The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who should be next England coach

+78
Welshmushroom
jimbopip
Taylorman
blackcanelion
Artful_Dodger
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
Sin é
kingelderfield
englandglory4ever
jamesandimac
Poorfour
Breadvan
funnyExiledScot
tazfalklands
Student-A1
rozakthegoon
Chjw131
Mr Bounce
mikey_dragon
bigndumb
Cyril
BamBam
Cumbrian
screamingaddabs
Biltong
fa0019
TJ
whocares
No 7&1/2
Gooseberry
PerryGee
Hood83
gregortree
maestegmafia
Shifty
doctor_grey
rosbif
emack2
geoff999rugby
DaveM
Geordie
greenandpleasantland
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
wayne
Barney McGrew did it
hjumpshoe
boomeranga
George Carlin
Happytravelling
WELL-PAST-IT
Sgt_Pooly
offload
nathan
cb
dallym
aucklandlaurie
Gwlad
Pal Joey
wales606
Rugby Fan
majesticimperialman
21st Century Schizoid Man
madmaccas
lostinwales
Rory_Gallagher
king_carlos
Bathman_in_London
hugehandoff
Fanster
LondonTiger
RubyGuby
yappysnap
SecretFly
TightHEAD
beshocked
nlpnlp
82 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

Who should be next England coach - Page 21 Empty Who should be next England coach

Post by nlpnlp Fri 09 Oct 2015, 1:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

I think most of us are agreed that Stuart Lancaster should go as England coach - but who do you want to see get the job?  I think that Stuart Lancaster has proved that you need a coach who has a proven winning track record at the top level of club or international rugby.

Lets not turn this topic into a debate about which players should be in, or Stuart Lancaster's failings, those are valid issues for other topics.  Just who you think it should be and why.

I don't think any English coach has a record of success in the European Rugby Champions/Heineken Cup, or any track record of coaching abroad.  So I would go for an overseas coach and I think we should break the bank for the best 'available' coach, which for me is Wayne Smith.  Assuming Steve Hansen does not want to step down, would Smith be satisfied as being a number 2 for another 4 years?

Simple and short - Who and Why.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Who should be next England coach - Page 21 Empty Re: Who should be next England coach

Post by kingelderfield Sun 15 Nov 2015, 12:26 pm

George Carlin wrote:To what extent do we think that the RFU is obsessed with having a marquee name, as opposed to an excellent quality coach? Quite a few club coaches have been assistant coaches at international level but their name won't be associated with winning a World Cup, etc.

If we're in the marquee name territory, then the shortlist will be very short indeed and the RFU can get on with asking Meyer, Jones, White, Mallett, etc whether they fancy living in a Richmond town house. If the latter, then it bring coaches like Rennie, Blackadder and Daryl Gibson into play.

I hope that they stay away from Gregor Townend, who would actually be excellent in the role. I am confident that he is too young and insufficiently fashionable to be a serious option, however.  

This is the issue and I am sure I am not the only one who is afraid that they are going to make a reactionary appointment.

There is no immediate urgency, they must take there time.

Quite frankly I am coming round to the thought that this is as good a time as any for a club/country reconciliation vis-a-vis the promotion, support and development of english club and country coaching. Why not approach the Epl for the long term good of the game. The more you think about it the more it is a win win for all concerned. Financial support of course will have to be a part of the programme but it will genuinely be for the good of all within the english game that we succeed a national level.

I would propose a panel of rfu/rpl to promote national coaching and forward planning, selection of the next coach. Each club would be a part of the programme protecting themselves from the self interest of others.

p.s I think Mr Townsend is safe for the moment.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Who should be next England coach - Page 21 Empty Re: Who should be next England coach

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 15 Nov 2015, 2:02 pm

kingelderfield wrote:...I am sure I am not the only one who is afraid that they are going to make a reactionary appointment...
Every appointment since Woodward left has been reactionary, which is a point I think Dean Ryan has made.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 15 Nov 2015, 4:15 pm

Nonsense, hire the first big name coach to throw his hat in to the ring and lets be done with it. The sponsors won't wait for ever, and my sherry is getting warm, wat wat.

We can always sack them again in four years time anyway.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sun 15 Nov 2015, 4:45 pm

yappysnap wrote:Nonsense, hire the first big name coach to throw his hat in to the ring and lets be done with it. The sponsors won't wait for ever, and my sherry is getting warm, wat wat.

This is exactly the thinking that worries me.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 15 Nov 2015, 4:49 pm

yappysnap wrote:Nonsense, hire the first big name coach to throw his hat in to the ring and lets be done with it. The sponsors won't wait for ever, and my sherry is getting warm, wat wat.

Surely England should be looking long term rather than looking at 4 years time. But i suppose beggers cannot be choosers.

I just hope that who ever does come in as head coach./ Does make a difference not only to the team, but also the results in terms of winning games rather than trying not to lose games.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:21 am

Okay who wants all my LGO shares as collateral against a bet that Teflon stays in his job?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Nov 2015, 6:00 am

I see that Mallinder gave an interview after the Scarlets match to say that he wouldn't take the job.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 16 Nov 2015, 6:14 am

George Carlin wrote:I see that Mallinder gave an interview after the Scarlets match to say that he wouldn't take the job.
Chris Evans said he wasn't interested in the Top Gear job.

I think many of these statements of intent are genuine but there's often value to be had in playing hard-to-get. Not just in raising your cash price, but letting you dictate the terms and conditions of the role.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 16 Nov 2015, 7:15 am

George Carlin wrote:I see that Mallinder gave an interview after the Scarlets match to say that he wouldn't take the job.

Hopefully he won't be offered it.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Nov 2015, 9:05 am

This thread is getting longer than Danny Cipriani's bar bill, so let's decamp to a new one please:
https://www.606v2.com/t61271-who-should-be-next-england-coach-continued
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21