The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Poll

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Vote_lcap27%Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 14 ]
Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Vote_lcap73%Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 38 ]
 
Total Votes : 52
 

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Steffan Sun 18 Oct - 14:33

Just a simple from a simple poster Smile

Personally I think a another world class coach would be celebrating that victory today against a decent but not great South African team. We never looked like doing anything with the ball in hand and the kicking was very aimless at times. Sacking him would be harsh but sometimes you need to make positive changes even though they can cause disruption

So should Wales stick with the status quo or try and get some fresh blood in to spark things up in the team?

Steffan

Posts : 7853
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 14:39

So you don't want to consider missing 6/7 first choice backs? You think a Wales minus a back line and with 2 near debutants at 13 andd 15 wouldve faired better with another coach?

Who is this wonder coach?

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Steffan Sun 18 Oct - 14:47

Fanster wrote:So you don't want to consider missing 6/7 first choice backs?

Who is this wonder coach?
o
Not sure on who the new coach should be

Missing players is no excuse for fully paid professionals not being able to get the ball out

Just mu opinion though

Steffan

Posts : 7853
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 14:55

Steffan wrote:
Fanster wrote:So you don't want to consider missing 6/7 first choice backs?

Who is this wonder coach?
o
Not sure on who the new coach should be

Missing players is no excuse for fully paid professionals not being able to get the ball out

Just mu opinion though

Well you know what they say about opinions being like don't you?

Imagine any team in world rugby losing 6/7 backline players, they'd be decimated as we were. Even NZ would struggle to replace a backline

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by offload Sun 18 Oct - 15:03

Fanster, you don't seem to entertain the possibility that good as Gatland has been, after 8 years, maybe someone else could move Wales forward? That seems a bit narrow minded.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't sack Garland now, but I do think the WRU should look to add to the coaching team and review what might be needed for the next 4 years.
offload
offload

Posts : 2289
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 104
Location : On t'internet

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 18 Oct - 15:06

Warran Gatland has done nothing wrong neither has his management team. Everything should be left alone.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Posts : 1429
Join date : 2012-08-22

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 15:11

Offload

I agree Howley and McBride need replacing, and I'm not being narrow minded with the view that Gatland and Edwards have, and are doing a cracking job with what they have to work with.

The narrow minded element is looking to sack a coach after a succesfull RWC in which Wales were odds on favourites to go out in the pool stage.

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by JDizzle Sun 18 Oct - 15:18

Not for me. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Unless they have an absolutely world class alternative lined up to replace him then he should 100% be stuck with.

JDizzle

Posts : 5831
Join date : 2011-03-11

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by mxd321 Sun 18 Oct - 15:34

Gatland has taken Wales as far as he can and change is needed.

Yes, Wales have done well in the 6 Nations under Gatland by winning 2 chamionships in 2008 and 2012 (Wales also won in 2013 with Rob Howley in charge while Gatland was preparing for the Lions tour). They also reached a World Cup semi-final in 2011 and a quarter final this year. However, these statistics gloss over some incredible flaws in Wales' game under Gatland. Wales have one game plan under Gatland and that does not work against all the time.

Gatland has coached Wales in 25 games against the big 3 Southern Hemisphere teams and has only come away with 2 victories. His win rate against England, France and Ireland is about 50% - so nothing to set the World alight.

Let's look at the 2011 World Cup. Wales lost to South Africa, scraped passed Samoa, beat Namibia and beat a 2nd string Fiji who were already out of the tournament. They then beat Ireland - who were ranked below them in the World at the time. They then lost to France and Australia. During that World Cup they beat nobody other than the teams form/ranking would have expected them to.

This World Cup, Wales survived the group of death by beating England. Yet again they failed against Australia and South Africa. More worryingly, througout the tournament there was little spark and the tries against England and South Africa were from individual kicks, not from structured play that would have been rehearsed in training.

Much has been made of the injuries Wales had during this World Cup. The pack was at full strength and still got beaten by Australia and South Africa. In the backs, Biggar, North and Roberts would have been starters anyway and Gareth Davies was always above Webb in the pecking order until Davies' injury last season. Remember he was Pro12 player of the season and leading try scorer before that injury. That leaves use with only 3/4 first choice starters not playing not the 7 often stated.

I'm Welsh through and through, but have been worried about Gatland's tactics and persistence with some players for many years. His game works (most of the time) in the Northern Hemisphere, but has always fallen short against SH sides.

mxd321

Posts : 2
Join date : 2015-10-18

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by whocares Sun 18 Oct - 15:35

Right now the grass is greener in Wales as far the NH is concerned. They challenged both Australia and SA after having suffered a freak serie of injuries. Gatland did a very good job in my opinion and you will struggle to find someone close let alone better.
On a side note I was wondering what would have happened if Cuthbert would have been facing Savea in a semi final !

whocares

Posts : 4270
Join date : 2011-04-14
Age : 44
Location : France - paris area

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct - 15:40

No. Gats has got the structures right, the conditioning, the pro environment. That's all spot on. He's brought in some coaches that have got the defence right, the forwards are now decent, scrum could be better but has been decent in the recent past. However, just with a bit of tinkering I think we could be better overall. I think a better backs coach could be brought in, for example, as that's an area we're clearly struggling in.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 15:46

mxd321 wrote:Gatland has taken Wales as far as he can and change is needed.

Yes, Wales have done well in the 6 Nations under Gatland by winning 2 chamionships in 2008 and 2012 (Wales also won in 2013 with Rob Howley in charge while Gatland was preparing for the Lions tour). They also reached a World Cup semi-final in 2011 and a quarter final this year. However, these statistics gloss over some incredible flaws in Wales' game under Gatland. Wales have one game plan under Gatland and that does not work against all the time.

Gatland has coached Wales in 25 games against the big 3 Southern Hemisphere teams and has only come away with 2 victories. His win rate against England, France and Ireland is about 50% - so nothing to set the World alight.

Let's look at the 2011 World Cup. Wales lost to South Africa, scraped passed Samoa, beat Namibia and beat a 2nd string Fiji who were already out of the tournament. They then beat Ireland - who were ranked below them in the World at the time. They then lost to France and Australia. During that World Cup they beat nobody other than the teams form/ranking would have expected them to.

This World Cup, Wales survived the group of death by beating England. Yet again they failed against Australia and South Africa. More worryingly, througout the tournament there was little spark and the tries against England and South Africa were from individual kicks, not from structured play that would have been rehearsed in training.

Much has been made of the injuries Wales had during this World Cup. The pack was at full strength and still got beaten by Australia and South Africa. In the backs, Biggar, North and Roberts would have been starters anyway and Gareth Davies was always above Webb in the pecking order until Davies' injury last season. Remember he was Pro12 player of the season and leading try scorer before that injury.  That leaves use with only 3/4 first choice starters not playing not the 7 often stated.

I'm Welsh through and through, but have been worried about Gatland's tactics and persistence with some players for many years. His game works (most of the time) in the Northern Hemisphere, but has always fallen short against SH sides.

Laugh clap

I needed a good laugh...

So Webb wasn't the form 9 on the planet?

Jon Davies not the starting 13? Scott Williams not challenging foxy or Roberts? Then Scott Williams wasn't the form centre?

1/2p was not first choice FB? Liam williams backing him up AND wasn't first choice wing?

Hallam Amos, Cory Allen weren't then incumbants?

We lost first choice SH, 13, 14 and 15, then lost replacements at 13, 14, and 15, then lost another 13, had a scrum half play n the wing, drafted in 2 injured players, and started a RWC quarter final with 2 novices at 13 and 15 (not key positions at all), then in the Quarter lost 2 more players before SA's winning score...

Lets be honest, we re a leading NH team, who are consistently compeitive to within the odd few points in every game, we have developed as good a pack as anyone in world rugby right now, they beat up Aus, and more than matched SA, our injury crisis is the difference between a semi final and quarter final, of which we were odds on favourites not to get out of the pool...

It's all in the way you tell it though isn't it.

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by glamorganalun Sun 18 Oct - 15:51

Two years ago I said yes but he has brought a pro attitude lacking in the past and at our clubs. I believe Mc Bryde should walk our line out and scrum has been poor for years and McBryde could not hit a bard door when he played, just look at Australia bring in a decent coach now they are hammering England, Wales and Scotland to come.

Even Fiji smashed Wales and we been hammered by Samoa and Tonga under Mc Bryde.

glamorganalun

Posts : 3292
Join date : 2011-05-04
Location : Torfaen

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by wrfc1980 Sun 18 Oct - 15:52

The elephant in the room is the almost total inability of wales to beat SH competition under GATS. 2 wins in 25 is a huge concern. Wales simply are not and never have been real contenders to win the world cup as they find it virtually impossible to beat SH teams. GATS has worked a lot of magic to make wales competitive in the 6 nations but I'm astounded he is rarely questioned over his inability to progress Wales beyond that.

wrfc1980

Posts : 440
Join date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by TJ Sun 18 Oct - 15:52

No

I think gatland may have taken you as far as he can but Wales have not let themselves down nor has he. I think a long hard think about what Wales do next is needed and that is at all levels. You need to be doing better in the Pro 12, you need to look at structures and most importantly is there a better coach out ther? Is it just the guys under him that need changing? Is Gatland capable of learning the lessons and moving Wales on a step? Is the limited gameplan and limited attacking options Gatlands fault? the players fault? Were the injuries that critical?

TJ

Posts : 7943
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 16:02

wrfc1980 wrote:The elephant in the room is the almost total inability of wales to beat SH competition under GATS. 2 wins in 25 is a huge concern. Wales simply are not and never have been real contenders to win the world cup as they find it virtually impossible to beat SH teams. GATS has worked a lot of magic to make wales competitive in the 6 nations but I'm astounded he is rarely questioned over his inability to progress Wales beyond that.

Well technically it's not 2/25, it's 5/29 but the story isn't as bad if you don't include Argentina, or come to think of it the PI nations...

What do you want them to progress beyond? Do you really think Wales are, or ever have been world champs? The closest we've got has been under Gatland, we have 3 6N championships in 7 years, and our first win at Twickenham came after what 25 years came under him,.

What more can people possibly want? We are in a great place, lets enjoy being competitive before getting too big for our boots and whinge about not winning world cups!

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct - 16:04

TJ wrote:No

I think gatland may have taken you as far as he can but Wales have not let themselves down nor has he.  I think a long hard think about what Wales do next is needed and that is at all levels.  You need to be doing better in the Pro 12, you need to look at structures and most importantly is there a better coach out ther?  Is it just the guys under him that need changing?  Is Gatland capable of learning the lessons and moving Wales on a step?  Is the limited gameplan and limited attacking options Gatlands fault?  the players fault?  Were the injuries that critical?

I think this World Cup is showing that we ALL (6 nations teams) need to have a long hard look at ourselves. We've ALL failed - Scots aside for now, but I'm not that confident for them v Aus. Is Schmidt capable of learning the lessons? England? Scotland???

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by wrfc1980 Sun 18 Oct - 16:05

You are deluded if you think wales are in a great place. Its just that sort of attitude that will hold you back.

wrfc1980

Posts : 440
Join date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 16:10

wrfc1980 wrote:You are deluded if you think wales are in a great place. Its just that sort of attitude that will hold you back.

2007 - Wales 5 England 62

2015 - Wales 28 Englnd 25

That is actual proof we're in a decent place, we've been 6N contenders on week 5 for 5 of his 7 tournaments, winning 3 and losing 1 on points difference.

Outside of the mid 70's and early 1910's when could we boast that sort of record?

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by No9 Sun 18 Oct - 16:12

Can't believe this thread

So, best performance of any NH side (unless Scotland beat Aus). Wasn't smashed by either of the top SH sides, and actually games we could have won, and that's with so many injuries, I even cleaned up my boots waiting for a call up.

He's won Grand Slams, 6 Nations win, Lions series, and you are calling for him to be sacked....

I entirely disagree!

No9

Posts : 1718
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : South Wales

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 18 Oct - 16:13

You ve picked a world cup warm up result against a wc pool game there?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 23479
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 16:16

No 7&1/2 wrote:You ve picked a world cup warm up result against a wc pool game there?

Ok 47-13 Twickenham the year before any better?

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by LondonTiger Sun 18 Oct - 16:17

I voted no.

Gatland may feel there is no more he can do and choose to move on, but unless that happens no way should WRU sack him.

Refresh the coaching group maybe, but surely not Edwards as defence was phenomenal, but Gatland should not be sacked.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 16:18

No9 wrote:Can't believe this thread, what an absolute f@@@inf tw@t to even write it.

So, best performance of any NH side (unless Scotland beat Aus). Wasn't smashed by either of the top SH sides, and actually games we could have won, and that's with so many injuries, I even cleaned up my boots waiting for a call up.

He's won Grand Slams, 6 Nations win, Lions series, and you are calling for him to be sacked....

What a complete MUPPET you are....

I get the feeling we don't see eye to eye on too much, however... Hug

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 18 Oct - 16:22

Fanster wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:You ve picked a world cup warm up result against a wc pool game there?

Ok 47-13 Twickenham the year before any better?

Maybe you could just look at it as a whole and conclude neither side are dominant given the 6ns result?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 23479
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Fanster Sun 18 Oct - 16:24

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Fanster wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:You ve picked a world cup warm up result against a wc pool game there?

Ok 47-13 Twickenham the year before any better?

Maybe you could just look at it as a whole and conclude neither side are dominant given the 6ns result?

Noone said dominance was either teams, however it very much was all England in the 90's and 00's until Gatland.

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Shifty Sun 18 Oct - 16:29

I'm glad Gatland is tied down till 2019 myself, he's the best coach we have ever had, he has beaten Australia and South Africa so how is any other coach Wales have ever had superior to him?

I only hope New Zealand win the world cup because if not they may sack Hansen and take Warren off us. mad
Shifty
Shifty

Posts : 7387
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 42
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by wrfc1980 Sun 18 Oct - 17:01

He's beaten the Aussies and SA once each and LOST 23 times..........

wrfc1980

Posts : 440
Join date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by mxd321 Sun 18 Oct - 20:56

Fanster wrote:
mxd321 wrote:Gatland has taken Wales as far as he can and change is needed.

Yes, Wales have done well in the 6 Nations under Gatland by winning 2 chamionships in 2008 and 2012 (Wales also won in 2013 with Rob Howley in charge while Gatland was preparing for the Lions tour). They also reached a World Cup semi-final in 2011 and a quarter final this year. However, these statistics gloss over some incredible flaws in Wales' game under Gatland. Wales have one game plan under Gatland and that does not work against all the time.

Gatland has coached Wales in 25 games against the big 3 Southern Hemisphere teams and has only come away with 2 victories. His win rate against England, France and Ireland is about 50% - so nothing to set the World alight.

Let's look at the 2011 World Cup. Wales lost to South Africa, scraped passed Samoa, beat Namibia and beat a 2nd string Fiji who were already out of the tournament. They then beat Ireland - who were ranked below them in the World at the time. They then lost to France and Australia. During that World Cup they beat nobody other than the teams form/ranking would have expected them to.

This World Cup, Wales survived the group of death by beating England. Yet again they failed against Australia and South Africa. More worryingly, througout the tournament there was little spark and the tries against England and South Africa were from individual kicks, not from structured play that would have been rehearsed in training.

Much has been made of the injuries Wales had during this World Cup. The pack was at full strength and still got beaten by Australia and South Africa. In the backs, Biggar, North and Roberts would have been starters anyway and Gareth Davies was always above Webb in the pecking order until Davies' injury last season. Remember he was Pro12 player of the season and leading try scorer before that injury.  That leaves use with only 3/4 first choice starters not playing not the 7 often stated.

I'm Welsh through and through, but have been worried about Gatland's tactics and persistence with some players for many years. His game works (most of the time) in the Northern Hemisphere, but has always fallen short against SH sides.

Laugh clap

I needed a good laugh...

So Webb wasn't the form 9 on the planet?

Jon Davies not the starting 13? Scott Williams not challenging foxy or Roberts? Then Scott Williams wasn't the form centre?

1/2p was not first choice FB? Liam williams backing him up AND wasn't first choice wing?

Hallam Amos, Cory Allen weren't then incumbants?

We lost first choice SH, 13, 14 and 15, then lost replacements at 13, 14, and 15, then lost another 13, had a scrum half play n the wing, drafted in 2 injured players, and started a RWC quarter final with 2 novices at 13 and 15 (not key positions at all), then in the Quarter lost 2 more players before SA's winning score...

Lets be honest, we re a leading NH team, who are consistently compeitive to within the odd few points in every game, we have developed as good a pack as anyone in world rugby right now, they beat up Aus, and more than matched SA, our injury crisis is the difference between a semi final and quarter final, of which we were odds on favourites not to get out of the pool...

It's all in the way you tell it though isn't it.

It is in the way you tell it, but if you look at Gatland's selections I stand by the fact that Biggar, North and Roberts would have been starting regardless so we did not lose our entire backline or 7 first choice backs as so many people claim. We lost 4 and their replacements. Anyway, to me that is a little aside.

We have not progressed since the last World Cup in my opinion and even that as I posted above was hyped up more than it should have been. Under Gatland we have always been competitive against SA, Aus and NZ (barring a few games), yet have not taken that next step often enough. We beat Aus in 2008 in Gatland's first Autumn in charge, then waiting 6 years to beat a weakened SA last autumn. 2 wins out of 25 against those sides is not good enough - during the same time Eng, France, Ireland and Scotland have better records against those sides.

Wales can defend well and are probably the best in the World at defending. But the same story repeats itself over again. Wales build a slender lead, then face a barrage of attacks which they heroically defend. Come the final 5/10 minutes, having completed twice as many tackles as the opposition, we are running out of steam and eventually concede. At the same time, our back play is so 1 dimensional that we fail to score enough tries. The game plan works against Scotland, Italy, Argentina and Tier 2 nations, is hit and miss against Eng, Ire and France and does not work against SA, NZ and Aus.

There will be some who disagree with me I'm sure, however I am sick of Wales being that side who defended heroically just to lose in the last few minutes. I'm fed up of the same story playing out against top teams and reliving past glories. Gatland has done a terrific job for Wales, but now is the time to change and allow someone the chance to build for the 2019 World Cup.


mxd321

Posts : 2
Join date : 2015-10-18

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by TJ Sun 18 Oct - 20:59

Griff wrote:
TJ wrote:No

I think gatland may have taken you as far as he can but Wales have not let themselves down nor has he.  I think a long hard think about what Wales do next is needed and that is at all levels.  You need to be doing better in the Pro 12, you need to look at structures and most importantly is there a better coach out ther?  Is it just the guys under him that need changing?  Is Gatland capable of learning the lessons and moving Wales on a step?  Is the limited gameplan and limited attacking options Gatlands fault?  the players fault?  Were the injuries that critical?

I think this World Cup is showing that we ALL (6 nations teams) need to have a long hard look at ourselves. We've ALL failed - Scots aside for now, but I'm not that confident for them v Aus. Is Schmidt capable of learning the lessons? England? Scotland???

Decent showing against Aus in the end.  Scotland is not really inthe same position.  Glasgow won the pro12 last year, Edinburgh top of it now, we have a new coach and a bunch of exciting young inexperienced players - yes we are playing ctch up but I believe was are catching up.  The 6N will tell us.

Wales have been around the top of the 6N for a good few years now, can they kick on and challenge the 4Ns sides? Scotland are below Wales - but are on the upward trajectory perhaps

TJ

Posts : 7943
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 18 Oct - 21:11

And replace him with who?...You have how many first choice players missing?....You was in with a chance right up to 70/73 minutes, when you gave away a penalty scrum 5/10 metres from your own line and SA turned the screw and won.

So my question is who would you have come in and replace Gatland?

And would a new coach make any difference regards too winning against SH teams?

majesticimperialman

Posts : 5703
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct - 21:21

TJ wrote:
Griff wrote:
TJ wrote:No

I think gatland may have taken you as far as he can but Wales have not let themselves down nor has he.  I think a long hard think about what Wales do next is needed and that is at all levels.  You need to be doing better in the Pro 12, you need to look at structures and most importantly is there a better coach out ther?  Is it just the guys under him that need changing?  Is Gatland capable of learning the lessons and moving Wales on a step?  Is the limited gameplan and limited attacking options Gatlands fault?  the players fault?  Were the injuries that critical?

I think this World Cup is showing that we ALL (6 nations teams) need to have a long hard look at ourselves. We've ALL failed - Scots aside for now, but I'm not that confident for them v Aus. Is Schmidt capable of learning the lessons? England? Scotland???

Decent showing against Aus in the end.  Scotland is not really inthe same position.  Glasgow won the pro12 last year, Edinburgh top of it now, we have a new coach and a bunch of exciting young inexperienced players - yes we are playing ctch up but I believe was are catching up.  The 6N will tell us.

Wales have been around the top of the 6N for a good few years now, can they kick on and challenge the 4Ns sides?  Scotland are below Wales - but are on the upward trajectory perhaps

Scotland not in the same position? It was a close game for Scotland today, and kudos for that, but you're not the only team to have nearly beaten Oz. Doesn't give an indication of any sort of trajectory really. You had a close hard fought loss. Plucky in defeat. Sounds like just another Wales headline. You got close in one game and were soundly beaten in another (Boks). I think it puts you in exactly the same position as the other 6N teams.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Oct - 21:29

You can only do what you can with what's available to you. If judging Gatland purely on whether he could beat the SH you have to consider would he stand more chance if he was coach of NZ, Australia or SA, or England or France for that matter.

And are we in any worse place than we were eight years ago? Obviously not.

The last decade has been very successful for a country that has no where near the playing power it on had.

In the fifties sixties and particularly the seventies we were on of the top three teams in the world.

But our club game at all levels and our schools rugby was so much stronger than today.

If Gatland is to leave Wales in a great shape in four years time it will be to improve the schools, colleges and club rugby that will be a legacy to him.

All things considered I am proud of how Wales played. I look forward to the future and I don't think Gatland has achieved all he can.


Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 18 Oct - 21:44; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 18 Oct - 21:36

As much as I dislike him for his stubborn-ness on the Lions tour, I do think that he is getting the best from the Welsh players. I don't know if he is more ruthless than the other home nations coaches and that is how he gets such good results (other than against SH teams)

InjuredYetAgain

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2011-06-02
Age : 54
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 18 Oct - 21:47

majesticimperialman wrote:And replace him with who?...You have how many first choice players missing?....You was in with a chance right up to 70/73 minutes, when you gave away a penalty scrum 5/10 metres from your own line and SA turned the screw and won.

So my question is who would you have come in and replace Gatland?

And would a new coach make any difference regards too winning against SH teams?

You including 13 man Australia?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 18 Oct - 21:51

Out if interest, do you Welsh guys blame Gatland or the players for having such a poor record at the SH teams?

InjuredYetAgain

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2011-06-02
Age : 54
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct - 21:55

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Out if interest, do you Welsh guys blame Gatland or the players for having such a poor record at the SH teams?

Against Oz: I blame the players. We've been up in the last 5 mins a few times. It's not Gatlands coaching that has made them give away a penalty or let them score s length of the field try. Gatland's coaching has got us in front, in match winning positions, plenty (against Oz). Nit sure about the other SH teams.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by nathan Sun 18 Oct - 21:57

He's not perfect but has done a overall wonderful job for Wales against NH teams.

If I were a Welsh fan, I would want something to change in order to be the best team in the world and start beating the SH teams. I'm not 100% on what that is, is it a change of select coaches? Change of tactics?

nathan

Posts : 10952
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 18 Oct - 21:58

Cardiff Dave wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:And replace him with who?...You have how many first choice players missing?....You was in with a chance right up to 70/73 minutes, when you gave away a penalty scrum 5/10 metres from your own line and SA turned the screw and won.

So my question is who would you have come in and replace Gatland?

And would a new coach make any difference regards too winning against SH teams?

You including 13 man Australia?

No, i was talking about the game against SA.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 5703
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by TJ Sun 18 Oct - 22:00

Griff wrote:

Scotland not in the same position? It was a close game for Scotland today, and kudos for that, but you're not the only team to have nearly beaten Oz. Doesn't give an indication of any sort of trajectory really. You had a close hard fought loss. Plucky in defeat. Sounds like just another Wales headline. You got close in one game and were soundly beaten in another (Boks). I think it puts you in exactly the same position as the other 6N teams.

the differnce is we have a young inexperienced team and we are improving. Only faint signs and the 6N will tell us if this is anything more.

TJ

Posts : 7943
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 18 Oct - 22:03

majesticimperialman wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:And replace him with who?...You have how many first choice players missing?....You was in with a chance right up to 70/73 minutes, when you gave away a penalty scrum 5/10 metres from your own line and SA turned the screw and won.

So my question is who would you have come in and replace Gatland?

And would a new coach make any difference regards too winning against SH teams?

You including 13 man Australia?

No, i was talking about the game against SA.

You said "SH teams".
Think we need a new backs coach imo though.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct - 22:06

Cardiff Dave wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:And replace him with who?...You have how many first choice players missing?....You was in with a chance right up to 70/73 minutes, when you gave away a penalty scrum 5/10 metres from your own line and SA turned the screw and won.

So my question is who would you have come in and replace Gatland?

And would a new coach make any difference regards too winning against SH teams?

You including 13 man Australia?

No, i was talking about the game against SA.

You said "SH teams".
Think we need a new backs coach imo though.

I agree. A bit early yet, but Stephen Jones seems to be getting the Scarlets playing some nice backs stuff. One to watch for a future Wales role perhaps?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 18 Oct - 22:20

nathan wrote:He's not perfect but has done a overall wonderful job for Wales against NH teams.

If I were a Welsh fan, I would want something to change in order to be the best team in the world and start beating the SH teams. I'm not 100% on what that is, is it a change of select coaches? Change of tactics?

We probably need an alternative to "Warrenball" yes.


Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Oct - 22:24

Cardiff Dave wrote:
nathan wrote:He's not perfect but has done a overall wonderful job for Wales against NH teams.

If I were a Welsh fan, I would want something to change in order to be the best team in the world and start beating the SH teams. I'm not 100% on what that is, is it a change of select coaches? Change of tactics?

We probably need an alternative to "Warrenball" yes.

The step up to really compete with the best in the game is more about rebuilding the Premiership and regional rugby, even the colleges to being a strong hotbed for talent to grow.

Every nation ahead of us is better in these respects, as are England and Ireland.

I dissagree that coaches can make a huge difference to what we can expect from the players we have. We have to improve the players available to move forward, that means making the whole game stronger in Wales.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 18 Oct - 22:32

maestegmafia wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
nathan wrote:He's not perfect but has done a overall wonderful job for Wales against NH teams.

If I were a Welsh fan, I would want something to change in order to be the best team in the world and start beating the SH teams. I'm not 100% on what that is, is it a change of select coaches? Change of tactics?

We probably need an alternative to "Warrenball" yes.

The step up to really compete with the best in the game is more about rebuilding the Premiership and regional rugby, even the colleges to being a strong hotbed for talent to grow.

Every nation ahead of us is better in these respects, as are England and Ireland.

I dissagree that coaches can make a huge difference to what we can expect from the players we have. We have to improve the players available to move forward, that means making the whole game stronger in Wales.

We have excellent Welsh players now though in the national team and that's been the case for many years.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 18 Oct - 22:38

I have not actualy voted in this poll.

The reason is simply because i am not certain that sacking Gatland will be the best thing for Wales rugby.

I know England are going through a review right now, but is replacing the coach the best way too go simply because your team got knocked out of a tournament?


majesticimperialman

Posts : 5703
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 18 Oct - 22:48

No the WRU shouldn't. What I think they should do however, is get Ponty off the map - worst supporters in world rugby.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12524
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Oct - 22:52

majesticimperialman wrote:I have not actualy voted in this poll.

The reason is  simply because i am not certain that sacking Gatland will be the best thing for Wales rugby.

I know England are going through a review right now, but is replacing the coach the best way too go simply because your team got knocked out of a tournament?

The situation England are in is not comparable to Wales.

maestegmafia

Posts : 23133
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Steffan Mon 19 Oct - 14:12

mikey_dragon wrote:No the WRU shouldn't. What I think they should do however, is get Ponty off the map - worst supporters in world rugby.
Not entirely related to the topic but a good attempt at a wind up there Saint Smile

What with your backup coming out of hiding I expect you to be on top form again now laughing

Steffan

Posts : 7853
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Steffan Mon 19 Oct - 14:14

Looks like the poll shows that the majority of people think Gatland should be kept as coach then. I doubt very much the WRU will get rid of him anyway. Its too much of a risk for them if we are honest

Steffan

Posts : 7853
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland? Empty Re: Should the WRU sack Warren Gatland?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum