The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

+33
Mad for Chelsea
SimonofSurrey
temporary21
dummy_half
jbeadlesbigrighthand
ShahenshahG
trebellbobaggins
TightHEAD
AlciG
hampo17
Dolphin Ziggler
GSC
king_carlos
Gooseberry
liverbnz
LuvSports!
Soldier_Of_Fortune
kingraf
msp83
Hoggy_Bear
Duty281
alfie
LivinginItaly
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbohammers
Fernando
seanmichaels
NickisBHAFC
VTR
CaledonianCraig
KP_fan
sirfredperry
Pal Joey
37 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston - Page 11 Empty England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Jul 2015, 10:41 am

First topic message reminder :

England:
A Lyth, AN Cook*, IR Bell, JE Root, JM Bairstow, BA Stokes, JC Buttler†, MM Ali, SCJ Broad, JM Anderson, ST Finn

Australia:
CJL Rogers, DA Warner, SPD Smith, MJ Clarke*, AC Voges, MR Marsh, PM Nevill†, MG Johnson, MA Starc, JR Hazlewood, NM Lyon

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston - Page 11 Empty Re: England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

Post by Steffan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:24 pm

VTR wrote:
Steffan wrote:
VTR wrote:
Steffan wrote:Gutted with the result. And even more the fact that the cricket is already over for the weekend. Oh well...I just hope that the Aussie boys sort it out for the fourth test and we get a decider

Can someone ban this clown again? Waits for the moment of victory to come trolling. Absolute b£ll£nd
I'm not trolling. I'm just disappointed that we lost. Well done to England though they played well and deserved their victory. Hardly a banning offence to cheer on the Aussies. I just wish that the game didn't finish so quick as I was looking forward to a weekend of cricket Smile

We? Australia and Wales out there is it? No
Ah I always become an honorary Aussie when the Ashes are on. Plus New South Wales is a part of Australia where one of my best mates is from. If it does go to 2 tests a piece the final test is gonna be mega. Hate to admit it but the way England are playing my money would be on them to win the next two tests

Steffan

Back to top Go down

England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston - Page 11 Empty Re: England v Australia: 3rd Test, Edgbaston

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:26 pm

alfie wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:amazing aussie decided to bat first on a swinging pitch against Anderson.. pretty dumb really from the kings of cricket.

Actually was more wobble seam than Swing on day one ...certainly wasn't a 136 all out pitch.  I think both these teams really prefer batting first , and will generally do so unless the pitch looks positively Evil .
I doubt we will see a green top at TB  remembering last year when both number elevens threatened to score centuries... Especially with Jimmy missing I reckon chef will be hoping to win the toss...

Bottom line : two matches to go - England win either of them and they take the Ashes...we'd all have taken that before Cardiff , eh ?

We would have Alfred, we sure would.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:27 pm

Steffan wrote:
VTR wrote:
Steffan wrote:
VTR wrote:
Steffan wrote:Gutted with the result. And even more the fact that the cricket is already over for the weekend. Oh well...I just hope that the Aussie boys sort it out for the fourth test and we get a decider

Can someone ban this clown again? Waits for the moment of victory to come trolling. Absolute b£ll£nd
I'm not trolling. I'm just disappointed that we lost. Well done to England though they played well and deserved their victory. Hardly a banning offence to cheer on the Aussies. I just wish that the game didn't finish so quick as I was looking forward to a weekend of cricket Smile

We? Australia and Wales out there is it? No
Ah I always become an honorary Aussie when the Ashes are on. Plus New South Wales is a part of Australia where one of my best mates is from. If it does go to 2 tests a piece the final test is gonna be mega. Hate to admit it but the way England are playing my money would be on them to win the next two tests

Half of my family are Kiwis and i'm Cornish not English but I still wouldn't support anyone else as that's where our boys would play if we were ever any good at it (rugby is where we are and do).

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:30 pm

Being an "anyone but" supporter = miserable existence. Especially at 34. Anyway, I await the descent of this argument into the usual drivel and another banning

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:35 pm

VTR wrote:Anyway, I await the descent of this argument into the usual drivel and another banning
Who's arguing and why would I be banned?

Anyway back the cricket...our decision to bat first was absolutely ridiculous on that pitch and was a pivotal factor. Well that and the fact that England were so much better as well but I can't admit that Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:37 pm

Steffan wrote:
VTR wrote:Anyway, I await the descent of this argument into the usual drivel and another banning
Who's arguing and why would I be banned?

Anyway back the cricket...our decision to bat first was absolutely ridiculous on that pitch and was a pivotal factor. Well that and the fact that England were so much better as well but I can't admit that Laugh

Our? Headscratch

And actually the decision to bat first was fine, the execution was absolutely bloody woeful.

Last edited by Duty281 on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:42 pm

Its now the Australia and Wales cricket board
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

Great win. On a more working note, no bigoted or xenophobic comments at the end of these last three tests please. This is a great forum and we don't need idiots bringing down the mood. It'll come with a more serious consequence next time.  Anyway downer over, who plays for Jimmy next test?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:59 pm

The pitch played fine but the Aussies batted woefully in the first innings and that cost them this test.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:02 pm

My mate in Melbourne is surprisingly still confident for the final two tests. After that first batting innings in this test I admire his optimism

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:10 pm

Anyone predicting after the first three results is brave or crazy.

But it does seem to me that Australia are relying very heavily on just three batsmen...the first three. Whereas England (despite the second innings at Lord's ) look a bit more resilient in their batting.
The big question is whether England have the bowling depth to handle the loss of Jimmy next week...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:10 pm

Adam Lyth was the one decent choice for the opening position ones they had Compton classed as Untrusted? but he's emerging into a big concern for England. He's young, he did score a test ton against a good attack, he had a fabulous county season last time. It isn't easy settling down to test cricket, particularly when the top order struggles as a rule. But Lyth need a score, and he need it like yesterday! Can't even complain if he's not picked for the next test. But the one thing in his favor is that there are no obvious replacements by the look of things. Perhaps they should swallow their stupid pride and knock at Compton's door. He wasn't the next best after Boycott, but he was the best available replacement for Andrew Strauss......
Bell scored runs in this test, but he doesn't have any credit left in the bank, so that he'll have to continue to perform. Buttler hasn't had a score yet but he does have some credit and is a special player in the making. Besides, Bairstow's keeping is suspect, and he didn't look technically good enough with the bat in his previous version as a test batsman, so asking to take up the wicketkeeping responsibilities would be too much to ask for at this stage.
Moeen Ali is not doing his job as England's led spinner as he neither takes enough wickets nor offers any control. But he is covering up with the bat as of now, and with their top order not best known for consistency, think they will continue with him. Rashid still is a viable option as he too can bat and he's a proper bowler, may not be the best possible option in terms of control, but he could present a greater wickettaking threat. But think his chance in the series came and went in the 2nd test.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:14 pm

Agree with much of that MSP. Questions remain, too some extent or another, over Lyth, Bell, Ali and Buttler.
Still, I can't see any change other than Wood for Anderson in the team for Trent Bridge.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

BTW, I hope we wouldn't have to talk about bans and the like whenever there is a minority opinion not to the liking of the majority. Think the touchy-feely stuff has gone up a bit in the last couple of months?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

Of course not. It's not my call anyway, we had trouble the end of last test with the comment far from just a minority opinion. Let's just avoid that this time

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:27 pm

msp83 wrote:BTW, I hope we wouldn't have to talk about bans and the like whenever there is a minority opinion not to the liking of the majority
Agreed. Just because someone is supporting a different team to the majority does not mean they have to have a pack mentality turned on them or get insulted like I did earlier

But anyway I have let that comment go and am just here to talk about cricket

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:28 pm

Losing Anderson is massive for England anywhere, even more so at TB where his record is spectacular....... The logical replacement option is Mark Wood provided he's fit. Would have liked to see Ryan Sidebottom as a one off, was a real favorite of mine during his international days....... but he retired from international cricket long back and wouldn't even be in the frame.
If they have to do anything radical, promote Ali to open and bring Rashid in! Would give the 2 spinner theorists some glee!!

Last edited by msp83 on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:28 pm

Steffan wrote:
msp83 wrote:BTW, I hope we wouldn't have to talk about bans and the like whenever there is a minority opinion not to the liking of the majority
Agreed. Just because someone is supporting a different team to the majority does not mean they have to have a pack mentality turned on them or get insulted like I did earlier

Yeah...try not to get banned for xenophobia this time, eh Steffan? thumbsup

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Will do Smile

So how do you think England will manage without Anderson then? While its a big loss I'm sure they will be fine

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm

Steffan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Will do Smile

So how do you think England will manage without Anderson then? While its a big loss I'm sure they will be fine

I think the England and Wales cricket team will do delightfully well, with the backing of all true English and Welsh folk accompanying them, and they should make it 3-1 in Nottingham. thumbsup

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:58 pm

I think England and Wales will miss Jimmy, there are probably no swing bowlers as good as him but I hope somebody who can use the conditions comes to the fore.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:02 pm

As a welshman and Glammy fan I always had big hopes for James Harris as the potential long term replacement for Anderson. He's also a more than handy batsmen. His form has been up and down this year, think he started well but just seems to have tailed off which is a shame. If Woakes is available i'd personally go for him as I think you need a traditional seam bowler like an Anderson, sort of horses for courses. Wood/Finn/Stokes doesn't fill me with great confidence if i'm honest but maybe i'm being too harsh on Wood who i'm sure will come straight back in.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:12 pm

Sorry but it goes totally against the grain for the selectors to throw in an untried player in such a pivotal test. It aint gonna happen. Wood will replace Anderson and about as adventurous as it will get for England is they may just may bring in somebody like Footit for squad experience but it would not surprise me at all if they opt for test experience of Plunkett or Woakes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:15 pm

Wood will be in fitness depending. If not then I'd hope Woakes.

Also wonder if Hales might come in for Lyth on his home strip
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:17 pm

The person who will actually replace Anderson is already in the team. I'm talking, of course, of Steven Finn. It is he who, in Jimmy's absence, will step up to become, with Broad, the 'leader(s)' of the attack. What we really are looking at, therefore, is a third seamer to compliment those two. Wood will probably be the man they turn to, but does he offer the control that Anderson gives the team? Perhaps Woakes could give that, but is he fit enough? Questions, questions.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:21 pm

Strange one with Lyth. Arguably no one out there in the county game who's been better over the last 2 years. Been thrown in the deep end against two sides who posses at least 2 top class fast bowlers. He's got a test hundred to his name but just looks terribly out of nick. I'd love to see Hales in, considering you have a right/left hander combination at the top of the order and also an attacking batsmen to compliment Cook's style of play. He scored well at the start of the year but has tailed off, however, its his home ground. Personally I think they will (and should imo) stick with Lyth for the rest of the series and reassess from there.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:53 pm

A good win for England. Did they learn a lesson? Seaming and swing friendly pitches make their bowling more potent.

Aus at least avoided a 5-0 white wash  Very Happy
Clarke should have retired after world cup and let Smith carry on the captaincy in tests as he so nicely started vs India.
Bancroft got a 150 playing for aus-a vs Ind-a and eye watchers report that he is a stand tall, organised back foot player....they need to bring in proper young Middle order batters.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 31 Jul 2015, 7:35 pm

What next for Australia? They need a win and a draw at least to retain the Ashes. The batting has been far too inconsistent with Chris Rogers being the only consistent performance. Clarke and Voges consistently failed as did the all-rounder at 6, whether it is Marsh or Watson. As I said, they should have considered James Faulkner. Much better bowler, and going by the current level of batting contributions, he's likely to do better in that department too. But they idn't go there so will have to live with it all. Michael Clarke never really fancied batting in the top 4, and he doesn't look a top 4 batsman to be honest. So to give himself a chance of scoring some runs, first thing he need to do is to move down. Voges at his age can't have the kind of string of failure that he has had, so unfortunately he'll have to go. So it is time for Mr Duck or Ton to make another test comeback! This time at 4.
If Clarke or anyone else had any issue with the non-selection of Haddin, it is time to move on as that would have meant a total disaster in this game as Haddin had looked finished as a test batsman some time ago and only confirmed the same in the first test.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 31 Jul 2015, 7:53 pm

Looking at various media reports it seems that it's thought to be between Wood, if the selectors want continuity, or Woakes, if a more like for like replacement is wanted.

One left field selection would be to give Bairstow the gloves, drop Buttler and select both Wood and Woakes.

1.Cook
2.Lyth
3.Bell
4.Root
5.Bairstow (wk)
6.Stokes
7.Ali
8.Woakes
9.Broad
10.Wood
11.Finn

Given that Buttler looks completely shot of confidence at test level and Stokes isn't bowling well enough currently it could theoretically give us a proper 4 man seam attack whilst not appreciably weakening the batting. I also don't really see the big difference in standard between Buttler and Bairstow's keeping which others seem to.

Personally I wouldn't go for the above as I don't like making too many changes during a series. I do tend to be fairly conservative in my thought processes regarding selection though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 01 Aug 2015, 5:13 am

Olly wrote:Wood will be in fitness depending. If not then I'd hope Woakes.

Also wonder if Hales might come in for Lyth on his home strip

Roughly my thoughts too. Of course I haven't been watching these other names thrown up by various posters (Rushworth , Brooks , Harris etc) so they may have points in their favour. But I think the selectors generally prefer a bit of continuity.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat 01 Aug 2015, 7:55 pm

So Wood is the almost certain replacement for Anderson, though Plunkett and Footit have both been included in the squad

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11