The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July

+26
Ozzy3213
GunsGerms
fa0019
brennomac
kingraf
Fanster
eirebilly
GLove39
Rory_Gallagher
formerly known as Sam
Artful_Dodger
yappysnap
dallym
chewed_mintie
No 7&1/2
ebop
blackcanelion
hugehandoff
aucklandlaurie
doctor_grey
emack2
bluestonevedder
rodders
Sgt_Pooly
LondonTiger
George Carlin
30 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July Empty TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July

Post by George Carlin Tue 21 Jul 2015, 1:59 pm

TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July Spring11            TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July Nz_pro13
SOUTH AFRICA v NEW ZEALAND
25 July 2015
KO: 17:05 SAST (UTC+02)
Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg

TV TBC

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant Referees: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Recent History

4 October 2014
Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg
27 – 25 to South Africa

13 September 2014
Westpac Stadium, Wellington
14 – 10 to New Zealand

5 October 2013
Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg
27 – 38 to New Zealand

14 September 2013
Eden Park, Auckland
29 – 15 to New Zealand

6 October 2012
FNB Stadium, Johannesburg
16 – 32 to New Zealand

B. Squads

1. South Africa

Forwards: Willem Alberts, Schalk Brits, Schalk Burger, Marcell Coetzee, Eben Etzebeth, Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Frans Malherbe, Victor Matfield, Heinke van der Merwe, Marcel van der Merwe, Teboho 'Oupa' Mohoje, Francois Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira, Scarra Ntubeni, Trevor Nyakane, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Warren Whiteley

Backs: Damian de Allende, Bryan Habana, Cornal Hendricks, Elton Jantjies, Zane Kirchner, Faf de Klerk, Jesse Kriel, Lwazi Mvovo, Rudy Paige, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Handre Pollard, Willie le Roux, Morne Steyn

Conditioning squad (injured players)

Heinrich Brussow, Jaque Fourie, Lood de Jager, Patrick Lambie, Lionel Mapoe, Coenie Oosthuizen, Fourie du Preez, Cobus Reinach, Jan Serfontein, Francois Steyn, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Duane Vermeulen, Jean de Villiers

2. New Zealand

Backs: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Charles Piutau, Cory Jane, Waisake Naholo, Julian Savea, Conrad Smith, Malakai Fekitoa, Ryan Crotty, Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Dan Carter, Beauden Barrett, Colin Slade, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Tawera Kerr-Barlow.

Forwards: Kieran Read, Victor Vito, Richie McCaw (capt), Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Liam Messam, Matt Todd, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Jeremy Thrush, Luke Romano, James Broadhurst, Owen Franks, Charlie Faumuina, Tony Woodcock, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Joe Moody, Dane Coles, Keven Mealamu, Codie Taylor, Hika Elliot.

C. Teams

1. South Africa
TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July Charli11
Willie le Roux, Cornal Hendricks, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Bryan Habana, Handre Pollard, Ruan Pienaar, Schalk Burger (captain), Francois Louw, Heinrich Brussow, Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Vincent Koch, Flip van der Merwe, Warren Whiteley, Cobus Reinach, Pat Lambie, Lionel Mapoe.

2. New Zealand
TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July Lucy_l10
Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Charles Piutau, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, James Broadhurst, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Sam Whitelock, Victor Vito, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett and Malakai Fekitoa.

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July Empty Re: TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July

Post by George Carlin Tue 21 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

News update as of today (there may be others, of course):
- Cory Jane seems likely to be called up to replace Waisake Naholo
- Dan Carter and Sonny Bill Williams have been left at home
- Flip van der Merwe has been called into the Sprinbok squad as Victor Matfield and Marcell Coetzee may well be broken
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July Empty Re: TRC Round 2: South Africa v New Zealand, 25 July

Post by LondonTiger Tue 21 Jul 2015, 2:59 pm

Sod the rugby. That's the best pic you could find of Xena?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 22 Jul 2015, 7:55 am

LondonTiger wrote:Sod the rugby. That's the best pic you could find of Xena?
On the basis that I have to do this from work, it's certainly the best one that got through our firewall.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 22 Jul 2015, 9:16 am

Brussow to start?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jul 2015, 10:44 am

Will both teams go all out for the win here or keep some cards close to their chests - maybe leave a few big guns out of the xv?

Both will see each other as their main RWC rivals along with England so won't want to give any psychological edge I would think....

That said SA could be doing with the win here after last week...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 22 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

Pretty excited to see Brussow back in the line up.

Him and Louw against Hooper and Pocock is potentially an absolute spectacle!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 22 Jul 2015, 3:06 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Pretty excited to see Brussow back in the line up.

Him and Louw against Hooper and Pocock is potentially an absolute spectacle!

Pity SA are playing New Zealand Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 22 Jul 2015, 10:39 pm

All teams are using warm up games to try things,if Hansen was serious about this game.
Carter and SBW would be in the squad not resting at home,at Ellis park,on the high veldt.
Versus a hurting Bokside a goal kicker is a must so Slade will be on the park full 80 somewhere.Barrett at 10 without a goalkicker game lost the Bok backrow picked will
look to rule the breakdown area.There backs will probably try a mobile game but it will
come down to discipline,penalties and cards.A probable Bok win in a close game.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 23 Jul 2015, 2:01 am

George Carlin wrote:
On the basis that I have to do this from work, it's certainly the best one that got through our firewall.
That was Xena? In her prime she could...............
Who's the blondie?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:04 am

doctor_grey wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
That was Xena?  In her prime she could...............
Who's the blondie?
South African team rep, Doc - so it can only be Charlize Theron.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 23 Jul 2015, 8:44 am

Should be a great game, but for the ABs to win they have to play not only better than South Africa but better than they have for the last year.

Two new All Blacks this week, Sopoaga makes his test debut outside his Highlanders team mate Aaron Smith, and James Broadhurst makes his debut at lock, this is the guy that Brad Thorn told Shag that he had to watch.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 23 Jul 2015, 9:25 am

Lima Sopoaga will make his test debut against the Springboks at Ellis Park, one of the most intimidating arenas in world rugby, and the new All Blacks No10 admits he's already nervous.

"It doesn't get much bigger, does it? [I played in] the Super Rugby final two weeks ago in front of my family and friends, but to be able to carry out your dream at a park that holds so much history - for the All Blacks against South Africa - it couldn't be a better script.

Asked about his feelings, he said: "I've never been in the cauldron of test match footy so I'll find out all about it on Saturday.

"I roomed with Dan Carter last week and even he said he was nervous going into the Argentina game. He said 'if you're nervous you're alive and it means you really want it'.

I'd be lying if I stood here and said I wasn't nervous. I definitely am but I think it's a good thing."

The selection of 24-year-old Sopoaga following his standout season with the Highlanders must be considered one of Steve Hansen's boldest decisions in his four years as All Blacks head coach.

Hurricanes lock James Broadhurst will also make his test debut when he partners Brodie Retallick in the second row, but it is Sopoaga's selection ahead of Beauden Barrett and Colin Slade which will grab the most attention with only two tests against Australia remaining until the start of the World Cup.
Lima Sopoaga during a New Zealand All Blacks training session on July 15, 2015 in Christchurch, New Zealand. Photo / Getty Images. Lima Sopoaga during a New Zealand All Blacks training session on July 15, 2015 in Christchurch, New Zealand. Photo / Getty Images.

Hansen, who left Dan Carter in New Zealand after his starts against Manu Samoa and Argentina, said he wanted to find out more about Broadhurst and Sopoaga and that the Boks' Johannesburg fortress was as good a place as any to do it.

"We've got to learn how they cope with pressure and you don't get too many occasions bigger than this one so we'll get some answers," he said.

Hansen said of Sopoaga: "He's impressed us how quick he's come in and picked things up. He's asked some good questions ... he only needs to be told something once and he picks it up.

"The group has come together really quickly since Samoa when we've had everyone available. There's a good culture within the group of helping one another - even the other five-eighths, Dan, who's not here, Beauden and Sladey - they're right there beside him the whole way and getting him up to speed."

Sopoaga, who directed the Highlanders to their maiden Super Rugby title this year, paid credit to coaches Jamie Joseph and Tony Brown for his quick elevation.

"They said they wanted the flash out and the consistency in," he said. "That was a big thing for me. I quite enjoy doing the fancy stuff but the fancy stuff won't get me to the next level. All year I just tried to the basics really really well and execute as best as I could."

Dane Coles will start at hooker in his first test of the year in place of Keven Mealamu, with blindside flanker Liam Messam replacing Jerome Kaino.

Backs Aaron Smith, Conrad Smith and Ben Smith are all included for the first time this year. Left wing Julian Savea, who suffered an asthma attack at training, has not been included.

Hansen paid credit to 27-year-old Broadhurst's development when he said: "He's a big lump of a guy - he's about 122kg but he's very athletic. He's got some good skillsets. The question mark around him when he was younger was 'is he physical enough?'. And in the last 12 to 18 months he's showed that he is. He's had a very big influence of the Hurricanes, especially this season."

#
All Blacks team to play South Africa at Ellis Park on Sunday, kick-off 3.05am NZT, is: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Charles Piutau, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, James Broadhurst, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Sam Whitelock, Victor Vito, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett and Malakai Fekitoa.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 23 Jul 2015, 9:29 am

The Springbok squad to face New Zealand in Johannesburg on Saturday for the 90th time shows eight changes after the defeat against Australia in the condensed Rugby Championship.

Heinrich Brüssow will make his first start for the Springboks since the 2011 Rugby World Cup, while Vincent Koch has been included on the bench for what could be his Test debut for South Africa.

Of the eight changes, three are to the pack and five are on the bench. The backline is unchanged. Schalk Burger will captain the team from No 8.

Francois Louw will start in the number seven jersey for the injured Marcell Coetzee in a positional change, with Brüssow assuming the open-side role.

The only other change to the starting line-up is at lock, where Lood de Jager takes over from Victor Matfield.

On the bench, Koch will be joined by Cornal Hendricks, Trevor Nyakane, Flip van der Merwe and Warren Whiteley, who could make his first Test appearance in South Africa in front of his home crowd.

“Injuries have forced our hand a bit, but we’ve stuck with our planned rotational policy on the bench and it will be great to see what Heinrich, Vincent and Flip can do,” said Meyer.

“The breakdown battle will again be huge and it will be good to see Heinrich and Francois play together. They are versatile players and I am convinced they will combine perfectly.

“Heinrich has been great this season before he got injured and played his way into contention. As with other players returning from injury in Vodacom Super Rugby, he deserves an opportunity.

“We decided it was better to start with him and use Warren as an impact player later in the match.

“It’s also great to see Flip back in the fold. We had a look at Pieter-Steph du Toit but he is not yet 100 percent match-ready, and Franco Mostert was also discussed, but in the end we decided to go with Flip as he will add valuable experience to our bench.

“We planned to bring Trevor, Warren and Cornal back for this match. Trevor and Warren have been playing great rugby this season and Cornal is a superb finisher, as he’s shown so often last year.”

Meyer said that the Springboks faced a huge challenge on Saturday as they continue to build towards the Rugby World Cup against a fired-up Kiwi side.

“This will be a massive Test – every match against the All Blacks is,” said Meyer.

“We played some great rugby last weekend, but this week we have to put in an 80-minute effort. We have to be especially focused in the last 10 minutes, because New Zealand always finish strongly.

“They travelled here with us so that negates any advantage we could’ve had at the end of the match.

“The challenge will also be to make a step up in vital areas of the game and get back on the winning track.

“By not making too many changes this week, we’re giving some combinations the opportunity to settle a bit more. Our youngsters will have to put up their hands on Saturday – I would not have selected them if I didn’t believe they can do the job.”

Springbok team

Willie le Roux, JP Pietersen, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Bryan Habana, Handre Pollard, Ruan Pienaar, Schalk Burger (captain), Heinrich Brüssow, Francois Louw, Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Vincent Koch, Flip van der Merwe, Warren Whiteley, Cobus Reinach, Pat Lambie, Cornal Hendricks.

But JP Pietersen is now out.

Experienced wing JP Pietersen has been forced out of Saturday’s crunch Rugby Championship fixture against New Zealand with a strained hamstring and will be replaced by Cornal Hendricks.

Pietersen pulled up at today’s training session after coach Heyneke Meyer had announced his team for the must-win clash at Ellis Park.

With Hendricks moving off the bench and into the starting line-up, uncapped utility back Lionel Mapoe has been named among the replacements.

“It’s a huge setback to lose JP for a big match such as this one as he has been in good form and brings valuable experience to our backline, but Cornal played against the All Blacks last year, scored a brilliant try in Wellington and is raring to go,” Meyer said.

“Lionel was not available for selection because of injury when we got together as a squad a few weeks ago and Jesse Kriel grabbed his opportunity with both hands. That is why I am delighted that Lionel is now getting his chance.

“We had a number of options on the bench, but decided on Lionel as he covers wing and outside centre, which is what we had in JP.”

The Springboks must win on Saturday to retain a chance of winning this year’s shortened Rugby Championship.

Springbok team

Willie le Roux, Cornal Hendricks, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Bryan Habana, Handre Pollard, Ruan Pienaar, Schalk Burger (captain), Francois Louw, Heinrich Brussow, Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Vincent Koch, Flip van der Merwe, Warren Whiteley, Cobus Reinach, Pat Lambie, Lionel Mapoe.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 24 Jul 2015, 1:54 am

George Carlin wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Who's the blondie?
Really?  She is a cutie.  I wonder what she makes for breakfast.

Looking at this match, I am not really a fan of Sopoaga.  I didn't see too many Highlanders matches this year, but in the past I always thought him inconsistent.  Maybe his selection is to prevent any more wear and tear to the other out halves in the AB team?    Since this Rugby Championship is also prep for the World Cup, it seems to me to have a slightly different dynamic than in other years.  Hard to pin point, but seems a bit different.  Am I nuts?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 24 Jul 2015, 2:11 am

doctor_grey wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Who's the blondie?
Really?  She is a cutie.  I wonder what she makes for breakfast.

Looking at this match, I am not really a fan of Sopoaga.  I didn't see too many Highlanders matches this year, but in the past I always thought him inconsistent.  Maybe his selection is to prevent any more wear and tear to the other out halves in the AB team?    Since this Rugby Championship is also prep for the World Cup, it seems to me to have a slightly different dynamic than in other years.  Hard to pin point, but seems a bit different.  Am I nuts?

Dr. I think he's actually seen as a genuine contender. He's been more consistent this year. I think Tony Brown has done a fair amount of work with him. I also think there are question marks over both Slade and Barrett. I'm not sure whether Barrett in particular is seen as 1st choice starter. I think there is a need for depth as well. Last two world cups we've suffered injuries to no 10 in the world cup.

I think all the teams are using this tournament as a build up to the world cup. The timing of the world cup gives them no choice. I think that Hansen and co have a delicate balancing act. They have to develop depth, conditioning and team cohesion to peak at the world cup, whilst still being expected by the NZ public to win every game. I expect most of the reserves to get a decent run on Saturday as well. I think this is the core of a good side with enough experimentation to hopefully get the job done.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 8:12 am

This is 2011 all over again ,SA at Ellis park under normal circumstances Bok win to be expected.Precedents set by Mitchell,The gang of Three,Jake White,and De Villiers in
ceding 3/4Ns title in a hope of a RWC still apply.
Steady Eddies like Tom Taylor and Ryan Crotty won`t make the squad,Carter they are
doing everything possible to get him to RWC fit.
Barrett is under a fitness cloud and is seen as a super sub,Slade?since his injury problems
was responsible for rise in Highlanders fortunes before rejoining Crusaders.
Is a World class 10 and Goalkick plus a great utility player and should start at least one
match pre RWC.
Given no 3/4Ns winner has won a RWC in the same year it is being devalued which for
me is a capital offence.
Australia will be the winners this year as can`t see this AB side winning at Ellis Park.
Having said that Ab`s have the stronger bench and Vito for Read at 8 ,Read reverting
to his old 6 position would be interesting.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Fri 24 Jul 2015, 8:19 am

Tongue in cheek, I think the Boks and ABs will be falling over themselves to lose the game. With that in mind, I'm expecting a loosey goosey game. Hope the skills are up to it.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 8:23 am

It's one of NZs main strengths to bring through players and a skill to do it at the correct time. Not sure the Championship is devalued in any way as there'll always be tinkering to some extent.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 24 Jul 2015, 10:27 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Not sure the Championship is devalued in any way as there'll always be tinkering to some extent.

check the pants team SA put out here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Tri_Nations_Series#Week_5

and here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tri_Nations_Series#New_Zealand_vs_South_Africa.2C_Wellington

and now tell me the Championship (or 3N's) isn't devalued....

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 10:33 am

It isn't devalued. No international rugby is.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 24 Jul 2015, 9:44 pm

It depends on your point of view NZ v SA is the biggest match in Rugby anywhere,strongest
possible teams being fielded.
I do not dispute the fact both sides will be playing to win BUT what of those punters who
bet on matches/tournaments.?
Sopaga starting at 10 is the biggest leap of faith in the PRO ERA for an All Black side.
Developing is one thing but starting a bolter at Ellis Park versus the Boks is a huge ask.
SA playing two 7`s to cut the edge off Aaron Smiths combo with him,who gets carded
first Bismarck or Messam?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Sat 25 Jul 2015, 10:18 am

can't wait for this. ABs are mostly first choice players (11 of the starting 15) so we're taking it seriously whilst protecting a couple for the Cup.

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 25 Jul 2015, 10:38 am

Looking forward to this game!

As a neutral I want SA to win as it's always enjoyable to see NZ lose, and because I feel a little bad for the South African players after they were robbed at the death last week.

Meyer needs to atop his subs for the sake of subs policy though and hope he gets less injuries.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:02 pm

Got a few pound on Ulster bound Piutau to score the first try. Looking forward to this Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:15 pm

Annoying when commentators don t know the rules then criticise the ref for correct calls!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:22 pm

But I agree about the tackle, I don't think it should have been a penalty. That try seemed to be coming since the penalty. Simply over-powered the ABs.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:22 pm

I take it you are listening to SA commentators as well No 7&1/2??

Great try from SA, they are looking to attack with ball in hand at every opportunity.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:25 pm

I think most of us have the SA announcers.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:27 pm

Sky Sports don t think Ihave a choice. Never going to criticise Stuart Barnes again. Not spoiling a good game though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:30 pm

How's Brussow shaping up?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:32 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:How's Brussow shaping up?

New Zealand having incredibly little possession, but hard to determine how much of that is Brussouw. Just made a massive fend in a promising SA attack.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:38 pm

New Zealand's game plan is naive. Kicking long and aimlessly with a needlessly high tempo style. So many errors and giving the Boks the ball. Ulster fans will be feeling underwhelmed with Piatau but at least Pienaar is playing well.

The Bok midfield is quite exceptional at the minute and with Meyer selecting an obviously abrasive pack they are upsetting the ABs and kicking far better.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:New Zealand's game plan is naive. Kicking long and aimlessly with a needlessly high tempo style. So many errors and giving the Boks the ball. Ulster fans will be feeling underwhelmed with Piatau but at least Pienaar is playing well.

The Bok midfield is quite exceptional at the minute and with Meyer selecting an obviously abrasive pack they are upsetting the ABs and kicking far better.

Piutau has made one mistake, and there no position worse than winger when your team has this little possession. The kick he just made makes up for the mistake as well Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:46 pm

It was a nice clearance kick but a couple of passes to no one, walking it into touch when making the catch with an overlap beckoning. Not great. That step and go from his half was nice though, bit more of that and the game will open up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:46 pm

Great counter from Piutau, gliding through gaps. Not that I have a vested interest in him playing well or anything Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:50 pm

Great steal from a Mr.Charles Piutau, cmon Charles!!

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:54 pm

So this is what South Africa look like when their backline matches the strength of their pack. Unstoppable. Biltong will be enjoying this.

Just as I write this, New Zealand score. Typical.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:55 pm

Piatau has massive potential above his current ability. Tends to deliver in flashes and drift in and out of games. If Ulster can cane that you'll be smiling a lot Artful. His rumoured six month stint at Wasps may well help with that.

Damien de Allende is sensational this evening. Just seems to be able to drift through tackles.

McCaw steals at the breakdown and NZ score a break away try. Not seen that before.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:55 pm

Woah. That try just sums up the All Blacks, no possession, but any hint of a break at they come away with points. South Africa will feel robbed to go in 10-10 at half time.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:57 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Woah.  That try just sums up the All Blacks, no possession, but any hint of a break at they come away with points.  South Africa will feel robbed to go in 10-10 at half time.

indeed, classic AB's sucker punch. Dominate them all half, but only go in level.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:58 pm

It De Allende could offload he'd be very hard to stop

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Jul 2015, 4:59 pm

What a half of rugby. De Allende and the Du Plessis boys are playing some exceptional rugby. Bring the game to the AB's and getting the better of them (last try excluded as that was proper counter attacking rugby from the AB's).
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:04 pm

Good first half, SA back row have been superb, and NZ have decided to stay with few numbers at the breakdwon and trust their D, which you have to say has worked so far!

Piutau has looked average, but he hasnt had much to do, I think Dagg is the issue back there and is looking ropy for NZ.

Also is it me or has Smith and Nonu spent more time on their rumps than on their feet? Deallande has blown Nonu out of the water!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:14 pm

Le Roux and Habana both looked at the other to claim the chip through and allowed Piatau to rescue the ABs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:15 pm

That's a great angle from Kriel. Nonu and Smith won't want to see the replay of that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

Dan Coles Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:22 pm

Nonu had to get sacked off after that, Le Roux did not want to match Coles there

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:22 pm

I'm not sure hookers are allowed to be that quick.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:26 pm

De Jager has been sensational tonight. The South African Ian Henderson.. Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next