The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland announces his return to New Zealand

+21
Gwlad
johnrgby
yappysnap
aucklandlaurie
SecretFly
eirebilly
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
Cardiff Dave
Cyril
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
Notch
Luckless Pedestrian
Dontheman2
funnyExiledScot
RubyGuby
Knowsit17
Scarpia
LondonTiger
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gatland announces his return to New Zealand Empty Gatland announces his return to New Zealand

Post by LondonTiger Thu 05 Nov 2015, 4:06 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34738073

So he will leave the Wales job in 2019, assuming he is not dismissed before then of course.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Gatland announces his return to New Zealand Empty Re: Gatland announces his return to New Zealand

Post by Scarpia Thu 05 Nov 2015, 4:15 pm

Good to see someone honouring his contract.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Gatland announces his return to New Zealand Empty Re: Gatland announces his return to New Zealand

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 05 Nov 2015, 4:20 pm

In a way this is good, it gives the WRU four years to plan his successor rather than having to scramble after the next WC. How carefully they plan remains to be seen of course.

He's definitely earned 6-12 months out if that happens to be the case. Would be great for him to be able to coach a club based in his home country and obviously a tremendous acquisition for any club that gets him. Certainly doesn't sound like he wants to call it quits in the near future.

Until then I look forward to seeing what else he and Wales can achieve. While he has by no means made Wales into a perfect side, the improvement during his time at the helm is absolutely undeniable.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 05 Nov 2015, 4:51 pm

Nice one Gats - Diolch Yn Fawr!

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 05 Nov 2015, 5:18 pm

Good decision and I like the timing of the announcement. Very clear and everyone knows where they stand.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Thu 05 Nov 2015, 6:24 pm

I like this for two reasons firstly puts to bed those England will come in for him rumours. And suggests he sees he has work to do

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Nov 2015, 2:30 pm

I hope they're not grooming Howley to be his successor.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 06 Nov 2015, 4:39 pm

They should be grooming Wayne Pivac Lucky
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Nov 2015, 5:13 pm

Good call, Notch. They've got a very handy coaching team down at the Scarlets.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 06 Nov 2015, 5:44 pm

I never thought that Gatland would leave Wales after this years rugby world cup.

I all ways thought he would stick it out untill his contract had finished, good on Gatland for given the WRU plenty of notice to get some one trained up too take over.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Nov 2015, 5:28 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I hope they're not grooming Howley to be his successor.

LP,

I really think they are and have said it for sometime but god do I hope I am wrong
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Sat 07 Nov 2015, 10:36 am

Not Howley the man who won the 6Ns in 2013! Surely something to be said for a former fly-half after a hooker. Grace after grunt? Besides he's one of the boys. Surely that factor is in the mix for the England coaching debacle? I'm talking about team solidarlity rather than familiarity with the boss

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Nov 2015, 11:22 am

There has always been a huge resentment on this forum towards Howley. But he is the right man to continue the good work Gatland has already put in place.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 07 Nov 2015, 11:31 am

Four more years of Gatball. Welsh players with flair or attacking nous may as well retire from international rugby now (or wait a until he's gone if they're still young enough).

I guess NZ haven't come knocking anyway.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Nov 2015, 2:57 pm

I still say we won the 6Ns in 2013 despite Holwey not because of him, our attack has been blunt for the past 18 months now and he is our attack coach and then we have McBryde as forwards coach and our scrum was just awesome in the WC wasn't it?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Nov 2015, 3:11 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I still say we won the 6Ns in 2013 despite Holwey not because of him, our attack has been blunt for the past 18 months now and he is our attack coach and then we have McBryde as forwards coach and our scrum was just awesome in the WC wasn't it?

I say horses for courses mate. The players in the Welsh attack play exactly the same way for their respective clubs. Therefor how can the coach be held accountable for their lack of flair?

We had flair in our 2008 GS. We also had Shane Williams and Gavin Henson to inspire it. The game plan and tactics reflect the players selected and not the coaches vision for attack.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Nov 2015, 9:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I still say we won the 6Ns in 2013 despite Holwey not because of him, our attack has been blunt for the past 18 months now and he is our attack coach and then we have McBryde as forwards coach and our scrum was just awesome in the WC wasn't it?

I say horses for courses mate. The players in the Welsh attack play exactly the same way for their respective clubs. Therefor how can the coach be held accountable for their lack of flair?

We had flair in our 2008 GS. We also had Shane Williams and Gavin Henson to inspire it. The game plan and tactics reflect the players selected and not the coaches vision for attack.

Gats does seem to have influence with regards to player's positions at their day jobs. Maybe he also has influence as to how they play too. Wouldn't be surprised.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 07 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm

Cyril wrote:Four more years of Gatball. Welsh players with flair or attacking nous may as well retire from international rugby now (or wait a until he's gone if they're still young enough).

picard Good enough to beat england. I would stick to your side of Offa's Dyke until you are good enough Smile
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Nov 2015, 11:36 am

I wonder whether Gatland has spent more than 50% of his adult living in UK.
Out of curiousity - no other motive.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Nov 2015, 11:39 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Cyril wrote:Four more years of Gatball. Welsh players with flair or attacking nous may as well retire from international rugby now (or wait a until he's gone if they're still young enough).

picard   Good enough to beat england.  I would stick to your side of Offa's Dyke until you are good enough Smile
Well the skids were greased for you by putting Ford out there with Farrell in rnidfield.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Nov 2015, 1:37 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Gats does seem to have influence with regards to player's positions at their day jobs. Maybe he also has influence as to how they play too. Wouldn't be surprised.

We blooded a good few players during the last few months which will hopefully refresh the squad for the next few years.

There are some young exciting Welsh players showing their skills that didn't make the squad too, Patchell and Owen Williams look great.

Refreshing the squad adds and takes different skill sets from the match day squad. I would most like to see an exciting young centre emerge to push Roberts for his place. So that we could have two playmakers at first receiver similar to what the Aussies were doing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 08 Nov 2015, 1:39 pm

For all of Wales injuries, they have been forced to pick some of the younger talent and if I am honest, they looked very good at the highest level. I can see some good things for Wales in the future.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

We blooded a good few players during the last few months which will hopefully refresh the squad for the next few years.

There are some young exciting Welsh players showing their skills that didn't make the squad too, Patchell and Owen Williams look great.

Refreshing the squad adds and takes different skill sets from the match day squad. I would most like to see an exciting young centre emerge to push Roberts for his place. So that we could have two playmakers at first receiver similar to what the Aussies were doing.

Maes,

When would you blood these players or rather when do you think we should blood them?

For me I would like to see Evans, Moriarty, Patchell or O Williams, T Morgan, Amos, Dixon, Walker and Anscombe all given some more serious game time but when is the big question. 6 Nations, summer tours or AIs, for me i would be the AIs try and introduce one or two a game into a solid experience set up. I don't think we should make mass changes as that doesn't benefit anyone other than the opposition.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:34 pm

Considering we still have a large injury list I would have thought we will see a decent drop in the number of caps in the squad as a whole this year.

It's a great opportunity and something I think we should be excited about.

I hope to see a few young forwards getting involved too. Thornton as well as Rob Evans and Moriarty as you mentioned.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Nov 2015, 4:01 pm

He gavce hiself four more years. I would agree it would lake abut 4 years for his to lose sifficient weight to be lowed to fly commercial.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Nov 2015, 4:19 pm

doctor_grey wrote:He gavce hiself four more years.  I would agree it would lake abut 4 years for his to lose sifficient weight to be  lowed to fly commercial.  

Are you on the booze this afternoon doc...? Or did you turn off the spell checker???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Nov 2015, 4:27 pm

He's on smartphone...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Nov 2015, 4:34 pm

SecretFly wrote:He's on smartphone...

And I guess judging the illegibility of most Medical professionals handwriting is likely similar to their texting skills it is no surprise..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 08 Nov 2015, 4:44 pm

doctor_grey wrote:He gavce hiself four more years.  I would agree it would lake abut 4 years for his to lose sifficient weight to be  lowed to fly commercial.  

Doc, its not only doctors handwriting that has illegibility issues???

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 08 Nov 2015, 4:48 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I wonder whether Gatland has spent more than 50% of his adult living in UK.  
Out of curiousity - no other motive.

He still has property in New Zealand, and appears to be down here quite a bit.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 5:06 pm

According to TRP former Wales and Lions prop Dai Young wants to become an international coach..He has recently signed a four year extension with Wasps so should be right handy. He has been touted before for the Wales job and given that he broke this news shortly before Gats' announcement could he possibly have been given a heads up? Wasps Gats Edwards Young Wales brain teaser or no brainer?

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 08 Nov 2015, 5:29 pm

Dai Young may be a good choice, for wasps he combines a very good backrow and scrum with smart and effective use of his back three, probably the best team in the league at bringing their wings into the game.

Of course there's always this bloke in 4 years time...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/hes-just-won-rugby-world-10380246

As an Englishman I'm fairly jealous that we seem to have no one picking up this kind of experience

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Nov 2015, 7:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Considering we still have a large injury list I would have thought we will see a decent drop in the number of caps in the squad as a whole this year.

I hope to see a few young forwards getting involved too. Thornton as well as Rob Evans and Moriarty as you mentioned.

We could in theory still name a first choice pack and hopefully the likes of Davies, Biggar, Roberts and North will still be fit so for a N10 and 12 to get game time it means dropping Biggar or Roberts so when would be best time to experiment there?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 08 Nov 2015, 7:34 pm

yappysnap wrote:Dai Young may be a good choice, for wasps he combines a very good backrow and scrum with smart and effective use of his back three, probably the best team in the league at bringing their wings into the game.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/hes-just-won-rugby-world-10380246

As an Englishman I'm fairly jealous that we seem to have no one picking up this kind of experience

It does make you wander if he is being lines up for Edwards job...By the way what is happening with Edwards? as he been offered a "NEW" contract?

Or has he been set free?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 08 Nov 2015, 8:26 pm

Video analyst for the Blues? that job in itself will take him till hes a very old man.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 08 Nov 2015, 8:52 pm

Defence coach for the blues mate

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Nov 2015, 9:06 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Dai Young may be a good choice, for wasps he combines a very good backrow and scrum with smart and effective use of his back three, probably the best team in the league at bringing their wings into the game.

It does make you wander if he is being lines up for Edwards job...By the way what is happening with Edwards? as he been offered a "NEW" contract?

Or has he been set free?

He's been offered a new contract but not signed yet, I think he's waiting to see what happens with the England job. I could see Young as forwards coach rather than defence coach but would he himself not have his sights sets on the bigger role now rather than a lower role.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 08 Nov 2015, 9:54 pm

yappysnap wrote:Defence coach for the blues mate

Youre right Yappy, the guy deserves a medal already.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 08 Nov 2015, 10:01 pm

Good call. Not sure we have one at present.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Nov 2015, 10:06 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Considering we still have a large injury list I would have thought we will see a decent drop in the number of caps in the squad as a whole this year.

We could in theory still name a first choice pack and hopefully the likes of Davies, Biggar, Roberts and North will still be fit so for a N10 and 12 to get game time it means dropping Biggar or Roberts so when would be best time to experiment there?

Well there is room for understudies and the odd friendly before the summer tour, plus the AIs as you mentioned earlier.

We are likely to be without two first line centres, possibly three, we have to look at back three combinations too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 10 Nov 2015, 5:13 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Well there is room for understudies and the odd friendly before the summer tour, plus the AIs as you mentioned earlier.

We are likely to be without two first line centres, possibly three, we have to look at back three combinations too.

Agreed but if Roberts is fit then only one of those 3 would feature anyway and for me its at 12 we now need to develop a youngsters (Dixon) if he wants to keep in the Roberts mould or .N.Other if he wants to change style a bit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 10 Nov 2015, 8:15 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Youre right Yappy, the guy deserves a medal already.

He's already got two

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 10 Nov 2015, 8:16 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Good call. Not sure we have one at present.

Don't worry apparently he'll be just as effective doing it via Skype and face time as in person

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Gatland announces his return to New Zealand Empty I hope they're not grooming Howley to be his successor.

Post by johnrgby Thu 12 Nov 2015, 11:14 am

I fear they are, but what a total shambles that would be, the attack coach who,s attacking plans were so good in 9 minutes playing Against 13 Aussies we failed to score, and in fact used grunt instead of guile when that was what was needed ans as a reward promote him so he can make a monumental foul up of the entire squad
johnrgby
johnrgby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:12 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:He's on smartphone...

And I guess judging the illegibility of most Medical professionals handwriting is likely similar to their texting skills it is no surprise..
Jeez,
I just saw how poorly I wrote that. Yes, it was from my @$&^# smartphone. That was pretty horrible...............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:15 pm

Dan'd weroy abowthe itt, Doc.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:47 pm

SecretFly wrote:Dan'd weroy abowthe itt, Doc.
Time for a beer, or two, or three.................

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Sun 15 Nov 2015, 5:22 pm

Certain people Peter Jackson for one in the TRP that the RFU will make him an offer he can't refuse. Shades of the Godfather! He cites Steve Hansens refusal as more categoric stating he couldn't coach against the ABs. Gatland says he's not interested. The WRU said they wouldn't welcome an approach. Gats is apparently interested in coaching the Lions again which would put him at odds with the RFU. He also has a cosy arrangement with Wales over spending time with his family in NZ. In any case he sees his next step as being back there in 2019. If that isn't cast iron lead lined and bombproof I don't know what is. Not to mention the morality of going back on his word and not to forget the suspicion that SL was stitched up by the RFU particularly over Armitage but possibly Burgess too. Still still people think the RFU can waft all that away with the golden chequebook. It beggars belief

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 02 Dec 2015, 2:01 am

LondonTiger wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34738073

So he will leave the Wales job in 2019, assuming he is not dismissed before then of course.

Who would dismiss him? Wishful thinking. The most successful NH coach by far. England would be glad to have had him but he knows, unlike Eddie, that it's a poison chalice of poliitcal infighting and mis-sold shares. Good job Eddie will be focussed on his investment role at Sachs of Gold so he can deal with the kit man.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 02 Dec 2015, 6:04 am

Gwlad wrote:...The most successful NH coach by far...
Woodward still has that record. I think even Wales would take a World Cup over a Grand Slam, and his team's long unbeaten run over the Southern Hemisphere Big 3 hasn't yet been bettered.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next