The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Beattie. Brain injury.

3 posters

Go down

John Beattie.  Brain injury. Empty John Beattie. Brain injury.

Post by MrsP Tue 22 Sep 2015, 10:24 am

John Beattie presented a program on brain injury in rugby on the beeb last night.

It is available on iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06drxgq/panorama-rugby-and-the-brain-tackling-the-truth

Time to follow suit from NFL and change the tackle laws?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

John Beattie.  Brain injury. Empty Re: John Beattie. Brain injury.

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Sep 2015, 10:33 am

I thought this was going to be an article about his rugby commentary.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 22 Sep 2015, 10:37 am

I think the research done on the effects of his commentating style is not robust enough for us to draw any conclusions at the moment.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Sep 2015, 10:59 am

Joking aside this is an extremely important area of research. I went to a talk given by Rory Lamont last year on exactly this topic, and some of the practices he described re: concussed players being sent back out to play was pretty shocking. He was also pretty damning on the new protocols, saying they didn't go far enough.

There's a line here isn't there. A bit like boxing and ski jumpers, I think rugby professionals have to accept a level of physical risk. The other side of the coin is that everything that can be done, without fundamentally changing the sport, should be done.

It's a tricky area. I remember leaving the talk wondering how all the recommendations could be implemented without rugby becoming a touch sport.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 22 Sep 2015, 11:06 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:There's a line here isn't there. A bit like boxing and ski jumpers, I think rugby professionals have to accept a level of physical risk. The other side of the coin is that everything that can be done, without fundamentally changing the sport, should be done.

This is key. There is an inherent risk - but it needs observers to assess when the level of risk to any individual player has crossed the line of what is acceptable.

First thing that needs to be done is ensuring there is no "cheating" on the benchmarking tests used for the pitchside concussion assessments. All pro rugby should have independent medical assessors at games.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down