The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

+33
Mad for Chelsea
SimonofSurrey
temporary21
dummy_half
jbeadlesbigrighthand
ShahenshahG
trebellbobaggins
TightHEAD
AlciG
hampo17
Dolphin Ziggler
GSC
king_carlos
Gooseberry
liverbnz
LuvSports!
Soldier_Of_Fortune
kingraf
msp83
Hoggy_Bear
Duty281
alfie
LivinginItaly
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbohammers
Fernando
seanmichaels
NickisBHAFC
VTR
CaledonianCraig
KP_fan
sirfredperry
Pal Joey
37 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston - Page 8 Empty England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Jul 2015, 10:41 am

First topic message reminder :

England:
A Lyth, AN Cook*, IR Bell, JE Root, JM Bairstow, BA Stokes, JC Buttler†, MM Ali, SCJ Broad, JM Anderson, ST Finn

Australia:
CJL Rogers, DA Warner, SPD Smith, MJ Clarke*, AC Voges, MR Marsh, PM Nevill†, MG Johnson, MA Starc, JR Hazlewood, NM Lyon

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 11:54 am

The problem for England is Aussie have the runs now, I could see eng all out for 50 again.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston - Page 8 Empty Re: England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

Post by VTR Fri 31 Jul 2015, 11:56 am

Finn could get 8 here

When was the last England 8-for? Devon Malcolm (which was 9)? Last 7-for is Harmison I think??

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 11:58 am

Few names being thrown around. None of them strike me as an adequate replacement for Anderson ; but one does the best one can. Just have to hope Finn keeps up the good work...and maybe Stokes can step up. I think they'll pick Wood.

How long will these two be bowling , I wonder ? Because when they have to come off , Starc might really fancy his chances...

Ah ...Moeen.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 11:59 am

liverbnz wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Sidebottom would be a huge risk for a 5 day game, he struggled with fitness before he retired. Rikki Clarke has taken 12 more wickets than him this season so far.

Sidebottom has played less than half the matches Clarke has. He also has to compete for wickets with the best attack on the county circuit. Brooks (48), Patterson (34), Bresnan (28). I appreciate Clarke is competing with a good attack also, but he doesn't have the international experience of Sidebottom (and at his old stomping ground).

Injuries and fitness issues are obviously important as you say though.

Yeah I think the point really was that although he has a decent avergae is based on playing a handfull of games (presumably because hes not seen as good/fit enough to play them all?). Wood has a county average of something ridiculous like 12 this year (1 game?) The county scene is only marginally relevant.
Oveton, Rushworth, Brooks, Footit, that other guy who did well in the ODIs and Geoff Boycotts Nan are more likely candidates (she could also replace Lyth as an opener).

In other news: Finns career strike rate is absurd. Fair play, I was a doubter regarding his return but hes certainly back.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

Exactly Alfie. I reckon eng will be chasing 200 at least with one of the Mitchell clan still dominating the match. They never get out.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

VTR wrote:Finn could get 8 here

When was the last England 8-for? Devon Malcolm (which was 9)? Last 7-for is Harmison I think??

Makes a change ...we are used to hearing "England 8 for 2 " or similar

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:01 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:The Aussies went into childlike howls of outrage on the last tour when Stuart Borad famously didn't walk after they had already wasted both their appeals. In the spirit of fair play, I wonder if they will condemn as vigourously Nevile for not waklking at least twice before he finally was undone today by HotSpot - having not walked again.

I'm not holding my breath.  
there is diffrence between not walking on a feather outside snick or an always doubtful tickle dow the leg side

VS.

A THICK OUTSIDE EDGE CAUGHT AT 3RD SLIP Shocked
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:02 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:Exactly Alfie.  I reckon eng will be chasing 200 at least with one of the Mitchell clan still dominating the match.  They never get out.

So you reckon this is going into Saturday , trebs ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm

Think sidebottoms 7 for in NZ was after Harmi's

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm

alfie wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:Exactly Alfie.  I reckon eng will be chasing 200 at least with one of the Mitchell clan still dominating the match.  They never get out.

So you reckon this is going into Saturday , trebs ?

Aussie to bowl England out for less than 50 by tomorrow morning after getting a 280 lead Alfie.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:05 pm

KP_fan wrote:
SimonofSurrey wrote:The Aussies went into childlike howls of outrage on the last tour when Stuart Borad famously didn't walk after they had already wasted both their appeals. In the spirit of fair play, I wonder if they will condemn as vigourously Nevile for not waklking at least twice before he finally was undone today by HotSpot - having not walked again.

there is diffrence between not walking on a feather outside snick or an always doubtful tickle dow the leg side

VS.

No there isn't - both are out! Anyway, what about Clarke's thick edge off the bowling off KP? He didn't walk then!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:05 pm

KP_fan wrote:

VS.

Why,if you know you've hit it?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm

Gooseberry wrote:

Think sidebottoms 7 for in NZ was after Harmi's

Oof, well remembered that man! I am off to statsguru to look these up (before Moeen takes 2 in 2 to make it irrelevant)

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:07 pm

KP_fan wrote:

VS.

A big difference : in calling for a review in hopes of getting away with it when you must know you've hit it ; versus not doing the umpire's job for him by walking ?

And who was caught at third slip ? Broad edged to the keeper , who parried it to slip...

Not a big deal. Most players don't walk.

Simon's - very sound - point was surely that righteous indignation is a bit selective...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:08 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

VS.

You can pretend....but will then get condemned like Broad did Shocked
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:12 pm

Broad actually last 7-for vs NZ in 2013.

Last 8 for is Gus Fraser away to Windies in 1998

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:14 pm

Th are already missing Anderson so badly. That's going to be magnified at Trent bridge.

Such a shame just as they looked like they might compete.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:16 pm

Back to this game : all spin now ? Have to say England have made heavy weather of this ; and I have severe doubts as to their capacity to bowl Australia out without Anderson.
Next match , I mean...they'll get these two wickets eventually today.

But they may be chasing a few more than they wanted to ...

Fifty for Starc clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:16 pm

100 on and 2 wickets still in hand
next milestone for Aus will be 125

Eng have over attacked and in the process given easy runs.....and when you don't pick the wicket..it magnifies the lead quite quickly

Last edited by KP_fan on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:16 pm

If Australias lower order can be productive so can we.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:16 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

VS.

You mean will Lehamn have to apologise in person for calling him a cheat after someone produced footage of him doing the same thing?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:17 pm

Typical England. Do all the hard work then can't get the tail out. 2-1 Australia coming up, guaranteed.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:17 pm

Stokes takes Hazelwood. Aussies 9 down 100 ahead.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

Beautiful take by Root - Australia on the verge.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

Superb catch from Root one-handed and Stokes dismisses Haizlewood. Australia effectively 100 for 9.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

I'm taking credit for that wicket. Thanks thumbsup

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm

Why do I ever he my hopes up. Over 100 needed for such a wobbly line up. It's gone hasn't it?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

VS.

You mean will Lehamn have to apologise in person for calling him a cheat after someone produced footage of him doing the same thing?

lehman..cheat..apology "him" doing the same
who is him?
lehaman was the coach and not playing...what you talking about now
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm

As I was saying earlier Stokes is massively underatted as a bowler and a key memeber of englands attack Whistle

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm

Good catch Root clap
That was traveling !

Stokes breaks his wicket drought ...and nearly two in two...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:20 pm

GSC wrote:If Australias lower order can be productive so can we.

They are aren't they? Was a vital 8th wicket stand in this match

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

Starc may as well smash a few, rather than hang around with Lyon until the inevitable.

Swing for 150.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

Can't get an lbw for love or money...

Hope the umps are as conservative when England bat Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:27 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

VS.

lehman..cheat..apology "him" doing the same
who is him?
lehaman was the coach and not playing...what you talking about now

Lehamn called him a cheat in the post match conference, then apologised to him in person for doing it after it was pointed out he (and many of his team mates) had done exactly the same thing during their careers.

Broads "condemnation" was a result of manipulation partly led by the aussies and siezed on by self admitted haters such as yourself. The Aus players themselves admitted they wouldnt walk (Haddin excepted), it really was the inetrnet that shat a brick over it and thats more to do with it being Broad (the panto bad boy) than anything else

Its ridiculous that he still gets more stick for that than Warner ever did for punching Root, or Atherton for doctoring the ball, or Warne for just being a generally odious turd.

Perception is a thing for sure.

KP of course always walked (on water)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:32 pm

i have never see a batsman thick edge from almost the outer half of the bat to as wide as 3rd slip and then not walk....except Broad.

and then the other half of that story was DRS.....being used but the bowling side unable to invoke it because of ridiculous constrains imposed on the usage...even when there was this blatant catch visible to all

Last edited by KP_fan on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:32 pm

Moeen batted well ...but has been disappointing with the ball here. Lyon took wickets - admittedly with some help from over ambitious batting - but he hasn't really looked like taking a wicket .

Have to say it looks as if the conditions are pretty batsman friendly now. Whatever the final target , England surely should be OK chasing : unless their nerves undo them.

112 in front now... Getting close to the 120-130 the Aussies were hoping for last night.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:38 pm

120+ game on, nothing is guaranteed in sport and the way we have been batting we could still lose this.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:38 pm

commentators on TV and on this forum..already criticizing ali....his exploits with ball in the last two games already forgotten
I made the point he is under scanner every game
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:42 pm

I bet the likes of Fordyce are loving it, they were building eng up yesterday just so they could laugh when they throw it away today.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:45 pm

Ali entices Starc into driving up and is caught by the sub-fielder. England need 121 to win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:45 pm

50 runs too many.....Eng allowed them to get..but will win easily from here Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:47 pm

And 120 is it...

Moeen reacted to my sledging by taking the last wicket...so Broad's 300 will have to wait.

Six for Finn...and the sub gets his name in the book ...

Nervy chase coming ? Or victory lap ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:48 pm

Well there is it.

Enough to make it worth following the afternoon, and unless they bat like a T20 enough to keep the crowds off the roads when I set off home at 3:30
Good stuff.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:49 pm

2 overs to face before lunch, I bet they get a wicket
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm

Would be nice if Lyth finds his touch for this innings.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:54 pm

feels 50 too high with the Mitchell brothers sniffing blood,

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm

KP_fan wrote:commentators on TV and on this forum..already criticizing ali....his exploits with ball in the last two games already forgotten
I made the point he is under scanner every game

346-8 is exploits?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:59 pm

Lyth already doing his best to make it interesting

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 31 Jul 2015, 1:08 pm

My predictions looking good again, I said Aussies 275 ao before start of their innings.

I have stared into the tealeaves and I see a 7 wicket win, with Lyth making a 50

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 1:09 pm

why are eng finding it so hard to find a good opener?

are we finally seeing the impact of locking cricket behind pay tv in a country where it wasn't so popular anymore anyway? far less youth coming through?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next