The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Craig Joubert

+65
LordDowlais
FerN
Notch
Icu
EST
Rory_Gallagher
Calder106
Cardiff Dave
tigertattie
glamorganalun
disneychilly
Tattie Scones RRN
TightHEAD
funnyExiledScot
highland_scot
Seagultaf
SimonofSurrey
eirebilly
Gooseberry
MrsP
Bathman_in_London
brennomac
2ndtimeround
AirHOrse
gregortree
No 7&1/2
MarcusHalberstram
Biltong
Hood83
HongKongCherry
MacKnocked-on
aucklandlaurie
offload
George Carlin
goneagain
blackcanelion
luvtotup
GLove39
R!skysports
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
mckay1402
chewed_mintie
InjuredYetAgain
RubyGuby
RDW
The Great Aukster
HammerofThunor
cakeordeath
Rugby Fan
nathan
Imperialbigdave
TJ
temporary21
Mr Fishpaste
Fantasticbarnsmell
VinceWLB
Hammersmith harrier
fa0019
Fanster
RuggerRadge2611
21st Century Schizoid Man
69 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Craig Joubert - Page 7 Empty Craig Joubert

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 18 Oct 2015, 6:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well he feckin is !  lets make sure we do it boys ?

Back to top Go down

Craig Joubert - Page 7 Empty Re: Craig Joubert

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:48 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Re World Rugby's rubbish statement. Does anyone think that this bunch of incompetent erse-wholes can get anything correct?    Their credibility, or what little credibility they ever had, is in tatters.   A pathetic bunch of self serving morons -very much like their wendyball equivalents in Switzerland.    

Joubert running off at the end happened because he knew he had fecked up and had been caught out.   By that act, in refusing to explain to the players in particular Scottish captain Gregg Laidlaw what had happened,was an act of total cowardice.   I agree with Big Gav H -he is a disgrace and an embarrassment to rugby.

But what do you really think?

laughing
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:51 am

My take on Hastings is that he did cross the line in terms of the manner in which he expressed his view, but having said that having pundits like Moore and Hastings who are not afraid to give a strong view adds much needed colour to the often bland array of stuffed shirts the broadcasters find to sit in the studios.

The World Rugby statement really seems to be hanging Joubert out to dry. They could certainly have made more of a defence for him stressing the difficulty of making that decision in real time without TMO help. Obviously the media will run with the headline "Joubert mistake confirmed" or something along those lines, but I don't imagine Joubert will be overly chuffed at the way that piece has been written.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:52 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Re World Rugby's rubbish statement. Does anyone think that this bunch of incompetent erse-wholes can get anything correct?    Their credibility, or what little credibility they ever had, is in tatters.   A pathetic bunch of self serving morons -very much like their wendyball equivalents in Switzerland.    

Joubert running off at the end happened because he knew he had fecked up and had been caught out.   By that act, in refusing to explain to the players in particular Scottish captain Gregg Laidlaw what had happened,was an act of total cowardice.   I agree with Big Gav H -he is a disgrace and an embarrassment to rugby.

I have warned you to stop assassinating his character, one more word in that direction and you won't be around to discuss anything for two weeks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:54 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:My take on Hastings is that he did cross the line in terms of the manner in which he expressed his view, but having said that having pundits like Moore and Hastings who are not afraid to give a strong view adds much needed colour to the often bland array of stuffed shirts the broadcasters find to sit in the studios.

The World Rugby statement really seems to be hanging Joubert out to dry. They could certainly have made more of a defence for him stressing the difficulty of making that decision in real time without TMO help. Obviously the media will run with the headline "Joubert mistake confirmed" or something along those lines, but I don't imagine Joubert will be overly chuffed at the way that piece has been written.

He has never been my favorite ref as I have elaborated on in other threads. However the fact his employers have treated him this way is a little harsh.

I seriously think they would have been more forgiving and supportive if he had left the field of play with a shred of dignity.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:54 am

He's spot on there though. Complete cowardice was demonstrated.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:55 am

Griff wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Cyril wrote:Gavin Hastings is coming across as a real idiot in all this.

Just because the man's opinion differs from yours?

Because of the manner in which he is expressing it.
You've lost me there. So Hastings expressed his opinion 'in a really idiotic manner'?

Do you mean 'angrily'? 'Through the means of social media'? 'By expressing a different opinion to yours'?

Or did he wear a ballgown, fill his underpants with custard and hit himself in the face with a rubber chicken whilst doing so?

If you mean the latter, then I agree entirely.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:58 am

Biltong wrote:

I have warned you to stop assassinating his character, one more word in that direction and you won't be  around  to discuss anything for two weeks.

Biltong - to be fair to Schizoid, he isn't assassinating Joubert's character with this post. He describes his behaviour as an "act of cowardice", which is different to labelling Joubert a "coward". He is also repeating views which have been widely expressed in the rugby community and in the media. For leaving the field of play in the manner that he did, without any explanation and in those circumstances, has quite rightly lead to the questionning of Joubert's testicular fortitude on this occasion.

As a general comment, I don't think anyone who puts themselves forward as an international rugby referee can be called a coward. But brave people do cowardly things from time to time, and I think the pressure of the situation got to him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:05 pm

I do think the best and most deserving team went through between Australia and Scotland to be honest.
Joubert is a good ref most of the time. I do think he shouldn't of run off the pitch like that though.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Biltong wrote:

I have warned you to stop assassinating his character, one more word in that direction and you won't be  around  to discuss anything for two weeks.

Biltong - to be fair to Schizoid, he isn't assassinating Joubert's character with this post. He describes his behaviour as an "act of cowardice", which is different to labelling Joubert a "coward". He is also repeating views which have been widely expressed in the rugby community and in the media. For leaving the field of play in the manner that he did, without any explanation and in those circumstances, has quite rightly lead to the questionning of Joubert's testicular fortitude on this occasion.

As a general comment, I don't think anyone who puts themselves forward as an international rugby referee can be called a coward. But brave people do cowardly things from time to time, and I think the pressure of the situation got to him.

Wordplay my friend, we can dance around the fact as much as we want, he has been at Joubert enough now.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:56 pm

We aren't allowed to call him a coward? He is. Quite clearly. Ran away. As a coward.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:05 pm

The main tragedy from a Scotland perspective is this may have been our only chance to get into the semi finals again, who knows, regardless of Scotland's improving so are all the other countries and therefore every World Cup pool may be a 'group of death' from now on. We can accept losing as a result of our own mistakes but we really need a proper standard of refereeing in these crucial matches and Joubert failed to provide that with two or three decisions (or lack of; Hogg late tackle) that seriously disadvantaged us.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:07 pm

I don't know when it was thrown but if I got a bottle biffed at me I'd high tail it too. Seems like the vitriol that led whatever bell end to biff it has translated to 606. But then I'm a New Zealander so feel free to mention 2011 and rant away at that too.

I was on my way to Heathrow from Cardiff so didn't get the chance to see Maitland's yellow but apparently that was more controversial. But I've said before that in real time I'd probably have given the penalty and been wrong too. But had it not been given there was no guarantee Scotland would have won the game. Foley dropping at goal was quite plausible.

My team has been on the end of a couple of Joubert stuff ups (yes, even the All Blacks). But to assassinate someone's character because they had a sh*t game isn't on. Even when that person's stuff ups helped screw you out of a World Cup. Cue Biltong and my best friends Bryce Lawrence and Wayne Barnes.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:12 pm

disneychilly wrote:I don't know when it was thrown but if I got a bottle biffed at me I'd high tail it too. Seems like the vitriol that led whatever bell end to biff it has translated to 606. But then I'm a New Zealander so feel free to mention 2011 and rant away at that too.

I was on my way to Heathrow from Cardiff so didn't get the chance to see Maitland's yellow but apparently that was more controversial. But I've said before that in real time I'd probably have given the penalty and been wrong too. But had it not been given there was no guarantee Scotland would have won the game. Foley dropping at goal was quite plausible.

My team has been on the end of a couple of Joubert stuff ups (yes, even the All Blacks). But to assassinate someone's character because they had a sh*t game isn't on. Even when that person's stuff ups helped screw you out of a World Cup. Cue Biltong and my best friends Bryce Lawrence and Wayne Barnes.

He was in the middle of the park Disney when he started running. Right off the whistle.

Don't know about you but unless you have arms the size of a behemoth I doubt anyone could throw that far. He ran immediately. Unless it happened mid game of course.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:15 pm

Biltong wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Wordplay my friend, we can dance around the fact as much as we want, he has been at Joubert enough now.

Banning anyone for this would be a mockery of the position of moderator as in doing so you are clearly deciding that the person following one side of a very public debate has no right to air his views, this could easily be construed as siding with your fellow SH official and misuse of the Moderator position.
Just my humble opinion though.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:20 pm

fa0019 wrote:
disneychilly wrote:I don't know when it was thrown but if I got a bottle biffed at me I'd high tail it too. Seems like the vitriol that led whatever bell end to biff it has translated to 606. But then I'm a New Zealander so feel free to mention 2011 and rant away at that too.

He was in the middle of the park Disney when he started running. Right off the whistle.

Don't know about you but unless you have arms the size of a behemoth I doubt anyone could throw that far. He ran immediately. Unless it happened mid game of course.

I'd say about 40m pitchside. Depends where it was thrown of course-if I had a run up I'd get it somewhere within cooey. But my brother and I were blessed with huge throwing arms.

If you watch the 1989 test between NZ and Wales you'll see Australian referee Sandy McNeill blow time about 4 minutes early and hoof it off the field as well. I just saw Joubert's girlie man run but McNeill was about twice as fast!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:24 pm

What does calling Joubert a coward achieve? Joubert's running off shouldn't become the issue. It made absolutely no difference to the result. His mistake did. Mistakes happen.
I can understand the anger, I am gutted for Scotland myself, but what does it achieve to rip into the man's character?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:30 pm

Munchkin wrote:What does calling Joubert a coward achieve? Joubert's running off shouldn't become the issue. It made absolutely no difference to the result. His mistake did. Mistakes happen.
I can understand the anger, I am gutted for Scotland myself, but what does it achieve to rip into the man's character?

Certainly raises question marks over his suitability to be able to handle high pressured situations required in elite rugby.

Will he give favours to star players, home support, rugby officials over exerted pressure regardless of it being innocent on his terms.

I wouldn't want some who acts in such manner representing me in anything... if someone can't stand by their actions, good or bad then they're not the type of fellows I want to know. People make mistakes all the time, but being honest and respectful is the backbone of society.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow and Sedate Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:31 pm

After 78 minutes of a game of rugby where plenty of mistakes were made which could have meant there was no close finish. Australia managed to gift 2 tries to Scotland, Foley missed kicks etc it has come down to a microcosm of a few errors committed by several different people in the space of a few minutes.

The TMO didn't review the challenge on Hogg. They've reviewed everything else. Error.
The line out was as bad as England's. Poor call and execution.
The ball was spilt, yes it was bouncing awkwardly and wet, but they are pros. Mistake.
Welsh picked caught the ball. He couldn't have known who touched it last. Possible error, but probably instinctive.
Joubert's decision - proved incorrect after multiple slow mo replays which he didn't have the benefit of.
Joubert running off. Big error, as said goes against everything that rugby should stand for.
World Rugby. Major error. Disgraceful how they have dumped on him from a great height. They make the laws and when a TMO can be used, but weakly defend his position.

I don't think Joubert is a good ref, but the personal attacks on him are wrong. I believe World Rugby prevent refs from explaining themselves after matches. which of course doesn't help in this situation.

Slow and Sedate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:31 pm

I've said it before, I'll say it again: until you know why Joubert ran off the pitch, you can't level any allegations against him. To call him a coward or a disgrace etc implies you know for certain that he ran off the pitch because he knew he'd made an error and didn't want to face the consequences...but there are many other reasons, many of them innocuous, for why he could have run of the pitch....and until you know what his motive was you are merely projecting your prejudice onto him.

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:33 pm

Come off it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:37 pm

fa0019 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:What does calling Joubert a coward achieve? Joubert's running off shouldn't become the issue. It made absolutely no difference to the result. His mistake did. Mistakes happen.

Certainly raises question marks over his suitability to be able to handle high pressured situations required in elite rugby.

Will he give favours to star players, home support, rugby officials over exerted pressure regardless of it being innocent on his terms.

I wouldn't want some who acts in such manner representing me in anything... if someone can't stand by their actions, good or bad then they're not the type of fellows I want to know. People make mistakes all the time, but being honest and respectful is the backbone of society.

Why should it? It isn't as if it happened mid game. That would be worth talking about Shocked

Better to judge a ref on his record, rather than a one-off incident that had no bearing on the result.

Getting caught up in this running off serves to vent spleen, but has no useful purpose. I'm partial to venting spleen myself at times, but appreciate it when others tell me to wise up. Maybe not right away. Sometimes it takes a while to sink in Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:40 pm

Mr Fishpaste wrote:I've said it before, I'll say it again: until you know why Joubert ran off the pitch, you can't level any allegations against him. To call him a coward or a disgrace etc implies you know for certain that he ran off the pitch because he knew he'd made an error and didn't want to face the consequences...but there are many other reasons, many of them innocuous, for why he could have run of the pitch....and until you know what his motive was you are merely projecting your prejudice onto him.

ok I agree but why would he break all protocol and tradition?

Needed the toilet as world rugby hinted... pathetic, what is he 3... also he's been running around for 40 mins.
Dodging bottles from those wee ginger heathens.... unless it was during game, that's a lie. He ran immediately from blowing whistle and I haven't seen any footage of it. You would have needed to look like Arnie to have reached him with a bottle from where he blew time.
Personal reasons i.e. needed to get home/speak to family - 1 min was all it took and if it was say serious then he shouldn't have been officiating, he should have been home.

There are no reasons not to be respectful, not to shake hands. Laidlaw was livid but its not like he was sharpening a field knife he smuggled in his boot.

It broke all conventions of standard protocol. Yes, we can't say definitive but there are few things which would excuse such breaks in convention... those which are excusable are so serious he shouldn't have been officiating.. i.e. ill family member etc etc.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:40 pm

Mr Fishpaste wrote:I've said it before, I'll say it again: until you know why Joubert ran off the pitch, you can't level any allegations against him.

Ummm, why exactly?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:41 pm

Munchkin wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

Why should it? It isn't as if it happened mid game. That would be worth talking about Shocked

Better to judge a ref on his record, rather than a one-off incident that had no bearing on the result.

Getting caught up in this running off serves to vent spleen, but has no useful purpose. I'm partial to venting spleen myself at times, but appreciate it when others tell me to wise up. Maybe not right away. Sometimes it takes a while to sink in Erm

Judge him of his record... you mean the RWC 2011 final? He shouldn't have refereed test rugby after that.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

This is going round in circles - going to lock the thread now and probably best we all move on. Everything has been said that needs to be said!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7