The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 3 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Oct 2015, 3:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Stella - FYI I've been on an enforced lay-off for 2 weeks now.  Tried running into work two weeks ago and pulled up lame after only 10 mins/2km.  Went to physio and I've definitely damaged something.

So it's no running till next weekend and even then I'm only allowed on a treadmill (as it's sprung) not hard outside surfaces. Sad

At least I can still cycle to work to get some exercise...

Have to be very careful when you're heavy and running distances.............A lot of pressure on the calves and hams.....

Rule number 1....Got to walk before you can run....

Been walking 30 years, thought I'd give running a shot. You should try it sometime, work on those moobs a bit.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 07 Oct 2015, 3:37 pm

Stella wrote:Well done on the time, corporal clap

I was down in Tunbridge Wells last week. I'm guessing the course is quite hilly?

Stella - thanks.  The parkrun course in TW is in Dunorlan Park. It is a bit hilly - nothing too lengthy or steep by way of the various uphills, except there is a shortish steep bit right at the very end of the run.  That has certainly caught me out a few times and I've ended walking last 50 metres, tho not so much recently. The 10k run I did the other day is said to be one of the tougher ones for beginners.  That one started and finished on TW Common and included several hills in the second half.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 07 Oct 2015, 3:39 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Stella wrote:Well done on the time, corporal clap

I was down in Tunbridge Wells last week. I'm guessing the course is quite hilly?

Stella - thanks.  The parkrun course in TW is in Dunorlan Park. It is a bit hilly - nothing too lengthy or steep by way of the various uphills, except there is a shortish steep bit right at the very end of the run.  That has certainly caught me out a few times and I've ended walking last 50 metres, tho not so much recently. The 10k run I did the other day is said to be one of the tougher ones for beginners.  That one started and finished on TW Common and included several hills in the second half.

Well if I ever decide to do another 10k, I'll give that one a miss.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 08 Oct 2015, 8:07 am

Hero wrote:My eldest is taking part in the Macclesfield Year 5&6 Cross Country run this afternoon (he's Year 5), last year in the Year 3 & 4 he came 5th in the area so fingers crossed he has a good showing (though being the younger year this time I'm not expecting him to be as high).

He came 11th overall but was the highest placed Year 5 in Macclesfield out of 150 entrants so rather proud this morning Smile

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 08 Oct 2015, 8:12 am

Hero wrote:
Hero wrote:My eldest is taking part in the Macclesfield Year 5&6 Cross Country run this afternoon (he's Year 5), last year in the Year 3 & 4 he came 5th in the area so fingers crossed he has a good showing (though being the younger year this time I'm not expecting him to be as high).

He came 11th overall but was the highest placed Year 5 in Macclesfield out of 150 entrants so rather proud this morning Smile

clap

A proud Dad.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Oct 2015, 9:32 am

Hero wrote:

Tip top! Congrats to your lad clap clap

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 08 Oct 2015, 10:02 am

It was twice the distance from what he'd ran from earlier years so played to his strengths of stamina over speed as he's certainly more of a long distance runner.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:53 pm

Did my first parkrun last Saturday in a time of 24:09, which I was a bit disappointed with. Ultimate goal is to break 20 mins, can it be done? ......
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:42 pm

You bloody whippet!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:38 pm

Hero wrote:

Well done Hero Junior! clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:46 pm

incontinentia wrote:Did my first parkrun last Saturday in a time of 24:09, which I was a bit disappointed with. Ultimate goal is to break 20 mins, can it be done? ......

clap Run Run Run

Plenty of runners do knock 5+ mins off the time of their first park run.  Tho' lots of them (including me) probably starting from a very low/slow baseline where it's relatively easy to make some big improvements.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:08 am

Managed 5k on the treadmill last night. Could have gone further, but didn't want to aggravate my calf. Took me about 29 mins, so no world record.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:17 am

Anyone done Mens Health 'Survival of the Fittest'?.
Taking part in the event tomorrow morning in Nottingham. Six miles with a number of obstacles. Looked like fun when booking it a couple of months ago.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:50 am

Stella wrote:Managed 5k on the treadmill last night. Could have gone further, but didn't want to aggravate my calf. Took me about 29 mins, so no world record.

Thanks for the update Stella. Might try get to the gym next week before work for a light session and try the same.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:51 am

aja424 wrote:Anyone done Mens Health 'Survival of the Fittest'?.
Taking part in the event tomorrow morning in Nottingham. Six miles with a number of obstacles. Looked like fun when booking it a couple of months ago.

Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:56 am

Yeah I know. Will update tomorrow!

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:56 am

Sounds like fun aja OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 09 Oct 2015, 11:03 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Stella wrote:Managed 5k on the treadmill last night. Could have gone further, but didn't want to aggravate my calf. Took me about 29 mins, so no world record.

Thanks for the update Stella. Might try get to the gym next week before work for a light session and try the same.

Good luck with that, tophat!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:00 pm

You could try raising the incline and going slower. Less impact on the joints and comparable workout.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 09 Oct 2015, 11:34 pm

aja424 wrote:Anyone done Mens Health 'Survival of the Fittest'?.

Shocked  I draw the line at running plus obstacles.  Good luck tomorrow. thumbsup

I've just put in for my second 10k in a couple of weeks.  This stuff could get addictive.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 10 Oct 2015, 1:52 pm

Well allahu was not akbar today- my second parkrun wasn't any faster than the first. Beginning to think the 20 minute goal I have set is a bit too ambitious Sad
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Oct 2015, 2:10 pm

incontinentia wrote:Well allahu was not akbar today- my second parkrun wasn't any faster than the first. Beginning to think the 20 minute goal I have set is a bit too ambitious Sad

I know nothing about running coaching, but for me at least it feels better to concentrate on shorter term, hopefully realistic, aim of beating my PB then, when I've done that, aiming to beat that one as well.... I guess more serious runners have a lot more sophisticated approach.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 10 Oct 2015, 2:58 pm

That's a wise approach Corporal. For the moment I will concentrate on addressing my main weakness, which seems to be aerobic endurance. Need to do more long, slow runs etc for a few weeks and the re-assess.

What time are you hoping to do the 10k in?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Oct 2015, 7:30 pm

incontinentia wrote:That's a wise approach Corporal. For the moment I will concentrate on addressing my main weakness, which seems to be aerobic endurance. Need to do more long, slow runs etc for a few weeks and the re-assess.

What time are you hoping to do the 10k in?

Hoping to beat 56.42 (my first 10k time).  As this one's a bit flatter I would be pleased to do it in, say, 56.00.  I've done a whole stack of parkrun 5ks in a row recently in the band 26.00 - to 26.50.  So the scope for dramatic improvement over 10k is somewhat limited at the moment, as there is no way I will be doing 10k in only same time as double my 5k time.

I've found that simple expedient of doing one or two practice runs each week of around 6 or 7k has helped me with my stamina for the weekly 5k parkrun.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 9:59 am

Killing me to read all this running chat whilst I'm still off injured Sad

As a guage, when I set my 10k PB (52:19) I was running 5k in about 24:45. So I guess maybe double your 5k time and then add 10% of your 5k time to find your achievable 10k time.

E.g. 5km: 25 mins
10km = 25 * 2 = 50 + 2.5 = 52.5m

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 12 Oct 2015, 11:20 am

I feel your frustration, tophat.

Corporal

I'm no expert, but I do interval running once a week (when I'm fit). Basically I run about 3-4 miles at a normal pace, and have approx 30 metre sprints mixed in. This helps with pace, and gets the heart pumping.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 11:30 am

Good idea including the sprints. Try doing the same distance at the same pace, but minus the sprints. You will notice how much easier it is and will feel the benefits from the intervals.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 12 Oct 2015, 11:45 am

cheers aja

How was your run at the weekend?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 11:47 am

Stella wrote:I feel your frustration, tophat.

Corporal

I'm no expert, but I do interval running once a week (when I'm fit). Basically I run about 3-4 miles at a normal pace, and have approx 30 metre sprints mixed in. This helps with pace, and gets the heart pumping.

Any kind of interval training is the way to make pace gains.

It was what a trainer recommended for me and made a big difference. Basically it's about pushing your heart to bursting so short/safe periods as you are trying to train your hard to better get oxygen to your muscles - this reduces fatigue when then doing general exercise and consequently improves pace.

Other things to do, if you don't mind the gym, are core work as a strong core is crucial to good technique - and as with a lot of things, technique translates to gain. When I was training I would do a gym session once a week to include squats (often lighter weights but on balance boards), planks, crunches (or similar, like using TRX straps) and some lat pull downs and/or seated rows.

Other HIIT exercises that are good include battle ropes (if you fancy resting your legs) and skipping or box jumps or mountain climbers etc.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 11:54 am

https://www.trxtraining.com/train/core-workout-15-minute-fitness-with-jay-cardiello

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 12 Oct 2015, 12:05 pm

I will give that a go, tophat.

Funny I was speaking to a mate at the weekend, about core work.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 1:00 pm

Stella wrote:cheers aja

How was your run at the weekend?

Finished in just over 1.5 hours mate. Came 260/2140. Think I'll have the week off now.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 12 Oct 2015, 1:02 pm

How do you measure a strong core? I can plank for about 3 minutes, not sure if that is a good measure. I sometimes do side planks, side bends with 20kg and the like. The occasional deadlift and squat.

Do you guys do much flexibility work?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 12 Oct 2015, 1:03 pm

I do the plank a few mornings a week. Can do about a minute.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 1:45 pm

1 minute is where the usual bar is set. If that becomes too comfortable then stick a 10kg or 20kg plate on your back.

Providing your form/technique is correct, 3 mins is really really good. Like personal trainer good.

Think some German guy set the world record a couple of months back at 5 mins something.

Only flexibility work I do is ref my leg muscles as I get quite bad leg cramps if not stretching properly. And some basic yoga positions for my back which gets sore too.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 12 Oct 2015, 2:27 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:1 minute is where the usual bar is set.  If that becomes too comfortable then stick a 10kg or 20kg plate on your back.

Providing your form/technique is correct, 3 mins is really really good. Like personal trainer good.

Think some German guy set the world record a couple of months back at 5 mins something.

Only flexibility work I do is ref my leg muscles as I get quite bad leg cramps if not stretching properly.  And some basic yoga positions for my back which gets sore too.
I don't think we're talking about the same exercise, the world record for the plank according to google is several hours. Ridiculous but true apparently!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 2:30 pm

Same exercise, I just got my times mixed up! 5 hours is RIDICULOUS!!!

Still think 3 mins is seriously bloody good though thumbsup

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 12 Oct 2015, 2:31 pm

This is what I call the plank.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKFwyJ3tDE8Vt6MgZplk8uO83ODl5DW147jPVb2_t6mHTL0DOxfbutA4i6
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 2:57 pm

That's the one. Though admittedly, whilst I keep my elbows below my shoulers, I do allow my hands to meet (in clenched fists!) below my head.

Trying using the TRX straps to do an atomic push up instead. Insane. You get into a plank position, except with arms extended akin to a push up and your feet suspended in the straps (thus keeping the flat 'plank' position). Then alternate between pulling your knees to you chest in a crunch and then extending back into plank and doing a push up from that position.

Absolutely kills me. I often to have to do them successively (5-10 reps of crunches followed by 5-10 push ups) as alternating is so hard.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 12 Oct 2015, 9:24 pm

I have sometimes done fartleks, which I suppose is a form of interval training.  That seems generally quite useful, including trying to run up a hill quite fast.  I was though completely gutted by my first fartlek.  It was unplanned and before I had properly warmed up. A small dog escaped from a garden and was yapping away at my ankles for quite a long distance. Run  Run

Never done any core work - I'm far too weedy for that.  I do a spot of cross training, about 50 lengths of very gentle breast stroke once a week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:18 am

Weedy is no excuse for a lack of core work!

1. You still need it for results with your running; and
2. It's easier when you're weedy! Try doing a plank when you weigh over 100kg!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 13 Oct 2015, 12:05 pm

Going for a road run tomorrow. Just hope my calf doesn't tighten up.

Yes corporal, fartleks is the name.

Bloody dogs are the bane of a joggers life. My brother-in-law got bitten a few weeks ago, and had to go to hospital for a jab.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 12:36 pm

Stella wrote:Going for a road run tomorrow. Just hope my calf doesn't tighten up.

Let us know how you get on, Stella, tomorrow am is my first day back in the gym for some light treadmill work. Fingers crossed.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 13 Oct 2015, 12:36 pm

Aborted 10k training run after about 6 or 7k today - started to get minor hamstring twinges.  Probably quite difficult if that sort of thing happens during an event - I think I would probably try and carry on running through it and risk getting injured.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 12:46 pm

That's the mistake I made. Calf went but it was in the last km so there was no way I was stopping having already ran over 20km.

Did mean I ended up injuring myself though....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 13 Oct 2015, 12:51 pm

I'll report in tomorrow.

Think you made a wise move, corporal. I suppose you could have trotted the rest, if you were in a organised race.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 13 Oct 2015, 6:42 pm

Decided to go for a run tonight, as the kids and their Mum were out. Managed about 3 miles ( I was gone for 30 minutes) which I was well chuffed with, as running up and down pavements etc  can cause problems. Funnily enough I had a bit of spring in my step, which for me makes a change. Probably best to leave running for a couple of days now, and hope my calf doesn't give me grief.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Oct 2015, 7:56 pm

I was training for either the Bradford or Leeds 10k run this year when I broke the bone in my foot thus scuppering my chances. Been told by the doctor to avoid any sort of impact on my foot til the end of the year by which time it will be freezing cold and like f*ck will I want to go out running. However, my wife convinced me to use her cross-trainer instead and whilst I do feel vaguely stupid, there's minimal impact on my foot and I can still get a "workout". Found it difficult even to do a few push-ups given the pressure you have to put on your feet but it's getting better slowly. Gave up drinking for the month and found myself grazing of junk food instead. Need to get motivated to get into shape as, since my Mum died, I've let myself go to sh!t...she'd not be pleased!

As disgusting as you lot may be, you're a real inspiration and whilst I'm not keeping and records or diaries, just getting back into a routine seems to be doing as much good as the actual exercise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 13 Oct 2015, 8:04 pm

Nice one Dave OK

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:42 pm

Stella wrote:Decided to go for a run tonight, as the kids and their Mum were out. Managed about 3 miles ( I was gone for 30 minutes) which I was well chuffed with, as running up and down pavements etc  can cause problems. Funnily enough I had a bit of spring in my step, which for me makes a change. Probably best to leave running for a couple of days now, and hope my calf doesn't give me grief.

That's a good sign, Stella. thumbsup Funny how some days for no obvious reason you feel leaden footed, then another day it's much better.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum