The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November

+8
blackcanelion
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
johnrgby
LeinsterFan4life
Geordie
George Carlin
yappysnap
12 posters

Go down

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Empty Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November

Post by yappysnap Sun 08 Nov 2015, 9:01 pm

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Glouce10     Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Babas10
Gloucester v Barbarians
Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester
Tuesday 17 November 2015
KO:19:45 GMT

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Babas10      Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Pumas_10
Barbarians v Argentina
Twickenham, London
Saturday 21 November 2015
KO: 15:05 GMT

The Barbarians squad v Gloucester and Argentina has been finalised. It features a delightful blend of attacking guile, youthful enthusiasm and gnarled, hard won experience. The side will be coached by World Rugby’s Coach of the Year 2015, Michael Cheika, fresh from his stunning revival of Australian Rugby.
One of the great joys of Baa Baas squad is to bring together past opponents and rivals onto the same side. This squad will be no different with opponents from Saturday’s World Cup Final and the previous week’s World Cup Semi-Finals becoming team mates.

Barbarians squad
Backs
Ryan Crotty (Crusaders & New Zealand)
Tawera Kerr Barlow (Chiefs & New Zealand)
Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies & Australia)
Pat Lambie (Sharks & South Africa)
Nehe Milner Skudder (Hurricanes & New Zealand)
Nemani Nadolo (Crusaders & Fiji)
Waisake Naholo (Highlanders & New Zealand)
Cobus Reinach (Sharks & South Africa)
Lima Sopoaga (Highlanders & New Zealand)
Joe Tomane (Brumbies & Australia)
Francois Venter (Cheetahs)
Forwards
Bakkies Botha (South Africa)
Scott Fardy (Brumbies & Australia)
Charlie Faumuina (Blues & New Zealand)
James Hanson (Reds & Australia)
Stephen Hoiles (Waratahs & Australia)
Lood de Jager (Cheetahs & South Africa)
Jamie Mackintosh (Chiefs & New Zealand)
Victor Matfield (Northampton Saints & South Africa)
Stephen Moore (Brumbies & Australia)
Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks & South Africa)
Ardie Savea (Hurricanes)
Toby Smith (Melbourne Rebels & Australia)
Warren Whitely (Lions & South Africa)

Depressing to see a Barbarians side without a single European player in there. Obviously it's the middle of our season here but it just seems to lose something without any player from this part of the world.

Question. Is there time and space in the NH for the Barbarians these days? Or are they a game too far?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Empty Re: Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November

Post by George Carlin Mon 09 Nov 2015, 11:01 am

I hope it's all right Yappy, but I updated the OP just so that people know when and where these matches are happening.

I think that as the best teams in the recent WC were those from darn sarth these games will probably get big crowds. I would also much rather see some NH players in the squad but having lost so many players to the World Cup, clubs like the Cherries would be within their rights to refuse to release players.

That said, the army seems to have first call on guys like Junior Bulumakau and Semesa Rokoduguni. I'd be interested to know how that relationship works if anyone knows.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Empty Re: Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November

Post by yappysnap Mon 09 Nov 2015, 11:05 am

No worries thumbsup

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 09 Nov 2015, 12:03 pm

I don't think it is a surprise to see no Europeans. The season has just started, many are recovering from the WC and others going in to European cup weeks.

Many of the players (certainly from an England perspective alone) look pretty jaded. No point giving them and additional game that's not necessary.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:18 pm

Why are these games happening?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Empty Question. Is there time and space in th

Post by johnrgby Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:12 pm

It depends I suppose on whether you are a traditionalist or not, I personally believe there always will be, but this close to WC and in the middle of the CCup may be the timing of this one is wrong, you could say the something similar about ThE Hakka it is seen so often these days is it a thing of the past?
johnrgby
johnrgby

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:39 pm

I just question the timing of these games. Always should be a place for the Baa Baas, but it needs to be sensibly planned, and im not sure these have been. Hence why its all SH players.

People can say what they like about the Haka...but stood in St James Park when the Tongans and Kiwis both belted out their war dances...it was a pleasure to watch and the crowds reaction to it was immense!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Baa Baa's v Glos and Argentina, 17 & 21 November Empty Hence why its all SH players.

Post by johnrgby Mon 09 Nov 2015, 4:04 pm

To give them a chance to earn a few bob before their Xmas break Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
johnrgby
johnrgby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 09 Nov 2015, 4:17 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:People can say what they like about the Haka...but stood in St James Park when the Tongans and Kiwis both belted out their war dances...it was a pleasure to watch and the crowds reaction to it was immense!

The Haka performed by NZ Maoris at Welford Road last year was incredible to watch.

I have no issue with the Haka.

I do have a major issue with self righteous prigs who wish to dictate how others should respond/react to it. After all the Haka and it's cousins are war dances intended to intimidate.

As to the Barbarians (sorry but not BaaBaas - that shoudl be consigned to the silver spoon, green well range rover brigade) I feel the schedule is already far too crowded - and nowadays we see the top players all the time. Back in the day when we would see SH teams only once every 3 or 4 years there was room, but now - meh.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 09 Nov 2015, 5:10 pm

The barbarians can be used to give tier 2 nations a game against quality opposition. A bit like the NZ Maori team are doing now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Nov 2015, 6:43 pm

Looking forward to seeing Cheika take the reins

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:46 am

LondonTiger wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:People can say what they like about the Haka...but stood in St James Park when the Tongans and Kiwis both belted out their war dances...it was a pleasure to watch and the crowds reaction to it was immense!

The Haka performed by NZ Maoris at Welford Road last year was incredible to watch.

I have no issue with the Haka.

I do have a major issue with self righteous prigs who wish to dictate how others should respond/react to it. After all the Haka and it's cousins are war dances intended to intimidate.

As to the Barbarians (sorry but not BaaBaas - that shoudl be consigned to the silver spoon, green well range rover brigade) I feel the schedule is already far too crowded - and nowadays we see the top players all the time. Back in the day when we would see SH teams only once every 3 or 4 years there was room, but now - meh.

It might help assuage your anger, if you realised that the Haka was imposed on the AB's as an marketing gimmick. Fortunately, we live in a more enlightened time and it's more difficult to dictate to others.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 Nov 2015, 5:29 am

I still respect Campese's decision to take a ball and play keepie-uppie in his own in-goal area every time the haka was happening.

The respect is in letting NZ perform it and whilst it would be polite to watch it, Campo's point was that it was an intimidation tactic and it entirely minimised its significance if he was facing the other way at the time. Nobody can make you stand there and react in a particular way.

Loved the Welsh team standing on the half way line until New Zealand had to move back first.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:09 am

George Carlin wrote:I still respect Campese's decision to take a ball and play keepie-uppie in his own in-goal area every time the haka was happening.

The respect is in letting NZ perform it and whilst it would be polite to watch it, Campo's point was that it was an intimidation tactic and it entirely minimised its significance if he was facing the other way at the time. Nobody can make you stand there and react in a particular way.

Loved the Welsh team standing on the half way line until New Zealand had to move back first.

George, I think you're missing the point. The AB's are happy not to perform it. Historically the players have asked to drop it a number of times, and they never used to do it at home (on that not both the Wallabies and Springboks also did war dances - NZ's practice probably dates back to 1899 Natives tour of the UK). They essentially did it at the request of the host nation. Given it was a requirement, they were always going to end up doing it properly at some point. So it's not a point of letting NZ perform it.

I'd like teams to able to respond, in any way they want. The reason we have a distance and between teams is concern over a potential dust up (probably inevitable as it happened in league). Not sure I agree per see, but it's a defensible decision by World Rugby.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:14 am

blackcanelion wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I still respect Campese's decision to take a ball and play keepie-uppie in his own in-goal area every time the haka was happening.

George, I think you're missing the point. The AB's are happy not to perform it. Historically the players have asked to drop it a number of times, and they never used to do it at home (on that not both the Wallabies and Springboks also did war dances - NZ's practice probably dates back to 1899 Natives tour of the UK). They essentially did it at the request of the host nation. Given it was a requirement, they were always going to end up doing it properly at some point. So it's not a point of letting NZ perform it.

I'd like teams to able to respond, in any way they want. The reason we have a distance and between teams is concern over a potential dust up (probably inevitable as it happened in league). Not sure I agree per see, but it's a defensible decision by World Rugby.
Fair do's - I wasn't aware that it's regarded like singing for your aunties at Christmas time. Or was that just me? Headscratch
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:56 am

George Carlin wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:

Fair do's - I wasn't aware that it's regarded like singing for your aunties at Christmas time. Or was that just me? Headscratch

I think they're happy enough to do it. My memory was when it was essentially a bunch of Pakeha players, with a few Maori who generally weren't Ngati Toa (but could even be Ngai Tahu or Waikato Iwi with historical greviences with Te Rauperaha), who didn't neccesarily know Kamete, it was often embarrassing for all involved (i.e. up until the 80's). Given how it's done now they'll be proud. I'm sure many players enjoy facing it. It's a bit of a right passage for those involved. But it's not a case of the NZRFU saying the AB's have to do it.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Nov 2015, 8:34 am

I suppose teams will be named for the Cherries match this lunchtime?

The chat is that this is the last time Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha will play together.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:08 pm

Baba's have named a good side to play tonight:
Barbarians 15 Nehe Milner Skudder, 14 Joe Tomane, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Nemani Nadolo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Cobus Reinach, 1 Jamie Mackintosh, 2 James Hanson, 3 Toby Smith, 4 Victor Matfield, 5 Lood de Jager, 6 Stephen Hoiles, 7 Ardie Savea, 8 Jarrad Butler

Replacements (from): Stephen Moore, Thomas du Toit, Charlie Faumuina, Bakkies Botha, Scott Fardy, Tawera Kerr Barlow, Lima Sopoaga, Tevita Kuridrani, Waisake Naholo

Does anyone know if the match is available online or anything ?

Also on a side note this argentine side which will play on saturday is the same as the super rugby team for next year, at 20/1 I fancy their chances

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:31 pm

I will try to find a link to coverage.

I would travel quite a long way to Kingsholm to watch that Barbarians team play - there's some awesome talent in there.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 Nov 2015, 7:13 am

Gloucester Rugby 14 - 62 Barbarians

Match report here:
http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Gloucester-Rugby-14-Barbarians-62-Baa-Baas-run-10/story-28193451-detail/story.html

Sounds awesome. Was anyone there?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Fri 20 Nov 2015, 9:17 am

Squad v Argies

15 Nehe Milner-Skudder (Hurricanes & New Zealand)
14 Waisake Naholo (Highlanders & New Zealand)
13 Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies & Australia)
12 Ryan Crotty (Crusaders & New Zealand)
11 Nemani Nadolo (Crusaders & Fiji)
10 Lima Sopoaga (Highlanders & New Zealand)
9 Tawera Kerr Barlow (Chiefs & New Zealand)
1 Thomas du Toit (Sharks)
2 Stephen Moore (Brumbies & Australia)
3 Charlie Faumuina (Blues & New Zealand)
4 Lood de Jager (Cheetahs & South Africa)
5 Victor Matfield (Northampton Saints & South Africa, captain)
6 Scott Fardy (Brumbies & Australia)
7 Ardie Savea (Hurricanes)
8 Stephen Hoiles (Waratahs & Australia)

Replacements (from)

James Hanson (Melbourne Rebels & Australia)
Jamie Mackintosh (Chiefs & New Zealand),
Toby Smith (Melbourne Rebels & Australia)
Bakkies Botha (South Africa)
Jarrad Butler (Brumbies)
Cobus Reinach (Sharks & South Africa)
Pat Lambie (Sharks & South Africa)
Francois Venter (Cheetahs)
Joe Tomane (Brumbies & Australia)

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 20 Nov 2015, 9:21 am

That back 3 Shocked Shocked

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 20 Nov 2015, 9:58 am

That whole backline is sparkling. What a chance for Sopoaga to remind us how sh!thot he is.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:34 am

They ran in some classy tries against Gloucester. Milner-Skudder in particular was impressive;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJAkUgDDi8&feature=youtu.be
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down