The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 8 - Will Rojer need the Vasselin for his Lipsky? Will Kontinen's collide?

+21
HM Murdock
Jahu
kingraf
Belovedluckyboy
It Must Be Love
CAS
LuvSports!
Guest82
laverfan
ZZ
Chazfazzer
summerblues
Henman Bill
bogbrush
banbrotam
Danny_1982
temporary21
Born Slippy
YvonneT
sirfredperry
JuliusHMarx
25 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

US Open Day 8 - Will Rojer need the Vasselin for his Lipsky? Will Kontinen's collide? Empty US Open Day 8 - Will Rojer need the Vasselin for his Lipsky? Will Kontinen's collide?

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:11 pm

Order of play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 8 - Will Rojer need the Vasselin for his Lipsky? Will Kontinen's collide? Empty Re: US Open Day 8 - Will Rojer need the Vasselin for his Lipsky? Will Kontinen's collide?

Post by sirfredperry Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:23 pm

Isner's got the short straw with the scheduling. Be it the AO or the USO, Rog rarely loses a night match. It's even worse if the Konta match goes on a long time. Fed doesn't like late-night finishes and tends to tear through matches if he finds himself in danger of burning the midnight oil.
Murray's had his scare and should see off Anderson. Stan should be too much for Young. Berdych-Gasquet is intriguing, but I'm tipping Tomas.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 8 - Will Rojer need the Vasselin for his Lipsky? Will Kontinen's collide? Empty Re: US Open Day 8 - Will Rojer need the Vasselin for his Lipsky? Will Kontinen's collide?

Post by YvonneT Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:42 pm

Yeah, you'd think that is the USTA wanted to help the American players, they'd have put Isner against Fed during the day, and Young against Wawrinka in the evening. Presumably other factors outweigh that.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:51 pm

I would have thought Isner has a better chance at night. His bullet serves are uneffected by conditions and it should give him slightly more shot at getting to a few of Fed's. Add in his poor conditioning for hot conditions and the fact the NY crowd is more likely to be raucously patriotic at night and I think it suits him much better.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm

I guess maybe - though I would be surprised if the crowd are raucously patriotic.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:57 pm

Cant NOT put Isner Federer as the marquee match.
If Rogers back IS playing up, then this might not be so simple

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

Azarenka really is a quality player. Is she in the other half of the draw to Serena? She's the only player I could see making a final competitive.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 5:34 pm

Yeah I like Azarenka too. She's the one who stands up to Serena and goes toe to toe with her. Not intimidated in the slightest. Makes their matches fun to watch.

Is Federer injured? Where has that story come from? He's looked anything but injured so far.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 5:50 pm

Reports were he had some sort of stomach bug and he threw in some slowish serves against Kohli. I doubt there is anything to it but we should get a better idea tonight.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 07 Sep 2015, 5:58 pm

The real meat starts now!! No idea of any early scores if they've started

Lepchenko v Azarenka  - Aza to annoy a few more her detractors on these boards, by winning in straights. May the grunting go on a bit longer laughing

Wawrinka  v Young  - I've not been that convinced by Stan. Unlikely to be beaten, but if he puts a pre-slam winning performance in, as he sometimes does. Could be in trouble. But I think he'll win in 4

Stosur v Pennetta - Sam's the, er, (wo)man. Three sets though

Kvitova v Konta - Unless Kvitova is still unfit, then she wins in straights

Isner v Federer  - If Andy and Novak can't break Fed's serve, goodness knows why anyone has any faith in one of the worst returners on the tour Whistle Roger in straights

Lisicki v Halep - Arguably the tie of the day. Halep's prone to a poor performance and Lisicki's has to be most maddening inconsistent female player. Halep in three

Anderson v Murray - Armstrong's faster conditions, make it even harder for Anderson to return or get to balls that Murray makes him retrieve. Of course if old moody chops (Andy, in case you're wondering  Wink ) has a thirty minute sulk, whilst he mutters to himself about the court been different (i.e. like 2012 against Lopez) then it could be interesting. Andy in 3

Berdych v Gasquet  -Big opportunity for Gasquet to go some way towards Top 8, O2 qualification and I expect him to win in straights. Berdych's static game that now comes with a strange passiveness (Murray's ex coach?) when he's off it - is just what Richard needs. Gasquet in 4.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:04 pm

Good to see one of my predictions has already come true!! Go Aza! Go!

P.S. I honestly hadn't looked at the scores, been too busy working

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm

You're right banbro, the question is whether Fed can do what's not been done since 2013 and break Big John at the USO.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:23 pm

Fed's unlikely to break Isner more than once or twice. The danger for him is one poor service game early on and then maybe losing a tiebreak in the second. The likelihood is he will find a way through a tiebreak in the first and then win something like 75 64 thereafter.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

Stan looking decent today. This should be three easy sets barring a real loss of concentration.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

Basically, pathetic by Wawrinka.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm

Wawrinka re-applying himself now after not bothering at the end of set 2.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:40 pm

Getting feisty - both players aiming at the other at the net. Stan back in control though.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:42 pm

That Lisicki v Halep match has 3 hours written all over it.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

Born Slippy wrote:That Lisicki v Halep match has 3 hours written all over it.

Yep! Important meeting with my director tommorow and I'll just end up agreeing to whatever he wants as I'll be too knackered to argue - given that Andy will probably take four hours Rolling Eyes

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 07 Sep 2015, 8:21 pm

I have an important meeting with customers tomorrow; the Fed match will thankfully render me too tired to be bothered pointing out how wrong they are.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 07 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm

Dammit Sabine!!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 8:41 pm

Heat rule in effect in the ladies match. 3 hours might be optimistic.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 07 Sep 2015, 8:43 pm

Not surprising Stan is in a winning position although actually thought it would be even easier than this, maybe straights.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm

It's another night in the pub! guinnessguinness

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 07 Sep 2015, 9:02 pm

Will be interested to watch Federer tonight. Based on the 10 minutes highlights of each of his other matches, his serve is not exactly booming but his groundies seem fully operational. He is showing some good reflexes on returns but often dumps them back middle middle. I think this will work OK against Isner who will struggle with the low balls because of his height and only moderate technical ability. However I think Federer's returns are going to need to get better (deeper) as (if) he goes through the tournament.

It's questionable whether the tournaments organisers should even be biased in favour of a home player in the first place. Night matches slow things (I believe?) down which may not suit Isner (?). Federer will just get the end of his racket on enough serves and put enough in play with low balls and Isner will not quite do well enough.

As long as Federer can get serves back in play and not give away easy forehands, he should win this match. If Isner sneaks set 1, it could be a completely different story, it becomes a 50/50 match, but most likely is Fed in 4 (or 3) possibly winning the last set 6-2 or 6-4 as Isner runs out of gas.

Isner has done better at minor tournaments. I think he has fitness issues at the slams. While Federer might like to keep matches short against Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, and tend to lose if it goes to a fifth set physical grind, here you would actually fancy Fed as the superior physical specimen in a best of 5. Look at Isner's record in slams. Not beyond R3 this year. Not beyond R4 in the last 4 years. Just one solitary QF, at US 2011, according to his wikipedia article. His masters record in BO3 is full of SF and F and he has won 10 250s.

While Isner most notably won a marathon 5th set at Wimbledon, he was barely walking at the end, and on other less storied occassions, has looked tired in matches at times. Admittedly he hasn't expended much energy to get here this year, cruising through his matches, but I still think his best chance is to roll through the match quickly, and I think he really needs the 1st set. After that, maybe he can rely on Roger playing badly, which is always a possibility.

Against big servers, Roger often starts slow but later gets a read (this happens even against players whose game he knows well). I see a very tight first set, maybe TB, but if Roger wins it I think with the tension reducing and starting to get a read on the serve I think he can go on to win further sets without the need for a tiebreak.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 9:18 pm

Well done Halep. Will get cleaned out by a fresh Azarenka in the QF but really good fighting display.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 07 Sep 2015, 9:18 pm

Kevin the first real test for Andy (Andy's earlier round struggles notwithstanding).  This should tell us where Andy stands.

If Roger plays well, Isner should not be a big problem, but Roger looked shaky against Kohli.  Got broken twice and had plenty more 0-15 and 15-30 service games.

Hopefully Gasquet beats Berdych.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:00 pm

Murrats gonna go a set down here I think. He's not hit 2nd gear yet

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:07 pm

Kevin misfiring a lot but Andy fails to take advantage and Kevin holds.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:12 pm

Both players looking good in this match. Anderson's backhand return looking very strong.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:27 pm

Anderson looking very very dangerous here. Murray's playing great behind his own serve but making no impact currently on return.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:42 pm

I've a feeling this is andersons day. For some reason I think I might be isners too

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:49 pm

Really cruel on Murray to have the chair umpire tell people to sit down between first and second serve. Could still cost him this set.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:53 pm

As I suspected. To slow out of the blocks in the  Tb. Never ever looks good in any to he ever plays. I think he's had it

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm

Anderson playing the set of his life there. That half volley pick up at 5-5 in the tiebreak was just insane. 27 winners from Anderson. Only 3 errors from Murray - who is being anything but passive.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm

This feels like Anderson vs Nole at Wimbledon. Kevin is quite clutch in TBs.

Murray should be kicking himself for not breaking early at 2-1. He was never going to get a weaker service game from Anderson than that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:55 pm

Supersonic forehand from Anderson takes the set. He played brilliantly (especially on the backhand), but I don't think he'll keep it up. Murray'll probably come back to win in 4.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:56 pm

If murray can pick up the 2nd. This could be a classic. Disappointing from the view of a murray fan but I cannot complain about the quality

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:57 pm

That TB was he who dares Rodney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:57 pm

No offence Temp but what in the world are you watching? Murray looks very good here. With the shadows now giing from the court he is surely going to start to get more looks at the Anderson serve.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:03 pm

Oh dear. Murrays not riding this wave well at all

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:04 pm

Unbelievable this from Anderson. Playing shots he shouldn't have the skills to hit.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:04 pm

Well he's just been broken.  Story of the match an okay ish drop shot but in trouble through double faults. He's letting Anderson play here

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:05 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Murray - who is being anything but passive.
I have seen him more passive than this for sure, but he is not exactly aggressive either.  Anderson far the more aggressive of the two.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:07 pm

I think this match is over... Andersons playing well but andys beaten better than this. He's just been terrible in the clutch.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:08 pm

1 double fault in the entire match. Three unreal points from Anderson to break. The kick serve/drop shot combo was extremely smart tactical play. Can't legislate for Big Kev to suddenly have Fed level hand skills on the lob. Just got to hang in this set and surely Kev can't keep this level up.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm

Over?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm

temporary21 wrote:I think this match is over... Andersons playing well but andys beaten better than this. He's just been terrible in the clutch.

I do not think it is over (and I think you know it and are jinxing a bit too Wink). Murray needs to stay in this and hope that Anderson's level drops - it probably will.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm

summerblues wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:Murray - who is being anything but passive.
I have seen him more passive than this for sure, but he is not exactly aggressive either.  Anderson far the more aggressive of the two.

Yeah, sure. Anderson is red-lining every shot and 99% are going in. He's obviously being more aggressive as that's the only way he can win. Murray is actually playing a superb match here. Note the switch to SV in this game. Even if he loses this he is playing a great match.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 07 Sep 2015, 11:13 pm

1 HUGE double. Gifting the tb momentum.  I don't think andersons gonna drop his level, he's looking regal and murray needs to shelve his  1st week game and take it to him. Right now

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next