The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great News - Barnes will not be reffing any Ireland pool games...

+23
blackcanelion
The Great Aukster
Sgt_Pooly
Pot Hale
asoreleftshoulder
No 7&1/2
rodders
eirebilly
LondonTiger
whocares
Jimpy
The Saint
Don Alfonso
wolfball
Fanster
Notch
yappysnap
Sin é
Poorfour
Chunky Norwich
offload
Cyril
GunsGerms
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Great News - Barnes will not be reffing any Ireland pool games... Empty Great News - Barnes will not be reffing any Ireland pool games...

Post by GunsGerms Wed 01 Jul 2015, 4:59 pm

...unless a scheduled ref mysteriously retires or steps down at the last minute again. I predict he will be given Ireland's quarter though if we get there.

List of ref apointments here:

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/78669

The appointments for the knock-out stages will be made after the pool stage.

Irelands record under Barnes in the last 10 years:

Match List:

Sources:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/mar/24/england-referees-elite-panel
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/pascal-pape-appeals-10-week-ban-for-kneeing-jamie-heaslip-1.2120489
http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/stats/index.html?class=1;orderby=date;spanmin1=01+jan+2005;spanval1=span;team=3;template=results;type=team;view=match
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7370102/Henry-suspected-match-fixing-after-07-loss

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm; edited 7 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Great News - Barnes will not be reffing any Ireland pool games... Empty Re: Great News - Barnes will not be reffing any Ireland pool games...

Post by Cyril Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:07 pm

You just know he's pencilled in for your quarter final against New Zealand!

Ireland have mainly Sunday games. I guess that means a lot of sickies on Monday mornings...

England's are Friday (for the opener) and then three Saturdays (all 20:00). Nice Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Great News - Barnes will not be reffing any Ireland pool games... Empty Re: Great News - Barnes will not be reffing any Ireland pool games...

Post by GunsGerms Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:12 pm

Cyril wrote:You just know he's pencilled in for your quarter final against New Zealand!

Ireland have mainly Sunday games. I guess that means a lot of sickies on Monday mornings...

England's are Friday (for the opener) and then three Saturdays (all 20:00). Nice Smile

If Ireland play NZ in the quarters and Barnes refs it Im guessing both teams will lose.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:16 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril wrote:You just know he's pencilled in for your quarter final against New Zealand!

If Ireland play NZ in the quarters and Barnes refs it Im guessing both teams will lose.

Yeah, hope so.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

Haha. I bet you do.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

That's a blow.....

In the "Ireland get your excuse in early" sweepstake I drew Barnes. Wink
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:39 pm

Well whaddyaknow....Nigel to referee Ireland's win against France. What a surprise.

#HomeRun

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:40 pm

No further proof needed that rugby is corrupt at the top.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm

I'm absolutely delighted with getting our ref Nigel Owens. Thank you so much IRFU and thank you Mr Owens Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jul 2015, 6:55 pm

Also absolutely delighted IRFU have ensured that Barnes will not be reffing us. How that numpty gets to ref in the World Cup I don't know.

IRFU just have to make sure we avoid Barnes after we qualify out of the group.

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 01 Jul 2015, 7:04 pm

Quite happy with the England assignments, too. Garces for Eng v Wal, Poite for Eng v Aus. I imagine Mr Rowntree is pretty pleased too.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 01 Jul 2015, 7:07 pm

Nigel will have his hands full with Hodges and Barnes to actually ref the game!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 7:20 pm

shameless

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 7:55 pm

Owens once went 150 minutes without awarding France a penalty in back to back 6Nation games with Ireland.

#16thMan.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:00 pm

#Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

Why were France and Ireland playing twice?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:23 pm

I'm more concerned about his timekeeping than anything else. If Ireland have to play France for 150 minutes in the World Cup it will be hard to recover for the quarter-finals.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:27 pm

Did they just hit a replay? Maybe it was the year they didn't play, they just doubled up the time after?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:45 pm

shameless

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:54 pm

#bestrefintheworld Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:58 pm

2 and a half hours straight rugby against the French without conceding a penalty.

Only one man in the world would let Ireland do that. And he's going to get them to a semi final.

#corrupt.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:59 pm

#seeyouinthefinalnige

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:00 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:2 and a half hours straight rugby against the French without conceding a penalty.

#discipline

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm

#16thMan

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:13 pm

Lets just hope the right France turn up and take the decision out of Nigel's biased hands.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:21 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:Lets just hope the right France turn up and take the decision out of Nigel's biased hands.

So IReland 50 - 0 then?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:34 pm

Haterz gonna hate

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:00 am

I CANNOT believe we are again having Joubert ref us against Australia! Someone up there has a great sense of humour... Any slim chance we had of beating those pesky Wallabies is extinguished.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 02 Jul 2015, 8:59 am

Getting Joubert against the Aussies could be a disadvantage alright. Personally though I have a feeling Australia will beat England and then Wales will finally beat the Aussies in the group stages. England and Australia will then advance on points.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:29 am

Don Alfonso wrote:Haterz gonna hate
The Irish certainly do see to hate Barnes.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:30 am

Poorfour wrote:Quite happy with the England assignments, too. Garces for Eng v Wal, Poite for Eng v Aus. I imagine Mr Rowntree is pretty pleased too.

Ireland should be pleased that Barnes is officiating, he's one of the best Referees at top level there is.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:53 am

Jimpy wrote:
Poorfour wrote:Quite happy with the England assignments, too. Garces for Eng v Wal, Poite for Eng v Aus. I imagine Mr Rowntree is pretty pleased too.

Ireland should be pleased that Barnes is officiating, he's one of the best Referees at top level there is.

We are pleased....as long as he is not reffing any of our games.

Top referee Very Happy  Garces controversial decision very probably cost Ulster a semi final place, but I would still much rather have Garces ref us than Barnes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:13 am

Munchkin wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Top referee Very Happy  Garces controversial decision very probably cost Ulster a semi final place, but I would still much rather have Garces ref us than Barnes.

Ah, the never ending 'Barnes costs Ireland matches' theory.

Hilarious.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:38 am

Jimpy wrote:

Hilarious.

Its a good think Wales fans never blame Allan Rolland for their World cup exit. laughing

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:53 am

GunsGerms wrote:Getting Joubert against the Aussies could be a disadvantage alright. Personally though I have a feeling Australia will beat England and then Wales will finally beat the Aussies in the group stages. England and Australia will then advance on points.

I think having Romain Poite refereeing the Eng v Aus game (and Joubert refereeing Wal v Aus) makes that scenario significantly less likely. Barring an injury crisis of massive (England) or moderate (Wales) proportions, both England and Wales will have a setpiece advantage over Australia, and of all the international referees Poite is the one who will give them the most opportunity to exploit it. By the same token. Joubert is much less sympathetic to the dominant team in the scrum and may nullify Wales's advantage.

England will also be pleased with Garces for the Wales game - another ref who will allow strong scrums to use their edge. England and Wales are more evenly matched, but I would expect England to get an advantage as the game goes on due to the negligible gap in ability between their starting and bench props. I could only see that being reversed if our backup hooker really isn't up to it.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:59 am

Jimpy wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Hilarious.

What's hilarious is you imagining that I stated something which I clearly didn't. I just don't like Barnes. I don't think he is a good ref. I'm not a fan of Clancy either or Hodges. There you go.

Keep laughing, Jimpy, but the laughs on you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

This thread has turned out well (and not at predictably) Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:43 pm

I used to think Joubert had it in for Wales. It turns out that he just shouldn't officiate a NH vs SH game. He seems to allow a bit of a free-for-all at the breakdown, but then gets bored and penalises the NH team for try to play the 'SH way.'

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:21 pm

well Owens ... how predictable and annoying.

on the other hand Garces reffing Ireland vs Italy just before that game. prediction : Healy and Kearney red carded for actually jumping Very Happy

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

Gas the way England's bogey ref mysteriously retired months before the world cup started for "business reasons".

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:41 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Hilarious.

What's hilarious is you imagining that I stated something which I clearly didn't. I just don't like Barnes. I don't think he is a good ref. I'm not a fan of Clancy either or Hodges. There you go.

Oh... know him personally do you? Or, alternatively, you don't like Barnes because you disagree with the way he officiates. It is a rather hackneyed opinion that Barnes cost Ireland an important game or two, because of his officiating. Or are you not on that particular bandwagon?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:50 pm

I think we have won something like 3 of the last 13 or so games Barnes has reffed. I definitely think he is a dodgy ref. At the very least he is outrageously inconsistent. Basically he isnt fit for International games IMO. Too much at stake to have amatures like him on board.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm

GunsGerms wrote:I think we have won something like 3 of the last 13 or so games Barnes has reffed. I definitely think he is a dodgy ref. At the very least he is outrageously inconsistent. Basically he isnt fit for International games IMO. Too much at stake to have amatures like him on board.

Or maybe it is because Ireland were not the better team in those encounters, or were unable to adapt to the style in which those games were refereed.

Barnes was one of the most consistent referees in the last 6N. Several well qualified commentators and pundits agreed.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:58 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Hilarious.

Oh... know him personally do you? Or, alternatively, you don't like Barnes because you disagree with the way he officiates. It is a rather hackneyed opinion that Barnes cost Ireland an important game or two, because of his officiating. Or are you not on that particular bandwagon?

I don't like Barnes as a ref because of the way he officiates. I simply think he's a very poor ref.

Ref's do cost games. It happens. Not always because they are biased, but mostly because they happen to make mistakes. And, no, I am not on that particular bandwagon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

Barnes has cost Quins a few games, too. But Conor O'Shea recently said that given a choice of all refs he would happily have Wayne referee all our games.

WB is nowhere near as dodgy as Walsh was. But he has very specific things he looks for, especially in the scrum and breakdown, and sometimes misses other things as a result .

Personally , I prefer Poite's style of refereeing a sequence of events. But to each his own.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:28 pm

Poorfour wrote:Barnes has cost Quins a few games, too. But Conor O'Shea recently said that given a choice of all refs he would happily have Wayne referee all our games.

I find Barnes a bit fussy, but then so are most refs. I am always worried if he is reffing when we play Quins as his style favours you over us, but when we play Saints his style favours us over them.

The OP has stated in the past that Barnes is deliberately biased against Ireland and deliberately penalises them more than the opposition. Easier to claim corruption than accept that his own team are too dim to understand and adapt to the refs style.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm

Poorfour wrote:Barnes has cost Quins a few games, too. But Conor O'Shea recently said that given a choice of all refs he would happily have Wayne referee all our games.

That says more about the standard of refs in the Aviva.

WB is nowhere near as dodgy as Walsh was. But he has very specific things he looks for, especially in the scrum and breakdown, and sometimes misses other things as a result .

Personally , I prefer Poite's style of refereeing a sequence of events. But to each his own.

Walsh had improved a lot in recent years. Barnes is a poor communicator and talks at players. He should never ref internationals involving Wales as he went to school there.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

Jimpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I think we have won something like 3 of the last 13 or so games Barnes has reffed. I definitely think he is a dodgy ref. At the very least he is outrageously inconsistent. Basically he isnt fit for International games IMO. Too much at stake to have amatures like him on board.

Or maybe it is because Ireland were not the better team in those encounters, or were unable to adapt to the style in which those games were refereed.

Barnes was one of the most consistent referees in the last 6N. Several well qualified commentators and pundits agreed.

Consistently rubbish alright. If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd it usually is a turd.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:29 pm

I am torn on this. Although I generally feel that Barnes is one of the best referee's in the world, Ireland do loose far too often when he is refereeing.

You could argue that Ireland have to adjust better to him but that is not always so easy. I actually thought that Ireland did adjust better to him than Wales did in the 6N but still came out on the loosing end. Not Barnes' fault that loss.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:18 pm

eirebilly wrote:I am torn on this. Although I generally feel that Barnes is one of the best referee's in the world, Ireland do loose far too often when he is refereeing.

You could argue that Ireland have to adjust better to him but that is not always so easy. I actually thought that Ireland did adjust better to him than Wales did in the 6N but still came out on the loosing end. Not Barnes' fault that loss.

Cyril has hacked billsers account! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next