The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Player List (playing outside of Scotland) & transfers

+29
NeilyBroon
Tattie Scones RRN
EWT Spoons
True Raven
BamBam
CraigS1874
SirBurger
highland_scot
BigGee
Margin_Walker
sensisball
HammerofThunor
nickj
Nematode
Majestic83
George Carlin
IanBru
alive555
Captain_Sensible
RDW
Prothero
clivemcl
madmaccas
demosthenes
Geordie
MacKnocked-on
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
A Simply Mesmeric Try
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Scottish Player List (playing outside of Scotland) & transfers - Page 2 Empty Scottish Player List (playing outside of Scotland) & transfers

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Wed 21 Oct 2015, 10:08 am

First topic message reminder :

This is still a tad out-of-date and is in the process of being updated.

This is a reference thread to pool a list of Scottish and Scots qualified players that play outside of Scotland. Only having 2 pro teams means there are surely a good few of them.

Why? Well, mainly as a reference and to discuss the talent that plays away from home and, if they are playing well, hype about them getting picked for Scotland, or getting signed by Edinburgh or Glasgow.  Laugh

I'll start off with the ones I know of, and I'll update the thread as we go.

Please let me know who I've missed, and of any transfers or retirements!

* = International Cap
^ = International A Team & Sevens caps

Click on a spoiler to reveal more information

Guinness Pro12 (Wales & Ireland):

English Aviva Premiership:

English Championship:

French Top 14:

French Pro D2:

Super 15 & Currie Cup, ITM Cup, NRC:

Japan & North America:

cake

Home Region Squads
Here are the current 2015/2016 squads for Edinburgh Rugby & Glasgow Warriors. This will always be up to date.
* = International Cap
^International A Team caps & Sevens
NSQ = Not Scottish Qualified
Current Edinburgh Squad:
Current Glasgow Warriors Squad:

----------------------------------------------

All known Scottish Pro Players sorted by position, by Majestic83:

(ping-pong and lawn bowls pros coming soon)
Rugby League - Players to Watch:

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 5:31 pm; edited 58 times in total
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Scottish Player List (playing outside of Scotland) & transfers - Page 2 Empty Re: Scottish Player List (playing outside of Scotland) & transfers

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Wed 11 Nov 2015, 3:06 pm

Harry Leonard, showed much potential in his early days but did a bit of a Ruaridh Jackson - impressive first few caps then withered away to mediocrity. To be fair, I think Jackson is a very good player now, and that he was unlucky not to take Weir's place in the WC squad. 

How is Leonard playing these days?

Was just reading about Huw Jones. He really needs to be signed (or capped) soon. A great talent that has played his way into the top South African teams. He had trials with Sharks and Cheetahs before being signed by the Stormers.

He's another former pupil of Millfield, like young Adam Hastings. Millfield rugby alumni also include, JPR Williams, Gareth Edwards, Olly, Morgan, Matt Perry, Chris Robshaw, Will Harries and Rys Ruddock). Quite an impressive list!

Other alumni include swimmer Mark Foster, Model Sophie Dahl and actress Rose Leslie [of Clan Leslie] aka Igrid the Wildling - "You know nothin' John Snow".
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Scottish Player List (playing outside of Scotland) & transfers - Page 2 Empty Re: Scottish Player List (playing outside of Scotland) & transfers

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 14 Nov 2015, 5:25 pm

David Sisi left Bath and returned to London Irish this season. OP updated.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sat 14 Nov 2015, 10:43 pm

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:OP updated with Edinburgh's David Denton moving to Bath.

Also, added the other McKenzie kiwi. Brothers Damien (FH/FB for Chiefs) and Marty (FB/WG for Crusaders) are cousins to Robbie Robinson (FB/FH for Toyota Verblitz and formerly of the Chiefs).

Damien is scots qualified but Marty isn't. Marty played nz7s so is tied to them.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Sat 14 Nov 2015, 10:46 pm

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:David Sisi left Bath and returned to London Irish this season. OP updated.

He's actually at Irish on a season long loan. Still technically a Bath player.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sun 15 Nov 2015, 4:07 am

Margin_Walker wrote:
A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:David Sisi left Bath and returned to London Irish this season. OP updated.

He's actually at Irish on a season long loan. Still technically a Bath player.
Cheers, OP reverted.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:04 pm

I see that Adam Sinclair is now playing for London Irish, making his debut for the A team tonight in Bristol. He was a decent prospect and was at the Perpignan academy for a while and I believe he has been playing in France D2. Nice to see he is getting the chance to step up a league.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 24 Nov 2015, 6:34 am

I notice every week that Bordeaux-Begles have two players called Hugh Chalmers and Blair Connor. Shuggy is a 31 year old Kiwi apparently and Connor is a 26 year old Aussie who apparently wants to play for France but is satisfyingly ginger.

I have no reason other than their Newton Mearns/Ravelston names to believe that they may be SQ, but that's the sort of superficial idiot I am.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 24 Nov 2015, 9:38 am

George Carlin wrote:I notice every week that Bordeaux-Begles have two players called Hugh Chalmers and Blair Connor. Shuggy is a 31 year old Kiwi apparently and Connor is a 26 year old Aussie who apparently wants to play for France but is satisfyingly ginger.

I have no reason other than their Newton Mearns/Ravelston names to believe that they may be SQ, but that's the sort of superficial idiot I am.

Noticed these 2 quite a few times as well but from what I remember I don't think either qualify for Scotland. Think both of them have Scottish links but its from their great grand parents.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 24 Nov 2015, 9:49 am

Another two SQ players to add to the list that are playing in New Zealand. Rob Thompson who is a centre in the Highlanders squad. Not seen him play yet so not sure how good he is, mates in NZ say he is pretty good though.
The other is Sam McNicol who is a full back or wing, played for the Hurricanes last season in a few games and looked very impressive. Signed for the chiefs this season and will be battling for the full back slot with Damian McKenzie.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:23 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Another two SQ players to add to the list that are playing in New Zealand. Rob Thompson who is a centre in the Highlanders squad. Not seen him play yet so not sure how good he is, mates in NZ say he is pretty good though.
The other is Sam McNicol who is a full back or wing, played for the Hurricanes last season in a few games and looked very impressive. Signed for the chiefs this season and will be battling for the full back slot with Damian McKenzie.

With Cuthbert, McLennan and Strauss all out of contract at the end of the year (and of questionnable ability) these two could well be worth a look for Edinburgh. We have Ben Atiga on the books now as well to give guided tours of the City to all newcomers. What's not to like.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:Another two SQ players to add to the list that are playing in New Zealand. Rob Thompson who is a centre in the Highlanders squad. Not seen him play yet so not sure how good he is, mates in NZ say he is pretty good though.

With Cuthbert, McLennan and Strauss all out of contract at the end of the year (and of questionnable ability) these two could well be worth a look for Edinburgh. We have Ben Atiga on the books now as well to give guided tours of the City to all newcomers. What's not to like.

Presumably these guided tours will be starting from Auld Jock's Pie Shop, encompassing all the culinary highlights of Edinburgh and culminate with a deep fried mars bar?

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:34 pm

highland_scot wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Presumably these guided tours will be starting from Auld Jock's Pie Shop, encompassing all the culinary highlights of Edinburgh and culminate with a deep fried mars bar?
Still better than Ryan Grant and Ryan Wilson's tour of Glasgow which allegedly culminates in a 4am stooshie in a Dumbarton Road kebab shop dressed as Wolverine.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 26 Dec 2015, 7:18 pm

Edinburgh stalwart Roddy Grant has retired at the age of 28. Sad to lose him so early.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Sat 26 Dec 2015, 7:51 pm

Maitland had a very good game at 15 for Irish today. Lots of time on the ball and very powerful bringing it forwards.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 5:33 pm

Just been watching Exeter v the Ospreys on BT Sport and the commentator mentioned that the Ospreys no6 Sam Underhill was SQ. Only 19 and looks a fantastic player already but he's qualified for three or four countries so perhaps he might not see himself as a Scotland player. Another for the list though.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sun 24 Jan 2016, 5:36 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Just been watching Exeter v the Ospreys on BT Sport and the commentator mentioned that the Ospreys no6 Sam Underhill was SQ. Only 19 and looks a fantastic player already but he's qualified for three or four countries so perhaps he might not see himself as a Scotland player. Another for the list though.

Interesting! I'll add him.

Cheers
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 24 Jan 2016, 5:42 pm

The English and Welsh are creaming themselves over him just now, so I can't see him becoming Scottish any time soon!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 5:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:The English and Welsh are creaming themselves over him just now, so I can't see him becoming Scottish any time soon!

Yes, I think he will very much be in the same bracket as Johnny Williams in that respect.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 24 Jan 2016, 7:21 pm

He's a very exciting talent and I'd be grateful to see him in a Scottish jersey, however, he's played for England U18 and is really developing with the Ospreys so I feel they should have first pick over him.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Wed 27 Jan 2016, 9:17 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:The English and Welsh are creaming themselves over him just now, so I can't see him becoming Scottish any time soon!

Yes, I think he will very much be in the same bracket as Johnny Williams in that respect.  
I noticed Johnny Willian's was not in the England under 20 squad, surely big been should get on the phone

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 27 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

CraigS1874 wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:

I noticed Johnny Willian's was not in the England under 20 squad, surely big been should get on the phone

Think it was mentioned that he wasn't in our u20 squad due to being a first team player for his club, was someone else under the same category but can't remember who

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 27 Jan 2016, 1:38 pm

For any tweeters on here, the Scottish exiles page is worth a follow, some pretty good info on the up and coming players with quite a few in Aviva premiership academies.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 07 Apr 2016, 1:19 pm

Matt Proudfoot, the ex Scotland prop is one for coaches list.

Interesting to see another Scots coach making a name for himself to the extent he's being tipped as Coetzee's assistant and / or forwards coach:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/possible-bok-coaching-staff/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Apr 2016, 11:16 am

I remember when Proudfoot came through as a player. Big unit and hotly tipped but never really made his mark.

Certainly useful keeping track of this coaches. I think Edinburgh will be doing some headhunting come the end of next season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 08 Apr 2016, 11:30 am

Simon Cross - Worcester defence coach

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri 08 Apr 2016, 11:50 am

Scarlets fans are saying they've signed crusaders wing johnny mcnichol, sounds a bit Scottish to me

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Apr 2016, 11:55 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Simon Cross - Worcester defence coach

Not been a great season!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 08 Apr 2016, 12:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Not been a great season!

Disagree - they were probably favourites to go down so it is a great effort to stay up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 08 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

True Raven wrote:Scarlets fans are saying they've signed crusaders wing johnny mcnichol, sounds a bit Scottish to me

He's apparently Scottish qualified, so if that's true, could be good news. Unless Wales want him and it's part of his Scarlets contract.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Apr 2016, 1:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Not been a great season!

Disagree - they were probably favourites to go down so it is a great effort to stay up.

I suppose there's something in that.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Mon 18 Apr 2016, 1:54 am

Noticed the Mighty Coo (Mike Cusack) on the bench for Falcons against Irish. I hadn't noticed he'd left Glasgow so duly updated the OP.

It's going to be interesting to see who goes where in the coming months.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 21 Apr 2016, 10:44 am

Moray Low seems to like it at Exeter...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36092526

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Moray Low seems to like it at Exeter...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36092526

I saw that. Fantastic club and I'm really pleased for him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 17 May 2016, 5:00 pm

Proudfoot announced as Boks asst to Coetzee

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/proudfoot-joins-springbok-coaching-staff/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 May 2016, 5:33 pm

nickj wrote:Proudfoot announced as Boks asst to Coetzee

Useful for him to gain experience with a smaller rugby nation. He can join up as Toonie's assistant for Scotland once Cotter has won us the World Cup.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 17 May 2016, 5:40 pm

Yep. Presume we'll poach him, like we did old Richie Gray, once he's found his feet at international
Level. You've got to feel for these minnows...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 19 May 2016, 4:24 pm

Ritchie Gray signs a 4 year contract with Toulouse.

No return to Glasgow then....

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 May 2016, 4:35 pm

He must be enjoying life in Fran$e.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 19 May 2016, 7:10 pm

nickj wrote:Proudfoot announced as Boks asst to Coetzee

Not quite the same level, but young(ish, was a year above me at school) Scottish coach is now the assistant manager at Canada

http://www.scrummagazine.com/2016/05/17/scot-named-assistant-coach-canada/

Been coaching out there for a couple of years now

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 26 May 2016, 2:59 pm

Just seen a tweet from James Tennant that Sean Maitland had a medical at Saracens last week and the move will be confirmed after Saturday's match Shocked

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 26 May 2016, 3:42 pm

We have signed your U20 back row / lock Andrew Davidson for next season. And of all the positions locks seem to progress very well, so one for the future.

Looks a big lad already. Will be on dual contract probably with Blaydon or Tynedale I would imagine.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 26 May 2016, 3:47 pm

Maits no Sarries is a great move. Also chuffed for Davidson. I hope he gets some gametime. He seems to have played a bit at 6 too...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 26 May 2016, 4:14 pm

Very pleased for Maitland. This move makes a lot of sense for both parties. He'll do well there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 26 May 2016, 4:15 pm

Good news on Maitland - hoping he gets considered for wing as well as FB as he'll be second fiddle to Alex Goode no doubt.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 26 May 2016, 4:42 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:We have signed your U20 back row / lock Andrew Davidson for next season. And of all the positions locks seem to progress very well, so one for the future.

Looks a big lad already. Will be on dual contract probably with Blaydon or Tynedale I would imagine.
It'll be great to see Davidson at KP - I always get accused of shouting too much for the Scotland boys. Of course that's rubbish, but I do occasionally lose my s**t when Ally Hogg makes a carry.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Aug 2016, 8:45 am

I've tried to update the list of players outwith Scotland in the Pro12 and the Aviva, might need some work:

Guinness Pro12 (Wales & Ireland):

Connacht
LK - Ally Muldowney^
BR - Eoghan Masterson

Ospreys
BR - Sam Underhill

Scarlets
BR - John Barclay*
WG - Jonny McNicholl

English Aviva Premiership:

Bath
N8 - David Denton*
BR - David Sisi
FH - Adam Hastings

Bristol
PR - Kyle Traynor*
BR - Mitch Eadie
WG - George Watkins

Exeter Chiefs Chief
PR - Moray Low*
LK - Ollie Atkins^
BR - Aaron Thomson
FB - Byron McGuigan^

Gloucester
SH - Greig Laidlaw*,
IC – Matt Scott

Harlequins
WG - Tim Visser*
WG - Robbie Nairn
FH - Ruaridh Jackson*

Newcastle Falcons
PR - John Welsh*
HK - Scott Lawson*
Lock - Glen Young
Lock / 6 - Andrew Davidson
BR - Ally Hogg*
SH - Rhaurid Dawson

Northampton Saints
LK - Alan Gregory
FH - G.Haldane
FH - R.Hutchison

Sale Sharks
PR - Jamie Ross
BR - George Bordill
N8 - George Blackwell
OC/WG Byron McGuigan

Saracens
LK - Jim Hamilton*
BR - Kelly Brown*
CR - Duncan Taylor*
WG - Sean Maitland*

Wasps
HK - Sam James
SH - Jamie Stevenson

Worcester Warriors
N8 - Tom Dodd
FH - Tom Heathcote*
CR - Alex Grove*
FB - Alex Nisbet

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:45 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated following feedback/player updates from RDW & MFL)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 05 Aug 2016, 8:48 am

A few changes - I think Steve McColl has left Gloucester. Scott MaCloed has retired too. Are Scott Lawson and Ally Hogg still playing?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Aug 2016, 8:55 am

I was relying on Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources) and it still has McColl at Gloucester, BUT, had I bothered to look one result down in the list of google search results I would have seen he's at Yorkshire now. Thanks

Scott Lawson tweeted 6 days ago he was away on the Falcons training camp so I guess so.

Not sure on Ally Hogg, not seen anything saying he's called it a day

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:27 am

Also Byron McGuigan has recently signed for Sale

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:32 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Also Byron McGuigan has recently signed for Sale

Updated, thanks

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next