The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland v Samoa, 10 October

+71
Cambo
BigGee
Imperialbigdave
Heaf
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
EnglishReign
brennomac
Rory_Gallagher
nathan
VinceWLB
glamorganalun
carpet baboon
whocares
SecretFly
JDizzle
LeinsterFan4life
kingraf
Eejit
wales606
Duty281
maestegmafia
tigertattie
Pal Joey
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
eirebilly
Sgt_Pooly
highland_scot
Fanster
Notch
AirHOrse
Nematode
Mad for Chelsea
Tattie Scones RRN
screamingaddabs
Seagultaf
rodders
fa0019
Biltong
Totalflanker
RubyGuby
reallybored
Cyril
IanBru
demosthenes
madmaccas
jimbopip
lostinwales
TJ
21st Century Schizoid Man
flyhalffactory
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
des
Majestic83
Prothero
funnyExiledScot
Shifty
bsando
RuggerRadge2611
GLove39
Hazel Sapling
InjuredYetAgain
Margin_Walker
R!skysports
MacKnocked-on
RDW
cakeordeath
George Carlin
75 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Scotland v Samoa, 10 October - Page 15 Empty Scotland v Samoa, 10 October

Post by George Carlin Sun 04 Oct 2015, 9:06 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Samoa, 10 October - Page 15 Scot_f10    Scotland v Samoa, 10 October - Page 15 Samoa_12
SCOTLAND V SAMOA
10 October 2015
KO: 14:30 BST
St. James' Park, Newcastle

Live on ITV

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Touch judges: JP Doyle (England) & Marius Mitrea (Italy)
Television match official: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)

A. Head to Head

9 Played 9
7 Won 1
1 Drawn 1
1 Lost 7
218 Points 122

B. Recent Form

8 June 2013
Mr Price Kings Park, Durban, South Africa
27 – 17 Samoa

23 June 2012
Apia Park, Apia
16 – 17 Scotland

27 November 2010
Pittodire, Aberdeen
19 – 16 Scotland

20 November 2005
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
18 – 11 Scotland

4 June 2004
Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
3 – 38 Scotland

18 November 2000
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
31 – 8 Scotland

C. Teams

SCOTLAND
Scotland v Samoa, 10 October - Page 15 Gordon10
15 Stuart Hogg 14 Sean Maitland, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Tommy Seymour, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Greig Laidlaw (capt); 1 Alasdair Dickinson, 2 Ross Ford, 3 Willem Nel, 4 Richie Gray, 5 Jonny Gray, 6 Ryan Wilson, 7 John Hardie, 8 David Denton.

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 Jon Welsh, 19 Tim Swinson, 20 Josh Strauss, 21 Henry Pyrgos, 22 Peter Horne, 23 Sean Lamont.

SAMOA
Scotland v Samoa, 10 October - Page 15 Jerry-10
15 Tim Nanai-Williams, 14 Paul Perez, 13 George Pisi, 12 Rey Lee-Lo, 11 Fa'atoina Autagavaia, 10 Tusi Pisi, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i (c); 1 Sakaria Taulafo, 2 Ma'atulimanu Leiataua, 3 Census Johnston, 4 Teofilo Paulo, 5 Kane Thompson, 6 Maurie Faasavalu, 7 Jack Lam, 8 Alafoti Faosiliva.

Replacements: 16 Motu Matu'u, 17 Viliamu Afatia, 18 Anthony Perenise, 19 Faifili Levave, 20 Vavae Tuilagi, 21 Vavao Afemai, 22 Patrick Faapale, 23 Ken Pisi.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Samoa, 10 October - Page 15 Empty Re: Scotland v Samoa, 10 October

Post by R!skysports Mon 12 Oct 2015, 10:36 am

STOP AGREEING WITH ME

it is unnerving

Very Happy

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 12 Oct 2015, 10:38 am

Surely Cowan is now being considered for the 6 jersey this coming weekend; (apart from his line out work) Wilson has been a mistake inclusion in the squad, never mind that he could have been red carded ,it's all the missed tackles and lack of ball carrying etc etc. Cotter seems to particularly rate him for some reason but I would hope that the evidence of his own eyes tells him Wilson has to drop out. Also still waiting for Denton to really produce a big game this WC as well, so maybe Strauss starting at 8.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 12 Oct 2015, 10:52 am

Fraser Brown for me was immense. Heir apparent for Ross Ford is now clear as day. What a classy player.

Dickinson wasn't his usual self after getting nailed by that forearm. Wonder if it will get cited.

Scott a poor game but are we seriously gonna press the panic button and parachute Lamont into 12? picard

Finally I hope that performance can put the Laidlaw criticisms to bed. He was outstanding.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 12 Oct 2015, 9:55 pm

Ford and Ickle Jonny both cited.  Ickle Jonny for a tip tackle and Ford for a dangerous challenge.  I did see the tip at the time but thought it OK just about.  Wonder if any Samoans are getting cited for all those high tackles?

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/13869717/scotland-ross-ford-jonny-gray-cited-ahead-rugby-world-cup-quarterfinal-vs-australia

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 13 Oct 2015, 1:47 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Finally I hope that performance can put the Laidlaw criticisms to bed. He was outstanding.

I don't think he can get away without any criticism if he wants to be seen as top scrum half. As Mr cake said above, while he did have a very good game indeed, there were multiple times in the second half where we had built up momentum and needed quick ball to take advantage of a stretched defence and he didn't react. He needs to be able to mix his game up to suit what is happening in front of him more. For the majority of the second half he controlled the game very well, and deserves huge credit for that and for his try. But if he wants to be challenging the top scrum halves he can't just switch into 'control the game' mode and ignore what is actually happening in front of his eyes.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 13 Oct 2015, 6:02 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Finally I hope that performance can put the Laidlaw criticisms to bed. He was outstanding.

I don't think he can get away without any criticism if he wants to be seen as top scrum half. As Mr cake said above, while he did have a very good game indeed, there were multiple times in the second half where we had built up momentum and needed quick ball to take advantage of a stretched defence and he didn't react. He needs to be able to mix his game up to suit what is happening in front of him more. For the majority of the second half he controlled the game very well, and deserves huge credit for that and for his try. But if he wants to be challenging the top scrum halves he can't just switch into 'control the game' mode and ignore what is actually happening in front of his eyes.

What was happening in front of his eyes! What was happening was our midfield was battered, the 10/12/13 axis was targeted and roundly tucked up like a kipper. He is just one part of a half-back partnership that controls the game, Greg isn't there to be the pivot for the backs, he is there to be the link between our pack, specifically our back-row and our backs, it is Russell who is supposed to be the pivotal inspiration for the backs. Unfortunately Russell had a poor game, Scott had an absolutely dire game and as a result Bennett was always under pressure with absolutely no space. The only option was to use Hardie, Denton and Richie Gray to spear the attack or use the forward driven rolling maul or drive of the pack.

He didn't ignore what was happening in front of his eyes whatsoever.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 13 Oct 2015, 7:34 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:

What was happening in front of his eyes! What was happening was our midfield was battered, the 10/12/13 axis was targeted and roundly tucked up like a kipper. He is just one part of a half-back partnership that controls the game, Greg isn't there to be the pivot for the backs, he is there to be the link between our pack, specifically our back-row and our backs, it is Russell who is supposed to be the pivotal inspiration for the backs. Unfortunately Russell had a poor game, Scott had an absolutely dire game and as a result Bennett was always under pressure with absolutely no space. The only option was to use Hardie, Denton and Richie Gray to spear the attack or use the forward driven rolling maul or drive of the pack.

He didn't ignore what was happening in front of his eyes whatsoever.

Disagree. The period towards the end of the second half where we were camped in their 22. It was very much us doing the battering at that point, the defence was stretched and opportunities were there out wide. That is the specific period I was referring to, and yes I believe he did not react to what was in front of him.

In open play for much of the half I fully agree with you and he played the game that was needed to counter the pumping we were taking in midfield. That doesn't change that we should've scored the decisive try much sooner than we actually did by changing our tactics once we were camped on our line.

Why must we be so forgiving of our players that we accept a good performance without striving for more? Is that the attitude that got the All Blacks to where they are? They are the best in the world because they take the right options at the right time. Thats what I'm looking for from Laidlaw, apologies if that is seen as an unfair expectation

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 13 Oct 2015, 8:26 pm

Agree we were camped but it wasnt due to our midfield it was due to our front five. In open play our backrow made more yardage than our centres and Scott had five opportunities and carried almost as few metres.... So what do you expect Greg to do, whip it out quickly to Finn or wait for Hardie, Denton, Gray to make more of a dent.

As said I think e took the correct options in the main
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 14 Oct 2015, 11:31 am

I'm just watching this game back again, and I hadn't noticed at the time how poor Wilson was, I mean I knew he didn't have a good game, but on the 41st/42nd min he was forearm smashed onto his ar*e and around 50 mins he was part of a break and passed the ball forward and at his supports feet. Strauss replaced him just after that. I really hope Cotter factors this in for the next game.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Oct 2015, 2:07 pm

Wilson was utterly awful against Samoa, and has been completely ineffective each time he's played for Scotland. He isn't strong enough or skillful enough for international rugby.

Along with Strokosch he was a poor choice by Cotter for this World Cup. I said that at the time and nothing has changed my view. Harley and Cowan/Barclay would have been much much better selections.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15