The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 8 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 8 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella Sun 21 Feb 2016, 8:10 am

Good luck with the race today, corporal OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 8 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 21 Feb 2016, 6:43 pm

Thanks, Stella.  Tunbridge Wells HM was a fantastic event - very well organised and marshalled, scenic, lots of spectators. Local girl, Kelly Holmes, started the race off and then herself ran it, starting right at the back and gradually working her way through the field, sharing banter and encouraging the runners.

I got my tactics badly wrong - should have listened to the advice on this site! Wink I ran a cracking pace for a good while, doing 48.48 for first 6 miles. (So if it had been a 10k race I could almost certainly have speeded a fraction and got another 10k PB.) But I then started to struggle quite badly, even dropping down to 12.06 for the 12th mile, which included several periods of walking.  I regrouped for the last mile but not enough to get under 2 hours.  Finished with chip time of 2:00:39.

After a bit of initial disappointment, I'm now not too displeased with the time, since I know what went wrong and with improved tactics and more training I should be able to get below 2:00:00. It also confirmed my recent improvements at 10k.  Finally, I beat my 10 mile time. I had done one 10 mile race (end December) at 1:27:37.  My Garmin for today's race showed 1:27:10.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 21 Feb 2016, 6:57 pm

Sounds like you're running as well as ever, corporal. You going to enter another one with less hills and bash that 2 hrs.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:12 am

Sounds like a bloody brilliant time to me, Corporal, well done!!

Tactics are all very good before/after the event, very hard to master during it - as we've both found!!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:36 am

Well done Corporal clap

You'll have better pace judgement next time and shouldn't have much trouble getting substantially under two hours.

You obviously enjoyed it anyway so a good day all round thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:40 am

Have signed up for the Bradford 10k run on 13th March in aid of Epilepsy Action (British Epilepsy Assocation). Don't know anyone afflicted with it, my sign up fee will count as my donation but was wanting to do one of these runs last year and then broke my foot. Figured now was as good a time as any to get back into it. Am aiming to finish it between 45-50 mins (weather and wind permitting...it's Bradford, everywhere's windy and even the flat bits seem to be uphill). Sadly not old enough to be considered a senior and stand a chance of my time looking respectable due to my advancing years

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:49 am

Nice one Dave! That'll be a good time, mate. You and the corporal should have a race sometime!!!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:26 am

Stella wrote:Nice one Dave! That'll be a good time, mate. You and the corporal should have a race sometime!!!
Much like my efforts at having a wee in the night, my aim is likely to be way off.

I'll be happy with the following...

Waking up in time for the start
Not injuring myself during the warm-up
Not finishing last.
Not tripping up in front of my family/people who might know me/people from the press (or just anyone with a camera..so that's everyone)
Not having to be carried across the finish line embarrassing myself, my wife and children.
The finish line still being there when I get back and they haven't all packed up and gone home
Not having to run on the pavement because it's taken so long they've open up the roads to traffic again.
It starting to get dark before I've finished (it starts a 9am)
Not getting a special mention for being the runner with the skinniest legs/worst gait/funniest out-of-breath face
Not having a Paula Radcliffe moment

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:13 pm

Dave - Lol - I'd be likely to beat you on skinniest legs!

Anything under c50 mins in a typical 10k and you're likely to finish in top half.

Thanks TopHat. Yesterday was first time I'd experienced what was probably *the wall*. Weird, disorienting feeling, legs like jelly, not obeying commands from brain! Can really sympathise with your experience of getting caught with nothing in tank miles from home.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm

Alfie - thanks! I'd certainly hope to get below 2 hours before too long. My Garmin pacing read out from yesterday looks like I had stopped for a decent tea break!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

Just read that about 700 people have applied for this run with the possibility of 1000 turning up on race day so surely to God there must be ONE of them who's in worse physical condition that me

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:25 pm

Me and a mate ran the Boscombe 10k about 10 years ago, and were 2nd and 3rd last, thanks to my out of shape mate I hasten to add. We were saved from being last by an old man, who must have been 80.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:53 pm

According to my cousin on Facebook, my bloody uncle (62 now, I think) just ran 4 races in 2 days - including an 8k AND a half marathon yesterday! FFS!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:00 pm

An inspiration to us all, tophat!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

There was me feeling pleased that I had run two races (plus a parkrun in the middle) in 15 days....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm

Here's me feeling pleased that I'm still considering going for a run after I finish work and not sitting at home on my ar$e for a few hours whilst my wife and kids visit the in-laws

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 22 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Here's me feeling pleased that I'm still considering going for a run after I finish work and not sitting at home on my ar$e for a few hours whilst my wife and kids visit the in-laws

Could always take the opportunity offered by an empty house to have a vigorous w*nk. Won't help you complete a 10k but surely couldn't hurt (unless you use exfoliating gloves).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 22 Feb 2016, 9:23 pm

Great Time Corp, congrats.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 Feb 2016, 9:28 pm

Thanks LLCN. I was so bad in second half that I must have been quite reasonable in the first! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm

superflyweight wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Here's me feeling pleased that I'm still considering going for a run after I finish work and not sitting at home on my ar$e for a few hours whilst my wife and kids visit the in-laws

Could always take the opportunity offered by an empty house to have a vigorous w*nk.  Won't help you complete a 10k but surely couldn't hurt (unless you use exfoliating gloves).  
Went for a run instead, burned up the same amount of calories and ended up just as sweaty but with less guilt attached.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 11 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm

10k race in Knole Park, Sevenoaks on Sunday.  It's off road and rather hilly so I don't expect any PBs.  But it is very scenic location around the grounds of stately home with deer pottering hither and thither - and calling parakeets making an infernal racket! Wink

As I'm running on Sunday I will be volunteering rather than running at parkrun tomorrow.  

How's everyone else getting on with their running?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Mar 2016, 3:58 pm

Doing the Bradford 10k this Sunday. Ran seven miles on Monday in just under an hour then slipped on a patch of wet leaf mulch coming out of Halifax Police Station a couple of days ago and have pulled the muscles in the back of my left leg and my ar$e cheek. Bloody sore and I stink of "Deep Heat"

Still going to do the run but now have a built in excuse for not coming first (my daughter is convinced I'm going to win despite the fact she sees me every day and knows what a shambling pathetic wreck of a human being I am).

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 11 Mar 2016, 4:30 pm

Interesting timing for a necro-post, Corporal, as I've just signed up to my new local ParkRun - Grovelands in North London.

First outside run since Xmas but I've felt fine in the gym the last couple of weeks and really need to get back in to it. Anything sub-30mins will do for now!

Dave - best of luck in the 10k! 7 miles in 60 mins sounds pretty impressive to me!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Mar 2016, 4:45 pm

It's not particularly flat where I live so the uphill slog tends, I think, to balance out the downhill bits when I think I'm doing well. This run on Sunday is more or less flat for the majority of it and I was aiming for about 50 minutes...that's pretty much down the sh!tter now and I'll be satisfied with finishing before the let the traffic start using the main roads again...or Wednesday!

Sadly I'm only 44 so I'm still too young to qualify for the Senior's race where my time may be looked upon more favourably

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 11 Mar 2016, 4:48 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Doing the Bradford 10k this Sunday. Ran seven miles on Monday in just under an hour then slipped on a patch of wet leaf mulch coming out of Halifax Police Station a couple of days ago and have pulled the muscles in the back of my left leg and my ar$e cheek. Bloody sore and I stink of "Deep Heat"
Doh You're in good company, Dave.  Many an elite sportsperson has done all the rigorous 1000s of hours training without mishap - and then somehow manages to slip a disc getting out the bath on the eve of the big race / match .....

Well done for signing up to parkrun, Tophat.  I see the course is all on tarmac - probably quite a fast one.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Mar 2016, 5:08 pm

Keep seeing all these footballers covered in multi coloured gaffer tape and wonder if I should strap my ar$e up in a similar manner....taking it off again may proof more painful than the original injury though!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Mar 2016, 10:30 am

10k completed in 46:07.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 13 Mar 2016, 11:42 am

Well done mate. Nice to see you can make it out of the kitchen without ending up in the ICU.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

It was touch and go mate. Had four cans and a few vodkas last night

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun 13 Mar 2016, 8:43 pm

DAVE667 wrote:10k completed in 46:07.

Jay-sus, that's probably the world record for running 10km with a live chainsaw in your hands.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Mar 2016, 8:53 am

Galted wrote:

Jay-sus, that's probably the world record for running 10km with a live chainsaw in your hands.
Had to veer off course to catch a few stragglers so in all likelihood I did about 11km

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 10:12 am

Bloody brilliant time (I'd say), well done Dave!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 10:13 am

Needless to say my Park Run didn't happen....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:27 am

Well done Dave - excellent time for 10k.

I came home in 56:31 for the Knole Park 10k yseterday. That was perhaps a couple of minutes slower than I had hoped.  But the "elevation gain" of the course is about 432 ft so it's quite challenging. In fact only one of the c470 runners came in at under 40 minutes - so it's definitely not a PB course.  Also, my Garmin showed the distance as about 6.5 miles, so I am wondering whether this year the course was maybe a few hundred metres longer than it should have been.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:45 am

Wow, that is hilly! Elevation gain on the (renowned hilly) GNR was the same but over double the distance!!

Think those trackers always have a bit of tolerance in them, haven't yet found mine has tracked me identically to the course markers.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:51 pm

My word, you're a dark horse clap
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 14 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm

My running has come to a big fat b...rd halt. My knee is still playing me up. I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago, and was prescribed anti inflammatory tablets, as she thinks it's tissue inflammation. I'm not so sure.

It feels a bit better but these pills are also pain killers, so until I come of them, which is Wednesday, i won't know.

To say it's frustrating is a massive understatement.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Mar 2016, 5:37 pm

Hard luck, Stella. That does indeed sound really frustrating! I hope you are soon on the mend.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Mar 2016, 9:12 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Well done Dave - excellent time for 10k.

I came home in 56:31 for the Knole Park 10k yseterday. That was perhaps a couple of minutes slower than I had hoped.  But the "elevation gain" of the course is about 432 ft so it's quite challenging. In fact only one of the c470 runners came in at under 40 minutes - so it's definitely not a PB course.  Also, my Garmin showed the distance as about 6.5 miles, so I am wondering whether this year the course was maybe a few hundred metres longer than it should have been.
Where I live and with the run that I usually do, according to my Endomondo tracker/app the total ascent is 531 ft and total descent is 522ft. Not sure what it means but it's quite hilly. On Sunday, according to the same app, the total ascent was 253ft and total decent 249ft. Clearly much flatter but I beat my PB by a full five minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 15 Mar 2016, 10:10 am

Stella wrote:My running has come to a big fat b...rd halt. My knee is still playing me up. I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago, and was prescribed anti inflammatory tablets, as she thinks it's tissue inflammation. I'm not so sure.

It feels a bit better but these pills are also pain killers, so until I come of them, which is Wednesday, i won't know.

To say it's frustrating is a massive understatement.

Have the same dilemma. Started running again but the knee/leg was agony afterwards. The more tired the leg gets; the heavier it lands... compounding the shock waves. It has nearly been 9 years since the multiple breaks and I still feel a mild pain constantly even when not running. Need to strengthen the ligaments around the knee and accept that there will always be muscle/nerve damage there.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 15 Mar 2016, 9:25 pm

DAVE667 wrote:  Where I live and with the run that I usually do, according to my Endomondo tracker/app the total ascent is 531 ft and total descent is 522ft. Not sure what it means but it's quite hilly. On Sunday, according to the same app, the total ascent was 253ft and total decent 249ft. Clearly much flatter but I beat my PB by a full five minutes.

If you are regularly doing runs that climb a total of 500+ ft that sounds like some tough training that's buiding up enough stamina to counteract the liquid refreshment (at least for the time being Erm )

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:59 am

I'm giving serious consideration to moving up to a 10 mile race at some point in the next few months so giving up the beer is an absolute must. Not sure when I'll get time to regularly run 10 miles when I have work and 2 small kids but we'll see how it goes

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:25 am

What's your commute like to work, Dave?

Mine is now 10 miles so would make a good training run if I ever got back into running that far again.

Happy to stick to cycling for now though.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:27 am

DAVE667 wrote:I'm giving serious consideration to moving up to a 10 mile race at some point in the next few months so giving up the beer is an absolute must. Not sure when I'll get time to regularly run 10 miles when I have work and 2 small kids but we'll see how it goes

I have to (when I'm fit) get up really early to get a long run in. It was inconvenient but was the only way.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2016, 1:41 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:What's your commute like to work, Dave?

Mine is now 10 miles so would make a good training run if I ever got back into running that far again.

Happy to stick to cycling for now though.....
It's about a 20 mile round trip but with two kids in Nursery and cr*ppy shifts it's easier to drive than try running too and from work. Besides, I can't be sat feeling all hot and knackered at work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2016, 1:45 pm

Stella wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I'm giving serious consideration to moving up to a 10 mile race at some point in the next few months so giving up the beer is an absolute must. Not sure when I'll get time to regularly run 10 miles when I have work and 2 small kids but we'll see how it goes

I have to (when I'm fit) get up really early to get a long run in. It was inconvenient but was the only way.
Wife starts work early so I have to be there to get the kids up and ready so to get a good run in I'd have to be getting up at 5am to go for a run...f*ck that for a game of soldiers. Also, even though I've been with her for eight years, I still enjoy spending time with her so going out for a couple of hours when I get home doesn't work for me either.

I'll have to do what running I can and hope that sheer bloody-mindedness (and my God given natural Northern toughness) gets me round the rest of it

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 17 Mar 2016, 9:04 am

Well done Dave clap

Close to the the "good"end of your target time , I see ; so I'd imagine you are pretty happy with that.

Onwards and upwards from here...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

Cheers Alfie. I'm quite pleased given the hangover I ran with and the pulled muscle in my backside. Had I been fit and sober I think I may have cracked 45 minutes or maybe I'm just talking rubbish. Think there's another 10k near me in a few weeks, I'll have to check the course and see what it's like for elevation but I might make a more determined effort this time round and see if I can do better

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 17 Mar 2016, 2:04 pm

12.4 in two weekends dave. Don't you reckon that might get the police involved?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2016, 6:02 pm

Nah, they're more interested in Shannon Briggs' efforts to secure a fight with Haye, Fury or Joshua and whether him shouting a lot has upset the Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum