The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 6 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 6 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 20 Dec 2015, 10:21 pm

That's right - I don't do any running the day before a race. But, as per usual in this situation, I'll probably go along to parkrun as a volunteer though. Should be nice festive atmosphere on Boxing Day.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 6 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by alfie Sun 20 Dec 2015, 11:27 pm

Good luck for Sunday , corporal.

Can't say I've ever raced on Boxing Day ; one might need to go easy on the turkey. We used to have a 10k starting just before midnight on New Year's Eve which was a healthy alternative to too much early drinking...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 21 Dec 2015, 9:39 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:That's right - I don't do any running the day before a race.  But, as per usual in this situation, I'll probably go along to parkrun as a volunteer though. Should be nice festive atmosphere on Boxing Day.  

What better way to start off Boxing day!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 21 Dec 2015, 5:03 pm

alfie wrote:Good luck for Sunday , corporal.

Can't say I've ever raced on Boxing Day ; one might need to go easy on the turkey.  We used to have a 10k starting just before midnight on New Year's Eve which was a healthy alternative to too much early drinking...

Shocked Now that is keen! Thanks for the good wishes, Alfie. Don't think I would fancy running in the Melbourne heat. Last summer I found that with temperature at 18c or warmer I would get dehydrated, even on a 5k run.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 22 Dec 2015, 10:53 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Good solid run, Stella - sounds like you were up rather early.  

Yes, my 10 miler is next Sunday, on roads.  That will be a pleasant change - parts of local parkrun are likely to remain a quagmire until some point next Spring. Probably only about 300+ metres on each of the two laps is really bad. But at least three runners lost a shoe yesterday and it was incredibly slippery in places, even with trail shoes.

Best of luck with the 10 miler, Corporal, sure you'll smash it!! thumbsup

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 22 Dec 2015, 10:58 am

So, has anyone signed up to anything for 2016....????

I did apply for the London Royal Parks half marathon in October, but I'm now doing London to Paris cycle ride in the first week of September so no chance I'll be able to train properly.

So, with scrapping that and desperately needing to lose weight again, I'm going to sign up to the North London Stadium-to-Stadium (Allianz [Saracens] to Wembley) half marathon instead which is at the end of March.

Will do the Property triathlon (maybe duathlon) again in July for something in between!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 22 Dec 2015, 11:05 am

I've signed up for the Milton Keynes marathon, which is in May. I'm up to 16 miles now, and will hopefully run 17 miles this week, either tomorrow or xmas eve.

Triathlons? Only being able to swim about 25 metres before stopping makes this almost impossible for me.

How is the running going, tophat?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 22 Dec 2015, 11:41 am

Great work on the marathon, Stella, that distance is never for me!!

Re the triathlon, totally agree. However this year the event ran a duathlon for the first time, which I did, therefore will probably be what I do again (desperate to beat my time and get under my 90 minute target which I missed by 37 seconds last time!!

It's all 'sprint' distances, but basically the tri is 750m swim, then 21km cycle, then 5km run.

The duathlon is 5km run, 21km cycle, 2.5km run.

The killer of the tri is finishing on the longer run, however your legs are fresher and they do minimal work in the swim.....but I think I'll stick to avoiding the wet stuff for now!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 22 Dec 2015, 12:22 pm

Well done, guys - plenty of plans for the New Year.  A marathon, Stella  Yahoo Looks like you are well on target already with the kind of distances you are doing regulary.

I'm with you on the swimming.  Until recently, when baths closed for repairs I did about 40 -  50 lengths once a week.  Of very slow, laboured breast stroke.  In the all the years I did it I didn't notice any improvement in my weedy arm muscles.  At least I get some sort of reasonable payback in my leg muscles for the running training I'm doing.

Good luck with the duatholon, HM and bike race, TopHat.  Nice varied programme and I hope the training goes smoothly with no injury problems.

So far, I've only signed up for the Chichester 10k in early Feb.  That's a bigger event than I've done so far, with a couple of thousand runners.  If I enjoy the 10 miler this Sunday, I have in mind to enter my first HM. The local one round Tunbridge Wells at end Feb is a very good race, scenic with a great atmosphere - but quite a tough one for a first timer - with long hill.  So I haven't quite decided yet.

Looking forward to this Sunday's race.  Thanks for the good wishes!  My younger son is doing it as well.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

Back on the streets of Muswell Hill for 5k last night. Pain free and 10 secs/km quicker pace but still pretty damn slow. Hill by name and hill by nature - and I HATE HILLS!!

Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year all.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 23 Dec 2015, 6:47 pm

Nice one tophat OK

Merry Christmas to all.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 23 Dec 2015, 10:02 pm

We wish you a happy fartlek Whistle

Indeed I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - with plenty of ... Run

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 27 Dec 2015, 7:29 am

How did the 10 miler go corporal?

I went for a 6.5 mile run this morning. The mountain of junk food I've consumed over the last three days made it slightly tough, though I feel better for it!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 27 Dec 2015, 3:20 pm

I made it round Stella, thanks.  Haven't seen the official results yet, but it was about 1:27:30 plus or minus a few seconds. Pleased with my overall time, although I had to walk up part of a hill at about 10k and I slowed quite a lot in the last mile.  No doubt that 10 miles is a lot further than 10k! I probably started rather too quickly - did first 5k in about 25 mins, and first 10k in about 52 minutes.  There wasn't a lot in the tank for last 4 miles! Status: #knackered!

I see you did another solid and very early run! thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 27 Dec 2015, 6:01 pm

Cracking time corporal, well done clap
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec 2015, 12:46 am

Good effort , Corporal clap

Clearly you didn't leave anything in the tank...and next time you'll do even better as you will be able to judge the pace better.

Next step the half marathon Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 28 Dec 2015, 10:26 am

Can anyone recommend a Marathon Training plan.

Have found a few online but wondering if anyone has used one they found good

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 28 Dec 2015, 6:45 pm

LL Cool Nay wrote:Can anyone recommend a Marathon Training plan.

Have found a few online but wondering if anyone has used one they found good

I'm training for one, though will not claim to be an expert. I've read and watched quite a bit in magazines/books and on you-tube, possibly too much. One piece of advice which seems to be the norm is get in as many miles possible, be it 20 mile runs, or loads of shorter ones. My aim is to increase my mileage by about 3 miles per month, as well as doing smaller faster runs twice a week.

As for food. Again, I'm no expert. I've started eating Banana's before runs, and take an electrolyte gel on my long runs.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 31 Dec 2015, 12:49 pm

Alfie & Stella - thanks. (Official time was 1:27:21) Still wondering about a half marathon, but for the immediate future I'm contemplating doing one of the extra parkruns on New Year's Day and the usual one on Sat.

I've definitely not tried any marathon training plans so far! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 31 Dec 2015, 4:11 pm

Would recommend doing a half marathon, its a pretty cool feeling when you finish.

If you can do 10 miles the extra 3 isnt really all that much.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 04 Jan 2016, 12:06 pm

Half marathon almost killed me!!

Am weigh back performance wise still.  Went out on Xmas day and was going fine until my right calf went again, this time at about 4.3km - thankfully nobody had started boozing by that point so I could call home for a lift!!

Went out yesterday round Finny P for a slow 5km, calf tight but working at least, my times are way down though so sacking off that March half marathon idea - all my focus needs to be on losing weight!!

Great time Corporal!! My 15k time on the GNR was 1:28:40 so you were flying compared to me!!

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 04 Jan 2016, 2:44 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Half marathon almost killed me!!

Am weigh back performance wise still.  Went out on Xmas day and was going fine until my right calf went again, this time at about 4.3km - thankfully nobody had started boozing by that point so I could call home for a lift!!

Went out yesterday round Finny P for a slow 5km, calf tight but working at least, my times are way down though so sacking off that March half marathon idea - all my focus needs to be on losing weight!!

Great time Stella!! My 15k time on the GNR was 1:28:40 so you were flying compared to me!!

Happy New Year TopHat. Sorry to hear about the travails with actual/possible injuries creeping up on you. Judging by the above, sounds as though you have a weight on your mind. Crying or Very sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:04 pm

LL Cool Nay wrote:Would recommend doing a half marathon, its a pretty cool feeling when you finish.

Have just registered for the local (hilly) half marathon in February. #gulp Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:11 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
LL Cool Nay wrote:Would recommend doing a half marathon, its a pretty cool feeling when you finish.

Have just registered for the local (hilly) half marathon in February. #gulp Shocked

Well done Corp, go for it!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:15 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Half marathon almost killed me!!

Great time Stella!! My 15k time on the GNR was 1:28:40 so you were flying compared to me!!

Happy New Year TopHat.  Sorry to hear about the travails with actual/possible injuries creeping up on you.  Judging by the above, sounds as though you have a weight on your mind. Crying or Very sad  

Haha that I am, Corporal!

Having lost 9 stone in 2014, I put 2 stone back on in 2015 - partly due to the comfort factor of having a missus but mostly, I think, following my injury in the GNR which reduced my training/calorie burn significantly but I kept up my GNR eating level and allowed pre-2014 bad habits to creep back in too.

So, back to little or no breakfast, soup or salad for lunch, no snacking, no beer or cider and minimal wine. 1 cheat day a week.

FUN TIMES!! Lol

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 04 Jan 2016, 4:01 pm

I hope the calf stays ok tophat.

Good luck with the half marathon corporal, not that you'll need it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 05 Jan 2016, 7:09 am

Nice one Corp.

First day of marathon training today with a 5 mile run in 48:35 so not to bad a start.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 05 Jan 2016, 9:31 am

Great start LL, what was your route like??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 05 Jan 2016, 1:08 pm

Thankfully i stay near a canal, so it's flat. Only hills are running from house to canal and back.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 06 Jan 2016, 4:10 pm

10 mile HM training run (1:32:32 at lunchtime.  Felt a bit leggy throughout, but it gets few more miles on the clock.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 07 Jan 2016, 7:19 am

7.2mile run this morning. The first 3 mile were nearly all up hill, well a gentle slope, and into the wind. That was tough. Then from about 3.5-6.5 miles it was mostly downhill, with sudden gusts of wind behind me. It felt like I was running like seb coe for about 20 minutes. In all it took 1hr and 30 secs. A great way to start the day!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:15 am

Great work all! Very jealous!!

Going to try for 7k on Saturday, hopefully come through it ok....! Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 07 Jan 2016, 10:27 pm

Well done, Stella, that's an excellent pace over 7 miles. clap  Best of luck for Saturday, TopHat  

Which marathon are you training for LL?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 08 Jan 2016, 6:41 pm

The Edinburgh Marathon.

Its fairly flat but if its anything like the half marathon you double back on yourself. So you pass the finish line and then keeping running for miles.

So depressing ha ha

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 10 Jan 2016, 4:55 pm

Ran 20 miles this morning, in 3hr 3mins 8 secs. Although it was pretty tough near the end, my pace didn't slow too much.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 10 Jan 2016, 9:34 pm

Stella - that's a really impressive distance and time. Well done! clap Looks like you are on target for an excellent marathon time.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:54 am

Cheers corporal.

I'm still looking 4hr 15mins as I'm bound to tire in the latter stages. I'm thinking 12 min miles for the last 5-6, though if I can grind out another few miles before the race, I could improve on that.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:06 pm

10 miles late morning (1:29:43). Total elevation gain c570 feet, spread across six shortish climbs. Forget to take raisins which may have contributed to rather sluggish couple of miles towards the end. Overall, quite pleased with time, which was nearly three minutes quicker than when I did same route one week ago.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:07 am

Sounds like you're in great form corporal.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:19 pm

My second fastest parkrun today - 25.45 (and a PB at our local parkrun).  Only six places behind the local MP's dog. Wink

Two weeks until Chichester 10k race. How are others' training regimes going?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 24 Jan 2016, 5:52 pm

Good run corporal OK

I went for a 21 mile run yesterday afternoon. I ran 20 miles two weeks ago, and felt ok, but yesterday for some reason was bloody tough, especially the last three-four miles. I don't know if I hit the wall, or brushed it? Still, I clocked 3hr 12 mins, which was a pleasant surprise considering how slow I must have ran the last few miles.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm

Wow, Stella. clap clap Very impressive distances you've been notching up - and an excellent time. Are you taking enough to replenish energy levels during the run?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 25 Jan 2016, 7:21 am

A quick question for you running experts. Is it normal to find running indoors on a treadmill much more difficult than running outdoors? When i say more difficult i mean in terms of times for specific distances but also the level of tiredness. When i was a bit younger i used to run a lot outdoors and also completed one marathon. Now i am trying to get back in shape but remain disappointed by the times and level of progress that i have made so far.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 25 Jan 2016, 11:37 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Wow, Stella.  clap clap   Very impressive distances you've been notching up - and an excellent time.  Are you taking enough to replenish energy levels during the run?

Cheers.

I think it may have been the lack of food before my run, looking back on it? I take two gels out with me plus water, which should be ample. What to eat before a run is something 'living in italy' might be able to advise me on.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 25 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

At 21 miles you are indeed in "wall" territory , Stella.

The fact that you ended up 3 h 12 as against 3 h 3 for one mile less two weeks back , despite struggling for the last few miles , suggests to me that you were probably running just that little bit faster earlier in the run; and it took a toll on you.
I wouldn't worry : the fact that you've done that run will stand you in good stead later .
Reckon you're well on track for your target time.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 25 Jan 2016, 12:56 pm

alfie wrote:At 21 miles you are indeed in "wall" territory , Stella.

The fact that you ended up 3 h 12 as against 3 h 3 for one mile less two weeks back , despite struggling for the last few miles  , suggests to me that you were probably running just that little bit faster earlier in the run; and it took a toll on you.
I wouldn't worry : the fact that you've done that run will stand you in good stead later .
Reckon you're well on track for your target time.

Thanks Alfie for the positive words. Yes, my mile per minute time was a little quicker, which suggests I ran the first 17 odd miles in a better time. I don't know how long those last four or so miles took but it felt like I was running about 11-12 minute miles.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm

The beauty of these long training runs , apart from the direct training effect , is that they enable you to feel how a particular pace affects you over substantial time...
Since when you actually contest the race you will be benefiting from sensible rest in the last week as opposed to heavy training (I consider the taper a very important part of the marathon programme) you should be able to maintain your optimum long distance pace for the extra miles over and above your longest training distance. And these runs will help you to establish that pace.

When is the race day ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:33 pm

I did read that you should do your last long run a couple of weeks before the race, and limit your other runs to gentle jogs more than tempo runs.
The race is on Monday the 2nd of May.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:51 pm

Blimey you're doing well ... up to 21 miles this long before the race ! I never ran that far until the last couple of months .
Certainly don't want to do a long one closer than two weeks before ; though I'd recommend some quite fast running in the penultimate week - over much shorter distances of course ! The last few days should be jogging and eating Smile

Keep us posted on the build up ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 25 Jan 2016, 2:44 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:A quick question for you running experts.  Is it normal to find running indoors on a treadmill much more difficult than running outdoors? When i say more difficult i mean in terms of times for specific distances but also the level of tiredness.

I used to think treadmills were easier. As the continually moving belt kind of 'creates' momentum and, unless you change programme, it's always flat (no hills which are hard on the way up and not fully compensated for on the way down) and even (not up and down over curbs and knackered paving etc).

However, since I got more serious about running (nothing compared to some of the folk here but, when not injured, 1 to 2 runs a week) I found I could never match my pace over distance on a treadmill versus outdoors. Swear I could run 5k tomorrow at a (slow, as I'm still niggly) 27-28mins but I'd be looking at 29 minutes on a treadmill.

Post workout fatigue is difficult to measure as I stretch much more thoroughly at the gym......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum