The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier

+41
rodders
LordDowlais
geoff999rugby
No 7&1/2
InjuredYetAgain
Luckless Pedestrian
aqualung
Cardiff Dave
monty junior
RDW
stevetynant
little_badger
Shifty
nathan
robbo277
offload
gregortree
bedfordwelsh
Pal Joey
rainbow-warrior
hugehandoff
maestegmafia
HammerofThunor
lostinwales
RubyGuby
TJ
ScarletSpiderman
Cyril
TightHEAD
Breadvan
SecretFly
Barney McGrew did it
Steffan
George Carlin
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
majesticimperialman
funnyExiledScot
LondonTiger
mikey_dragon
45 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier  - Page 3 Empty 6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well with us all being out of the World Cup I think we can move on and look forward to the worlds premier competition in rugby... My predictions for the final table in 2016 is as follows:
1. Wales
2. Ireland
3. Scotland
4. France
5. England
6. Italy

I truly believe Wales are going to be in a strong position by February. We'll still be without some key players but have some players to come back in with the likes of Liam Williams and perhaps JD2. We'll also have some better players to come in, Rob Evans anyone? The fitness and strength levels will still be very high as Gatland has had more time with the guys. It's wales' tournament Very Happy.

Ireland weren't the greatest going into the World Cup and were a distinct second best to Argentina yesterday. However when it comes to 6 Nations opposition Ireland have had the beating of most of the opposition, evident by winning the last two tournaments. The provincial teams are not far off international standard, so Ireland will also still be playing at a high intensity by Feb.

Scotland I think are improving and this will continue into the 6 Nations. I think third is a realistic target for the team. Playing out of sorts France and England teams at home will help their cause. They now also have the beating of Italy - who only seem to be getting worse and could be without their talismanic captain(?). Glasgow are a good team, Edinburgh are continuing to improve. Both will soon overtake the Welsh domestic teams IMO. This will only help the strength of the Scottish team who finally have a good coach.

I think the bottom 3 will all be with new coaches, France and Italy definitely will be. I think it's a big ask to immediately turn around the fortunes of these teams in such a short space of time and England are no doubt building for the 2027 World Cup anyway...

So over to V2. Who's your pick and why?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier  - Page 3 Empty Re: 6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:01 am

It's extenuating circumstances Bedford, so you can expect all England and France based players to be in rather than just the two... As far as I know Allen and Walker should be alright as it was just a hamstring strain; it's just unfortunate that Allen can't pass! I think Dixon is also out for quite a while so we can forget him too. Patchell might be considered the new utility to take the place of Anscombe, and Priestland will be back on the bench to cover fly-half. I would expect Tom Prydie to come in as well.

It's also likely that Allen and Walker will get injured again... Wonder what Gatland will do?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier  - Page 3 Empty Re: 6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:32 am

mikey_dragon wrote:It's extenuating circumstances Bedford, so you can expect all England and France based players to be in rather than just the two... As far as I know Allen and Walker should be alright as it was just a hamstring strain; it's just unfortunate that Allen can't pass! I think Dixon is also out for quite a while so we can forget him too. Patchell might be considered the new utility to take the place of Anscombe, and Priestland will be back on the bench to cover fly-half. I would expect Tom Prydie to come in as well.

It's also likely that Allen and Walker will get injured again... Wonder what Gatland will do?

I did actually forget about him, heard reports later yesterday that Asncombe is set to be out for 2 months so should be back Xmas time ish. With Scot Williams out for rest of season I hope we can get JD back (not heard anything on his timescale) and at least one of either Halfpenny or Li Williams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:07 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Given recent injury news I'm going to have to retract my statement about Wales winning the 2016 Six Nations. We're running out of a team. Anscombe will miss the tournament through being out with an ankle injury, whilst Tyler Morgan has a dislocated shoulder. I didn't even know that they came off injured in the SA game! No news on the others who were already injured - all that I know is that Williams, Webb and Halfpenny will be out for the entire season; if they're lucky they'll make the closing weeks of the season.

Who's going to step up?

That will explain why Hook came off for Morgan as couldn't understand it otherwise, read the report today about his injury but haven't seen anything about Anscombe.

So with them added to the list we now have 1 No9 in Webb, 5 centres in Dixon, Morgan, JD, Sc Williams and Allen, along with 3 wings/fullbacks in Halfpenny, Li Williams and Amos then a utility back in Anscombe, christ that has to be one of the worst injury list going.

Heard reports that Sc Williams will be out for rest of the season, not sure about the rest but seriously who would we be looking at using if all out,as it stands now could anyone come up with an acceptable backline?

Davies
Biggar

North
Roberts
Patchell, Hook, Ben John maybe
Cuthbert, Walker - is he even fit, Prydie

Patchell/Evans/Prydie/Hook
I didn't realise that these were all long term injuries?

Are all of these players really going to be out until the spring?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:26 am

GC,

Early reports were that Anscombe would miss the 6 Nations but now seems to be saying back before Xmas, Scott Williams has been ruled out of the season, Liam Williams like Webb are both very doubtful and highly unlikely to be back before Xmas so how much game time will they have, not heard anything on Halfpenny or JD.

Tyler Morgan needs operation on his shoulder, Jack Dixon is out whilst Allen and Walker have hamstring injuries so maybe not as long.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:37 am

That's bad news. There must be some talent in the regions who will be able to make their case for a 6N appearance between now and February though?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 am

George Carlin wrote:That's bad news. There must be some talent in the regions who will be able to make their case for a 6N appearance between now and February though?

GC,

The problem is that the next level as in guys like Dixon, Morgan, Asncombe, Allen and Amos are injured themselves. So its two levels down that will be coming through. those types of guys that would in all reality only be getting Regional game time due to the ones listed possibly away with Welsh set up.

I guess Patchell is one who could benefit along with Ben John at the Os.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:00 am

Before people get carried away with Scotland’s chances this upcoming 6N, some points to consider:

Since the 2011 RWC Scotland have won 4 out of 20 6N games
We have picked up 2 wooden spoons in the same period
We have only won 3 games once – in 2006
We haven’t beaten England since 2008
We haven’t beaten Wales since 2007
We haven’t beaten France since 2006

If Scotland picked up 3 wins it would be one of our greatest achievements in the past decade, never mind winning the bloody thing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Before people get carried away with Scotland’s chances this upcoming 6N, some points to consider:

If Scotland picked up 3 wins it would be one of our greatest achievements in the past decade, never mind winning the bloody thing!

I think this world cup has shown:
Wales are stronger than most people think. (particularly depth of talent)
Ireland are weaker than most people think (particularly depth of talent)
Scotland's 1st XV are a match for anyone
France are a shambles
England will not be as bad in the 6N as they were in that world cup
Italy, as you were...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:12 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Before people get carried away with Scotland’s chances this upcoming 6N, some points to consider:

France are a shambles
Italy, as you were...

Can't argue with that, but similarly:

Wales can beat anyone
England can beat anyone
France can beat anyone
Ireland can beat anyone
Scotland and Italy could beat any team other than each other, but it is less likely

So as always nobody really has a clue how it is going to pan out! steam

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:19 am

To be fair the 6 Nations has pretty much always been rugby's second tier, the record against SH teams is absolutely terrible! It's not anything new.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:45 am

As I said, hard to call the top four. I reckon France fifth and Italy sixth on the basis that France will win at home v them. I'm not too sure they'll get a win otherwise.

Wales have a great chance of three home wins (playing the Blue teams) and possibly could sneak one away in Dublin or HQ. Just need a few players back fit.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:47 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Wales can beat anyone

...on their day.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

...on their day.

They can't though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

...on their day.

They can't though.

When was the last time it was Wales' day?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:45 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

...on their day.

They can't though.

When they beat England. Erm

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:15 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

...on their day.

They can't though.

No madge. We were pretty average that day, didn't even get out of third gear.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:22 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

...on their day.

They can't though.

Luckily they caught England having clutch issues and a leaky gasket....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:24 pm

monty junior wrote:To be fair the 6 Nations has pretty much always been rugby's second tier, the record against SH teams is absolutely terrible! It's not anything new.

What's new is that you're probably the first fella in history to say that, monty Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aqualung Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:09 am

robbo277 wrote:The chances of anyone getting a Grand Slam?

Ireland have away trips to France and England and might fancy it, with 2 of their fellow quarter-finalists (and Italy) at home. They are obviously back-to-back champions, thrashed France in the World Cup and watched any illusions of Fortress Twickenham completely shattered in two weeks. They are, in fact, the next visitors to Twickenham in Week 3.

If England can win the opener at Murrayfield, we have a fair shot with Wales and Ireland (the strongest of our two rivals, in my opinion) at home. A Grand Slam game against France in Paris would be a huge test of how far this team has come, considering how we fluffed our lines in 2011 and 2013 going for the biggest prize on the last day.

Wales may find it tough with trips to Ireland and England, and might be a good bet if it comes down to points difference win on points difference with Italy, France and Scotland (last year's 4, 5 and 6) at home. But they did the Grand Slam this way round in 2008 and 2012, and they recently beat England at Twickenham, so the players will have no fear.

France start with two home games and have away trips to Wales and Scotland, but with Ireland and England at home (last year's 1 and 2), they might fancy their chances if they can get Noves reign off to a good start.

Scotland may go into the England game at home on the opening weekend as favourites to win for the first time in quite a while, and a win there could open up the tournament for them. They'll face tough trips to Wales and Ireland, and with England and France both not as strong as they have traditionally been, this year may be the wrong way round for them.

Italy have 2 home games, have to go to Ireland (who they lost to in the World Cup), France (who they lost to in the World Cup) and Wales (who beat them by 60-odd points in Italy last year). They have no hope. Not a single one.

I tend to agree but not completely: Italy has to play Ireland who was very lucky to beat us in the world cup, Wales we almost beat (and they were full-strenght) in Cardiff right before the RWC and France who lost to us 2 out of 4 clashes. It could happen for once inches and details could go our way next time, when and if we're able to keep our composure, discipline and attitude the team is there to beat any of other 5 teams. Let's see

aqualung

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:15 am

What will Italy do after Parisse goes, it has been proved so many times that they are a completely different team when he plays.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by aqualung Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:21 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:What will Italy do after Parisse goes, it has been proved so many times that they are a completely different team when he plays.
I don't know mate, but I think it's very different when you've such an influent player who eventually is not able to play from when he'll quit and you will not count on it anymore, even mentally. The point is to develop a quality squad with the right attitude, then we'll go our way even without him. Italy had a great team in the 90's before Parisse.....Said that, I hope he can still give us 2/3 more years of class..

aqualung

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:45 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

France are a shambles
Italy, as you were...

Wales can beat anyone
England can beat anyone
France can beat anyone
Ireland can beat anyone
Scotland and Italy could beat any team other than each other, but it is less likely

Which makes me look forward to it even more! Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:49 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

France are a shambles
Italy, as you were...

Wales can beat anyone
England can beat anyone
France can beat anyone
Ireland can beat anyone

Which makes me look forward to it even more! Smile

Yet there are numpties asking for it all to be changed. Imagine writing this:

Wales can beat anyone
England can beat anyone
France can beat anyone
Ireland can beat anyone
Georgia and Romania might score a try, but it is less likely

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:44 am

Perhaps not the right thread but ah well. The following link gives an idea of which wales players will be back for the 6 nations. It's pretty much who I said it would be: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-world-cup-stars-10322098#ICID=FB-Wales-rugby

Also just caught up with the news article which covered the Twitter abuse Cuthbert was getting. Not sure what to make of it really; I do feel sorry for him a bit.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:30 am

No one should have to deal with online abuse, but I have to say, if I was a professional rugby player, or someone in the public eye, I'd have my Twitter account 'protected' or whatever it is, so that only people you approve can tweet you and see your tweets. I don't know why you'd make yourself contactable by everyone. It's like giving the world your phone number and being surprised that you're getting crank calls.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:40 am

I did laugh at that Cuthbert article when they posted a supportive tweet from Rick O'Shea to Cuthbert, considering he had earlier tweeted something like Cuthbert caught the ball or made a tackle and had suggested it was a sign we were going to beat South Africa.

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:40 am

SecretFly wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

...on their day.

They can't though.

Luckily they caught England having clutch issues and a leaky gasket....

Ahh...but Wales beat the English, and that is all that matters isn't it ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:13 am

I'm not sure if the Scottish revival is more than a false dawn, but none the less it's great to see Scotts up beat again. It's good for British rugby and good for the 6Ns to have a fully competitive contest. Disappointing that France and Italy are out of sorts. Unless something changes I don't see a slam this time.

A few changes in selection and a fresh approach could see England very strong, particularly as they have Wales and Ireland at home. Through gritted teath, England are my 6Ns top tip.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:59 am

I say this pretty much every year, I might as well copy and paste it from my previous posts since 606V2 came into being, but I'll retype it again anyway:

Scotland generally go in alternate cycles, one season you are totally un-creative and difficult to break down, resulting in narrow loses and then one huge one that sets you back to square one.  Then the next season you chuck it around, score lots of points and concede even more, then take one big loss and the coach finally gets sacked.

I'm not really accepting peoples opinions on the comparative Wales V Australia and Scotland V Australia games.  I'd rather not score any, and not concede any, than concede five, and score three tries.     If you watch the Scotland V Australia game again all of Scotland's tries came from careless mistakes by Australia, and frankly I don't think Australia would of dared take those kinds of chances against Wales.

In 6 nations rugby, Wales and Ireland have solid defenses, Scotland generally only score one try a game in the Six nations, (2 against Italy).  

Personally I see this going as normal, Wales go to Dublin first, if they win, they will get the grand slam, if they lose then the Welsh public will rant and rave and the players will up their performance for the next game at home to Scotland.  Wales haven't lost to Scotland since 2007, and won 12 of our last 13 against them, and they haven't won in Cardiff since 1996!  
Wales also have Italy at home, we won our last 9 games against them, while France is also at home we have won our last 4 games against them.  I'm pretty happy we can at least win our three home games and hopefully nick one away to either England or Ireland.

The other thing I feel I have to keep reminding Scottish posters is their team hasn't actually beaten a big 8 country since 24th of February 2013! That will be getting on for 2 years by the time the 6 nations start.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:46 am

Shifty wrote:I say this pretty much every year, I might as well copy and paste it from my previous posts since 606V2 came into being, but I'll retype it again anyway:

Scotland generally go in alternate cycles, one season you are totally un-creative and difficult to break down, resulting in narrow loses and then one huge one that sets you back to square one.  Then the next season you chuck it around, score lots of points and concede even more, then take one big loss and the coach finally gets sacked.

I'm not really accepting peoples opinions on the comparative Wales V Australia and Scotland V Australia games.  I'd rather not score any, and not concede any, than concede five, and score three tries.     If you watch the Scotland V Australia game again all of Scotland's tries came from careless mistakes by Australia, and frankly I don't think Australia would of dared take those kinds of chances against Wales.

In 6 nations rugby, Wales and Ireland have solid defenses, Scotland generally only score one try a game in the Six nations, (2 against Italy).  

Personally I see this going as normal, Wales go to Dublin first, if they win, they will get the grand slam, if they lose then the Welsh public will rant and rave and the players will up their performance for the next game at home to Scotland.  Wales haven't lost to Scotland since 2007, and won 12 of our last 13 against them, and they haven't won in Cardiff since 1996!  
Wales also have Italy at home, we won our last 9 games against them, while France is also at home we have won our last 4 games against them.  I'm pretty happy we can at least win our three home games and hopefully nick one away to either England or Ireland.

The other thing I feel I have to keep reminding Scottish posters is their team hasn't actually beaten a big 8 country since 24th of February 2013!  That will be getting on for 2 years by the time the 6 nations start.

As much as I agree with your general sentiment (see my earlier post spelling out just how much Scotland struggle in the 6N) the bit highlighted in bold just makes me Rolling Eyes

I think it is very patronising to belittle Scotland's tries as mainly coming from luck or carelessness from the opposition.

In the last year alone we have scored interception tries against New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Argentina, Samoa, Japan, Italy and Tonga - if that is only down to luck then we must be the luckiest team in history! By that logic was Hogg's long distance try against Wales not a proper try either because it came from a turnover off Welsh ball?

Australia were completely rattled and panicky about losing - that's why they made mistakes and tried to force things. We had them on the rack.

So just to reiterate - I completely agree with you that we are still probably going to struggle this 6N, that our 6N try rate is generally poor, but it does my head in to hear people try to play down these interceptions and tries from mistakes.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:No one should have to deal with online abuse, but I have to say, if I was a professional rugby player, or someone in the public eye, I'd have my Twitter account 'protected' or whatever it is, so that only people you approve can tweet you and see your tweets. I don't know why you'd make yourself contactable by everyone. It's like giving the world your phone number and being surprised that you're getting crank calls.

Some have two accounts don't they? One for 'fans' that's not private, and another one for close friends and family only.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:As much as I agree with your general sentiment (see my earlier post spelling out just how much Scotland struggle in the 6N) the bit highlighted in bold just makes me Rolling Eyes

I think it is very patronising to belittle Scotland's tries as mainly coming from luck or carelessness from the opposition.

In the last year alone we have scored interception tries against New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Argentina, Samoa, Japan, Italy and Tonga - if that is only down to luck then we must be the luckiest team in history! By that logic was Hogg's long distance try against Wales not a proper try either because it came from a turnover off Welsh ball?

Australia were completely rattled and panicky about losing - that's why they made mistakes and tried to force things. We had them on the rack.

So just to reiterate - I completely agree with you that we are still probably going to struggle this 6N, that our 6N try rate is generally poor, but it does my head in to hear people try to play down these interceptions and tries from mistakes.

I'm not trying to be patronising, I'm just saying that before some people put Scotland as 6 nations favorites after 3 wins against USA, Japan and Samoa, it's worth pointing out that it's not unusual for Scotland to go an attacking try scoring style after playing the forward orientated game in the last 6 nations and that they haven't beat a big 8 country for 2 years.

I just can't see what progress Scotland can make with the same players year after year, making the same mistakes time after time. I honestly believe the structure of Scottish rugby needs to change, starting at the top of the Union. Scotland really need to do what Ireland and Wales do, which is giving chances and utilising their talented U20 team and pushing those players through to professional rugby. Edinburgh and Glasgow employ too many foreign players, while the eight Irish and Welsh teams push nearly all their players through from their academies. Until that happens, nothing can change. Scotland tend to have a little push and give a little hope then fall flat on their faces.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:32 pm

Priestland putting international career on hold, does Wales a favour I guess. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-star-rhys-priestland-quits-10325545

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:22 pm

A little early for my predictions - let's just see who retires from International rugby.
Also, let's not forget that the French and English clubs are less understanding towards player-welfare and are more likely to flog them to death and so burn them out. That said, I think I read about squad rotation being relevant for the Scottish sides as there are games for the next 17 weekends running.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:26 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:A little early for my predictions - let's just see who retires from International rugby.
Also, let's not forget that the French and English clubs are less understanding towards player-welfare and are more likely to flog them to death and so burn them out. That said, I think I read about squad rotation being relevant for the Scottish sides as there are games for the next 17 weekends running.

Not bothered about player welfare? Come on, back that up.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Come on 7.5, keep up. English and French teams flog their players (to death??) whilst at the same time rotating just as much as the pro12 teams. The French are the worst, they simultaneously flog their players whilst never taking away games seriously and play their second team. How the bastards manage that I don't know. Probably by throwing money at it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:11 am

Shifty wrote:I say this pretty much every year, I might as well copy and paste it from my previous posts since 606V2 came into being, but I'll retype it again anyway:

The other thing I feel I have to keep reminding Scottish posters is their team hasn't actually beaten a big 8 country since 24th of February 2013!  That will be getting on for 2 years by the time the 6 nations start.

Scotland beat Wales in Cardiff in 2002!

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:14 am

Scotland, France and Italy will not win the 6N - the rest is guess work

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by aqualung Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:16 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

France are a shambles
Italy, as you were...

I think that judgements about our world cup is maybe a bit too harsh.At the end we had two bad days, against France and Canada (above all France), but we won the matches we had to win and, unexpectedly, almost kicked out Ireland. Our world cup should be rated 6/6,5...

aqualung

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:53 pm

For those who decry Scotlands chances this year based on previous experience you need to remember that the Scotland team especially the backs are very inexperienced and young - many of them playing in their first 6N last year. This year they will have a good few more caps and a lot more experience. ie 10 / 13 more caps or for many of them double or more the international experience than they had last year coming into the 6N

Possible first choice back division -

9 - Greig Laidlaw 30 yrs 46 caps
10 - Finn Russell - 23yrs - 15 Caps
11 Tommy Seymour 27 yrs 22 Caps
12 Alec Dunbar 25 yrs 14 Caps
13 Mark Bennett angel 22 yrs 13 caps
14 Sean Maitland 27 yrs 20 caps
15 Stuart Hogg 23 yrs 38 Caps

158 caps total with more than half of those coming from 2 players. How many international teams have such an inexperienced back division? They will only get better and with a six nations, a WC and the warm up matches under their belt nowshould be ready to show us something special

The forwards are not quite as inexperienced but possibly our best forward and maybe the only real world class player we have Ickle Jonny Gray is only 21 with just 19 caps. Against Aus we had half the number of caps they did. Were we not the youngest team in the WC?

We will see tho and as Scots fans we have been here before

6 Nations - your predictions for rugby's new 2nd tier  - Page 3 Hqdefault

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:01 pm

The next 6N is between Wales/Ireland/England. France will edge out Scotland and Italy, and it will be between Scotland and Italy for the wooden spoon.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Of course many scots fans would like to see a different 9 playing - Sam Hidalgo-clyne 22 years old 8 caps or Henry Pyrgos 26 yrs old 17 caps.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:27 pm

That Hidalgo-Clyne looks some player IMO - Something about him reminds me of Joost VDWesthuizen, he has that assassin look in his eyes and I like that in a SH

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Wales will win the 6N.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:34 pm

RubyGuby wrote:That Hidalgo-Clyne looks some player IMO - Something about him reminds me of Joost VDWesthuizen, he has that assassin look in his eyes and I like that in a SH

thumbsup

He is very well groomed Wink A perfect Edinburgh player.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:39 pm

monty junior wrote:Scotland beat Wales in Cardiff in 2002!

I stand corrected 22-27 Wales lost Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:42 pm

rodders wrote:Wales will win the 6N.

I think whomever wins the first game between Ireland and Wales in Dublin will set their 6 nations up. To be honest I think England at Twickenham and Ireland in Dublin might be a little too much for us this season, especially since we're not even sure which players will be back from long term injury, a lot of the players who got injuries are out for 6+ months which takes them to the end of this season. Most will simply not be pushed back for the last few weeks for the season and will probably start fresh next season now.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Scratch that England will do the slam if they have both Wales and Ireland at twickers...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:57 pm

TJ wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:That Hidalgo-Clyne looks some player IMO - Something about him reminds me of Joost VDWesthuizen, he has that assassin look in his eyes and I like that in a SH

thumbsup

He is very well groomed Wink  A perfect Edinburgh player.

Hmmm, who needs to be arrested?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

:-)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next