The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:38 am

First topic message reminder :

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Wallab10   Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Wales_13
AUSTRALIA v WALES
10 October 2015
KO: 16:45
Twickenham, London

Live on [tbc]

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Touch judges: Jérôme Garcès (France) & Stuart Berry (South Africa)
Television match official: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

A. Head to Head

38 Played 38
27 Won 10
1 Drawn 1
10 Lost 27
897 Points 590

B. Recent Form

8 November 2014
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
28 – 33 Australia

30 November 2013
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
26 – 30 Australia

1 December 2012
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
12 – 14 Australia

23 June 2012
Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney
20 – 19 Australia

16 June 2012
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
25 – 23 Australia

9 June 2012
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
27 – 19 Australia

3 December 2011
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
18 – 24 Australia

21 October 2011
Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand
21 – 18 Australia

TEAMS:

AUSTRALIA
Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Yvonne10
I Folau; A Ashley-Cooper, T Kuridrani, M Giteau, D Mitchell; B Foley, W Genia; S Sio, S Moore, S Kepu; K Douglas, D Mumm; S Fardy, S McMahon, D Pocock.

Replacements: T Polota-Nau, J Slipper, G Holmes, R Simmons, B MCCalman, N Phipps, M Toomua, K Beale.

WALES
Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Erinri10
G Anscombe; A Cuthbert, G North, J Roberts, L Williams; D Biggar, G Davies; P James, S Baldwin, S Lee; L Charteris, AW Jones; S Warburton, J Tipuric, T Faletau.

Replacements: K Owens, A Jarvis, T Francis, J Ball, R Moriarty, Ll Williams, R Priestland, J Hook.

*************
The pool decider.

Damn those boys in the Canary yellow shirts look good, really good. Going through top of the pool Wales would be likely to meet Japan or Scotland...! Go through second and we meet a refuvinated Bok side.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down


Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by rodders Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 am

RubyGuby wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
The Loaded Dog wrote:Also the reaction from Brown after Hooper's overeager clean out. Seemed like a clean punch to the head? Like how the subsequent replays conveniently stopped just short of that.

I thought he'd thrown a punch too, but as you say, we didn't get to see it a second time.

It was a definite swing, dont think it contacted though but intention was clearly there.  

I agree he missed him, I think he Swung Low thumbsup

Tough crowd.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by SecretFly Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:01 am

A guy come in on me like that and I'd punch not to miss too. Yeah, I'd get a ban but so what? The only game left is Uruguay.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by boomeranga Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:13 am

maestegmafia wrote:Y
boomeranga wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
boomeranga wrote:I think the Wallabies will go full tilt at the game but I expect three changes with Horne, Giteau and Hooper all unlikely in my (uninformed) view.

If Hooper goes I'd expect McCalman to come into 8 with Pocock to 7, and young McMahon onto the bench.  McCalman is lower impact than Hooper with the main bonus being in the line out.  McMahon is a really exciting prospect that has been excellent against tier 2 teams but hasn't yet had an impact against a team of Wales calibre.

Probably Mitchell for Horne, with Speight and Tomane the other available candidates.  Each of these three potentially offer a greater attacking threat but are also more likely to offer up opportunities in defence or a case of the dropsies.  Mitchell adds a better kicking game.

I think Gits, even if not actually injured, might be rested.  He's 33 now and took some punishment in that game.  I'd expect them to add Toomua at 12 and maybe a winger or Quade to the bench.  Roberts will be important as all our options give a fair bit of size to him.


Good to read your thoughts on it mate..!

As I mentioned in a previous post changes to this wallaby side don't really weaken it, there is class throughout the squad.

Gatland eluded to "mixing it up a bit" in interview yesterday. Not sure anyone knows what he means buy that, we don't have many options to mix due to our blight of injuries.

Hoping things look better than we predict. It's going to need a monumental effort for Wales to get any points from this fixture.

Gday Maes,  I reckon you're right that it won't weaken us too much but for me it's more because we aren't really quite as good as we are looking after the weekend.  Hooper and Gits would be a loss, but I think in the outside back, where we are traditionally good, we are not all that flash really.  Personally I thought may, Watson and brown looked more dangerous than our guys did but ... and let me savour this ... Our pack was good!

I remember writing an article after Ireland pulled our pants down last time how I was embarrassed that we got beaten up, again, for the umpteenth time like we would never learn.  I felt very proud of our pack on the weekend.

Anyways, good luck for the game.  I've been following Samson's recovery on here for months and am nervous he's back.  After all these years I think we deserve to bask in the glory of a solid scrum for more than a week!


Mate you can have your day in the sun, you guys should proud of that pack. Haven't seen a wallaby pack do that to England anywhere for a very long time.

Giteau and Folau are a big omission but Beale would be an ample replacement at the back... 

Still waiting on the Hooper trial result... Hearing started an hour ago. No verdict published yet

No Folau makes it interesting Maes. I didn't know about him being out. He Pocock and Hooper are easily our best players imo, and he and Poey are the only two we have that influence the way other teams play us. Big loss if he's gone.

boomeranga

Posts : 793
Join date : 2011-06-07
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:40 am

SecretFly wrote:A guy come in on me like that and I'd punch not to miss too.  Yeah, I'd get a ban but so what?  The only game left is Uruguay.


He did it the game before too. I think he would have been in a lot of trouble by the England fans if he had missed the Australia match...

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:41 am

boomeranga wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Y
boomeranga wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
boomeranga wrote:I think the Wallabies will go full tilt at the game but I expect three changes with Horne, Giteau and Hooper all unlikely in my (uninformed) view.

If Hooper goes I'd expect McCalman to come into 8 with Pocock to 7, and young McMahon onto the bench.  McCalman is lower impact than Hooper with the main bonus being in the line out.  McMahon is a really exciting prospect that has been excellent against tier 2 teams but hasn't yet had an impact against a team of Wales calibre.

Probably Mitchell for Horne, with Speight and Tomane the other available candidates.  Each of these three potentially offer a greater attacking threat but are also more likely to offer up opportunities in defence or a case of the dropsies.  Mitchell adds a better kicking game.

I think Gits, even if not actually injured, might be rested.  He's 33 now and took some punishment in that game.  I'd expect them to add Toomua at 12 and maybe a winger or Quade to the bench.  Roberts will be important as all our options give a fair bit of size to him.


Good to read your thoughts on it mate..!

As I mentioned in a previous post changes to this wallaby side don't really weaken it, there is class throughout the squad.

Gatland eluded to "mixing it up a bit" in interview yesterday. Not sure anyone knows what he means buy that, we don't have many options to mix due to our blight of injuries.

Hoping things look better than we predict. It's going to need a monumental effort for Wales to get any points from this fixture.

Gday Maes,  I reckon you're right that it won't weaken us too much but for me it's more because we aren't really quite as good as we are looking after the weekend.  Hooper and Gits would be a loss, but I think in the outside back, where we are traditionally good, we are not all that flash really.  Personally I thought may, Watson and brown looked more dangerous than our guys did but ... and let me savour this ... Our pack was good!

I remember writing an article after Ireland pulled our pants down last time how I was embarrassed that we got beaten up, again, for the umpteenth time like we would never learn.  I felt very proud of our pack on the weekend.

Anyways, good luck for the game.  I've been following Samson's recovery on here for months and am nervous he's back.  After all these years I think we deserve to bask in the glory of a solid scrum for more than a week!


Mate you can have your day in the sun, you guys should proud of that pack. Haven't seen a wallaby pack do that to England anywhere for a very long time.

Giteau and Folau are a big omission but Beale would be an ample replacement at the back... 

Still waiting on the Hooper trial result... Hearing started an hour ago. No verdict published yet

No Folau makes it interesting Maes.  I didn't know about him being out.  He Pocock and Hooper are easily our best players imo, and he and Poey are the only two we have that influence the way other teams play us.  Big loss if he's gone.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/australia-superstar-israel-folau-major-10203166

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by SecretFly Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 am

Yeah. Not talking about Brown though. Talking more about that mad hit by wild-man Hooper. I'd have reacted with a fist too....

Two wildmen - there was I suppose always going to be a clash in a game bristling as it was and those two on the park.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 am

Hooper is on a one week ban having pleaded guilty to dangerous play in the England game.

Apparently Rob Horne also has a sick note...!

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by chris_501 Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:49 am

I would imagine that Beale, Mitchell and McCalman will come in for Folau, Horne and Hooper. Although may go for McMahon in the back row as a bold pick.

Will slightly change aspects of their game, although none considerably weaken them. I've always liked Mitchell, bit of a better wing to bring in than Cuthbert!

chris_501

Posts : 548
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by chris_501 Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:51 am

SecretFly wrote:Yeah.  Not talking about Brown though.  Talking more about that mad hit by wild-man Hooper.  I'd have reacted with a fist too....

Two wildmen - there was I suppose always going to be a clash in a game bristling as it was and those two on the park.
 
I think he spotted it was Brown in that ruck and made a long run to missile into him. Could have been very nasty, not that I would advocate dangerous play against Brown ......Whistle

chris_501

Posts : 548
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:51 am

Chris_501 wrote:I would imagine that Beale, Mitchell and McCalman will come in for Folau, Horne and Hooper. Although may go for McMahon in the back row as a bold pick.

Will slightly change aspects of their game, although none considerably weaken them. I've always liked Mitchell, bit of a better wing to bring in than Cuthbert!


Man for man I don't think we have many Welsh players that would top the current wallabies in their current form.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by SecretFly Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:53 am

Doesn't look as though Cheika is fussed about winning this? Not saying he won't drive his side to win, but seems to be relaxing into the confident mood that he'll knock out anything that faces him in the quarters.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by RubyGuby Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:55 am

I don't know Maesteg, when you put the teams side by side I can't see 1 Australian getting into our first XV

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Posts : 7404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:44 am

RubyGuby wrote:I don't know Maesteg, when you put the teams side by side I can't see 1 Australian getting into our first XV

thumbsup


The fact none of them are Welsh Qualified would I guess prevent any of them actually getting in.

They are pretty good players though.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:47 am

I SecretFly wrote:Doesn't look as though Cheika is fussed about winning this?  Not saying he won't drive his side to win, but seems to be relaxing into the confident mood that he'll knock out anything that faces him in the quarters.


Fair enough...!!!

Both Wales and Australia beat the likely quarter finalists from pool b last time those teams met so I guess Wales and Australia can have some confidence there.

Unless Japan qualify ahead of the scots then Wales could be in trouble. We haven't beaten Japan in two and a half years...

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:31 am

I do think Australia are confident they will just beat anyone in front of them but I still expect them to go for the win, it's in their psyche
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 am

RubyGuby wrote:I don't know Maesteg, when you put the teams side by side I can't see 1 Australian getting into our first XV

thumbsup

Not one would get into the Wales team Wink.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12535
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:32 am

chris_501 wrote:I would imagine that Beale, Mitchell and McCalman will come in for Folau, Horne and Hooper. Although may go for McMahon in the back row as a bold pick.

Will slightly change aspects of their game, although none considerably weaken them. I've always liked Mitchell, bit of a better wing to bring in than Cuthbert!

I was relieved to hear the Wallabies had those players out at first, but that was short-lived as I realised their replacements are also very good players...

Yeah I agree, Mitchell is an awesome winger. Right now, probably ten times better than Cuthbert.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12535
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by GavinDragon Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:53 am

41-9 to Australia, our scrum has been woeful and the Aussies are on fire at the moment

GavinDragon

Posts : 2574
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 34
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:56 am

All the squad are fit for selection. 

That's a first this tournament...!

Team to be announced on Thursday with Howleys interview praising Tyler Morgan's performance against Fiji possibly alluding to his claiming the 13 shirt...!so what you guys think Gatland will go for?

I think he'll go for..!

Geth Baldwin Lee
AWJ Davies
Lydiate Faletau Warburthon
Davies Biggar
Roberts Morgan
North Williams Cuthbert

reps
Owens, James, Francis, Charteris, Tipuric, Williams, Priestland, Anscombe

I saw a few people had considered Anscombe at fullback and Williams on the wing instead of Cuthbert? And there is the option of North at thirteen which did work well against the Australians in Nov 2013.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:58 pm

That either means we're starting Tyler at 13 or Howley is playing mind games. Personally I'd swap Tyler and George around.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12535
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by Dontheman2 Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Only way to use Cuthbert is to petrify him and stick him on the wing and hope somebody runs into him

Dontheman2

Posts : 116
Join date : 2014-09-05

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Dontheman2 wrote:Only way to use Cuthbert is to petrify him and stick him on the wing and hope somebody runs into him

I've always laughed when people say chuck his/a mobile phone into his opposite guy's hand and then Cuthbert will be hard again Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:10 pm

maestegmafia wrote:All the squad are fit for selection. 

That's a first this tournament...!

Team to be announced on Thursday with Howleys interview praising Tyler Morgan's performance against Fiji possibly alluding to his claiming the 13 shirt...!so what you guys think Gatland will go for?

I think he'll go for..!

Geth Baldwin Lee
AWJ Davies
Lydiate Faletau Warburthon
Davies Biggar
Roberts Morgan
North Williams Cuthbert

reps
Owens, James, Francis, Charteris, Tipuric, Williams, Priestland, Anscombe

I saw a few people had considered Anscombe at fullback and Williams on the wing instead of Cuthbert? And there is the option of North at thirteen which did work well against the Australians in Nov 2013.

I'd start Charteris instead of Davies but yeah that's what I think he will start with. There have been few suggestions about who plays 13 and 14/15 depending on where he plays William but I can't see anything too drastic off Gatland right now and despite Cuthberts defence unless you put Williams on the wing none of the other options are brilliant anyway.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by chris_501 Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:All the squad are fit for selection. 

That's a first this tournament...!

Team to be announced on Thursday with Howleys interview praising Tyler Morgan's performance against Fiji possibly alluding to his claiming the 13 shirt...!so what you guys think Gatland will go for?

I think he'll go for..!

Geth Baldwin Lee
AWJ Davies
Lydiate Faletau Warburthon
Davies Biggar
Roberts Morgan
North Williams Cuthbert

reps
Owens, James, Francis, Charteris, Tipuric, Williams, Priestland, Anscombe

I saw a few people had considered Anscombe at fullback and Williams on the wing instead of Cuthbert? And there is the option of North at thirteen which did work well against the Australians in Nov 2013.

I'd start Charteris instead of Davies but yeah that's what I think he will start with.  There have been few suggestions about who plays 13 and 14/15 depending on where he plays William but I can't see anything too drastic off Gatland right now and despite Cuthberts defence unless you put Williams on the wing none of the other options are brilliant anyway.

When you look at that team, it's 12 from 15 of the team that would have been selected at the start of the competition if we had zero injuries to Welsh players. It's just that at 13&14 we are down to 4th choice players.

chris_501

Posts : 548
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by LordDowlais Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:35 am

Tyler Morgan will get eaten alive by the Aussie backs.

LordDowlais

Posts : 14919
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by chris_501 Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 am

LordDowlais wrote:Tyler Morgan will get eaten alive by the Aussie backs.
No other options! If we had Halfpenny or Amos available I would advocate the use of North at 13, but the cupboard is simply too bare. I would have no issue for Hook to start at 10 or 15 if we got down that far, but definitely not 13!

chris_501

Posts : 548
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 am

LordDowlais wrote:Tyler Morgan will get eaten alive by the Aussie backs.

What other options do we have?

We have lost three outside centres. There isn't anyone to bring in.

Other players who have worn the the thirteen shirt either haven't played thirteen at any level for a long time or are playing at twelve...

He had a good game vs Fiji, he shows promise, almost got a try. And if you can defend against that Fijian back line and only concede one try, you'll do ok vs the Bazzers.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:11 am

I don't know about eaten alive but Tyler is a big unit but he does lack a few "soft" skills. My worry is that he's not the fastest over the first 5-10 yards and I think he will be stepped with ease. I thought his hands were poor against Fiji and this is a step up. Hook is not the worse option and he and Roberts know each other well. This is a game where some experience might just be useful and Hook has a useful boot. 9 and 10 pick themselves and I'd probably go with Hook and Jamie with George and Liam on the wings and Anscombe FB.


RubyGuby

Posts : 7404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by GavinDragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:17 am

I do often wonder where this concern for Tyler comes from,

granted he looked all at sea against Ireland, in a scratch side, thrown together with very little preparation.

Against Fiji, save for that poor pop pass into touch, he did fine, made his tackles and some good defensive decisions. What I like about him is he runs straight and fixes his defenders in a way that even Foxy, who usually tries to go on the outside shoulder, doesn't.

Speaking of Jon Davies, anyone remember shortly after he burst on the scene? He publicly came out in the press after one game and said he had to work on his passing. I think Tyler is doing just fine. I think he is adjusting to the pace of the international game - and what a game to have to adjust to against FIji! - and has all the attributes. I am not worried about him facing Aus or South Africa and would resist the temptation to start North at 13. We have far more flexibility by having Hook or Anscombe on the bench.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2574
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 34
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by LordDowlais Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:22 am

RubyGuby wrote:I don't know about eaten alive but Tyler is a big unit but he does lack a few "soft" skills. My worry is that he's not the fastest over the first 5-10 yards and I think he will be stepped with ease. I thought his hands were poor against Fiji and this is a step up. Hook is not the worse option and he and Roberts know each other well. This is a game where some experience might just be useful and Hook has a useful boot. 9 and 10 pick themselves and I'd probably go with Hook and Jamie with George and Liam on the wings and Anscombe FB.


I agree, Hook needs to start against Australia, this game is a notch higher than the Fiji game, and Hook has been there before, Tyler Morgan like Hallam Amos have massive futures infront of them, they are both future mainstays for team Wales, I just think that this is a little too soon for him.

He was found wanting at times against Fiji, and the warm up game against Ireland did him no favours. Hook has played at this level a lot more times than Morgan. We should start with Hook at 13.

LordDowlais

Posts : 14919
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by wales606 Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:22 am

I would be far more concerned with Hook at 13 than Morgan
wales606
wales606

Posts : 10728
Join date : 2011-03-04

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:31 am

That's the beauty of this forum, we can all have differing opinions and to be fair GavDragon has seen Tyler a lot more that the rest of us by the sound of it. At the end of the day we have 1 fella we can trust and that is Gatland so lets enjoy our differences and see where Gats takes us on this roller coaster of a RWC. Amos for me is already a 1st choice.

RubyGuby

Posts : 7404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by GavCanDance Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:38 am

wales606 wrote:I would be far more concerned with Hook at 13 than Morgan

+1

Sorry, but the poorest players for me this tournament have been Hook and Cuthbert. I cringe whenever either player takes to the field.

GavCanDance

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:49 am

LordDowlais wrote:Hook needs to start against Australia... Tyler Morgan was found wanting at times against Fiji, and the warm up game against Ireland did him no favours.

If you're going to judge Morgan on his performances in those games, how can you possibly advocate playing Hook after his performances in those games?

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 24458
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 42
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:54 am

GavCanDance wrote:
wales606 wrote:I would be far more concerned with Hook at 13 than Morgan

+1

Sorry, but the poorest players for me this tournament have been Hook and Cuthbert.  I cringe whenever either player takes to the field.  


Hook hasn't played at thirteen for about six years. He has been a ten at USAP and Gloucester. Defensively he would seriously struggle. Morgan knows the defence patterns, has spent more time with the squad and is a natural outside centre.

Granted experience is valuable, but Morgan is surrounded by players with around fifty caps. I think it is a bigger risk playing Hook out of position than selecting Morgan.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:18 am

I just don't understand anyone advocating Hook in our starting team. You must be seeing something totally different to I.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12535
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by George Carlin Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:32 am

When are the teams out, then?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15052
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by GavCanDance Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:46 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I just don't understand anyone advocating Hook in our starting team. You must be seeing something totally different to I.

Weird isn't it?!  Even the pundits continue to wax lyrical about his 'creativity', 'steady head' and 'great running angles' when all I see are turn-overs, knock-ons and intercept passes.  chin

GavCanDance

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:59 am

George Carlin wrote:When are the teams out, then?

Wales are announcing on Thursday.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 am

GavCanDance wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I just don't understand anyone advocating Hook in our starting team. You must be seeing something totally different to I.

Weird isn't it?!  Even the pundits continue to wax lyrical about his 'creativity', 'steady head' and 'great running angles' when all I see are turn-overs, knock-ons and intercept passes.  chin

Yes I find that very strange. They'll say the same about Gavin Henson even if he had not have played for the past year... And they'll always say it about Priestland if he manages to make a punt to the touchline. That's Jiffy et al for you.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12535
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:31 am

Having read these posts its now destiny that Hook scores the winning try with the conversion by Priestland right in front of the posts going in off the upright to clinch it.

RubyGuby

Posts : 7404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:42 am

I think Ruby's point suggests the critics keep their powder dry until after the game lest they end up with egg on face.

Valid suggestion. It's always so embarrassing when you declare a player to be crap and he goes on to get a MOTM award. "Yeah? Well,..... he still knocked on once, didn't he. So that kinda tarnishes his tree tries, four assists and two drop goals, doesn't it!"

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by TightHEAD Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 am

I hope Hook plays.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Posts : 6118
Join date : 2014-09-25
Age : 59
Location : Brexit Island.

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:46 am

Hook won't be getting MOTM and if he is even in the 23 after recent performances then I'll be very surprised, because even Gatland isn't that stupid.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12535
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by offload Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:48 am

RubyGuby wrote:Having read these posts its now destiny that Hook scores the winning try with the conversion by Priestland right in front of the posts going in off the upright to clinch it.

Laugh
Anything can happen in sport, but I won't be betting the price of a plastic bag on that outcome!
offload
offload

Posts : 2290
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 104
Location : On t'internet

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by TightHEAD Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:50 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Hook won't be getting MOTM and if he is even in the 23 after recent performances then I'll be very surprised, because even Gatland isn't that stupid.

Everyone is aware that Hook is Howley's adopted son right?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Posts : 6118
Join date : 2014-09-25
Age : 59
Location : Brexit Island.

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:57 am

If as reports say everyone available is fit then hopefully Hook won't be anywhere near the 23 and if he is then it will be bench at best.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:00 am

Having just seen the team there are a lot of people who are going to be disappointed tomorrow afternoon - Fair play to Warren he never fails to bring some excitement to the table.

Interesting fact though how quiet both camps are - It's just not Aus. and Gats isssit Munnn!

RubyGuby

Posts : 7404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by wales606 Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:03 am

RubyGuby wrote:Having just seen the team there are a lot of people who are going to be disappointed tomorrow afternoon - Fair play to Warren he never fails to bring some excitement to the table.

Interesting fact though how quiet both camps are - It's just not Aus. and Gats isssit Munnn!

Really? Don't see how there can be too many shocks
wales606
wales606

Posts : 10728
Join date : 2011-03-04

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:04 am

No one mentioned anything about many shocks - calm down this is the welsh site

RubyGuby

Posts : 7404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum