The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US pro league

5 posters

Go down

US pro league Empty US pro league

Post by broadlandboy Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:10 pm

USRugby getting pro league but going central contracts route
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/09/us-professional-rugby-union-league

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

US pro league Empty Re: US pro league

Post by screamingaddabs Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Looks like good news! Hopefully this will build a lot like MLS has. Won't see the fruits for 5 to 10 years, but it is a step in the right direction for the global game.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Don't quote me on this, but I have been told that rugby union is the fastest growing team game in America.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Don't quote me on this, but I have been told that rugby union is the fastest growing team game in America.

Did you get that from reading the article? It's in there too so be proud to be quoted. As a slight aside, quotes like that usually mean it's absolutely tiny and made small, but relatively big, increases. But increases are increases and this one is actually sanctioned by the US union so that's a positive start!

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:36 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Don't quote me on this, but I have been told that rugby union is the fastest growing team game in America.

Did you get that from reading the article? It's in there too so be proud to be quoted.  As a slight aside, quotes like that usually mean it's absolutely tiny and made small, but relatively big, increases. But increases are increases and this one is actually sanctioned by the US union so that's a positive start!

I did not read the article to be honest Hammer. But as you say, it could be the fastest because it was so small to start with. But I was watching an interview a few years ago with Mike Hercus (I think that was his name) and he said back then, that the USA were fed up with losing to Canada all the time, and losing to little countries like Wales and Fiji. He said that a country of USA's size and wealth should be leading the way in rugby union. I suppose he is right as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Sounds like great news. It seems that USA Rugby has got the jump on NRFL. Are NRFL now defunct?

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Easy to get the jump when you refuse to sanction any games by NRFL.
Don't know how Americans will take to central contracts.

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:45 pm

broadlandboy wrote:Easy to get the jump when you refuse to sanction any games by NRFL.
Don't know how Americans will take to central contracts.

Good on them for doing it. The guys running NRFL were a joke. Don't think they have much choice in taking to it now. Guess we will see what happens over the next few years.

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:19 pm

So you think USA Rugby has the money to run 6 clubs?
I can't see too many people investing(giving the Union) the money needed to run a club, let alone 6.
The NFL(held as an example by some) do not own the players but only set the rules & govern the sport.

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Two Canadian teams are also being added in 2017.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 pm

broadlandboy wrote:So you think USA Rugby has the money to run 6 clubs?
I can't see too many people investing(giving the Union) the money needed to run a club, let alone 6.
The NFL(held as an example by some) do not own the players but only set the rules & govern the sport.

I don't know, bb, but I would have to think they must have the finance, otherwise the league wouldn't be viable. At a guess I think maybe they have sponsors to fund it. NRFL spouted to have huge financial backing by way of a que of potential sponsors, so maybe USA Rugby has cashed in on their miss.

I'm not sure I follow you on sponsors giving to the Union. Guinness sponsor the Pro12, and most clubs are run by the Unions. The Provinces, owned by IRFU, attract their own sponsors. We're talking about the USA here, so that sponsorship could be huge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down