The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

+46
Kingshu
brennomac
clivemcl
St John The Enforcer
Geen sport voor watjes
Hazel Sapling
GoodinTightSpaces
LordDowlais
theslosty
eirebilly
JmD
VinceWLB
toml
the-goon
LondonTiger
LeinsterFan4life
wayne
profitius
Rory_Gallagher
neilthom7
The Great Aukster
Sin é
Don Alfonso
rodders
Marshes
Engine#4
marty2086
munkian
wolfball
Artful_Dodger
carpet baboon
geoff999rugby
GunsGerms
ME-109
George Carlin
PhilBB
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
SecretFly
Pete330v2
Chunky Norwich
Notch
Golden
asoreleftshoulder
whocares
thebandwagonsociety
50 posters

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17 - Page 15 Empty Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

Post by Sin é Wed 05 Aug 2015, 11:27 am

First topic message reminder :

What it says in the title - a place to put all bits of news not worth starting a thread for the Four Proud Provinces of Ireland such as new signings, interviews that maybe of interest to others etc.

I've just added on 17 as its not a huge thread.

Last edited by Sin é on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17 - Page 15 Empty Re: Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

Post by marty2086 Fri 13 May 2016, 4:00 pm

I thought the money was coming in because the IRFU essentially had a surplus?

Given them it now isn't going to do much good for next season since most players are contracted for the season

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17 - Page 15 Empty Re: Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2015-16-17

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 4:02 pm

Kingshu wrote:http://www.the42.ie/munster-provinces-cash-injection-philip-browne-2765938-May2016/

The42 understands the cash injection for each province will be in the region of €500,000 although Munster will need a far greater amount of funding as they look to get out of a dire financial situation.

It’s understood the total loss, which is still to be confirmed at Munster’s annual general meeting, is in excess of €2 million and the IRFU will now bail the province out to that sum as they look to rebound next season.

Asked directly if Fitzgerald’s position was now under threat, Browne did not deny that that was the case.

Think Fitzgerald has to go. The difficulties Munster are now facing was a long time in the making, and Fitzgerald must be held accountable. I feel bad for Foley because he is taking most of the flak for Fitzgeralds failings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 4:05 pm

marty2086 wrote:I thought the money was coming in because the IRFU essentially had a surplus?

Given them it now isn't going to do much good for next season since most players are contracted for the season

It will help Ulster after next season, once some contracts are up, or maybe even be put to good use in bringing in/replacing coaching staff.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 13 May 2016, 4:10 pm

Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:I thought the money was coming in because the IRFU essentially had a surplus?

It will help Ulster after next season, once some contracts are up, or maybe even be put to good use in bringing in/replacing coaching staff.

The indication is that its for next season, theres another injection to follow a year later too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 4:16 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

The indication is that its for next season, theres another injection to follow a year later too

I know, but it does allow us to plan. Maybe some of the other Provinces could use it for next season? Anyway, it would still be useful in helping buy in coaching staff.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 13 May 2016, 4:21 pm

Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

I know, but it does allow us to plan. Maybe some of the other Provinces could use it for next season? Anyway, it would still be useful in helping buy in coaching staff.

Or pay off some Fingers Crossed

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 4:22 pm

Well, that's my thinking. Let's hope Fingers Crossed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 13 May 2016, 4:30 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Kingshu wrote:http://www.the42.ie/munster-provinces-cash-injection-philip-browne-2765938-May2016/

The42 understands the cash injection for each province will be in the region of €500,000 although Munster will need a far greater amount of funding as they look to get out of a dire financial situation.

It’s understood the total loss, which is still to be confirmed at Munster’s annual general meeting, is in excess of €2 million and the IRFU will now bail the province out to that sum as they look to rebound next season.

Asked directly if Fitzgerald’s position was now under threat, Browne did not deny that that was the case.

Think Fitzgerald has to go. The difficulties Munster are now facing was a long time in the making, and Fitzgerald must be held accountable. I feel bad for Foley because he is taking most of the flak for Fitzgeralds failings.

I'd blame the IRFU for blocking every initiative Munster have had (such as hosting a southern hemisphere team during the AI for a midweek game).

It should not be forgotten that Fitzgerald was the CEO which built Munster into the biggest club brand in world rugby, redeveloped a 26,000 stadium and a 10k stadium and have now developed a state of the art training centre which will be opened next year valued at 9.5m in Limerick with little or no help from the IRFU.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 13 May 2016, 4:32 pm

Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

I'd blame the IRFU for blocking every initiative Munster have had (such as hosting a southern hemisphere team during the AI for a midweek game).

It should not be forgotten that Fitzgerald was the CEO which built Munster into the biggest club brand in world rugby, redeveloped a 26,000 stadium and a 10k stadium and have now developed a state of the art training centre which will be opened next year valued at 9.5m in Limerick with little or no help from the IRFU.

With no help from the IRFU except for a loan to pay for it? Which they then renegotiated to help Munster out

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 4:41 pm

Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

The IRFU isn't perfect, but they are not at fault for Munsters problems. Lack of succession planning, falling attendance, poor choice of head coach (I'm a fan of Foley. Just think it was too soon for him), and so on. Like I said; it was a long time in the making. Any other business and Fitzgerald would have been sacked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sun 15 May 2016, 1:23 pm

McCloskey the Irish-born Player of the Year at any of the provinces.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 16 May 2016, 3:28 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

The IRFU isn't perfect, but they are not at fault for Munsters problems. Lack of succession planning, falling attendance, poor choice of head coach (I'm a fan of Foley. Just think it was too soon for him), and so on. Like I said; it was a long time in the making. Any other business and Fitzgerald would have been sacked.

It puts a far different spin on the Maori game towards the end of the year. That's obviously an emergency game to boost the bank balance (say 26k seats at 60 a head - could be 1.5m towards the problem).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 May 2016, 3:41 pm

Stop with the Gloom eejits!  

It's Summer.  We're going to get thrashed in South Africa...I think not.  

And then onwards to next season.... two Irish sides in the Euro semis.  Munster will be fine.  They have had a bejaysus of a lumpy boggy road these last few years.  The Celtic Tiger is yawning again though (Basterde!).  We'll all be back on our feet in no time.

Get over yourselves!  Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 16 May 2016, 4:08 pm

SecretFly wrote:Stop with the Gloom eejits!  

It's Summer.  We're going to get thrashed in South Africa...I think not.  

And then onwards to next season.... two Irish sides in the Euro semis.  Munster will be fine.  They have had a bejaysus of a lumpy boggy road these last few years.  The Celtic Tiger is yawning again though (Basterde!).  We'll all be back on our feet in no time.

Get over yourselves!  Wink

Er... Sorry fly two Irish sides in the Euro final. Get your (crystal) balls serviced.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 May 2016, 4:15 pm

That's 'cause I'm a miserable git and always expect the worst... Wink

You're right of course. Two in the final. And I think one of those might even win the f**king thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo Yahoo

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 17 May 2016, 10:49 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

It puts a far different spin on the Maori game towards the end of the year.  That's obviously an emergency game to boost the bank balance (say 26k seats at 60 a head - could be 1.5m towards the problem).

No, its not an emergency game to get the money in. Munster have applied every year to host one of these games and they were not allowed. This is a game to get the fans back as the tickets are very reasonable (i.e., family of 2 adults & 2 children €40. 5 adults and 20 kids - €100). The most expensive ticket is €40 I think.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 18 May 2016, 9:46 am

Sounds like Pat Lam is off to Bath..
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 18 May 2016, 10:13 am

rodders wrote:Sounds like Pat Lam is off to Bath..

Heyneke Meyer too and Jake White so plenty of contenders

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 18 May 2016, 10:51 am

marty2086 wrote:

Heyneke Meyer too and Jake White so plenty of contenders

I wonder if Connacht might get George Ford on a swap?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 18 May 2016, 12:44 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/connacht-targeting-10000plus-new-stadium-as-part-of-long-term-vision-34726070.html

Connacht eyeing up a new stadium. It would be ideal for them if they could buy out the dog track.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 18 May 2016, 12:46 pm

I dunno. It looks like Schmidt will be leaving Ireland next year and PL looks to be in pole position for that job.

Actually the rumour on a kiwi forum is he has applied for the Crusaders job.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 18 May 2016, 12:52 pm

Is Lam's contract up this season?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 18 May 2016, 1:24 pm

No he has just signed a 3 year deal but it has some release clauses if other clubs show interest.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 18 May 2016, 1:30 pm

rodders wrote:No he has just signed a 3 year deal but it has some release clauses if other clubs show interest.

Munster?
Pat Lam wrote:
" Afterwards I was blown away by how gracious the Munster guys were in defeat. Keith Wood, Mick Galwey, every Munster fan I met, they were pretty amazing and I became a Munster supporter that day. If I turned on the television and they were playing i wanted them to win."
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 18 May 2016, 1:52 pm

Munster showing their weakness.................. too f**king nice!

Get some Frak' attitude, you bunch of sops. "Oh it was lovely losing to you, Mr Lam sir, if you be pardoning us for saying' so an' all, your Lordshipfulness, sir"

Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 18 May 2016, 2:26 pm

Fly, he was referring to the HCup final v. Northampton in 2000.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 20 May 2016, 1:04 pm

Interview here with BJ Botha which might be of interest to Ulster fans. Has lots of nice things to say about his time in Ireland. All their children were born in Ireland and he says they are getting Irish citizenship later this year.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/207843/BJ-Botha---Erasmus-capture.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 May 2016, 10:23 am

Looks like McCloskey, Ringrose, Matt Healy and Gilroy will all miss out on the summer tour.

Marshall and Olding on the plane though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 May 2016, 10:35 am

rodders wrote:Looks like McCloskey, Ringrose, Matt Healy and Gilroy will all miss out on the summer tour.

Is that from the horse's mouth?..... or just the tail region?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 23 May 2016, 1:22 pm

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:Looks like McCloskey, Ringrose, Matt Healy and Gilroy will all miss out on the summer tour.

Very Happy clap
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 May 2016, 1:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Munster?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 25 May 2016, 4:51 pm

OK - just in case any of you are interested. To raise a few bob for Munster:

Anyone into motor bikes - Nitros Circus in Musgrave Park in Cork on Sunday 12th June
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/22638.php#.V0XIh9eIU4B

Munster Rugby Dinner in London (Grovenor House) on 11th October where the Richard Harris Patrons Award will be presented.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/22641.php#.V0XJMNeIU4A

Other good news on the finances - MRSC handed over a cheque for 157,000 to the Munster Academy which brings the total raised by MRSC for Munster Academy to about 1 million over the last few years.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:19 am

Leinster have recruited Graham Henry as a coaching consultant.  Should be great for Leo and Girve

IRFU look to be addressing the coaching problem in the provinces. 

Lam, Kiss, Erasmus and now Henry. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/leinster-hire-graham-henry-as-coaching-consultant-1.2687659

EDIT: This one is nothing to do with the IRFU apparently?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:00 am

Fitzy is after calling it a day. Very disappointing for him. Just one of those desperately unlucky players who couldn't catch a break. 

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/15040.php#.V3JMN_krKUl

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:08 am

Unfortunately, it was inevitable.  Seldom has a player had such an interrupted history of injury filled in with little periods of fitness.

I don't know if he's just been unlucky or whether it was always his wild and impulsive style of play that was responsible.   He was always a player with oodles of potential and it's just a pity that he never got a real long period of uninterrupted fitness to settle down and prove the potential.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:18 am

Still a Lions tour, 2 6 nations championships (one a grandslam), 3 Heineken Cups, 3 Pro12 titles and a Challenge cup not a bad return for a career all things considered. 

Leinster back 3 even weaker now. Need a signing here.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:31 am

SecretFly wrote:Unfortunately, it was inevitable.  Seldom has a player had such an interrupted history of injury filled in with little periods of fitness.

I don't know if he's just been unlucky or whether it was always his wild and impulsive style of play that was responsible.   He was always a player with oodles of potential and it's just a pity that he never got a real long period of uninterrupted fitness to settle down and prove the potential.

Really sorry to hear about this. You may recall back about 10 years ago, I used to think that Luke & Keith Earls would be the next BOD & D'Arcy.

I think Luke became a professional too young when his body wasn't ready for it. I recall Keith Earls saying that he was told he was picking up all those injuries when he was a kid because his body had still not finished growing and there was too much of a work load on it. Thats why I'm glad to see Leinster & Ireland taking their time with Ringrose.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

Sorry to hear it too - I do think he was overrated at times by Leinster fans but when he was fit and on form he was pretty classy in attack and a very good defender.

Unfortunately his body couldn't match his mental toughness but he had a very good career despite not fulfilling his potential.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm

He always had potential to be really, really good which was never realised. Just flashes of brilliance. Like the tries he scored against Argentina when we got hammered in the RWC. His performance was the bright spot.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 28 Jun 2016, 1:54 pm

With Fitzgerald's retirement and Niall Morris being released by Leicester Tigers, will we see Leinster signing up Morris?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 28 Jun 2016, 2:42 pm

Newstalk has this morning revealed its exciting autumn schedule and welcomed four new full time presenters - Collette Fitzpatrick, Paul Williams, Sarah McInerney and Alan Quinlan.

Delighted for Quinny.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 29 Jun 2016, 4:32 pm

Leinster: 17 players out, 3 players in. A big clearout there. The young players will see plenty of action next season.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 29 Jun 2016, 11:22 pm

profitius wrote:Leinster: 17 players out, 3 players in. A big clearout there. The young players will see plenty of action next season.
Surely Leinster will be allowed sign a back or two. Bit of a crisis now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Thu 30 Jun 2016, 9:12 am

Probably going to be limited to IQ though. We already have 3 NIQs in the backline.

Adam Byrne is going to need a big season. Wonder if Kelleher is regretting his choice now.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:19 am

Of interest to all Provinces (presuming that the Provinces are dealt with the same way) - Ulster's Annual Report. The IRFU has really cut its funding (£1,591,044)

https://i.servimg.com/u/f35/16/53/77/41/screen10.png

Link to full report

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/annual-report.php#.V3Tgsq6IU4A
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:23 am

I thought the IRFU were increasing the funding to the provinces?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:51 am

£20,000?

Could that be called a major cut?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 30 Jun 2016, 11:22 am

Notch wrote:I thought the IRFU were increasing the funding to the provinces?

For 16-17 maybe. Really interesting reading. We really are up against it with the amount of money those French and some English clubs have. Just think of it - Grenoble's budget is at least twice that of Ulster's budget and they can't make the Champs Cup.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 30 Jun 2016, 11:23 am

SecretFly wrote:£20,000?

Could that be called a major cut?

Major cuts were about 3 or 4 years ago.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 30 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:I thought the IRFU were increasing the funding to the provinces?

For 16-17 maybe. Really interesting reading. We really are up against it with the amount of money those French and some English clubs have. Just think of it - Grenoble's budget is at least twice that of Ulster's budget and they can't make the Champs Cup.

England v Iceland.

England v Iceland.

Money ain't everything. Damn it, even supposed skill isn't everything - the Iceland boys walked over, around and through England.

And it can happen again in Rugby terms. The new European way has been a shock to the system and it was obvious Pro12 sides/Irish sides would feel the pressure in the beginning. But even last year, you could see them managing their way through the process - first assault the Pro12 and then hopefully have a reasonable amount of hardened players to take on Europe again on a more realistic footing.

We'll see. I'm optimistic for the next few years.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next