The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November

+28
The Great Aukster
David-Douglas
Eejit
Geordie
mikey_dragon
BigGee
TJ
cakeordeath
Heaf
madmaccas
stub
lostinwales
Rory_Gallagher
demosthenes
LondonTiger
IanBru
MacKnocked-on
RDW
doctor_grey
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
VinceWLB
Scottrf
21st Century Schizoid Man
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
WELL-PAST-IT
George Carlin
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November Empty Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Nov 2015, 6:23 am

Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November Glasgo10                  Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November Saints10                 
Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints
Saturday 21 November 2015
KO: 17:15
Scotstoun, Glasgow

Live on Sky Sports / beIN Sports

Referee Pascal Gauzere (France)
Touch Judge 1 Maxime Chalon (France)
Touch Judge 2 Jean-Luc Rebollal (France)
Fourth Official Stephen Ward (Scotland)
TMO Gilles Cogne (France)

A. Head to Head

6 Played 6
2 Wins 4
4 Losses 2
0 Draws 0
114 Points 147

B. Recent Form

19 January 2013
Glasgow 27 - 20 Northampton

14 October 2012
Northampton 24 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

C. Teams

Glasgow Warriors
Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November Marian10
15 Stuart Hogg
14 Tommy Seymour
13 Mark Bennett
12 Peter Horne
11 Sean Lamont
10 Finn Russell
09 Mike Blair

01 Ryan Grant
02 Pat MacArthur
03 Sila Puafisi
04 Leone Nakarawa
05 Jonny Gray (capt)
06 Robert Harley
07 Simone Favaro
08 Josh Strauss

16 Shalva Mamukashvili
17 Gordon Reid
18 Zander Fagerson
19 Tim Swinson
20 Ryan Wilson
21 Grayson Hart
22 Richie Vernon
23 Taqele Naiyaravoro

Northampton Saints
Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November Louise10
15 Ben Foden
14 Ah See Tuala
13 George Pisi
12 Luther Burrell
11 George North
10 Steve Myler
09 Lee Dickson (capt)

01 Alex Waller
02 Mikey Haywood
03 Kieran Brookes
04 Michael Paterson
05 Christian Day
06 Jamie Gibson
07 Tom Wood
08 Sam Dickinson

16 Matti Williams
17 Ethan Waller
18 Paul Hill
19 Jonathan Fisher
20 Teimana Harrison
21 Kahn Fotuali'i
22 JJ Hanrahan
23 Jamie Elliott

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 16 Nov 2015, 7:37 am

Saints will have to step up a notch or two for this one. Need some of our key players back like Lawes and Hartley.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints, 21 November

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Nov 2015, 7:56 am

Glasgow will be well rested if nothing else.

No games for 2 weeks prior to this one. The flip side of being well rested is that the team might be lacking match sharpness.

There have been some fantastic battles between these two teams, so let's hope that this is another good one. Will never forget Saints coming back from 15 points down to win 24-15 at the Gardens. And in the return leg, well, it's probably worth showing this again for anyone who didn't see it:

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:10 am

I saw a bit of the Saints game at the weekend and they looked a bit off the pace. They give away a lot of penalties and are clearly struggling to work out whether Hanrahan or Myler should be at 10 - two different sorts of player.

I'm going to back my weegie brethren for this one, unless the tombola comes up with something really silly, like starting Duncan Weir or Sean Lamont.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:20 am

George Carlin wrote:Glasgow will be well rested if nothing else.

No games for 2 weeks prior to this one. The flip side of being well rested is that the team might be lacking match sharpness.

There have been some fantastic battles between these two teams, so let's hope that this is another good one. Will never forget Saints coming back from 15 points down to win 24-15 at the Gardens. And in the return leg, well, it's probably worth showing this again for anyone who didn't see it:

That is my favourite ever piece of commentary from Hastings Jnr right there. Never fails to make me burst out laughing. It's just the sheer lack of emotion Laugh

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:12 pm

Yes indeed - if only Hugh Dan the Heedrum Hodrum man was commentating when Pete Horne scored that one - Hornee furra Linnee indeed ! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:24 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I saw a bit of the Saints game at the weekend and they looked a bit off the pace. They give away a lot of penalties and are clearly struggling to work out whether Hanrahan or Myler should be at 10 - two different sorts of player.

I'm going to back my weegie brethren for this one, unless the tombola comes up with something really silly, like starting Duncan Weir or Sean Lamont.
Not sure about that. Myler has started every week except for the game in Europe. Seems more than that JJ is used as cover.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:27 pm

Scottrf wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I saw a bit of the Saints game at the weekend and they looked a bit off the pace. They give away a lot of penalties and are clearly struggling to work out whether Hanrahan or Myler should be at 10 - two different sorts of player.

Not sure about that. Myler has started every week except for the game in Europe. Seems more than that JJ is used as cover.

Well this is a game in Europe, so who do we think will start?? If Mallinder is taking Europe seriously why start with his second choice 10 in the openning game?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well this is a game in Europe, so who do we think will start?? If Mallinder is taking Europe seriously why start with his second choice 10 in the openning game?
Maybe I got the intention of your post wrong. I meant that there's nothing to suggest Myler isn't 1st choice, not that I can't guess his selection. As for why he might pick his second choice 10, you have to have confidence in the squad. We rotate scrum halfs too.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:35 pm

I'm just surprised that if he sees Myler as first choice, that he choice his opening match in Europe as the game in which to rotate him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:41 pm

Well, we're not going to win Europe, and have to sort out our act to make top 4 in the league. So...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 16 Nov 2015, 12:52 pm

Glasgow should be looking at a comfortable win but for one position on the field and arguably the most important one: 3.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Nov 2015, 2:55 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Glasgow should be looking at a comfortable win but for one position on the field and arguably the most important one: 3.

Any idea when Cusack will return? Agreed that Brookes and Waller are a cut above the options at Weegieland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Nov 2015, 9:44 am

So really the only question is; will His Toonieness stick with the side he picked for the trip to Paris or will the Tombola surprise us all?

The only other question is will Schiz be swilling Claret all afternoon to celebrate his new found entente cordiale?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Nov 2015, 9:54 am

jimbopip wrote:So really the only question is; will His Toonieness stick with the side he picked for the trip to Paris or will the Tombola surprise us all?

The only other question is will Schiz be swilling Claret all afternoon to celebrate his new found entente cordiale?

I never had Schiz down as a wine drinker. I always assumed that he was a participant in the "Cidre" revolution, with a shot of blackcurrant.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 9:57 am

No ya wee scamp ye I will not! Meeting with the Brumeister at Brew Dog - seemed appropriate somehow ! Ale Ale Ale

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:04 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:So really the only question is; will His Toonieness stick with the side he picked for the trip to Paris or will the Tombola surprise us all?

I never had Schiz down as a wine drinker
. I always assumed that he was a participant in the "Cidre" revolution, with a shot of blackcurrant.

Are you forgetting buckfast abbey's finest tonic wine?

Just messing Shiz, glad you're back safe and sound mate.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:35 am

Hug OK

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:38 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:No ya wee scamp ye I will not!  Meeting with the Brumeister at Brew Dog - seemed appropriate somehow ! Ale Ale Ale

Bad enough that I can't make the game.
Bad enough that MrsPip has filled my dance card so I can't watch it live on TV. ( Christmas Food Fayre in a medieval barn followed by the last Hunger Games movie for Pipetto then I get to buy dinner for everyone in an overpriced "American Diner", since you asked).

But then you and the Brubro get to sit in Brew Dog and laugh.furious

I can only quote W C Fields,

"It was a woman that drove me to drink... I'll be a son of a gun, I forgot to thank her."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:42 am

I agree Hanrahan and Myler are different sorts of players.  Saints need another 10 because Myler has played for too much Rugby over the past few seasons and there was simply too much risk for the team to carry if was out for an extended time with inury.  I am not sure hanrahan is the answer, however.  But it is early still in his Saints career and he appears to still need time to to settle in with the team and what they need from a 10.      

On the other hand, Saints have not looked good so far this season and still need key players back and in form. The on-field presence of Hartley was clearly lacking when the tough few yards were needed.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:47 am

What does everyone drink these days in the Scout Hall?

Do they have a decent range of draught stuff? Or is it all bottles to throw at the Edinburgh team bus after an 1872 victory? Do people tend to linger before or after the game or do they just move on to the watering holes of Dumbarton Road?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

Doc, you make a good point, as ever, will the anti-Dylan (No peace and fecc all Love , Man) be available? Certainly he and Big Mama would make an interesting contest at scrum time.

GC, what does everyone drink in the Scout Hut? Feeling generous then?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

George Carlin wrote:What does everyone drink these days in the Scout Hall?

Do they have a decent range of draught stuff? Or is it all bottles to throw at the Edinburgh team bus after an 1872 victory? Do people tend to linger before or after the game or do they just move on to the watering holes of Dumbarton Road?

I believe it's a fleet of Lexus, of Lexi as Partridge would have it. We use armour plating for the 1872 away leg. The soap dodgers don't like losing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:59 am

jimbopip wrote:Doc, you make a good point, as ever, will the anti-Dylan (No peace and fecc all Love , Man) be available? Certainly he and Big Mama would make an interesting contest at scrum time.

GC, what does everyone drink in the Scout Hut? Feeling generous then?

[Sound of RDW's door slamming as he dashes off to Scotstoun]

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:00 am

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:12 am

Well to answer GC's original question we are mostly drinking Caledonian Best (sh1t) and Guinness (the worst I've ever tasted vomit ). Post game most head East back to Byres Road/Hyndland Road area for drinkies and banter. Bru heads to the Merchant City but he (thinks) he is the Weegie Casanova tbh laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:16 am

To go off-message just for a moment...

George North up against Schlong or Big Tacky. Who has the larger, and slower, turning circle? The selection won't be Myler or Hanrahan... just bring in that kid from the under 13's. You know, the lad with the Neymar haircut who can dink little chip kicks in behind the Glasgow wingers all day. Mind you, from what I've seen of Tacky's defensive sensibilities "just behind him" takes in most of Arizona.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:21 am

Jimbo, we don't have Big AK to grab that wenker Hartley by the throat this time either. Tim Swinson may have to step up to first line enforcer then hand over to Batman. Jeez thats a scary, brutal thought Shocked Shocked Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:11 pm

Schiz, I was going to make a flippant remark but then I got to thinking......

The downside to having an out and out leader like His Captainness is that other players can perhaps become rather reticent about stepping forward. The Glasgow pack at the moment can seem a rather introverted lot at times.

Certainly,
8. Strauss
7. Favaro
6. Harley
5. Gray (c)
4. Nakarawa
3. Puafisi
2. McArthur
1. Grant
in that pack there's no-one who comes leaping off the page as a berserker type. Obviously Naka is a head case, but in a flag ball, smiling Fijian type of way. The Tackle Monster and Nina are both silent assassin types (classic introvert flankers) and Bluto is just far too well behaved.
Actually, in all seriousness this could be a genuine test of Jonny's leadership skills. I'm not convinced that Al's grabbing the Anti-Dylan by the throat was as spontaneous as it looked. The Captain had probably decided that he needed to slap his opposite number down very publicly "pour les encouragement des autres" as they say and was looking for an excuse. Will Jonny (a) be able to put him back in his box and (b) stay on the field after doing it?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:15 pm

With Hartley the key is to light the fuse early. The sooner you do it the sooner he's off the pitch for 10 minutes. Doesn't need to be a forward. Someone like Hogg could "get involved" at an opportune moment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:37 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:With Hartley the key is to light the fuse early. The sooner you do it the sooner he's off the pitch for 10 minutes. Doesn't need to be a forward. Someone like Hogg could "get involved" at an opportune moment.

Indeed......Hogg would be perfect.

Maybe Gordon Reid could meet him off the bus?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:39 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:With Hartley the key is to light the fuse early. The sooner you do it the sooner he's off the pitch for 10 minutes. Doesn't need to be a forward. Someone like Hogg could "get involved" at an opportune moment.

Indeed......Hogg would be perfect.

Maybe Gordon Reid could meet him off the bus?

Mr Scones, another addition to our lexicon. Chappeau clap

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:47 pm

How's the new job going Jimbo? Settled in now and dreaming of retirement?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:53 pm

Is Cusack currently injured?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:54 pm

The new job is going swimmingly, Tattie. Slight victim of my own success, though; three days a week (maximum 3, said I) helping out in the Behaviour Support Unit (helping out- no responsibility, said I) is now five days a week in my own classroom with a full timetable made up exclusively of all the Year 11 pupils who have been "removed" from their GCSE options. Yesterday the Head asked if I could stay till the end of the academic year.
I would have turned him down but I was afraid that when I got home MrsPip would meet me off the bus.

Are you heading to Franklin Gardens in January?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:22 pm

jimbopip wrote:The new job is going swimmingly, Tattie. Slight victim of my own success, though; three days a week (maximum 3, said I) helping out in the Behaviour Support Unit (helping out- no responsibility, said I) is now five days a week in my own classroom with a full timetable made up exclusively of all the Year 11 pupils who have been "removed" from their GCSE options. Yesterday the Head asked if I could stay till the end of the academic year.
I would have turned him down but I was afraid that when I got home MrsPip would meet me off the bus.
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 17 Nov 2015, 1:46 pm

jimbopip wrote:The new job is going swimmingly, Tattie. Slight victim of my own success, though; three days a week (maximum 3, said I) helping out in the Behaviour Support Unit (helping out- no responsibility, said I) is now five days a week in my own classroom with a full timetable made up exclusively of all the Year 11 pupils who have been "removed" from their GCSE options. Yesterday the Head asked if I could stay till the end of the academic year.

Are you heading to Franklin Gardens in January?

Alas I won't be there Jim. I booked my flights to Dublin from Exeter last night for the Ireland game approximately 2.68 seconds after the missus agreed to me going before she could change her mind. So that's my 40th treat to myself plus the new arrival will only be a month old by then, meaning any attempt to attend a social gathering for some fun, laughter and enjoyment, would be swiftly met with some harsh words and a kick in the hairy brains.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 2:44 pm

Good shout as Hogg is our only real nutter now that Mad Mata has gone. Batman is clearly deranged but he might not make the starting 15. Big Tim Swinson has potential in this area as he does not take a backwards step but again might not start. My personal favourite is Chris Fusaro - as mental as a jar of wasps on the pitch and a nicer guy you couldn't meet off it - a well brought up Cupar boy who also has a screw or two loose, pitchside at least. Problem is Chris F also might not make the starting 15.

To think we used to have some real bams like Mata, Stortoni, Arambusco etc. Beginning to thing Ryan (Bane ?) Grant could do a job here or what about Grayson Hart? He likes the erm..physical side does he not ?

Wonder if this might effect Toonie's Tombola ? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:48 pm

Grayson Hart is a nutter - always the first to a scrap. Pretty average scrum half mind you!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:53 pm

I love that video of Hornee Furra Linee, but my lasting memory of that match was just how good Niko was. If I recall, it was the first chanting of the now-ubiquitous "NIIIKOOOO NIIIKOOOO!!" after he stripped from Ben Foden and ran in under the posts. He was bloody everywhere, hacking through, offloading, even putting in big hits against their blindside flanker. He then switched to the wing and was a little bit quieter, but I suspect it was just to keep him away from Courtney Lawes who he had tried to square up to in the first half before wrapping his arms around Lawes' legs and trying to pick him up!

Man alive, Mata was madder than a cat in a paint tin.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:15 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Grayson Hart is a nutter - always the first to a scrap. Pretty average scrum half mind you!

Yes on evidence so far would agree - although he looked very sharp for 60 mins in Cardiff. He makes the team very jittery though and you can see how they relax a bit when Mike Blair comes on. See for yourself next month at The Library when we get our usual 5 points (last season was a blip Whistle )

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:19 pm

IanBru wrote:I love that video of Hornee Furra Linee, but my lasting memory of that match was just how good Niko was. If I recall, it was the first chanting of the now-ubiquitous "NIIIKOOOO NIIIKOOOO!!" after he stripped from Ben Foden and ran in under the posts. He was bloody everywhere, hacking through, offloading, even putting in big hits against their blindside flanker. He then switched to the wing and was a little bit quieter, but I suspect it was just to keep him away from Courtney Lawes who he had tried to square up to in the first half before wrapping his arms around Lawes' legs and trying to pick him up!

Man alive, Mata was madder than a cat in a paint tin.

Bru My Fine Chap,

you have a damn good memory. Did Lawes not go off injured after tangling with Mad Mata ?

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:22 pm

Oh and btw - after that game you accused me, on these very forums, of being some loon ball in the main stand that sits near you in the MS, whereas, as you know, I am a member of the North Stand Massif !!!  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:35 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Grayson Hart is a nutter - always the first to a scrap. Pretty average scrum half mind you!

Yes on evidence so far would agree - although he looked very sharp for 60 mins in Cardiff.  He makes the team very jittery though and you can see how they relax a bit when Mike Blair comes on.  See for yourself next month at The Library when we get our usual 5 points (last season was a blip Whistle  )

Just the one unconverted try? I think you'll score closer to 10 points, vs 20 from Edinburgh. That's a closer margin than you managed last year, as I think you've improved a little bit.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 18 Nov 2015, 10:37 am

You know what I mean but I further agree that our discipline had better improve v Luvvie's forwards or we will commit suicide by penalty.

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 20 Nov 2015, 9:36 am

Gonna be dry and very, very cold at Scotstoun tomorrow. Perfect for free flowing rugby - only one team can do that and it ain't Northampton Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:09 am

Pride comes before the fall? You must have missed our disallowed try just last week too.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:14 am

You travelling fella ?

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

Saints last week:

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:39 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:You travelling fella ?
Unfortunately not mate, in London this weekend. Enjoy the game.

@George that video isn't available in England?!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next