The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing Senior golf without playing on regular tour?

+2
super_realist
I'm never wrong
6 posters

Go down

Playing Senior golf without playing on regular tour? Empty Playing Senior golf without playing on regular tour?

Post by I'm never wrong Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 pm

There was an article in my paper today about Shane Warne (Australian cricketer for those not in the know) who caddied yesterday - and maybe for the rest of the tournament - for his friend Peter O'Malley.
He stated that he was learning all about tournament golf as he wants to become a professional golfer on the Senior/Champions tour.
I thought a person who wanted to play on these tours needed to have some history of playing on the regular tour to enable them to do this?

Does this mean that anyone who is good enough can do it?

(Apparently Warne scored a 71 in a round of the Dunhill Links).

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Playing Senior golf without playing on regular tour? Empty Re: Playing Senior golf without playing on regular tour?

Post by super_realist Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Didn't Gary Wolstenholme turn pro before joining the Seniors?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Playing Senior golf without playing on regular tour? Empty Re: Playing Senior golf without playing on regular tour?

Post by I'm never wrong Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:03 pm

I think he must've have done. But then he would have had some history of playing in professional tournaments and would have had invitations etc, so there is some "previous" there. I'm talking about Joe Bloggs who has never played professional golf going straight the the Senior Tour.

(If the Senior tour has a Q-School or similar and Warne goes in for that, fine. But to get to play just because he was a good cricketer seems a bit curtis strange.)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:07 pm

I know of Amateur players who have played in British Seniors Open, so sure it can be done.

I'd doubt Warne was good enough though

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:07 pm

I think as long as you can get through Q School, you are OK - but I may be wrong INW!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:54 am

Q school, or qualifying comps for events like current Snrs Open. I think in fairness to Shane W, it was put to him that he was thinking of it, but his reply was along the lines of "sure I'd love to, but doubt I'm good enough"

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 am

There are plenty of golfers who have been successful in Senior Golf in the States, but not many (Jay Sigel, Allan Doyle, even John Harris to some extent) have never been a Pro at some level.

Shane Warne had better be pfgood or he's wasting his time.

Only sporting golfers to enjoy Senior success that I can think of are John Brodie, and to a much lesser degree, Rick Rhoden and a Yankees pitcher called Ralph Terry.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:39 am

kwinigolfer wrote:There are plenty of golfers who have been successful in Senior Golf in the States, but not many (Jay Sigel, Allan Doyle, even John Harris to some extent) have never been a Pro at some level.

Shane Warne had better be pfgood or he's wasting his time.

Only sporting golfers to enjoy Senior success that I can think of are John Brodie, and to a much lesser degree, Rick Rhoden and a Yankees pitcher called Ralph Terry.

Yep, Hall of Fame Catcher Johnny Bench failed miserably.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jon Smoltz, Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux give the Senior Tour a token try when they turn 50.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down