The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 7 - Blow a Gasquet & Bust Agut

+19
slashermcguirk
Josiah Maiestas
killer938
LuvSports!
Jahu
FedsFan
kingraf
CaledonianCraig
HM Murdock
Calder106
temporary21
Duty281
sirfredperry
Born Slippy
banbrotam
Johnyjeep
bogbrush
biugo
JuliusHMarx
23 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 7 - Blow a Gasquet & Bust Agut Empty Wimbledon Day 7 - Blow a Gasquet & Bust Agut

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:16 pm

Order of play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 7 - Blow a Gasquet & Bust Agut Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 7 - Blow a Gasquet & Bust Agut

Post by biugo Sun 05 Jul 2015, 2:42 pm

Very Happy Very Happy clap thumbsup

biugo

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 7 - Blow a Gasquet & Bust Agut Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 7 - Blow a Gasquet & Bust Agut

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Jul 2015, 5:30 pm

Hopefully the Greeks have blown a Gasket in the German Fourth Reich Project today and Bust a Gut of the EU.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sun 05 Jul 2015, 5:59 pm

Interesting that Fed is on Centre and Djokovic is on Number 1.

Flip of the coin that one. I'd have probably given the edge to Novaks match to be on Centre.

You'd have thought that means should Fed and Berdych make it through - that would be on No.1. Unless RF gets to play all his matches on CC. Because should it pan out as planned - hard to see RF vs AM not on CC!

Is that an actual policy? That "they" should play at least one match off CC? Now I think about it - not sure how that can be the case. Or is it just one of these urban myths that has gained momentum.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:13 pm

I'm slightly surprised Fed is on CC as I'd have thought this was their last chance to show him Court 1, him v Berd being the pick of the quarters (apart maybe from Kyrgios / Stan).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:23 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't get any of these article headings Sad

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:25 pm

Johnyjeep wrote:Interesting that Fed is on Centre and Djokovic is on Number 1.

Flip of the coin that one. I'd have probably given the edge to Novaks match to be on Centre.

You'd have thought that means should Fed and Berdych make it through - that would be on No.1. Unless RF gets to play all his matches on CC. Because should it pan out as planned - hard to see RF vs AM not on CC!

Is that an actual policy? That "they" should play at least one match off CC? Now I think about it - not sure how that can be the case. Or is it just one of these urban myths that has gained momentum.

It's not a policy, but usually happens. For me Wimbledon favour Roger as much as they can, given his number of wins, its hard not to argue with that. But Novak has won the even two out of the last four times and surely is the only one who should get centre court all the time

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:43 pm

Yeah, Fed v RBA is a total mis-match and shouldn't be anywhere near CC. I would have stuck that on Court 2, moved Djoker v Anderson to CC and Gasquet v Kyrgios to Court 1.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:50 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Yeah, Fed v RBA is a total mis-match and shouldn't be anywhere near CC. I would have stuck that on Court 2, moved Djoker v Anderson to CC and Gasquet v Kyrgios to Court 1.
Federer on No 2???!!!

Heresy. Wash your mouth out!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:50 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Yeah, Fed v RBA is a total mis-match and shouldn't be anywhere near CC. I would have stuck that on Court 2, moved Djoker v Anderson to CC and Gasquet v Kyrgios to Court 1.

thumbsup

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Sun 05 Jul 2015, 7:45 pm

lol yeah maybe not court 2!!! But I agree with a mis-match! Hence why I thought Djoko being No.1, defending champion and good chance of a better match - probably warranted Centre Court!!

Will be interesting if they don't put RF and TB on CC and put it on No.1. Only because I assume TB has already played on there? Or if not, is certainly more accustomed to playing on other courts than just centre.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm

bogbrush wrote:Hopefully the Greeks have blown a Gasket in the German Fourth Reich Project today and Bust a Gut of the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76RrdwElnTU

Apologies, but I'm happy!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:38 pm

I think Wimbledon like to ensure the top players play on number one at least once. Would have thought tomorrow would have been the best time to put Fed on Ct 1.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:49 pm

bogbrush wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Hopefully the Greeks have blown a Gasket in the German Fourth Reich Project today and Bust a Gut of the EU.

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 05 Jul 2015, 9:21 pm

They would probably put them both in centre. With Williams sisters clash in the middle (seriously I just noticed that!) putting Novak on court one is for the fans, a chance for non cc people to see Novak in action. Same reason murray and rafa go there often too. Had Novak been on 1 yet, I know roger has and that might have been the reason

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun 05 Jul 2015, 11:15 pm

temporary21 wrote:They would probably put them both in centre. With Williams sisters clash in the middle (seriously I just noticed that!) putting Novak on court one is for the fans, a chance for non cc people to see Novak in action. Same reason murray and rafa go there often too. Had Novak been on 1 yet, I know roger has and that might have been the reason

Pretty sure Roger hasn't this year.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 06 Jul 2015, 9:14 am

bogbrush wrote:

Clever Greeks using the EU's greatest fear - the referendum - against them.

No 'good' outcome in this one, but they have found their way to the least bad. I'm surprised to see Varoufakis has resigned this morning, but I suppose the politics of that move strengthen Tsipiras' hand overall in the negotiations.

I'm relishing how the bluster of Juncker and Schulz has achieved nothing other than to back themselves into a corner and make loss of political face inevitable.

But I'm way off topic.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 06 Jul 2015, 9:44 am

Indeed you are HM Smile
Don't think we'll be having this debate on the tennis section - it's all Greek to me anyway.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 06 Jul 2015, 9:51 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Indeed you are HM Smile
Don't think we'll be having this debate on the tennis section - it's all Greek to me anyway.
I can always rely on you for old classic gags, JHM. Smile

What's a Greek urn?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 06 Jul 2015, 10:00 am

HM Murdoch wrote:

What's a Greek urn?

Double Dutch

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 06 Jul 2015, 10:06 am

HM Murdoch wrote:

What's a Greek urn?

About five bob a week.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 06 Jul 2015, 10:54 am

What exactly does the EU lose if Greece leave? A bit of Yoghurt, some salad? Names that have way too many consonants?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:10 am

And Feta!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:36 am

They lose two things. Confidence in markets, and the illusion that leaving the eu is an impossibility. The second one is what they're very frightened of, hence pumping all that money into them

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:36 am

Last week when Sue Barker questioned why Murray was on Court 1, Henman said all players will be put on there in the interests of fairness. Bear in mind Federer had a match on Court 1 in 2007 and the next time he was there was in 2012! I would have thought today would have been a better day to put him 1 with RBA. I would imagine it to be difficult to adjust to a new environment so having to adjust to that with someone like RBA less of an issue than having to do with say Berdych who has played all his matches on court 1 and has the feel of the court.

The minute I saw the line up on CC for today I had a sneaky suspicion there might be a special VIP in the Royal Box today and if this is the case, I think it might be William and Kate as they are both Federer/Murray fans.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:39 am

What's concerning is if Greece refuses to pay the debt and decides to start trading mostly with Non eu countries, with an interest to weaken them. What are the eu gonna do? Force them?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:45 am

So Djoko again kicked out of Center Court?

The accidental No:1 gets no respect from RG or W laughing

Come on Kevin, make SA proud today!!!

temp, it will sorted out, don't worry, if Greece is kicked out of Eurozone, it will be kicked out of EU completely.

But then again, retiring at 45y, 13-14 salaries p/a, infrastructure funds loaned from EU used to pay salaries, etc etc. they have nothing to trade on, except sand, sea, and lemons.

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:48 am

Its probably best for them. A new currency lets them give very cheap exports and holidays, to get tourism in and pump some money in.

In more important news, Kyrgios opens the account with a break of serve

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:49 am

temporary21 wrote:What's concerning is if Greece refuses to pay the debt and decides to start trading mostly with Non eu countries, with an interest to weaken them. What are the eu gonna do? Force them?
In theory, if they break the common external tariff in trading with other countries, they'll be in breach of treaty and have to be kicked out. (This is biggest flaw in the EU that gets missed by so many - it's not a common market, it's a customs union).

That seems unlikely though. The EU, and Greece itself, doesn't want them to leave.

Leaving the Eurozone though (countries that use the Euro) seem inevitable.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:50 am

While I will be supporting Kevin Anderson... It's only because he's facing Djokovic, and not because he's South African. Had he been facing anyone else, I'd support that guy. He's less South African than Federer as of now.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:57 am

Ah the vagueries of national identity. I suppose tennis is a sport where it means the least

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:57 am

Johnyjeep wrote:lol yeah maybe not court 2!!! But I agree with a mis-match! Hence why I thought Djoko being No.1, defending champion and good chance of a better match - probably warranted Centre Court!!

Will be interesting if they don't put RF and TB on CC and put it on No.1. Only because I assume TB has already played on there? Or if not, is certainly more accustomed to playing on other courts than just centre.

15 years ago I think there would have been a fair chance of it being on Court 2 - it was known as the graveyard of champions for a reason. However, the balance has moved towards making sure the likes of Fed are always on Centre, with the occasional foray to Court 1, regardless of how poor the match-up is. For commercial reasons it makes sense, but at the same time its a little sad.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:59 am

Born Slippy wrote:
Johnyjeep wrote:lol yeah maybe not court 2!!! But I agree with a mis-match! Hence why I thought Djoko being No.1, defending champion and good chance of a better match - probably warranted Centre Court!!

15 years ago I think there would have been a fair chance of it being on Court 2 - it was known as the graveyard of champions for a reason. However, the balance has moved towards making sure the likes of Fed are always on Centre, with the occasional foray to Court 1, regardless of how poor the match-up is. For commercial reasons it makes sense, but at the same time its a little sad.
You do realise with all this talk. Rba is going to make a real match if it now right?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

Gasquet breaks back

T21 - Not at all, but I'd have no reason to support Anderson if he was, say, Lithuanian. Thus the only real reason to support would be common nationality. His ambivalence to said common nationality places him just below Djokovic in my most disliked rankings
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:02 pm

temporary21 wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:

You do realise with all this talk. Rba is going to make a real match if it now right?

Yes, I think RBA is capable for making things awkward. His match with Federer at the USO wasn't smooth sailing plus RBA is playing a good tournament. However, I expect Federer to come through today. If he does, I think Berdych is going to be a big problem!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm

kingraf wrote:Gasquet breaks back

T21 - Not at all, but I'd have no reason to support Anderson if he was, say, Lithuanian. Thus the only real reason to support would be common nationality. His ambivalence to said common nationality places him just below Djokovic in my most disliked rankings
I find nationality a strange reason to support or dislike a sportsperson.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:10 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

Of course, how can you explain you support Djoko to a normal person? And then you play the neutral nationality does not matter card Laugh Hug
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:12 pm

You support who you like. I can understand not supporting a bloke on the day, for reasons of liking either the other guy playing or for reasons of opening up a draw. Straight up hating i something I dont see as logical

Troicki has the opener btw

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:13 pm

The difference in our respective nation's pasts in the matter of playing for your country, or indeed being able to wear your colours on the world scale probably means we're not going to look at this the same, Murdoch.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:16 pm

kingraf wrote:The difference in our respective nation's pasts in the matter of playing for your country, or indeed being able to wear your colours on the world scale probably means we're not going to look at this the same, Murdoch.

Yes, but wearing your birth country flag, while living abroad and not paying any taxes in your poor country that helped you from the start, is equal to treason.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

Kyrgios in a bit of bother two set points down
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

Yeah I mean some nations have been through a lot, for them their flag means a lot more than some other countries.
Its quite common for players to represent their country they dont live in anymore, but I can certainly understand the disappointment from that

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

Jahu wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Of course, how can you explain you support Djoko to a normal person? And then you play the neutral nationality does not matter card Laugh Hug
Supporting any player defies sensible explanation as far as I'm concerned.

To my great regret, that doesn't stop me doing it!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:24 pm

Kyrgios a set down now, frankly this is a more interesting match if Reechard gets ahead

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:31 pm

Kyrgios has indeed blown a gasket, set and a break down now, and -30

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:31 pm

Jahu wrote:
kingraf wrote:The difference in our respective nation's pasts in the matter of playing for your country, or indeed being able to wear your colours on the world scale probably means we're not going to look at this the same, Murdoch.

Yes, but wearing your birth country flag, while living abroad and not paying any taxes in your poor country that helped you from the start, is equal to treason.
If you're using paying taxes as a sign of virtue, then your argument is floundering.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:33 pm

7-5 4-0 so far for Gasquet, 2 breaks up. He would as well go through in straight: Kyrgios saved enough match points for 2 events last time they played (9 saves! and then winning - not unlike Murray-Gasquet at Wimbledon too...)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:34 pm

4-0...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:38 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
Jahu wrote:

If you're using paying taxes as a sign of virtue, then your argument is floundering.

HMM, by Taxes I mean a general contribution back to your country, not just taxes, but financial/sponsorship help with a million others things that a rich sportsman can do to help their own country. Not saying go and burn it all back home, but a million here and there annually, wont bankrupt any of them.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:44 pm

Pathetic from Kyrgios.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next