The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC2015 R.I.P thoughts for discussion

+6
goneagain
Biltong
Cyril
LordDowlais
rodders
emack2
10 posters

Go down

RWC2015 R.I.P thoughts for discussion Empty RWC2015 R.I.P thoughts for discussion

Post by emack2 Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Well here we are at the end of another RWC almost,for me it has been enjoyable we have seen a
lot of brilliant games.What if anything have we learned that wasn't known or predictable?
The draw was to early?Winner Group A would probably make the Final.The other side of the
draw.NZvSA would be there Final[if they met].
That in no particular order NZ,Argentina,France,Ireland,SA,Scotland,and any two from 3 Group A.
That games would be settled or affected by injuries,midweek games,refs/TMO`s decisions etc.
That because only at RWCs are teams at full strength there would be surprise teams,some
would under or over perform.
That the laws especially around Scrums/Breakdowns were penalty traps down to interpretation.
That 4N`s and 6 N`s sides are pretty much equal to each other give or take.
ALL of those were known or could be predictated what wasn't of course was which sides would
be the surprise ones.
When selecting Squads/teams most here would say well he should go /he shouldn't etc.it is
easy for pundits to say with hindsight.We have the players IF we select them NOW but
doesn't say so at the beginning of the campaign.
I have watched,listened,read,and learnt a lot from the media and replys to same.
It is plain to me that what is the norm outside of a RWC and within is the mindset.
Different mindsets,stopping the other side playing rather playing there normal game.
Teams for various reasons targetting games to play weakened sides against,
over and above player management.
EVERY one should be proud of there teams they gave there all sometimes in adversity.
No witch hunts/knee jerk reactions switch of cool down and build for the future.
The SH 2016 will look different with extra Super sides,NZ/SA in rebuild mode
whether Aus overseas players will contest Super/RC matches or not.
Things in NH being discussed like to many games played.Moving timing of 6Ns
establishing a NH Super Tournament.Country before club,picking overseas
based players.
Limiting non-qualified ones,capping squad spending at a given rate etc.
For me the most urgent need is a reviewing of laws in Scrum/Breakdown
area.Simplification of same a standard interpretation incumbent on
all officials.
Use of the TMO expand it or get rid of silly protocols or abandon it,look at
the Card system and citings,and standard awards for each offence.
IF the Ref makes a complete howler by mistake either support him
or keep quiet WBA.Don`t hang him out to dry. Hug

Last edited by emack2 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

emack2

Back to top Go down

RWC2015 R.I.P thoughts for discussion Empty Re: RWC2015 R.I.P thoughts for discussion

Post by rodders Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:35 pm

Great world cup - well done to the hosts and the weather man.

Group stages were unbelievably competitive and what is clear is that the best 2 sides are in the final and best 4 in the semis so can't argue with that.

Scheduling of the group games needs improved though - some of the tier 2 teams got a raw deal...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

RWC2015 R.I.P thoughts for discussion Empty Re: RWC2015 R.I.P thoughts for discussion

Post by LordDowlais Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:43 pm

I really have enjoyed this world cup, I am not going to lie to you.

The only thing that I bemoan is, I wonder how far Wales would have gone with a full side ?

I think we could have got to the final, or the semi at least. But, here we are. I can reflect with great optimism that Wales have re-enforced their strength in depth, and have unearthed some decent players who can in future emulate those they replaced when they get a bit more experience. That is what the world cup is this time for me, oh, and of course Japan beating the Boks.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:11 pm

For me it's summed up by Japan.

Beat SA in the ultimate giant-killing. Yay for the lower tier side Smile
Lost chance to progress because of having to play Scotland after unfairly quick turnaround. Get back in your place lower-tier side Sad

The pros and cons of international rugby.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:44 pm

Rest in pieces South African attacking rugby
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Has it finished? Who won?

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 pm

goneagain wrote:Has it finished? Who won?

Yeah, a bit rude. We're still eating, Alun! Smile

This RWC is still very much alive for us Kiwi and Australian fans.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:11 am

Ref the TMO - I think it needs to be expanded upon. It would be hard to get rid of now, and the TV/big screen is always going to play the replays for all to see.

I wonder if EVERY try scored should now go to the TMO and asked 'Any reason I cannot award the try'? Or should the TMO's be reviewing this anyway and given the opportunity to raise issue with the ref if they see something?

It's a tricky one and I know some folks are already annoyed with the amount TMO intervention, but some poor reffing decisions have really put a dampener on some of these matches, IMO.

Really hope Nigel Owens has a good one next Saturday!

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:19 am

I like the fact that the TMO is more invovled in the game, and that the TMO and the REF are working well with each other.

I do believe that the Australia try by Adam ashley cooper off the pass of Drew Mitchel had gone too the TMO it would of been disallowed. So maybe the TMO should be used more often that he is right now.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:05 am

Perhaps this is a discussion for next week.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down