The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

+17
BuzzScarlet
GavinDragon
mikey_dragon
Luckless Pedestrian
johnrgby
wayne
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
marty2086
SecretFly
Stone Motif
rodders
2ndtimeround
profitius
Chunky Norwich
Redjez
LordDowlais
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m - Page 4 Empty Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:44 am

First topic message reminder :

The four Welsh rugby regions have raised the amount they can spend on players' wages by £1m to £4.5m.

In December 2011 the regions - Cardiff Blues, Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets - imposed a salary cap of £3.5m a year when all four were posting losses.

The rise reflects improved finances, with extra money from Europe and a new deal with the Welsh Rugby Union.

Pro Rugby Wales declined to comment, but it is understood the decision was mutually agreed after a review.

It is hoped the extra cash will help the regions retain star players and potentially bring more "Welsh exiles" home.

Leigh Halfpenny, Jonathan Davies, George North and Luke Charteris are thought to be considering returning to Wales next season.

The Ospreys are hoping Dan Biggar and Alun Wyn Jones will agree to extend their current National Dual Contracts.

However, the regions - represented by Pro Rugby Wales - are expected to make building squad depth a priority, and not necessarily spend big figures on marquee signings.

The new ceiling - which is self-imposed - is still some way below that of England's Aviva Premiership.

Premiership Rugby Limited - the umbrella body that governs England's Premiership clubs - announced in October they would be raising their cap next season from £5.1m to £6.5m, and to £7m the season after that.

These figures exclude the salaries of two so-called "marquee signings" that remain outside the cap.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m - Page 4 Empty Re: Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

Post by GavinDragon Thu 12 Nov 2015, 3:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:I'd welcome him at the Dave

Isn't he from the Rassau in Ebbw Vale ? He is a Gwent boy after all.

Old, New or the Industrial Estate?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m - Page 4 Empty Re: Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

Post by GavinDragon Thu 12 Nov 2015, 3:55 pm

Also surprised no one has picked this up this afternoon....

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-stop-providing-players-10432970

Run

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:01 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Also surprised no one has picked this up this afternoon....

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-stop-providing-players-10432970

Run

I just did. Suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:03 pm

I thought there might be a dedicated thread for that...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:04 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I thought there might be a dedicated thread for that...

https://www.606v2.com/t61238-pontypridd-gone

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 12 Nov 2015, 4:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Who Josh Tyler?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 12 Nov 2015, 8:04 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Just for context here's my all-time journeymen WQ xv from the Dragons. Anyone who can come up with a worse/more comedy NWQ team of NGD Old Boys wins a signed copy of 'C0ck Out' Lyn Jones forthcoming autobiography which will hit bookshelces this Christmas:

Dan Griffiths, Richard Fussell, Tom Cheeseman, Rhodri Gomer-Davies, Jimmy Norris, Ceri Sweeney, Luc Jones, Andy Powell, Jevon Groves, James Lewis,Bryn Griffiths, some bean-pole with the athletisism of a Walking Dead extra and the turning circle of the Ark Royal who appeared in the 60-3 prison shaming Galsgow gave us at home whose name I have blocked out because he was the worst rugby player I've ever seen, Nathan Buck, Huw Gustafson, Patsy Palmer

EDF winner and Euro champ, btw. A legend down our way.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 12 Nov 2015, 9:41 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Just for context here's my all-time journeymen WQ xv from the Dragons. Anyone who can come up with a worse/more comedy NWQ team of NGD Old Boys wins a signed copy of 'C0ck Out' Lyn Jones forthcoming autobiography which will hit bookshelces this Christmas:

Dan Griffiths, Richard Fussell, Tom Cheeseman, Rhodri Gomer-Davies, Jimmy Norris, Ceri Sweeney, Luc Jones, Andy Powell, Jevon Groves, James Lewis,Bryn Griffiths, some bean-pole with the athletisism of a Walking Dead extra and the turning circle of the Ark Royal who appeared in the 60-3 prison shaming Galsgow gave us at home whose name I have blocked out because he was the worst rugby player I've ever seen, Nathan Buck, Huw Gustafson, Patsy Palmer

EDF winner and Euro champ, btw. A legend down our way.

Whatever. Ponty's finest son was garbage at Dave
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Nov 2015, 9:49 pm

Can I also add to the list:
Gerald Arasa
Peter Bracken - Brought in like so many others as a one man scrum fix. I remember 'Bracken watch', I.e. Watching him try to run from ruck to ruck. So out of shape he was barely alive when he left the field inevitably early in the game.
Royce Cadman
Mike 'the circus' Hercus
Danny Lee, that famous All Black
Ali McKenzie the prop
Rory Sidey (Oz centre)
There was also a winger who was a former sprinter, never played rugby. We brought him in and he used to chance the long kicks to the wing but used to bottle the tackle or completely over run it! Went to study fashion at uni after that... Forget his name.

However, I'd also add one true adage: you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Put together a team on a shoe string and it's likely a few of them will suck.

Also, I feel that something is just not right in the Dragons set up over the years. Players with some decent pedigree and promise come in and the coaches there just can't get anything out of them. We've probably got about a 1:10 success rate with star/promising/big(ish) name players who come in. It can't just be the coaching because no coaches have managed it. A good example is Chaparro. A bit of a coup signing him from Stade Francais, coaches couldn't get him playing well and he was a sub then not much game time at all, yet he's now a star for Argentina on the international stage and played very well in the World Cup. Who's the turkeys really? The players or us?! A bit of both perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:13 pm

There is an article on the BBC with Lyn Jones saying that Jack Dixon, Elliot Dee and Ollie Griffiths are up for NDC deals.

Am I the only person who is a bit concerned that these deals are being spread a bit too far away from team Wales? Dixon has been on the fringe of the squad but what we need is players such as Faletau, Gareth Davies, Ken Owens, etc., Signed up together with extensions for Biggar and Alan Wyn.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:19 pm

Griff wrote:
Can I also add to the list

Only if you can do a full sh1te Dragons NWQ xv to match or better my all Welsh one

Spot on with the rest though. One of the main hadicaps for pro rugby in Wales of late has been the dictat that ensured a succession of cretinous Welsh coaches being employed. These clowns,amongst whom the likes of Phil Davies and Lyn Jones stride like collossi, learnt only shamateurism and failure as players and have been responsible for that legacy being passed on to Welsh players for nigh on a decade and it has to stop.[/quote]
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 12 Nov 2015, 10:24 pm

Seagultaf wrote:There is an article on the BBC with Lyn Jones saying that Jack Dixon, Elliot Dee and Ollie Griffiths are up for NDC deals.

Am I the only person who is a bit concerned that these deals are being spread a bit too far away from team Wales? Dixon has been on the fringe of the squad but what we need is players such as Faletau, Gareth Davies, Ken Owens, etc., Signed up together with extensions for Biggar and Alan Wyn.

Depends on whether you reckon Warren Gatland's eternal contract, and our top players playing a system where plan a, b, and c are based on collisions, might mean some of them might not end up having long careers....
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:09 am

GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Old, New or the Industrial Estate?

Old, New or Industrial - No one admits to coming from the Rassau Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:23 am

Stone Motif wrote:One of the main hadicaps for pro rugby in Wales of late has been the dictat that ensured a succession of cretinous Welsh coaches being employed

You might be onto something there actually, Dragons had South African international winger Chavanga playing for them but he looked like a total waste of time playing for Dragons, he came with a good pedigree as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Nov 2015, 9:24 am

Wales centre Jonathan Davies will return to Scarlets from Clermont Auvergne on a dual deal with the Welsh Rugby Union.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/34783931

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:49 am

Seagultaf wrote:There is an article on the BBC with Lyn Jones saying that Jack Dixon, Elliot Dee and Ollie Griffiths are up for NDC deals.

If Rory Thornton is near enough to Team Wales, so are those three at the Dragons.

I do see your point, though. I always saw the NDCs as a way of keeping players who were in danger of being poached by English and French clubs. I'm not sure there's been a bidding war for Thornton or Dixon, although I could be wrong.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:37 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:One of the main hadicaps for pro rugby in Wales of late has been the dictat that ensured a succession of cretinous Welsh coaches being employed

You might be onto something there actually, Dragons had South African international winger Chavanga playing for them but he looked like a total waste of time playing for Dragons, he came with a good pedigree as well.

What pedigree did he come with? We aren't talking Habana here, we are talking a guy who had a rep of being fast and scored six tries v Uruguay or something. In that respect he didn't disappoint. He was fast and did score some tries.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:41 am

Risca Rev wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What pedigree did he come with? We aren't talking Habana here, we are talking a guy who had a rep of being fast and scored six tries v Uruguay or something. In that respect he didn't disappoint. He was fast and did score some tries.

It was disappointing we barely got him the ball.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:46 am

I remember us using him on the crash ball. It's hard to think of a winger less suitable for that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:07 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

If Rory Thornton is near enough to Team Wales, so are those three at the Dragons.

I do see your point, though. I always saw the NDCs as a way of keeping players who were in danger of being poached by English and French clubs. I'm not sure there's been a bidding war for Thornton or Dixon, although I could be wrong.

I agree on Thornton also King, who I am yet to see anything in. I personally think that NDCs should be for players who are current or on the fringe of the national side. Unless there is another injury crisis I cannot see these guys getting anywhere near the Wales starting 15 in the next 2 seasons, so why sign them up to team Wales now?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 13 Nov 2015, 9:55 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I remember us using him on the crash ball. It's hard to think of a winger less suitable for that.

Me?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:00 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

I agree on Thornton also King, who I am yet to see anything in. I personally think that NDCs should be for players who are current or on the fringe of the national side. Unless there is another injury crisis I cannot see these guys getting anywhere near the Wales starting 15 in the next 2 seasons, so why sign them up to team Wales now?

As already stated, Team Wales play more games than anyone else,with a single-minded obsession with contact. Any of our 'heroes' coyld play his last game at any time, and the likes of Jaw will be lucky playing into their 30's
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4