The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by LondonTiger Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

England

Lyth
Cook
Ballance
Bell
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Broad
Wood
Anderson


Australia

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood



Officials


Umpires - HDPK Dharmasena and M Erasmus
TV umpire - CB Gaffaney
Match referee - RS Madugalle
Reserve umpire - NGB Cook



Toss

Won by England who choose to bat.


Last edited by LondonTiger on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down


England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:15 pm

great catch by Root, considering how close he is that is a fine effort. England could not really have hoped for much better this morning, I thought anything under 350 they'd have been reasonably happy, and they've gone 40 runs better than that. Fully deserved though, they've bowled superbly this morning.

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12024
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Anybody remember that guy that used to play called Kevin Pietersen Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39442
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by JDizzle Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Well now. Great morning (hour and a bit!) for England!

JDizzle

Posts : 5656
Join date : 2011-03-12

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by VTR Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Duty281 wrote:
VTR wrote:
liverbnz wrote:Duty I admire you're optimism as always. Where are England getting these 10 wickets from though?

You beat me to it! How is the bowling attack that couldn't restrain such batting greats as BJ Watling and Luke Ronchi going to get the Aussies out for 300?!

Just like that, lads, just like that!

Alright, you got it spot on. That was clinical stuff, but you have to forgive my cynicism, the first Test series I followed was the 93 Ashes and I watched pretty much every ball of that in the school holidays, its not the kind of thing you get over easily!

VTR

Posts : 3921
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Duty281 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Excellent, clinical effort from England in the morning. All this rubbish about Cook being a negative or insipid captain - attacking brilliance on display this morning.

Golden position for the English to claim an expected victory in this first test now. 73 overs left today, a session tomorrow as well.

Be positive. An opening stand of 50+ will put the visitors in such retreat that they won't be able to recover. A lead of 330+ should be the target by stumps - would be a hell of a time for Cook, Lyth and Bell to forge some runs, as well.

Don't let this position slip.

Duty281

Posts : 24132
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 25
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by msp83 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Its better than England would have hoped for, Australia losing their last 5 today for only 44. Last 6 out for 50 in the end and England have a first innings lead of 122.
Can the Australian bowlers hit back? Mitchell Starc is under an injury cloud btw.......

msp83

Posts : 14301
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : India

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by hampo17 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:22 pm

VTR wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
VTR wrote:
liverbnz wrote:Duty I admire you're optimism as always. Where are England getting these 10 wickets from though?

You beat me to it! How is the bowling attack that couldn't restrain such batting greats as BJ Watling and Luke Ronchi going to get the Aussies out for 300?!

Just like that, lads, just like that!

Alright, you got it spot on. That was clinical stuff, but you have to forgive my cynicism, the first Test series I followed was the 93 Ashes and I watched pretty much every ball of that in the school holidays, its not the kind of thing you get over easily!

It's funny VTR how times change, I remember how much people celebrated beating Australia at Headingley in 2001, now they get angry if England have a bad hour. That series was a battering, but we'll always have that Butcher innings.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9099
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:24 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:great catch by Root, considering how close he is that is a fine effort. England could not really have hoped for much better this morning, I thought anything under 350 they'd have been reasonably happy, and they've gone 40 runs better than that. Fully deserved though, they've bowled superbly this morning.

Agree with all that. Poor, undisciplined batting from Australia though. No way should 7 of your top 8 (I'm ignoring the use of the nightwatchman which was another mistake) get double figures and then fail to reach 40.

guildfordbat

Posts : 14364
Join date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:24 pm

Did anyone mention that the pitch is rubbish and flat around the time Anderson got the new ball?
Apparently you can bowl skillfuly and get wickets.

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by VTR Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:27 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:
VTR wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
VTR wrote:
liverbnz wrote:Duty I admire you're optimism as always. Where are England getting these 10 wickets from though?

You beat me to it! How is the bowling attack that couldn't restrain such batting greats as BJ Watling and Luke Ronchi going to get the Aussies out for 300?!

Just like that, lads, just like that!

Alright, you got it spot on. That was clinical stuff, but you have to forgive my cynicism, the first Test series I followed was the 93 Ashes and I watched pretty much every ball of that in the school holidays, its not the kind of thing you get over easily!

It's funny VTR how times change, I remember how much people celebrated beating Australia at Headingley in 2001, now they get angry if England have a bad hour. That series was a battering, but we'll always have that Butcher innings.

That was a great innings, but as usual back then it was a good performance in a dead rubber, like Thorpe's debut hundred (and was it Fraser with the wickets??), Tuffers spinning them out, Caddick ten-for. They were dismal times and it was hard to see us ever winning The Ashes again

VTR

Posts : 3921
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by hampo17 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:30 pm

VTR wrote:
PaulHv2 wrote:
VTR wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
VTR wrote:
liverbnz wrote:Duty I admire you're optimism as always. Where are England getting these 10 wickets from though?

You beat me to it! How is the bowling attack that couldn't restrain such batting greats as BJ Watling and Luke Ronchi going to get the Aussies out for 300?!

Just like that, lads, just like that!

Alright, you got it spot on. That was clinical stuff, but you have to forgive my cynicism, the first Test series I followed was the 93 Ashes and I watched pretty much every ball of that in the school holidays, its not the kind of thing you get over easily!

It's funny VTR how times change, I remember how much people celebrated beating Australia at Headingley in 2001, now they get angry if England have a bad hour. That series was a battering, but we'll always have that Butcher innings.

That was a great innings, but as usual back then it was a good performance in a dead rubber, like Thorpe's debut hundred (and was it Fraser with the wickets??), Tuffers spinning them out, Caddick ten-for. They were dismal times and it was hard to see us ever winning The Ashes again

It was indeed, I hope never to see those times again. It's nice to have not only a successful England team, but also one that grabs the attention of the kids. When we started our junior coaching at my club this year was had 21 under 9 players, since the one day series that number has gone over 60!

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9099
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:great catch by Root, considering how close he is that is a fine effort. England could not really have hoped for much better this morning, I thought anything under 350 they'd have been reasonably happy, and they've gone 40 runs better than that. Fully deserved though, they've bowled superbly this morning.

Agree with all that. Poor, undisciplined batting from Australia though. No way should 7 of your top 8 (I'm ignoring the use of the nightwatchman which was another mistake) get double figures and then fail to reach 40.

a very fair point, four of the top 6 made 30 but failed to get to 40 which is a huge amount. Varying levels of blame to the batsmen (Clarke and Voges probably most culpable), some was down to very good bowling (thinking Warner and Haddin - not much he could do really - especially, but also to my mind Smith), but overall Australia have had probably the better conditions so far (more swing when they bowled I thought, sunnier when batting), and been wasteful with bat, ball, and of course in the field (Haddin). England's batting was maybe a bit gung ho, but we need to be careful to not ask for the best of both worlds: we can't complain when they play too negative, demand a more positive approach, and then whinge (too much) when the odd batsman takes it too far. Their bowling, particularly since tea yesterday, and fielding, have been top notch.

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12024
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Doody - Current odds on an English series win? I'm jumping ship.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16161
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 26
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Johnsosn bowling short again, this time at Broad pace. Looks like the fatigue theory is working.

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by hampo17 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Starc looks to be really struggling, can only be good news for England.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9099
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:great catch by Root, considering how close he is that is a fine effort. England could not really have hoped for much better this morning, I thought anything under 350 they'd have been reasonably happy, and they've gone 40 runs better than that. Fully deserved though, they've bowled superbly this morning.

Agree with all that. Poor, undisciplined batting from Australia though. No way should 7 of your top 8 (I'm ignoring the use of the nightwatchman which was another mistake) get double figures and then fail to reach 40.

a very fair point, four of the top 6 made 30 but failed to get to 40 which is a huge amount. Varying levels of blame to the batsmen (Clarke and Voges probably most culpable), some was down to very good bowling (thinking Warner and Haddin - not much he could do really - especially, but also to my mind Smith), but overall Australia have had probably the better conditions so far (more swing when they bowled I thought, sunnier when batting), and been wasteful with bat, ball, and of course in the field (Haddin). England's batting was maybe a bit gung ho, but we need to be careful to not ask for the best of both worlds: we can't complain when they play too negative, demand a more positive approach, and then whinge (too much) when the odd batsman takes it too far. Their bowling, particularly since tea yesterday, and fielding, have been top notch.

MfC - you'll probably recall (or perhaps wish you could forget! Smile ) from our Hall of Fame debates that I have a particular fondness for members of the supporting cast. With that in mind, I'll emphasise how valuable the contribution from Ballance is now looking. Yes, Root was England's batting star after his let off but how much Australia could have done with some of Ballance's grit in their middle order.

guildfordbat

Posts : 14364
Join date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by hampo17 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Very good catch that by Lyon.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9099
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Duty281 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:54 pm

kingraf wrote:Doody - Current odds on an English series win? I'm jumping ship.

Um...2/1 at Paddy Power.

http://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/ashes/test/series-winner

Seems the bookmakers might jump ship as well.

Ah Cook gone.

Duty281

Posts : 24132
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 25
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:56 pm

As we were saying Aus wont be afraid of the small lead England have and should esxpect to roll themn out for about 150.

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Tight lbw call on Lyth that couldve been given out. Only the 4th ball australia have managed to put on the stumps all innings according to the hawkeye on cricinfo

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by VTR Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Cook out, Lyth will be out pretty soon I expect. This is England so of course they won't do it the easy way! I now think we will get there though, with the Aussies unable to chase the 385 they are set to win

VTR

Posts : 3921
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by hampo17 Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:Starc looks to be really struggling, can only be good news for England.

I take it all back.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9099
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Duty281 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:04 pm

Starc bowling a near unplayable over. Sense England will be glad of the respite - they've got a good three sessions to bat, they can be perfectly patient if need be.

Duty281

Posts : 24132
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 25
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:04 pm

great over there from Starc, Ballance does well to survive (with a bit of luck). Crucial afternoon session coming up: will England be able to stamp their authority on the game, or will Aus come roaring back?

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12024
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:07 pm

on a sidenote, people here know I'm not a huge fan of most cricket TV commentators around today. However, I think Ponting's been a very good addition to the team there, doesn't say too much, but (obviously) knows his stuff, and has offered some very interesting insights I think.

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12024
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Do they ever let him and Warne in the same studio? That could be hilarious.

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:13 pm

That ankle isn't going to get better without rest...........He's out of the 2nd test......

Harris gone...Starc gone and Johnson looking like a club bowler....

Could be 2-0 and basically over after a fortnight of cricket....

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39442
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by seanmichaels Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:19 pm

Aus still very much in this game. Starc and Johnson are the type of bowlers who can run through a side

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Posts : 13330
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Virgin

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by dummy_half Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Well, a morning that could barely have gone any better for England - Cook's dismissal being the only blemish.

As I put earlier, I was hoping we'd get through the Aussies for a lead of between 50 and 75, so skittling them for just over 300 was a big positive. From the looks of things today, a lead of 120 + will be significantly valuable come the end of the match, as batting conditions look to be rather more difficult than yesterday especially against the new ball.

I said earlier that I made it 60/40 England for both of the first two days. This morning was more like 90/10 in England's favour. We're definitely well ahead at the moment, although as others have mentioned, it would only take a magic spell from either of the Mitchell's to turn the game on its head.

MfC

Interesting comment about Ponting as a commentator - I actually quite like McGrath on TMS, seems to understand that it's light-hearted banter.
As an aside, have you been following the tennis? Andy Roddick has been a studio pundit for the last couple of days and has been excellent - astute, affable and quite self-effacing.

dummy_half

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 49
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:24 pm

Sad to see players hurt of course; unless you are an australian fan who enjoys throwing beer and spitting on Simon Jones.

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by hampo17 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Ricky Ponting was my favourite "non English" player growing up, loved watching him bat at his best. He's fast becoming my favourite commentator as well. The piece Ian Ward did with him about his career is superb.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9099
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by seanmichaels Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:29 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Interesting comment about Ponting as a commentator - I actually quite like McGrath on TMS, seems to understand that it's light-hearted banter.

I got a response from him yesterday when he was fielding questions.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Posts : 13330
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Virgin

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by VTR Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 pm

Actually its all ok, we are better that our plodders don't hang around too long as its the difference between getting to the second new ball on about 230, or 320 if our middle order get in earlier. The first results in 300ao, the second 400 or so.

To put it slightly less flippantly, I don't think Lyth/Cook/Ballance is the ideal top 3, we need someone dynamic up there. I thought Lyth was supposed to play his shots but he scores even slower than Cook!


VTR

Posts : 3921
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by seanmichaels Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Martyn was always my favourite Aussie. If I could bat like anyone it would be him.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Posts : 13330
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Virgin

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:34 pm

If I could bat like anyone it would be Gilchrist. Or Ganguly.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16161
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 26
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:35 pm

I hope Starc isn't injured - he's magnificent to watch bowl
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Posts : 48259
Join date : 2011-09-19
Age : 25
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:36 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
dummy_half wrote:
Interesting comment about Ponting as a commentator - I actually quite like McGrath on TMS, seems to understand that it's light-hearted banter.

I got a response from him yesterday when he was fielding questions.

Please tell me the question was " should Warne have been made skipper?"

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Duty281 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:40 pm

England's success for the rest of the day relies upon seeing off the next 7-8 overs, waiting for the ball to lose its hardness and pace, and then capitalising on the poor, desperate Australian bowling on a slow pitch.

If Lyth and Ballance bat the first hour of the afternoon, the rest of the Test will be a stroll.

Duty281

Posts : 24132
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 25
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:44 pm

dummy_half wrote:
MfC

Interesting comment about Ponting as a commentator - I actually quite like McGrath on TMS, seems to understand that it's light-hearted banter.
As an aside, have you been following the tennis? Andy Roddick has been a studio pundit for the last couple of days and has been excellent - astute, affable and quite self-effacing.

yes I have been watching the tennis, agreed on Roddick: he's been excellent.

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12024
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by VTR Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:England's success for the rest of the day relies upon seeing off the next 7-8 overs, waiting for the ball to lose its hardness and pace, and then capitalising on the poor, desperate Australian bowling on a slow pitch.

If Lyth and Ballance bat the first hour of the afternoon, the rest of the Test will be a stroll.

Come on, this won't happen. One of Lyth or Ballance will be out to Starc soon enough, then they get the third wicket of Bell for free so 30-3ish. But I will temper that with the optimism our strong 5-8 will bail us out yet again and it will all be ok

VTR

Posts : 3921
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by alfie Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Excellent first session for England , marred slightly by the loss of Chef just before the end.

Bowling was terrific. They have got more out of the pitch than the vaunted Aussie attack so far. Getting Australia out for 308 must have been as good as one could have hoped overnight - or better. Though I recall Duty called it nearly exactly clap

Now we just need a solid batting session please...

alfie

Posts : 14096
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by hampo17 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Balance gone. He seems to have developed some bad habits with the bat which really need sorting.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9099
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by seanmichaels Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
dummy_half wrote:
Interesting comment about Ponting as a commentator - I actually quite like McGrath on TMS, seems to understand that it's light-hearted banter.

I got a response from him yesterday when he was fielding questions.

Please tell me the question was " should Warne have been made skipper?"

No, I asked him if he fancied a game tomorrow.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Posts : 13330
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Virgin

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:48 pm

Second umpires call saving Lyth from lbw, seems to have caught the Watsons


And Ballance goes as I type. Jeepers. Hazelwoods a good crack isnt he.

Gooseberry

Posts : 8042
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by kingraf Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 pm

Reckon he's the best of the bunch, Goosey
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16161
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 26
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by VTR Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:51 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Second umpires call saving Lyth from lbw, seems to have caught the Watsons


And Ballance goes as I type. Jeepers. Hazelwoods a good crack isnt he.

Its alright, the warm-up acts will be out soon enough before our better players come in. We do need to sort out the top order though, it is pretty dire and I don't see how Lyth looks any better than Compton or Robson. In fact he looks far worse

VTR

Posts : 3921
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Fine Leg

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by alfie Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:51 pm

VTR wrote:
Duty281 wrote:England's success for the rest of the day relies upon seeing off the next 7-8 overs, waiting for the ball to lose its hardness and pace, and then capitalising on the poor, desperate Australian bowling on a slow pitch.

If Lyth and Ballance bat the first hour of the afternoon, the rest of the Test will be a stroll.

Come on, this won't happen. One of Lyth or Ballance will be out to Starc soon enough, then they get the third wicket of Bell for free so 30-3ish. But I will temper that with the optimism our strong 5-8 will bail us out yet again and it will all be ok

Stop it , both of you !

England don't do " stroll".

We all know this will be a Test Match . In every sense.

Advantage England still . But Australia are coming hard right now and they will need to battle it out.

Lyth could do with some runs at Lord's ; although he isn't going to be jettisoned on a knee jerk.

alfie

Posts : 14096
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:52 pm

dummy_half wrote:Well, a morning that could barely have gone any better for England - Cook's dismissal being the only blemish.

As I put earlier, I was hoping we'd get through the Aussies for a lead of between 50 and 75, so skittling them for just over 300 was a big positive. From the looks of things today, a lead of 120 + will be significantly valuable come the end of the match, as batting conditions look to be rather more difficult than yesterday especially against the new ball.

I said earlier that I made it 60/40 England for both of the first two days. This morning was more like 90/10 in England's favour. We're definitely well ahead at the moment, although as others have mentioned, it would only take a magic spell from either of the Mitchell's to turn the game on its head.

MfC

Interesting comment about Ponting as a commentator - I actually quite like McGrath on TMS, seems to understand that it's light-hearted banter.
As an aside, have you been following the tennis? Andy Roddick has been a studio pundit for the last couple of days and has been excellent - astute, affable and quite self-effacing.

Yes, we are definitely well ahead but not so far that Australia can't turn it round. Vital session.

And just as I type that - Ballance falls to Hazlewood!

Not surprised that Ponting is impressing on commentary. He finished his first class career with Surrey. Alec Stewart and others at the Oval have commented more than once at members' forums etc how insightful and influential he was. I'm not a great tennis follower but was immediately taken this week with Roddick for the reasons that Dummy says.

guildfordbat

Posts : 14364
Join date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Duty281 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Well now it's tricky! Wink

Duty281

Posts : 24132
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 25
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:03 am

Aussies bowling nicely here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Posts : 48259
Join date : 2011-09-19
Age : 25
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia - Test 1, Cardiff 8th - 12th July

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum