The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eng v Aus - Limited Overs Thread

+26
Fernando
Hibbz
alfie
Dolphin Ziggler
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
banyun
GSC
SimonofSurrey
liverbnz
Corporalhumblebucket
msp83
Stella
king_carlos
wisden
Mat
jimbohammers
Good Golly I'm Olly
Jetty
Duty281
VTR
Gooseberry
JDizzle
guildfordbat
LondonTiger
30 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Eng v Aus - Limited Overs Thread - Page 5 Empty Eng v Aus - Limited Overs Thread

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Aug 2015, 9:30 am

First topic message reminder :

Fixtures:

31 Aug: T20, Cardiff, 15:00 BST

3 Sep: 1st ODI, Southampton, 14:00
5 Sep: 2nd ODI, Lord's, 10:30
8 Sep: 3rd ODI, Old Trafford, 14:00
11 Sep: 4th ODI, Headingley, 10:30
13 Sep: 5th ODI, Old Trafford, 10:30

Squads:

England T20:
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Reece Topley (Essex), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Northamptonshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

England ODI
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, capt), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), David Willey Northamptonshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

Australia
David Warner, Joe Burns, Steve Smith (capt), Shane Watson, George Bailey, Matthew Wade, Mitch Marsh, Marcus Stoinis, Glenn Maxwell, Ashton Agar, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, James Pattinson. Cameron Boyce (T20 only)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Eng v Aus - Limited Overs Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Eng v Aus - Limited Overs Thread

Post by alfie Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:52 am

Olly wrote:Hoping we see Willey in the side today, and Billings for Buttler (he's a far better gloveman than bairstow, and he can bat at 7 allowing Moeen to go upto 6)

Surely Bairstow will play ? Unfortunate to miss out in the first place and wouldn't think he'd be called up just to run drinks. Cannot comment on Billings' keeping skills as I haven't seen him ; but I have the feeling they see him more as an aggressive late order bat with his wicketkeeping as a maybe useful extra. He hasn't really done anything special with the bat yet while Bairstow was the star in his one recent chance in ODI...
If Willey doesn't play this one I'll wonder why he's in the squad.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Eng v Aus - Limited Overs Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Eng v Aus - Limited Overs Thread

Post by Stella Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm

Bairstow and Willey should be playing and most probably will be. Bairstow was a little unfortunate not be playing, as Alfie states.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:36 pm

Wish Sky would stop banging on about Australia playing perfectly within the rules of the game and describing it as 'controversial.'

England have a decent chance to get back into the series with this game. Batting first on a ground where they have a tremendous ODI record; Australia will have to chase under the lights.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:39 pm

Pfft, Bairstow in only change, so bowling as it was last time out.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:34 pm

Roy has started rather stylishly...

Disappointed no Willey as I think England could use some variety in their pace attack ; but if they can turn this good start into a big score the spinners might just do the job for them later.

Hales by contrast seems to be struggling to get going. He really could do with a score here.

Nice to see Pattinson back bowling for Australia again - has had a rough run with injuries.

And here is Agar...given a nice welcome by Roy Smile Will be interesting to see how he settles.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

And indeed Hales gone cheaply .: not a real surprise. Just wasn't timing it at all today.

Unfortunately not doing his standing much good in these ODIs. Is he just not up to it ? Or just a bad run ? Too soon to tell , perhaps. One who can play so well in t20 ought to be doing better than this. I suspect the pressure to get a solid score - and quickly - might be making him over anxious ; but if so he needs to get over it soon as he won't get unlimited chances.
Still think he is a prospect. But faith is being tested...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:49 pm

Good fifty for Roy clap

Hope he keeps going. But I'm off ...these late games are a bit much midweek...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:22 pm

Hi Alfie and all - I don't deny a feeling of disappointment and frustration at Roy's dismissal but another score of over 60 in good time shows not only his potential but also his current worth.

I've been boring the Surrey boys here and on the old 606 silly about Roy for over five years. He's always had the shot making skill and the power. What he has too often lacked is the ability to properly judge an innings and what is required at the right time*. That's improved although we shouldn't be surprised that this weakness can resurface and especially against top international bowlers.

You and others will need to determine whether this is just my acknowledged bias but I do feel he is well worth sticking with.

As a bit of an aside, I also consider him to be an excellent fielder (close in and on the rope) although accept that hasn't been properly evidenced in ODIs as yet.

*There was a brilliant demonstration of how to build an innings and go on by Sanga at the Oval yesterday. Do try and catch some of it on the net. There have been suggestions that Roy's attacking strokes have benefitted from playing at Surrey with Pietersen. That may be so (although Roy already had many of them from the start); however, it's from Sanga that he could really learn and most benefit.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:25 pm

Sorry wasnt Hales the 606 favourite to open the batting for the test team a week or so ago?

Good to see Roy starting to deliver though. He needed these scores.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2015, 3:53 pm

Hopefully Hales' chances of opening in the U.A.E. have been vanquished.

Good little test now for England - can they make 350+ here? The position they are presently in indicates an expectancy that they should.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:02 pm

Duty281 wrote:Hopefully Hales' chances of opening in the U.A.E. have been vanquished.

Hopefully not.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm

Australia will be looking to limit it to 330, maybe 320. Anything over, under the new dispensation, should be safe
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:59 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Maxwell is shockingly average with the ball, yet his returns always seem to flatter.

Rolling Eyes It goes on! 2/56 off a full 10 today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:34 pm

Pathetic conclusion from England, even taking into consideration the sharp fielding and clever bowling from Australia.

I mark it as an even game about now, but I think the first ten overs of Australia's innings will decide the match. If England can decimate the top order in that time, say three wickets or more, they will win, otherwise Australia will clinch the series.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:39 pm

Happy for Taylor - guy is clearly a class act in the one day stuff, too good to be left out of our side when root comes back
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 08 Sep 2015, 6:00 pm

Think Maxwell is a little better than is given credit for. Never gonna lead Aus to a Test win with his darts, but certainly in the JP Duminy class of off-spinners. Think his slightly under 11 looking bowling action misleads people a little.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2015, 6:58 pm

Solid first ten overs for Australia.

I think I'll take the bookmakers up on their 11/8 at this stage.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

Olly wrote:Happy for Taylor - guy is clearly a class act in the one day stuff, too good to be left out of our side when root comes back

If Root comes back, someone has to be left out.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm

The fact Moeen, a finger spinner, is turning it considerably more than Rashid, a wrist spinner, whilst bowling 5mph faster has to be a concern going into the Pakistan Test series. Having said that, Adil is getting some lovely drift and dip, and when he batsmen have to come at you, is very tough to deal with. Lovely stuff.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:47 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Olly wrote:Happy for Taylor - guy is clearly a class act in the one day stuff, too good to be left out of our side when root comes back

If Root comes back, someone has to be left out.

I'd leave out Stokes tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

JDizzle wrote:The fact Moeen, a finger spinner, is turning it considerably more than Rashid, a wrist spinner, whilst bowling 5mph faster has to be a concern going into the Pakistan Test series. Having said that, Adil is getting some lovely drift and dip, and when he batsmen have to come at you, is very tough to deal with. Lovely stuff.

Both are bowling well imo - Rashid bowled well last game too, not so well 1st game tho. Figures didn't reflect this unfortunately!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:01 pm

Good so far, need to close it out now. We certainly wouldn't win from this position

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:09 pm

Olly wrote:
JDizzle wrote:The fact Moeen, a finger spinner, is turning it considerably more than Rashid, a wrist spinner, whilst bowling 5mph faster has to be a concern going into the Pakistan Test series. Having said that, Adil is getting some lovely drift and dip, and when he batsmen have to come at you, is very tough to deal with. Lovely stuff.

Both are bowling well imo - Rashid bowled well last game too, not so well 1st game tho. Figures didn't reflect this unfortunately!

First time I've seen him bowl this series. Undoubtedly bowling well, just not convinced it translates to Tests! England choking Australia by spin though, what a time to be alive.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm

JDizzle wrote:
Olly wrote:

First time I've seen him bowl this series. Undoubtedly bowling well, just not convinced it translates to Tests! England choking Australia by spin though, what a time to be alive.

Well there's only one way to find out if it translates to tests and think we'll find out soon!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:14 pm

JD, I would imagine that Rashid is prioritising control over wicked turn.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:17 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:JD, I would imagine that Rashid is prioritising control over wicked turn.

A good point - although the second to last ball of his spell pitched middle and leg, and would've missed a 6th stump!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

Probably, but if he wants to play Test cricket this winter, I'd be expecting him to be able to rag whilst still maintaining control.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

Haha, and yes I did see that ball. Right after I posted my original point as well, great stuff from me.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:46 pm

Beautiful spell of bowling from Moeen. I just love watching him play cricket. So classy.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm

Aussies 172-9

This one is over folks, Aussies being pounded like Olly on a relative.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:23 pm

Glad to see my jinx paid off. Wink

Well played, England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:24 pm

Taylor hundred, Moeen/Rashid spinning England to victory - we should just pack up ODI's just peaked
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:44 am

A good win, but is this coin toss cricket given how hard it is to bat under lights in September?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:06 am

VTR wrote:A good win, but is this coin toss cricket given how hard it is to bat under lights in September?

Good job last two matches are day games then.

I think it is actually a continuation of the pattern we saw in the ashes of the team batting first building a score and the other team being poor under pressure. (60 all out in first session excluded of course Very Happy)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:48 am

I think we can now say that Taylor is tall enough to bat in international cricket, but too short to field properly.

There is a suspicon that changing conditions into the evening may have played a part in results so far but what England delivered differently this time was wickets. There was a lot of stick for the decision to pick Plunkett, but his pace was suited to the wicket. Maybe a bit of extra bounce helped Ali look less like a pie seller too.
Im not sure how many questions this answers about either side, espeically as Australia were noticeably under strength.

Taylor and Roy are both justifying continued selection. That will cause a headache when Root is available again, at the minute Hales (the golden boy/solution to all Englands problems in all formats / new KP etc) simply isnt deleivering ...his scores are worse than Cook, Bell and all the previous targets of abuse were delivering. We know he has potential (as evidenced in T20 ) to do a lot better but whilst he continues to be outshone by Roy his long term place has to be vulnerable.
He badly needs a big score, on the evidence of last nights struggles (albeit that he copped the toughest bowling) he simply isnt up to the task of opening in ODIs currrently and if anything going backwards as the summer progresses.
For me a full strength side would not have him in right now, which is quite a change. Leaving Stokes out isnt a serious option ... his batting hasnt been any better than that of Hales but they need the 6th bowling option, and he is the best outfielder in the side (even if Finns stolen his catch of the year title).

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

Aus win toss and bat.

Two changes for both teams. Australia rest a tires Starc with Hastings coming in, while Stoinis replaces Agar with Smith saying they need a seamer more than a spinner.

For england Wood replaces the rested Finn and Willey the injured Woakes.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:39 am

Wood and Willey? Oh come on is the England team being picked by the Carry On writers?
I can see the world cup headlines now " England make semi thanks to Wood and Willey"

Even with Starc (and the rest) out it should be Austrlias game batting first. Early wickets as always though the key, can Wood get the penetration ...(oo eeer etc)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:43 am

Willey picks up burns
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:44 am

Willey's balls are swinging.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

Wood looking hard and fast.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:58 am

Fantastic swinging yorker from Willey

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:59 am

Banging one in, a good length etc

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:02 am

Willey getting excited out there
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:12 am

Looking good so far, Willeys certainly made a point. With Aus missing so many players the depth isnt there with big guns out.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:18 am

Switched on late just in time to see Willey grab the third wicket - great start for England !
Then on here to see a series of innuendo ...ah you're an evil bunch ...

But I can see why you couldn't resist (my smilies don't work for some reason tonight but assume I'm chuckling )

Dropped catch ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:19 am

Roy should be angry with himself over that drop. looks like he was not concentrating on the game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:19 am

Roy had one off the wrist there

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:33 am

Nice touch here as Stokes fields in his follow through and shapes to throw at the striker's end...love the smile as he holds the ball Smile

Think the young hothead is maturing...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

Maxwell starting to look a bit dangerous ...

Pace men are bowling some handy stuff so you can see why they are continuing at both ends ; but I wonder if a dash of Rashid might be a good idea before he gets too comfortable ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:41 am

Theyve started to get some control back...not worth risking RAshid just yet IMO especially as they are generating wicket taking chances with the seamers

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next