The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

+15
jimbopip
Irish Londoner
marty2086
JonnyEdinburgh
The Great Aukster
cakeordeath
thebandwagonsociety
George Carlin
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
EWT Spoons
Notch
RDW
SecretFly
Chunky Norwich
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield - Page 2 Empty Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

The Guinness PRO12 Final will be broadcast live on TV by Sky Sports and other broadcast partners to be confirmed once finalists are known. Details were announced today at a media conference at Edinburgh's iconic Castle in the city centre.

Announcing Edinburgh as the chosen host city, CEO of PRO12 Rugby John Feehan said: "Edinburgh is well known as an inspiring host city for sports, arts & cultural events. The BT Murrayfield Stadium is a super venue for the GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"We invited offers from all 12 clubs & their regions to host the Final. The tender from Edinburgh was outstanding and was unanimously agreed as the chosen venue.

"Our competition is truly unique. 12 Clubs, 4 Unions, 1 Trophy - we are delighted to be able to work with our partners to promote the variety of fantastic international destinations that the GUINNESS PRO12 has to offer.

"We look forward to working with all our partners in staging a festival of rugby where fans from all four of our countries will enjoy a memorable Final and a great weekend in Edinburgh."

Dominic McKay, Scottish Rugby's Director of Commercial Operations, Communications and Public Affairs and Board Director of GUINNESS PRO12, said: "We are extremely pleased that our bid was successful and we have the privilege of hosting such a prestigious Final.

"Bringing the match to Scotland and BT Murrayfield in Edinburgh is a great way to grow the tournament and our focus will be on attracting a record crowd for a PRO12 final, which for the first time is being held outside of Ireland.

"We want to celebrate the climax to the season by welcoming fans from all GUINNESS PRO12 clubs to the Final, to what promises to be a fantastic sporting event."

Paul Bush OBE, VisitScotland's Director of Events, said: "We are delighted that BT Murrayfield has been selected to host the 2015-2016 GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"Scotland is the perfect stage for events and fans coming to Edinburgh in May can expect some fantastic rugby in Scotland's national stadium right in the heart of Scotland's unique and vibrant capital city."

Rory Sheridan, Head of Sponsorship - Europe, Diageo commented: "Edinburgh is a dynamic exciting city that has hosted a number of showcase international events in recent years and we believe BT Murrayfield Stadium will be a fantastic venue for the GUINNESS PRO12 Final.

"As Title Sponsor of the PRO12, Guinness has been fully behind and supportive of the decision to nominate Edinburgh as host and we look forward to working with the events team and our partners in the trade to deliver a memorable event for rugby fans."

David Jordan, Tournament Director of PRO12 Rugby, added: "We have been working with all our clubs to build the PRO12 rugby brand and the announcement today is another important step in showcasing our fantastic competition to a larger attendance.

"Our last six Finals were truly memorable rugby spectacles and, building on this success, we look forward to welcoming fans to Edinburgh for what will be a fantastic rugby weekend."

Further news on the 2016 GUINNESS PRO12 Final will be continually updated on www.pro12rugby.com and also on @PRO12rugby, the PRO12 Twitter page, and the Pro12Rugby page on Facebook.

Tickets for the Guinness PRO12 Final will go on general sale next Tuesday 15 September (from 12 noon) from scottishrugby.org. Tickets are priced at £20, £30, £35, £45 (Adults) and £10, £15 (U18s)
Read more at http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/17794.php#zFxvum7ZM7o2YEfA.99

Thread edited by RDW

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

Post by LordDowlais Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:08 pm

I love going up to Glasgow and sitting in Georges Square in the morning just soaking up the city whilst waiting for everybody to get ready to catch the train to Edinburgh. I usually sit there with a steak slice just out of the oven from the Greggs shop on the far corner of the square.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro 12 Final to be held at Murrayfield

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

Lord, next time get your brekkies from Wee Guys, diagonally opposite Queen Street, it's the best fry up in Glasgow.
RDW, if only one of the Scots sides make it will you welcome us grudgingly and get us half-cut?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:27 pm

jimbopip wrote:
RDW, if only one of the Scots sides make it will you welcome us grudgingly and get us half-cut?

Ha - I'm sure we could come to some arrangement!

My back garden could easily hold a 4 man tent.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:40 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Ha - I'm sure we could come to some arrangement!

My back garden could easily hold a 4 man tent.

But they'd have to bring their own tent right? ...and drinks...and food....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:56 pm

"Hello, you'll have had your tea?"
Indeed

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Sep 2015, 6:00 pm

Have you not heard of the new music festival coming to Edinburgh?

You'll have had your T-in the park!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 08 Sep 2015, 6:39 pm

It's not that I think its good because it is an opportunity to make more money out of it. My argument has nothing to do with money whatsoever- its purely logistical. My argument is it's fantasyland to expect such an event can be organised in such a short space of time. And it cannot be moved back without affecting preparations for the international rugby window. It's also incredibly unfair on away supporters to expect them to arrange travel and accommodation with just a weeks notice. 50% of the tickets not on general sale for the Final go to visiting supporters- and this has always been the case. It is a shared event between the two best teams in the league and the matter of home advantage is less important than making it a memorable event for everyone and a great showcase for the league.

In fact, this idea about earning home advantage is a complete red herring. Just because it was adopted when it was the only way the league could guarantee a decent crowd for the Final doesn't mean it should always be the case It's not the case with the Top14 or the Aviva Premiership. In those games they are played in a large neutral stadium. We have four nations not one so the fairest solution is if the Final rotates through each of the countries in a stadium which is deemed to be of an appropriate size.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:00 pm

Notch wrote:It's not that I think its good because it is an opportunity to make more money out of it. My argument has nothing to do with money whatsoever- its purely logistical. My argument is it's fantasyland to expect such an event can be organised in such a short space of time. And it cannot be moved back without affecting preparations for the international rugby window. It's also incredibly unfair on away supporters to expect them to arrange travel and accommodation with just a weeks notice. 50% of the tickets not on general sale for the Final go to visiting supporters- and this has always been the case. It is a shared event between the two best teams in the league and the matter of home advantage is less important than making it a memorable event for everyone and a great showcase for the league.

In fact, this idea about earning home advantage is a complete red herring. Just because it was adopted when it was the only way the league could guarantee a decent crowd for the Final doesn't mean it should always be the case It's not the case with the Top14 or the Aviva Premiership. In those games they are played in a large neutral stadium. We have four nations not one so the fairest solution is if the Final rotates through each of the countries in a stadium which is deemed to be of an appropriate size.

I agree entirely.

Hoping for a big turnout which can only increase the prestige of our league.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:24 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:30,000 runners. Many with family.

Lets hope you're right.

Chunky, the Marathon is a small event by Edinburgh standards, we've just finished the Festivals, loads of them, and that means an extra 250k to 400k people in town every night for three weeks. That's busy a marathon and the final, even sold out, will barely register.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm

justified sinner wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:30,000 runners. Many with family.

Lets hope you're right.

Chunky, the Marathon is a small event by Edinburgh standards, we've just finished the Festivals, loads of them, and that means an extra 250k to 400k people in town every night for three weeks. That's busy a marathon and the final, even sold out, will barely register.

Good stuff Whisky

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:43 pm

So Edinburgh and Glasgow have the targets on their backs Very Happy

Great news for both Edinburgh and Glasgow. A benefit for Edinburgh whatever happens, and for Glasgow should they reach the finals. I absolutely love Edinburgh, and will make a point of being there for the final. It will be a great day for all.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:43 am

jimbopip wrote:Lord, next time get your brekkies from Wee Guys, diagonally opposite Queen Street, it's the best fry up in Glasgow.

Is that the one with a really strict woman with curly black hair ? I have been in there if it is, in fact we go there all the time when we are up there, and every time we try to order a Budwieser off the menu with our breakfast, and every time she would give us a bollocking for it. laughing

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:03 am

LordDowlais wrote:I love going up to Glasgow and sitting in Georges Square in the morning just soaking up the city whilst waiting for everybody to get ready to catch the train to Edinburgh. I usually sit there with a steak slice just out of the oven from the Greggs shop on the far corner of the square.
LD is one of us. I KNEW it. Very Happy

Not a word of a lie - I was having afternoon tea with Mrs GC and the Inlaws at the Atmosphere lounge in the Burj Khalifa last month and I found myself comparing the pineapple cakes to the ones that Greggs on Queen Street used to sell. And not favourably, I might add.

And compared to the ones upstairs at Bradford's on Sauchiehall Street, they were bloody terrible.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:04 am

LordDowlais wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Lord, next time get your brekkies from Wee Guys, diagonally opposite Queen Street, it's the best fry up in Glasgow.

Is that the one with a really strict woman with curly black hair ? I have been in there if it is, in fact we go there all the time when we are up there, and every time we try to order a Budwieser off the menu with our breakfast, and every time she would give us a bollocking for it. laughing

Are you referring to the blonde waitress? You obviously know her much better than I do.

And you will constantly get bollocked for making the social faux pas of ordering Bud at breakfast; Bud is a lunchtime tipple, it's Buckfast at Breakfast in God's own city.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:16 am

jimbopip wrote:And you will constantly get bollocked for making the social faux pas of ordering Bud at breakfast

We just saw it on the menu and thought we would have one with our fry up. But she flat refused to serve us one and made us all have coffee or tea. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:30 am

Mind you my Lord, about thirty years ago I was in a pub (pub not cafe) in Gateshead with my mother and future wife when I spotted Exhibition Ale on draught. Being an ale anorak I knew you can only get this on draught in a 10 mile radius of the Newkkie Brown brewery so having ordered drinks for the ladies I asked for a pint of Exhibition.

"Have you tried it before, pet?" said the concerned, maternal barmaid.
"No, but I've heard about it."
"AH, but it's strong like."
" So, I'll have a pint then. Thanks."
"No. I'll tell you what bonny lad. I'll let you have a half and we'll see how you get on.Mind, it's strong like."

When I went back to the table the future MrsPip asked if I was uwell, just having a half pint, and why was that woman behind the bar staring at me.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:41 am

jimbopip wrote:When I went back to the table the future MrsPip asked if I was uwell, just having a half pint, and why was that woman behind the bar staring at me.

Laugh

We have these people here in the valleys as well. There is a pub that some of the Welsh members might know, called The Star. It is in Talybont on Usk, a village right in the heart of the Brecon Beacons national park. You go in there and it is full of old men with big beards, a real backwater pub. They sell a lot of there own ales and the what not and is well known for going up and trying to drink every ale on the chalk board.

Anyway, as teenagers/young twenty year olds, we went up there and asked, What is the strongest beer you have ? The landlady answered, Old Warty Knob. We all laughed our heads off, then asked for a round of them, then all of a sudden all the locals started laughing at us. She made us drink the lesser ales to see how we handled them and told us we could have a pint of Old Warty Knob before we left.Boy was it strong.

Anyway always love Newcastle, I have family in that city, and when I go up there we always used to go to the nightclub on the Tyne, it is a boat and it has a revolving dance floor. It's nightmare to get off and not smack into somebody.Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:53 am

Laugh Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2