The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liam Smith World Champion

+3
Pound-for-Pound
Hammersmith harrier
wheelchair1991
7 posters

Go down

Liam Smith World Champion Empty Liam Smith World Champion

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 11 Oct - 10:51

Liam Smith stopped USA's John Thompson in the 7th round last night to win the WBO Light Middleweight belt.

I know some of you on here won't agree with Smith getting a title but I say well done Liam!

Do you see any of the other Smith brothers winning a world strap?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Liam Smith World Champion Empty Re: Liam Smith World Champion

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 11 Oct - 11:36

If Liam can win one then Stephen and Callum can, starting to agree with Truss to an extent, Smith against Thompson for a vacant title is a joke, wonder if Andrade wants his title back.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 11 Oct - 11:42

Hammersmith harrier wrote:If Liam can win one then Stephen and Callum can, starting to agree with Truss to an extent, Smith against Thompson for a vacant title is a joke, wonder if Andrade wants his title back.

Well Stephen smith is now mandatory for the IBF strap against the champion Pedraza, i favour Pedraza in that one just

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 11 Oct - 13:07

Good stoppage by Smith although I think rounds 1-5 show just how easily he'd be outmanoeuvred and outboxed by the top LMWs. Can't see him coming close to beating the Charlo Twins, Willie Nelson or Julian Williams. Lara and Canelo would destroy him. Still think he would really struggle against Soro, possibly wouldn't be champ if that fight had come off.

I don't like the fact that he never faced a top 20 opponent and was then handed a shot at a vacant title against a late replacement who was also not top 20. Don't blame the guy for taking the opportunity offered to him, and props on the victory but winning a world title in any division should be difficult, but especially at LMW where the talent pool is pretty deep.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 11 Oct - 13:34

Pound-for-Pound wrote:Good stoppage by Smith although I think rounds 1-5 show just how easily he'd be outmanoeuvred and outboxed by the top LMWs. Can't see him coming close to beating the Charlo Twins, Willie Nelson or Julian Williams. Lara and Canelo would destroy him. Still think he would really struggle against Soro, possibly wouldn't be champ if that fight had come off.

I don't like the fact that he never faced a top 20 opponent and was then handed a shot at a vacant title against a late replacement who was also not top 20. Don't blame the guy for taking the opportunity offered to him, and props on the victory but winning a world title in any division should be difficult, but especially at LMW where the talent pool is pretty deep.

Lets not forget that the WBO magically overlook Austin Trout for this vacant title fight despite him being above Thompson in their ratings

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 11 Oct - 19:40

Selby....Degale....Brook....Frampton.....McDonnell....

Congratulations to these world champions..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 11 Oct - 20:09

Hammersmith harrier wrote:If Liam can win one then Stephen and Callum can, starting to agree with Truss to an extent, Smith against Thompson for a vacant title is a joke, wonder if Andrade wants his title back.

Yet you and Truss moan and call me and old fuddy duddy when I suggest a one belt era and scrapping the junior divisions.

Smith is as good as a world champion as Brook is in todays world.

Cheers , Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 11 Oct - 20:20

I like the junior divisions until we go as low as122 and I prefer a two belt system..

Brook beat Porter.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 11 Oct - 20:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 11 Oct - 20:27

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like the junior divisions up until 122 and I prefer a two belt system..

Brook beat Porter

And ? Porter isnt the best fighter in the divison. You mention Selby yet the guy he beat was absolutely ordinary. I think we need to look past the tag of world champion these days.

Cheers, rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 11 Oct - 20:31

I agree but I can stomach guys with talent winning alphabets....Not any old garbage...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 11 Oct - 20:59

Is it an actual title he's got then or another interim bollox, i'm losing track now. Good to see Flanaghan win though, especially in such a fashion as a lot of people thought it was gonna be a step to far for him.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 11 Oct - 21:09

It is hard to keep up way who is holding straps these days.

I personally would scrap every junior division apart from Jr welter. And also keep SMW.

Could care less about cruiserweight. It is p1sh.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 11 Oct - 21:40

Derbymanc wrote:Is it an actual title he's got then or another interim bollox, i'm losing track now. Good to see Flanaghan win though, especially in such a fashion as a lot of people thought it was gonna be a step to far for him.

Its an actual title and not an interim.

Cracking win for Flanagan your right, i bet he takes on Derry Matthews next

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 11 Oct - 22:07

Can't wait......

Let's see which chump the alphabet sneaks in it's top 10 for Smith's first defence.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 12 Oct - 14:01

Apparently Smith and Mosley have been going at it on Twitter. Unfortunately I can see that fight being made as his first defence.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Oct - 15:41

Shame we didn't have all these titles 40 years ago......Brave guys who gave their all to win a belt like Johnny Owen and Kiko Bejines would probably still be alive..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 12 Oct - 19:18

Pound-for-Pound wrote:Apparently Smith and Mosley have been going at it on Twitter. Unfortunately I can see that fight being made as his first defence.

disgrace if it happens

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 12 Oct - 19:28

Rodney wrote:

Yet you and Truss moan and call me and old fuddy duddy when I suggest a one belt era and scrapping the junior divisions.

Smith is as good as a world champion as Brook is in todays world.

Cheers , Rodders

I've always been pro one belt Rodney whilst the junior divisions from Light Welterweight upwards do have a place in the sport, the jumps above that were too big without junior divisions.

Brook beat an actual world champion for his title whereas Smith won a vacant belt against a late replacement, the two situations are nothing alike.

Flanagan was quite impressive against Magdaleno who is no mug, legitimises his title a bit.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 12 Oct - 19:34

people will probably say now Magdaleno was rubbish after what Flanagan did to him, however I believe he is a very good fighter who in my eyes beat Rocky Martinez when he fought him no so long back. He was coming up a division but still a very good win for Terry

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down