The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis? - Page 3 Empty US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 09 Sep 2015, 9:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Order of play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis? - Page 3 Empty Re: US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

Post by bogbrush Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:26 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I reckon Djokovic in 3 or 4, and Wawrinka in 4 or 5.

Possible final combinations
Most likely: Djokovic vs Wawrinka: I think Wawrinka edges it but depends on resilience and stamina of Djokovic.
Then: Djokovic vs Federer: Djokovic in four or five.
Then: Cilic vs Wawrinka: I think Wawrinka in four or five.
Then: Cilic vs Federer: Federer in three or four.

Not unreasonable. BUT if Federer is on song he will beat Stan like a dog. In the end, peak Federer even at 34 beats peak Stan.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis? - Page 3 Empty Re: US Open Day 10 - Is Penetta the Flavia of the month? How much does Vandeweghe? Is Dellacqua fortis?

Post by bogbrush Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I think along those lines, though unlike the switch hit this genuinely takes away a lot of time so you've got to be all there. I really don't see this being tried by the ordinary players, though doubtless it's already all the rage at club level.

I hit an absolute belter a couple of weeks ago!
Oh you and your Wii exploits!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:30 pm

I think if Federer doesn't have a god serving day, Wawrinka clubs him like a baby seal. Three quickish uneventful sets. I'd go,
Wawrinka 4
Djokovic 3

I hope,
Wawrinka 3
Cilic 5

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

I think the switch I
Hit is harder to do. More ways it can go wrong plus if you make a mess. You're out and that's it

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

I think the quicker surface will mean Stan won't win in 3 like he did at the FO.
Feds in 4 for me.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 10 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm

I think this is important. Time on the ball is critical to Stan, Roger will be looking to rush him.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 10 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm

Stan has beaten Federer on clay and played him toughest on the slowest hardcourts like IW. Fed really should have an advantage if Ashe is playing as quick as he says it is. Stan has big grip changes and big swings. He needs his timing.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 10 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm

barrystar wrote:
TRuffin wrote:http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2015-09-09/an_interview_with_stan_wawrinka_quarterfinals.html?promo=next_interview

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2015-09-09/an_interview_with_roger_federer_quarterfinals.html?promo=previous_interview

Interesting both - they obviously know the match is up for grabs.  Stan is very good-natured about dealing with a series of questions which were far more about Fed than about him, as well as an unsubtle reference to the Kirgios nonsense.  I also thought that Fed dealt very deftly with the left-field question about the clumsy police treatment of Blake.

It's a pretty good spotlight on their relationship I think.. Fed is like the proud big brother. Seen him grow, feels he helped stan along the way as well, happy for his success but, of course, wants to remain on top.

Stan is the little brother who idolizes the big brother-- greatest ever, great guy, shared luthi and Pierre with me,etc... but also has that little brother chip on his shoulder that wants to prove he is as good as big brother "he realizes I can play at his level"... It could be a real battle.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 8:37 pm

The women's matches are postponed until Friday

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:07 am

bogbrush wrote:temp - actually it is SABR
I find the term cringe-worthy with any spelling. Why did the media have to rush to give it a name - and so cheesy one at that?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:13 am

I am surprised how highly people rate Stan's chances - it almost reads here as if he is better than 50/50 against any of the remaining possible opponents.

I think he has a chance, but I think he is the underdog against either Roger or Nole.  I would not mind if he lifted the trophy though.  Obviously I would prefer Federer, but if he does not win, then definitely I would want Wawrinka far more than either Cilic or Nole.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:16 am

It is pretty odd that Cilic is quite possibly the toughest opponent that Nole has faced up until now.  The guy has never beaten Nole, and has never done anything except for last year's USO.  I hope he somehow finds the USO 2014 form for one match.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:17 am

Scheduling for tomorrow is not the brightest - with men's matches now starting at 5pm, but on the positive side it means I will be able to see Federer - and maybe even some of Cilic vs Novak.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 11 Sep 2015, 7:57 am

summerblues wrote:
I find the term cringe-worthy with any spelling.  Why did the media have to rush to give it a name - and so cheesy one at that?
I think it came out as a jokey reference within Federer's team which inevitably US media in particular got very excited by. It's horrible, what's wrong with half-volley return?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 11 Sep 2015, 7:59 am

Federer will be disappointed by the weather forecasts, with conditions looking like being on the slower side. He really needs those hot conditions to keep things pingy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 11 Sep 2015, 12:01 pm

bogbrush wrote:
summerblues wrote:
I find the term cringe-worthy with any spelling.  Why did the media have to rush to give it a name - and so cheesy one at that?
I think it came out as a jokey reference within Federer's team which inevitably US media in particular got very excited by. It's horrible, what's wrong with half-volley return?
Because 'HVR' doesn't exactly sound like an exciting Star Wars weapon does it.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 11 Sep 2015, 1:06 pm

I knew f*cking Disney would be behind this!!! mad
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 11 Sep 2015, 1:24 pm

HVR does however, sound like another rubbish buddy droid from Star Wars.
It would probably be a henry hoover that, I dunno eats force powers or something stupid...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum