The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The future of SA Rugby a question for Biltong

+3
Biltong
FerN
emack2
7 posters

Go down

The future of SA Rugby a question for Biltong Empty The future of SA Rugby a question for Biltong

Post by emack2 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 11:18

Hi,just as NZ are saying goodbye to perhaps a team load of AB`s including fringe players how
many SA players will you lose?
At Super and Currie cup level you have had always had class players,know you like me don`t
like non -residents being picked.NZ will NEVER do that for obvious reasons,Aus doing it too now.
After the Japan match, and considering you had a bonus point for try scoring then the solid
improvement.No witchhunt should ensure but WILL IT?
With inclusion of an extra Super side will it strengthen or weaken them,short term maybe
long term?
My respect for SA Rugby is second only to that of NZ,2016 on think that the old Home
advantage/travel bit will be crucial again.
Australia may well be the form side for awhile as SA/NZ completely rebuild for Nz
the players are there.BUT can they find a Captain like McCaw first on the pitch last off?

emack2

Back to top Go down

The future of SA Rugby a question for Biltong Empty Re: The future of SA Rugby a question for Biltong

Post by FerN Mon 26 Oct 2015, 07:30

We should be fine Alan. I will just look from a national perspective. Biltong will probably go into more detail a bit later on.

People that will proabably retire is:

15:
14:Habana
13:
12:JDV
11:JP
10:
9:Fourie du Preez, Pienaar
8:
7:
6:Schalk
5:
4:Victor
3:Beast
2:Bismarck du Plessis
1:Jannie du Plessis

So that is 10 or so that will retire out of our "starting line-up". But I think Lood is probably already better than Victor is now. Malherbe and Nyakane looks good. Strauss isn't too bad. Loosies we should be fine with. Scrumhalf will be a problem. Paige only played one test against USA - he looked good, but can't really compare that game to a game against NZ or Aus. He is also 26 already. Cobus is also there but also didn't have a good run in the RC. Kriel is also probably in JDV place. And on the wings we should be fine as well.

It will probably take some time for us to get our cohesion right. But I think we will be able to compete well enough.

FerN

Back to top Go down

The future of SA Rugby a question for Biltong Empty Re: The future of SA Rugby a question for Biltong

Post by Biltong Mon 26 Oct 2015, 07:38

Alan, those Fern showed are most likely the retirements. Although I think JP Pietersen might not yet, he is only 29

Currently we have a lot of youngster covering most positions, wing and halfbaxk has questionable dpeth.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Mon 26 Oct 2015, 08:03

A Bok Team going forward:

1. Frans Malherbe
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Trevor Nyakane
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Lood De Jager
6. Marcel Coetzee
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen

9. Rudy Paige / Cobus Reinach
10. Pollard / Lambie
11. Lwazi Mvovo
12. Damien De allende
13. Jesse Kriel / Jan Serfontein
14. JP Pietersen
15. Willie Le Roux

So there are good players available to cover for those who are retiring.

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 26 Oct 2015, 08:53

The players I would consider going forward.

Fullbacks-Jessie Kriel/Willie le Roux/Andries Coetzee

Wings-JP Pietersen/Jumbo Ulengo/Francois Hougaard/JJ Engelbrecht/Movo/Senatla/Travis Ismael/kobus v wyk

Midfielders-Damien de Allende/Jan Seefontein/Jesse Kriel/Harold Vorster/Burger Odendaal/Francois Venter

Flyhalves-Lambie/Pollard/Boshoff

Halfbacks-Kevin Luiters/Cobus Reinach/Rugby Paige/Faf de Klerk/Cheslin Kolbe

These are just the backs
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Mon 26 Oct 2015, 09:03

What about Mapoe at centre; Jaintjies at Flyhalf, and Lionel Mnisi on the wing?

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 26 Oct 2015, 09:18

I like Mnisi, I think Mapoe is too slow, and Jantjies has an attitude.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 26 Oct 2015, 09:19

But Mnisi is a very creative and well skilled centre, won't put hom on wing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 26 Oct 2015, 13:32

Mapoe has super hands on him, offloads well, and slips tackles as well as anyone in SA. Not Habana fast, but he's got the gas going forward. think his ship has sailed though, if I'm honest. He isn't Duane Vermeulen good, which you have to be when youre nearing 30 without a meaningful cap. I'm not the biggest Serfontein fan, due to the fact that he offers the square root of nothing going forward, but at least he can tackle and defend, so hopefully he takes 13, and we never speak of Jesse Kriel again. I'd love to see Jaco Kriel in the mix, but there's probably a long list of loosies ahead of him. Harold Voster is also another quality 12/13. So basically the Lions deserve some damn Springboks
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 14:05

A question for Springbok fans from an Ulster fan, Pienaar hasn't been at his best since he came back from injury but has there always been such a hatred of him in SA?

When I see the team announced the biggest issue with fans seems to be whether he is or isn't in the squad

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 26 Oct 2015, 14:27

It isn!5 hatred, Pienaar has been a bok favourite of mine for a long time, his slow and deliberate service ehind te ruck is frustrating, we want a wuick cleaning sniping halfback
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 27 Oct 2015, 05:38

I think SA should send a few players Holland's way, they then may be able to qualify for a RWC and it would do rugby the world of good in Holland as it is a very growing sport here.

G'wan SA, send a couple of those second string players with Dutch last names this way, nobody will notice Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Oct 2015, 08:20

eirebilly wrote:I think SA should send a few players Holland's way, they then may be able to qualify for a RWC and it would do rugby the world of good in Holland as it is a very growing sport here.

G'wan SA, send a couple of those second string players with Dutch last names this way, nobody will notice Wink

I am pretty sure if Holland does some recruiting via their universities they can get plenty of quality players who can qualify for them whilst still young.

a bursary with accommodation, plus some proper pocket money and you will find plenty who will be willing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 28 Oct 2015, 06:01

Would not be surprised to see the Dutch getting more involved in recruiting players from SA. They really embraced the RWC this year showing loads of games on terrestrial TV (mainly due to Visser being a part of it) and local clubs have swelled with new kids wanting to play rugby now. Soccer, since Hollands dismal performance in qualification, has dropped slightly in popularity and the Dutch have been overwhelmed with the sportsmanship in rugby.

The Dutch don't do things by halves and money will be no problem for them.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down