The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pakistan vs England ODI series

+19
msp83
kingraf
wisden
LivinginItaly
SimonofSurrey
GSC
Duty281
LondonTiger
JDizzle
robbo277
Corporalhumblebucket
Stella
seanmichaels
alfie
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Mad for Chelsea
Good Golly I'm Olly
VTR
23 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pakistan vs England ODI series - Page 2 Empty Pakistan vs England ODI series

Post by VTR Wed 11 Nov 2015, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

The ODI series starts today, details of the fixtures in the 4 match series are as follows:

Wed Nov 11 (50 ovs) 15:00 local (11:00 GMT)
   1st ODI - England v Pakistan Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi D/N

Fri Nov 13 (50 ovs) 15:00 local (11:00 GMT)
   2nd ODI - England v Pakistan Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi D/N

Tue Nov 17 (50 ovs) 15:00 local (11:00 GMT)
   3rd ODI - England v Pakistan Sharjah Cricket Stadium D/N

Fri Nov 20 (50 ovs) 15:00 local (11:00 GMT)
   4th ODI - England v Pakistan Dubai International Cricket Stadium D/N

VTR

Back to top Go down

Pakistan vs England ODI series - Page 2 Empty Re: Pakistan vs England ODI series

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:01 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Century opening partnership.  Roy departs - for an excellent 54.  With England in ODIs you feel either a collapse or a period when they are becalmed for 10 overs is only a few moments away, but I hope they can post a competitive total after this start.

Second wicket partnership has been going 10 overs now for 41 runs.  Not exactly becalmed, but Pakistan will be more than happy with that period of play.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Pakistan vs England ODI series - Page 2 Empty Re: Pakistan vs England ODI series

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:12 pm

165/1 off 30. Can we double that in the last 20? Probably not but that should be the aim with 9 wickets left.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:14 pm

Olly wrote:
VTR wrote:That's a fair point about Woakes, he is 27 fairly soon, not ancient by any means but a lot of players have been successful from a much younger age

He's also just come off a pretty serious injury. And I'd say is better in red ball stuff.

Would like to see him play a part against the saffers

The injury is unfortunate, he has definitely fallen down the pecking as a result with Wood and Finn well ahead of him - neither were really in the frame when Woakes was playing in against India at home. His opening could be injury/retirement of Anderson retirement as the swing bowler in the line-up.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:19 pm

Oh yeah, there's a match on here. Well you can't really hope for much more, especially after that first match.

One area England have traditionally been poor at is accelerating through the last 20 overs, though its fair to say this current line up have done it on occasion

An England side of 2 years ago would end up 290-8 from here, the aim surely has to be around 330

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

Well done Alex Hales ...top 100 - at last clap

Been watching but wasn't game to come on and comment for fear of jinxing him...I can usually initiate a collapse Smile

Surely going over 300 from here ? The more the merrier...with the current bowling options might need a few !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:50 pm

You've jinxed him alfie!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm

Need to get buttler in
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:16 pm

We might get enough but this has been a poor ending thus far. 320 and more was on, especially with all these wickets left.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:16 pm

Stella wrote:You've jinxed him alfie!

He'd done his job Smile

Morgan in time for some big hitting to the finish ....

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:23 pm

Not often you'll say this - but Root killed us a bit there
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:27 pm

Have to say the Pakistan pace bowlers have been excellent the last few overs.
Pinned England back quite well : still time for a late flourish ?

Been much improved batting effort anyway ; but I'm not sure the final score will be bullet proof , with the attack England are fielding. They will need to hope the chasing pressure brings wickets - otherwise Moeen and Rashid are likely to yield half the target on their own Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:36 pm

Wahab really is bowling magnificently
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:39 pm

Fizzled out a bit , eh ?

But yes , we must credit the bowlers. Think Pakistan are probably favourites now.

Would be a good day for Woakes to find some form with the ball Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:42 pm

Good batting by our top order, good death bowling by the Pakistani quicks.

Good cricket all round
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:46 pm

Olly wrote:Wahab really is bowling magnificently

Totally agree.

Noticeable how he's improved with those 2 t20 games in the summer with Surrey. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:51 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Totally agree.

Noticeable how he's improved with those 2 t20 games in the summer with Surrey. Wink

That's what being around #ansariforengland does to you Guildford
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 3:08 pm

Balls up.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Fri 13 Nov 2015, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 3:14 pm

Not finally as many as we hoped for at the 30 and 40 over marks. However, enough to give us a decent chance IF we bowl and field well.

I accept the batsmen let us and the bowlers down in the first ODI, However, Topley aside, I still thought the bowlers were pretty lame then and got off lightly as regards criticism. Time to put that right ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 13 Nov 2015, 3:17 pm

I go to a meeting for an hour and come back to 283? That's 7 fewer than my "old England" prediction!

Remains to be seen if its a good score, vaguely remember England won by a large margin after a similar "fizzle out" in the summer, the one where Taylor got a hundred?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 3:18 pm

Olly wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Totally agree.

That's what being around #ansariforengland does to you Guildford

laughing clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:05 pm

I think this will be a really good test for Rashid. Taking a page out of the Shane Warne's lexicon, you'd probably give him a defensive field and ask him to bowl attacking deliveries, using all his variations. Pakistan, with the RRR already up to 6.67, would have to take him on. If your batsmen score you runs and your opener bowlers take 3 early wickets and you still don't perform, then you have to start asking questions of your spinner.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:27 pm

Woakes strikes again .... Smile

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Jimbo, not disagreeing but Woakes is one of those (several?) players who before too long will need to go from simply having potential to properly and regularly delivering. Don't wish to set ridiculous and immediate targets but a couple of wickets today would be good.

Meanwhile, a fine start from these two and in marked contrast to the opening game. 64/0 off 12. More than decent foundations being built although I'm counting no chickens at this stage.

Woakes getting greedy as he takes a third. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 4:58 pm

Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:Been watching this on and off...

Decent recovery effort from these two after that dreadful start.  Going to need a hefty score I'd imagine - bowling looks a bit short of experience/class.
Not sure I share Olly's confidence that the top order will "grow into the series" ...Root will , of course ; but Hales and Roy have some work to do , I think.
Later order looks much sounder with these two , and both spinners batting late. If Buttler can recover some form , runs are there. Nearly forgotten Woakes...

But who is going to bowl Pakistan out ?

Alfie you need to join my Chris Woakes bandwagon - hop aboard before it really takes off

Still time to hop aboard folks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:04 pm

Rashenious gets Rizwan with a slider
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:05 pm

Not a fan of Rashid as most will know but he deserved that wicket. Seems to be bowling here with more zip.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:16 pm

Cricinfo reports that, before his wicket today, Woakes had bowled 299 successive wicketless deliveries since his last wicket. (Stat excludes wides and no balls)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:29 pm

A comfortable win in the end. Not perfect by any means but much better.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hope J Dizzle's been watching or at least sees the highlights. He started the Jimmy Taylor bandwagon here and his little man's been playing very well and intelligently.

Only a couple of days behind for me, just caught up with ODI #1. Was a classic Taylor knock really - get yourself in 1 off 10, begin to increase the rate and was striking at 82ish and going up when dismissed. A player who knows how he plays in ODI cricket that is. Was equally impressive as at one point Morgan had a s/r of 100+ and Taylor was at 60 and they ended up striking at the same rate. The batting looks a lot more balanced on paper with Taylor in at 5, but we miss the extra bowler Stokes provides. Think Roy needs a real biggie this series or Stokes could come back in for him with moeen going up top. I also liked a couple of cover drives he played off Wahab when he was bowling quickly where he kept his shape perfectly and kept his technique but still smashed it for four. He has been guilty of trying to overhit before, perhaps this is an indication he is feeling secure and relaxed at this level now.

Will no doubt comment on ODI #2 when I watch it in a few days time!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:58 pm

Although I only followed the game online, it sounds as though Hales and Roy played superbly. They're the power players batting in the powerplay, but they reigned themselves in for the first 6 overs and got themselves going, before setting the tone with a 100-partnership and both finished with very good strike-rates. Such a good start made it possible for us to fluff the last 10 and still finish with a very competitive total that we could bowl too, contrast that with the last game when we had nothing in the start, one partnership and then a collapse, therefore leaving us short.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 14 Nov 2015, 1:00 am

Evening all. Mind on other things obviously with Paris events, but given I feel unlikely to be able to sleep anytime soon I might as well post my thoughts on the first couple of games.

I think one of the main things to aknowledge is that in these conditions, and with current regs allowing an extra boundary rider in the last 10 overs, massive accelerations at the end of the innings appear unlikely. The ball gets older and thus softer, there's a touch of reverse too, and the pitch is tiring, so slower balls v effective. With that in mind, yes England should have scored a few more today, but expectations of 100+ runs from the last 10 are IMO unrealistic. I would class 80 as a very good final 10, and anything above 70 as more than decent (that's roughly a boundary every two overs).

First game, England obviously had that mess with their batting (Morgan, Taylor and maybe Woakes excepted), but I agree with guildford (I think) that with the very honourable exception of Topley their bowling wasn't great either. 216 should, in those conditions have been a tricky chase, especially with the three early wickets. Hafeez played very nicely indeed, and some moments din't go England's way, but overall too many loose deliveries.

Today, England were of course much better in all departments. Openers played very nicely. Personally I'm very please for Hales, and I think it shows that perseverance in those you believe in pays off. Many of us feel Hales should have been a fixture in the ODI side for a while now, and glad he's finally produced that innings of substance. Players can sometimes take time to feel at home at international level (for England, think Buttler in ODIs/T20s, and indeed Hales in T20s took a while to get going), but when they have that special ability, are worth keeping faith in. Would like Roy to make a similar statement sooner rather than later too, but he played a very nice innings today. I was particularly impressed with Hales's approach to the spinners, which is not necessarily his strength.

The bowling was also much more of a combined effort. I thought Rashid bowled really nicely today, as guildford mentioned there seemed to be more zip to his bowling, and he was perhaps unfortunate to end up with only one wicket. The challenge for him now is to produce when England don't have a below par score on the board (as I believed England's score was today, for all the doom and gloom, in these conditions 280 is a very good score IMO), but only a par, or even subpar effort. Still, promising signs.

England's opening bowlers seem to have been able to find some swing for a few overs with the new ball, which has proved priceless, and something Pakistan's seamers haven't really been able to do.

I actually think England's side has a nice balance to it. Ideally you might want a better sixth bowling option than Root, but in these conditions the five bowlers they have + Root feels pretty good. The two left-armers against a right-handed line-up work very well. The batting line-up has good balance to it too.

For Pakistan, they'll want their spinners to deliver more, but the main problems lie in their batting, as is shown by their frankly pretty awful record when chasing 250+ since 2010 (now 29 losses from 37). Azhar Ali isn't much of a one-day player IMO. They're struggling for a second opener (surely Hafeez should be opening? but then who bats 3?), as shown by the mad decision to promote the bloke who'd played an excellent knock at n°6, while their middle-order doesn't look too hot either. Malik has struggled since his first innings in the Test matches, and the rest are very inexperienced. Sarfraz is a classy player of course, but at n°7 will struggle to really influence games. Put simply, England will feel if they can get Hafeez they can really stop Pakistan from scoring, and get right into that fragile middle-order.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:50 am

No one on deck for game three ?

Fair enough start for Pakistan at 50/1 off twelve...

Be interesting to see how England fare chasing for a change...hope Hales can keep his good form going.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:05 pm

England with an excellent fight back so far -Moeen and Rashid (after some hafeez stick) in particular have kept it pretty tight
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:07 pm

Another run out!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:08 pm

I think the flurry of wickets will bring people out of hiding Smile

It was a bit dull before this period of play to be honest

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:15 pm

Moeen Ali outperforming Rashid again with the ball

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:21 pm

GET ABOARD THE CHRIS WOAKES BANDWAGON
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:32 pm

This is a shocking middle order collapse. It reminds me a lot of England playing Test cricket

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 17 Nov 2015, 2:14 pm

got to be a very high full toss to get above Irfan's waist Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 17 Nov 2015, 2:29 pm

208 all out. Decent rearguard from Riaz and the tail, but England will overall be pretty pleased with that, especially given how strong Pakistan looked when Sarfraz and Hafeez were together. Woakes with another four wickets, the feast after the famine Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:15 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote: Woakes with another four wickets, the feast after the famine Very Happy

funny how cricket works. He probably bowled quite a lot better during the "famine" than he has in the last two games.

Getting a touch worried by Buttler's glovework. Sloppy again in this game, but safe as Bairstow and Billings both have gloves of steel too.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:25 pm

They would probably be better handing the iron gloves duties to Bairstow for now. Buttler looks absolutely shot at the moment, send the guy home for a break

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:21 pm

Azhar ali bowling so badly, Taylor and Buttler struggling to hit him Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:23 pm

weird. The ball basically suddenly started turning square about 20 overs in, but seems to have calmed down again now. Burst from Wahab Riaz now.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:46 pm

Excellent application from Taylor in this innings.

*Insert cliche of 'experience beyond his years' here*

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:49 pm

Can't help but feel that if one of the England spinners had bowled as poorly as Zafar has, they'd have been slaughtered by all and sundry...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 6:03 pm

Excellent partnership between Taylor and Buttler this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 17 Nov 2015, 6:09 pm

Looks like I did a reverse jinx on Buttler there. Happy for him as I really rate him, let's hope he gets back to his best soon

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 17 Nov 2015, 8:47 pm

Great to see Taylor taking his chance. Must be undroppable for SA at this point
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:18 pm

A good all round performance from England - really do have some exciting young talent in this side. Jimmy Taylor is just a superb player
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next