Crusaders / Canterbury (102)
Colin Slade - Crusaders /Canterbury (17)
Lima Sopoaga - Highlanders / Southland

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty - Crusaders / Canterbury (13)
Malakai Fekitoa - Highlanders / Auckland (8)
Ma'a Nonu - Hurricanes / Wellington (94)
Conrad Smith - Hurricanes / Wellington (85)
Sonny Bill Williams - Chiefs / Counties Manukau (23)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg - Crusaders /Hawke's Bay (46)
Cory Jane - Hurricanes / Wellington (48)
Nehe Milner-Skudder - Hurricanes / Manawatu *
Waisake Naholo - Highlanders / Taranaki *
Charles Piutau - Blues /Auckland (14)
Julian Savea - Hurricanes / Wellington (33)
Ben Smith - Highlanders / Otago (38)

There's 5 newbies in the squad:

Waisake Naholo: Possibly the form winger in the NZ  super XV sides. Played for NZ under 20's (same team as Barrett, Cruden et al) and for the sevens team. Born and raised in Fiji, boarded in NZ.
Nehe Milner-Scudder: Fullback/Wing. Tearing it up for the hurricanes this year. Potentially a modern day Cullen type player. He was a standout touch player at school, before going through the Canterbury Rugby league under 20 side in Australia (not to be confused with the Crusaders Union side).
Lima Sapoaga: 1st V or 2nd v (no 10 or 12). Has hit a rich vein of form with Aaron Smith at the Highlanders. also a former under 20 rep in 2011. Probably competing for the 3rd flyhalf position.
James Broadhurst. Lock. A late developer. Looking to compete for the 3/4 locking position.
Codie Taylor: An up and coming Hooker. Will be competing for the 3/4 hooker.
Interestingly they all played school boy rugby in the Hurricanes region.

The following players are out injured.

Nathan Harris (Hooker)
Aaron Cruden (1st V)
Augustine Pulu (halfback)
Seven Luatua (Blindside/Lock)
Patrick Tuipolotu (Lock)

There following players have been included as injury cover:
Andy Ellis for Kerr-Barlow
Nepo Laulala for Charlie Faumuina

Obviously, this team will be cut. There are still opportunities for others to make the squad. Here's some analysis from Shag: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/69576689/coach-steve-hansen-promises-every-all-black-gametime-before-world-cup

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

First All Blacks world cup squad named: Empty Re: First All Blacks world cup squad named:

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Jun 2015, 7:58 am

Looks rubbish, Canelion. ( Run )

But seriously, how does the junior system produce so much talent? Are there school-age club competitions? How early are they introduced to serious conditioning? I ask this having watched our U20s get dragged through the mud by your lot earlier this morning.

On a related note, what are your views about young Damian MacKenzie at the Chiefs? Not that he is SQ and we'd like to poach him, or anything Whistle . What are his chances of getting into the ABs squad over the next 5 years?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

First All Blacks world cup squad named: Empty Re: First All Blacks world cup squad named:

Post by yappysnap Mon 22 Jun 2015, 10:33 am

Surprised to drull see mealamu in there!

There's just so much talent in NZ, the sooner the French buy it all into their leagues the better...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Jun 2015, 10:58 am

Wasn't Ardie Savea in line for the squad...or did I completely make that up?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 22 Jun 2015, 11:01 am

I imagine he was, but Cane has been in red hot form this year, Todd has been going pretty well and we all know McCaw is going to wind back the clock about 10 years for the next 3 months, so was pretty tough competition

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 22 Jun 2015, 11:07 am

Amazing quality in that squad - scary.

Some of the attacking rugby the NZ teams are playing in super rugby is just out of this world.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 22 Jun 2015, 11:11 am

Looks weak.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

Why doesn't the pragmatic thing just happen now whereby the whole of France just purchases the whole of New Zealand wholesale?

Then France would have a worthwhile team and it would shortcut all of this back and forth nonsense on individual players come transfer time.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 22 Jun 2015, 1:00 pm

Really happy for my Hurricanes contingent, especially Milner-Skudder (so good on his feet and my son's player du jour) and James Broadhurst who apparently was singled out nearly 10 years ago by Brad Thorn as a player to watch when he started with the Crusaders.

Not sure about Matt Todd though...is this selection to keep him in NZ, and therefore the Crusaders bearing in mind McCaw is leaving? Ardie Savea a much better player in my opinion and should be there on merit.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 22 Jun 2015, 3:48 pm

Pretty average team in there somewhere. Just look at the lack of quality in the back row.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 22 Jun 2015, 3:57 pm

Given that McCaw looks destined to overtake BOD test cap record of 141 caps possibly before the WC I wonder how long it will be before anyone comes close to his record? A long time Id say.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:25 pm

It's amazing to think an openside could manage 140 caps, an outside centre makes sense but a 7?!?!?!

Regarding the squad, huge amount of talent, huge amount of experience, huge amount of skill... not a huge amount combined.

If there was a weakness of this kiwi team it would have to be that the experienced players are too experienced, and those behind aren't the finished article yet.

A few injuries would highlight a big gap in experience, I know thats true for all but it really does highlight the need for luck, and squad depth in the modern game, the best XV doesn't win the RWC, it's the best 24/25 players these days.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:30 pm

McCaw's record will never be beaten. With players starting earlier and the game become more attritional each year...plus the temptation of money from France and Japan I don't see many players breaking 100 caps in future.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 22 Jun 2015, 4:33 pm

rodders wrote:McCaw's record will never be beaten. With players starting earlier and the game become more attritional each year...plus the temptation of money from France and Japan I don't see many players breaking 100 caps in future.

Rehabilitation, nutrition and fitness/conditioning is becoming much more advanced too. Great players tend to play more tests these days for these reasons but also because there are more tests to play. I think it will be broken but maybe not for a decade or so.

George North has over 50 caps and is still only 23 for example. By the time BOD was 23 he only had 24 caps.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 22 Jun 2015, 6:46 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
rodders wrote:McCaw's record will never be beaten. With players starting earlier and the game become more attritional each year...plus the temptation of money from France and Japan I don't see many players breaking 100 caps in future.

Rehabilitation, nutrition and fitness/conditioning is becoming much more advanced too. Great players tend to play more tests these days for these reasons but also because there are more tests to play. I think it will be broken but maybe not for a decade or so.

George North has over 50 caps and is still only 23 for example. By the time BOD was 23 he only had 24 caps.

Huge durable wingers are becoming a staple in the game though, I don't think North has faced too much huge opposition until recent season or 2, the Aviva premiership has slowed down his ability to perform week in week out, and injuries are becoming more of an issue with him.

When considering North though, 50 caps at 23 is astonishing, another 5 years and he'll have 100 at 28, will he be able to go another 40 odd though and still be playing international rugby at the age of 31/32? Even now its a huge ask, without considering injuries, and form!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 9:40 pm

When you consider this is the squad for the year NOT just the RWC it is rather small
England have named 50.In NZ rugby is played in competitive teams from ages 4 to
Senior level.Internationally at Schools,under 17,under19 levels.NOT usually at A level.
Juniors/Maori`s only get the odd match due to cost.

Then its ITM/Cup matches,Super levels,then Test,IF Super Rugby knock out stages were
decided on League win/losses.4 NZ and 2 Aus franchises would compete the knockout
stages.BOTH S/F home places would have been NZ.

For the first time in 4 years the Baby Blacks squad fielded players with Super experience
and several in the SF teams would qualify too.

Agreed injuries will reduce the Squad before the RWC some of the injured not considered
may recover in time for RWC.

That SQUAD has a lot of depth all 5 Props,3 hookers,3 Locks,all the Loose forwards
3 SH`s,2 FH`s plus 1,wings,midfield,fbs have all played a lot together.

The best 31 will be the equal or better than anyother teams 31,whether that`s enough
to win successive RWC`s is another matter.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:33 am

It's possible that the starting XV could have over 900 caps. I don't see any weakness in this team. Extraordinary.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:36 am

emack2 wrote:When you consider this is the squad for the year NOT just the RWC it is rather small
England have named 50.In NZ rugby is played in competitive teams from ages 4 to
Senior level.Internationally at Schools,under 17,under19 levels.NOT usually at A level.
Juniors/Maori`s only get the odd match due to cost.

Then its ITM/Cup matches,Super levels,then Test,IF Super Rugby knock out stages were
decided on League win/losses.4 NZ and 2 Aus franchises would compete the knockout
stages.BOTH S/F home places would have been NZ.

For the first time in 4 years the Baby Blacks squad fielded players with Super experience
and several in the SF teams would qualify too.

Agreed injuries will reduce the Squad before the RWC some of the injured not considered
may recover in time for RWC.

That SQUAD has a lot of depth all 5 Props,3 hookers,3 Locks,all the Loose forwards
3 SH`s,2 FH`s plus 1,wings,midfield,fbs have all played a lot together.

The best 31 will be the equal or better than anyother teams 31,whether that`s enough
to win successive RWC`s is another matter.
How do you rate the squad as a whole in comparison to AB RWC squads of previous years, Alan?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 6:19 pm

Not quite as good as 1995,better than 1999.-2003,about equal 2007 slightly better than2011.

Difficult to judge 2013 was the peak,2014 looked like doing it by the numbers,this year.

Crusaders [especially]appear to be rotating players to order,to protect a lot of there
team coming off injuries.

Lot will depend on injuries before then presumeably about 50 will actually travel it is
more who will miss the cut.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Wed 24 Jun 2015, 6:39 am

Picking 31 will be a right headache

I think ABs 2011-2015 are better than 1995 in relative terms. There's a few also rans when I scan the 1995 team list. I'd only have Dowd, Olo Brown and Wilson from the 1995 team in my 2015 team (if I use my imagination). Maybe Fitzy but I think Coles is a better player and McCaw is an equally great, if not better, captain so Fitzy doesn't make it on his captaincy ability. Savea is better than Lomu (people may not agree with that but it's true).

1995 team

Glen Osborne (North Harbour)
Eric Rush (North Harbour)
Jeff Wilson (Otago)
Marc Ellis (Otago)
Jonah Lomu (Counties)
Frank Bunce (North Harbour)
Walter Little (North Harbour)
Alama Ieremia (Wellington)
Andrew Mehrtens (Canterbury)
Simon Culhane (Southland)
Ant Strachan (North Harbour)
Graeme Bachop (Canterbury)
Zinzan Brooke (Auckland)
Kevin Schuler (North Harbour)
Mike Brewer (Canterbury)
Jamie Joseph (Otago)
Paul Henderson (Southland)
Josh Kronfeld (Otago)
Blair Larsen (North Harbour)
Ian Jones (North Harbour)
Robin Brooke (Auckland)
Craig Dowd (Auckland)
Olo Brown (Auckland)
Richard Loe (Canterbury)
Sean Fitzpatrick (Auckland) (captain)
Norm Hewitt (Southland)
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 12:55 pm

I'd take the 95 front row no question. Also Wilson for wing.
It's different times but I don't think there would be anything between the Bunce/Little combination and a Nonu/Smith combination. Also Jones/Brooke were pretty good for awhile.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:53 pm

I keep coming back to look at this thread and I don't know why, it is a depressing read for anyone not kiwi!!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:59 pm

laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Mon 29 Jun 2015, 2:52 pm

Ha, it's alright, the ABs are due for a choke in the next 3-4 world cups. We've probably peaked way to early again. Yeah ngan, agree about Bunce/Little. But Nonu/Smith! Man, hard to say which have had the bigger impact. I think Nonu sways it for me. He's had a couple of dips in his career but has been massive for the ABs.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:10 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:Really happy for my Hurricanes contingent, especially Milner-Skudder (so good on his feet and my son's player du jour) and James Broadhurst who apparently was singled out nearly 10 years ago by Brad Thorn as a player to watch when he started with the Crusaders.
Had to look that youngfeller up.

He looks rubbish picard :

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:14 pm

George Carlin wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:Really happy for my Hurricanes contingent, especially Milner-Skudder (so good on his feet and my son's player du jour) and James Broadhurst who apparently was singled out nearly 10 years ago by Brad Thorn as a player to watch when he started with the Crusaders.
Had to look that youngfeller up.

He looks rubbish picard :

Does this montage include him tearing the Brumbies a new one before he went off? The kid is seriously good. I'm thinking he could be a bolter at Jane's expense.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:49 pm

What position does he play?

Theres a lot of front foot broken line bal in that montage, I distrust these compilations, and havn't seen him play too much except for a few sub appearances.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:03 am

Right wing.

What I like is that he genuinely can step of both feet. but remember he is playing outside Nonu and C.Smith who both quite good.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:10 am

Oh yer man, yeah he looks quite good for the hurricanes (understatement Smile). Looks a good foil for Savea on the other wing. Not sure about the hair cut though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down