The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you be prepared to give up to make a shorter season

+24
TJ
geoff999rugby
offload
Exiledinborders
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
Bathman_in_London
LordDowlais
Dubbelyew L Overate
HammerofThunor
Pete330v2
Notch
chewed_mintie
BamBam
maestegmafia
SecretFly
doctor_grey
whocares
Breadvan
Dontheman2
Rugby Fan
blackcanelion
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What would you be prepared to give up to make a shorter season Empty What would you be prepared to give up to make a shorter season

Post by blackcanelion Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:14 am

The length of the rugby season and the number of games is an issue every recognises. What I'm interested in hearing about is what compromises are fans prepared to make. Rugby involves multiple stake holders Fans, Media, Clubs/Provinces, national sides. Everyone wants a vibrant club and international game.

The problems come to changes. Most often when people talk about change they pick the lowest cost to themselves, but one that impacts on their partners. For example: Reducing the club season might be good for the national team, but clubs might object. Eliminating overseas tours is another easy pick, because their often little loss to the home fan, club etc.

So here's the question: What changes that affect your love of your club and nation would you prepared to make. Only changes that adversely affect yourself need be considered. In reality World rugby has to negotiate changes. A key part of that is nations being prepared to give up things in their national interest. So for example overseas tours are off the table, they benefit someone else, it's not a compromise. The question is what are you prepared to bring to the table?

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

What would you be prepared to give up to make a shorter season Empty Re: What would you be prepared to give up to make a shorter season

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 17 Nov 2015, 8:35 am

For me, everything should be on the table. The only aspect I'd be especially sad to see go, is if rugby no longer stayed a winter sport in the North. Having said that, I'd reluctantly accept a change if it led to a proper global calendar.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

What would you be prepared to give up to make a shorter season Empty Re: What would you be prepared to give up to make a shorter season

Post by Dontheman2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 9:19 am

When you say overseas tours you mean clubs right? Is there much of that going on? My club is in the Championship don't think we do much. Seems like quite a good idea of incentivising players. At the international game what else is there beside the WC. Of course the B and I Lions needs looking at. Its ridiculous to play 10 games in 5 weeks, the RWC is a maximum of 7 in 6 weeks. Who organises the Lions and where do the profits go? I think the problem in England anyway is that it's clubs v country. Whereas other countries have some sort of dual contract. At the elite level there are healthy squad sizes and academies to produce the talent. But you can still get to a situation where players are underplayed like Biggar complained of a couple of years ago when his club was out of Europe but he was still limited by his DC from playing in the league. When you're hot you don't want to be sidelined.

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:10 am

I would bin the summer tours to the SH, but would that lead to the SH teams not coming over for our autumn games?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:22 am

Breadvan wrote:I would bin the summer tours to the SH, but would that lead to the SH teams not coming over for our autumn games?

Personnally I would also dump those tours as NH teams are far from competitive.
I would assume so as those summer tours are a source of revenue for them (although the ABs do get a share of the gates when they tour the NH as well).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:29 am

I think we need one distinct block of Internationals and one distinct block of Club matches. Both need to be shorter than current.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

Well first of all you could knock at least two extra games off some club team's schedule each year (and shorten the 'season' too) by going back to a less money grabbing approach of deciding a League.... ie, do away with the play-offs and decide a League winner as a League winner should be decided, by looking at the League table on the last day of the season and naming the side on top as winner.

But money talks and fans want more, more, more rugby, innit!!!!! Wink The big play-offs are good for biz, for sponsors and for fans that can't get enough of their clubs.

I've never liked play-offs in League. I think they can often steal the glory from the side that worked hardest through a season to get it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:02 am

Bruce Craig Said

"I can only see one solution... It would mean that the (national team) coaches would have to accept not being able to call up international players of Bath or Toulon in order for us to be able to play the match during a matchday of the Six Nations."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:14 am

Did he actually??

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:15 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Bruce Craig Said

"I can only see one solution... It would mean that the (national team) coaches would have to accept not being able to call up international players of Bath or Toulon in order for us to be able to play the match during a matchday of the Six Nations."

Don't see how that can affect Toulon...NZ, South Africa and Australia don't play in February

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:17 am

Let's call off the 6Ns altogether - after all, we've had a WC and Bruce and the boys now want their share of the jingle in the money boxes.

"A matchday of the Six Nations"? Hmmm.............. why doesn't he just have the European match during a 6N rest week?

Oh yeah, not controversial enough.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:33 am

50% of all games in the Top14, Pro12 and Premiership.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:34 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Bruce Craig Said

What an entitled little weasel he is.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:44 am

SecretFly wrote:Well first of all you could knock at least two extra games off some club team's schedule each year (and shorten the 'season' too) by going back to a less money grabbing approach of deciding a League.... ie, do away with the play-offs and decide a League winner as a League winner should be decided, by looking at the League table on the last day of the season and naming the side on top as winner.

But money talks and fans want more, more, more rugby, innit!!!!! Wink  The big play-offs are good for biz, for sponsors and for fans that can't get enough of their clubs.

I've never liked play-offs in League.  I think they can often steal the glory from the side that worked hardest through a season to get it.

+1 +1 +1

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:51 am

Notch wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Bruce Craig Said

What an entitled little weasel he is.

Well he is part of a cabal that have ambitions to run English International rugby anyway. So he's getting his Chairman of the Board speeches in early. Maybe their ambitions even stretch to taking over the running of World Rugby Itself and all National Unions.

Spectre! drumroll

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Bruce Craig Said

Funny. they must have had a prepared statement as the link below references Boudjellal as saying that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/european-rugby/11998508/Toulon-vs-Bath-could-be-played-during-Six-Nations-and-France-and-England-must-release-players-says-Boudjellal.html

I'm sure it's an honest mistake that will be quickly rectified. Perhaps you should be a bit more careful as you seem to make a habit of misrepresenting people (using quotation marks where there aren't any, etc).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:19 pm

O come on. We dump the summer tours. So do the SH. Bye bye to international rugby. Then every four years some guys arrive from NZ Mars or wherever and kick seven kinds of 5hit out of us. Meanwhile the rugby powers that be introduce some kind of global club comp to fill the void and its 20-20 all over again with dancing girls celebrating the tries. Ain't going to happen

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:26 pm

hold on a sec!!!! Hold on a sec there Dontheman!!!! Not too hasty!!!!

.... dancing girls celebrating tries?

Yeah well..................well maybe...... so maybe Bruce should get a chance to run things for a while.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

Personally, I'd scrap Europe. I'd also scrap the tours and replace them with a single multinational competition, like the one in South Africa. However, all profit it split between the participants. I'd probably add that for all international games (although that would require the IRB dictating who is involved in each). Possible 5 games, maybe 6 at a push. Anglo Welsh could potentially continue but played during the internationals as a development competition (as it is now anyway).

Either that or just limit the number of games played by each player and have a mandatory continuous rest period during the summer. doesn't matter how many games there are per season. It matter how many games are played by each players (or is it minutes?)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:41 pm

Scrap the club Euros, scrap the league playoffs. Replace with interleague playoffs over 3 or 4 weekends at the end of league season, with Cup, Plate, Bowl, Shield competitions so all teams are included.
Option: England and France to enter divisional franchises while depleted clubs have domestic playoffs. Add "foreign" franchises eg Parisian PI's, London Antipodeans for european club based overseas players.

Reduce leagues by 2 teams.

Combine Summer Tour and AI's into one slot, with Nations playing home and away in alternate years. 2 SH in Europe with 3 NH down south each year, tours to include Tier 2 countries.

Pragmatically, 6N to remain (without rest weekends) but be replaced once in 4 years by a Euro Cup.

Scrap the Lions.

Create a squadron of dirigibles to harvest those pies.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Nov 2015, 2:03 pm

I would scrap the European competitions all together. The second tier is a total waste of space, the English and French have not stuck to their promise that they would take that competition seriously so lets scrap it. Secondly the top tier comp is dying on it's feet. No sponsors, less teams, less interest from the public. The French would rather it gone anyway.

By doing this, it would put more onus on the teams to make their own leagues better.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 2:24 pm

So three completely isolated Leagues.... (I still say they should be decided by the team that starts best and stays best winning it each season - and in turn shortening the season even more).
But anyhow, that's neat compacted seasons designed to get the best from each League side throughout the season, with no distractions, and no complexity to motivations.  One competition for each team and one distinct goal each year.  

Right, I'll go along with that.  When do we all start?  

Is there enough sponsorship money and broadcasting contracts going around though to make three Leagues operating at elite standards and operating so close to each other viable?  We gotta be conscious that some 'League' sponsors hang around for clubs in the hope that they might get bigger exposure in European competitions.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Nov 2015, 2:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:We gotta be conscious that some 'League' sponsors hang around for clubs in the hope that they might get bigger exposure in European competitions.

The bigger exposure from the European competition will not last forever. European club rugby is dying on it's feet.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 17 Nov 2015, 2:54 pm

Personally I would like some re organisation, so the season was something a bit more like:

September- February- league rugby
February- march - European
April/May - 6N and then other internationals

I would guess that at some point we will have a European super league which will mean fewer games. In some ways this would make sense, but I'm not sure I would be happy with the concentration of rugby this would produce and the effect it would have on the teams not invited to the top table.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:We gotta be conscious that some 'League' sponsors hang around for clubs in the hope that they might get bigger exposure in European competitions.

The bigger exposure from the European competition will not last forever. European club rugby is dying on it's feet.

I'd suspect that the sponsorship issues with the new European competition is because the potential sponsors aren't inclined to roll over for the new bosses. They're being asked to share sponsorship headlines with other companies and no naming rights, isn't that the gist of it? I suspect some of the bigger ones are saying all or nothing.... their name in the headlines, naming rights.
So I'd say it's a showdown of big egos at the moment, waiting for someone to blink first.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:54 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I would scrap the European competitions all together. The second tier is a total waste of space, the English and French have not stuck to their promise that they would take that competition seriously so lets scrap it. Secondly the top tier comp is dying on it's feet. No sponsors, less teams, less interest from the public. The French would rather it gone anyway.

By doing this, it would put more onus on the teams to make their own leagues better.

Is this really what's happening?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:24 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I would scrap the European competitions all together. The second tier is a total waste of space, the English and French have not stuck to their promise that they would take that competition seriously so lets scrap it. Secondly the top tier comp is dying on it's feet. No sponsors, less teams, less interest from the public. The French would rather it gone anyway.

Is this really what's happening?

Which part ?

The English and French are not taking the second tier seriously, look at the side Sale sent to Newport on the weekend. The top tier is dying on it's feet, there is less interest and the sponsors are paying less, if it was not for BT being silly buggers and just throwing money at it just to beat Sky, then that tournament would be dead by now. Is this fair to say ? I would welcome a counter point. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:35 pm

Just interested. I'd say much of a muchness bar a stronger top tier now. Just hadn't taken much notice of crowds viewing figures and money. I'm sure you're right and all are down.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:37 pm

I don't think the treatment of the second tier has changed much at all, if anything there are fewer thrashings as the semi pro Italian teams have left. Arguably many fans have only just realised the state of the second tier now that their teams are involved in it.

With regards to the top tier, is there really less interest? I think we have quite an Anglophone view here, the French teams are currently the ones to beat, a few years ago it was the Irish teams. If Munster were in the final again I would bet the 'red army' would re-emerge.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:40 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Just interested. I'd say much of a muchness bar a stronger top tier now. Just hadn't taken much notice of crowds viewing figures and money. I'm sure you're right and all are down.

I thought that across the pool stages last season attendances and TV were both high.

Perhaps LD has fact to back up his claims.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:40 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:I don't think the treatment of the second tier has changed much at all, if anything there are fewer thrashings as the semi pro Italian teams have left. Arguably many fans have only just realised the state of the second tier now that their teams are involved in it.

With regards to the top tier, is there really less interest? I think we have quite an Anglophone view here, the French teams are currently the ones to beat, a few years ago it was the Irish teams. If Munster were in the final again I would bet the 'red army' would re-emerge.  

The mighty Cardiff Blues, a team that cannot beat the pro Italian sides just beat Calvisano 50 odd to 5 in Italy on the weekend. OK

Last edited by LordDowlais on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Just interested. I'd say much of a muchness bar a stronger top tier now. Just hadn't taken much notice of crowds viewing figures and money. I'm sure you're right and all are down.

I thought that across the pool stages last season attendances and TV were both high.

You may well be right, but the lack of sponsors and the fact that Heineken are paying less now than they ever have means it is making less money through sponsorship, although it is making more money through BT, but when they realise that it is not worth what they are paying that will kill the CC off. As for the second tier, meh.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:48 pm

So it depends if BT agree or not then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:So it depends if BT agree or not then.

I suppose so, they are pumping the money in. The sponsors are not coming. If everything that was promised from the start had come to fruition then I have no doubt what so ever that the CC would be all singing and dancing and the best competition of them all, but sadly, this has not happened.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:00 pm

Wasn't there a new sponsor a week or so ago?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:00 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:I don't think the treatment of the second tier has changed much at all, if anything there are fewer thrashings as the semi pro Italian teams have left. Arguably many fans have only just realised the state of the second tier now that their teams are involved in it.

The mighty Cardiff Blues, a team that cannot beat the pro Italian sides just beat Calvisano 50 odd to 5 in Italy on the weekend. OK

The difference being there are now only 2 semi pro whipping boys, whereas there used to be more. Much like the previous incarnation, teams will only take it seriously in the knockout stages once there is a real chance of a trophy.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:07 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Wasn't there a new sponsor a week or so ago?

Yes Turkish Airlines, hardly the global brand they predicted.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:14 pm

Think you're being to pessimistic. Just enjoy the rugby let the suits worry about the money its not really important to the fans or shouldn't be. If the comp dies so be it you can't force people to like it but I think it'll be around a while yet.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 17 Nov 2015, 6:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Wasn't there a new sponsor a week or so ago?

Yes Turkish Airlines, hardly the global brand they predicted.

4th largest carrier in the world by number of destinations. I'd say that's pretty global.

Regardless, does it matter who they are? The PRL's claim was that the competition was under sold previously so it's purely down to money. Information of which hasn't been released yet, has it? I know part of the reason given for increasing the Regions salary cap by about 29% was more European money. Given the guarantees made over the pro12 not losing money it suggests that the new competition made significantly more money than the previous. But that's just educated speculation on limited facts.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Nov 2015, 7:44 pm

Notch wrote:50% of all games in the Top14, Pro12 and Premiership.

Rotate home/away games each year?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Nov 2015, 9:01 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Notch wrote:50% of all games in the Top14, Pro12 and Premiership.

Rotate home/away games each year?

Yep. Playoffs as normal. Thats 11 weekends out of the calendar right away. Even not counting weekends with both test matches and clubs you're still getting, what, 7 extra weekends?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 17 Nov 2015, 9:08 pm

blackcanelion wrote:The length of the rugby season and the number of games is an issue every recognises. What I'm interested in hearing about is what compromises are fans prepared to make. Rugby involves multiple stake holders Fans, Media, Clubs/Provinces, national sides. Everyone wants a vibrant club and international game.

bc: Every (something or other) recognises the number of games is an issue - really! The current workload has worked fine for a number of years, and if it ain't broken, why try and fix it - so before trying to change something it needs to be established what is wrong with the current system?

If the 6N schedule was going to change there would need to be a persuasive reason. This is THE flagship competition in the NH whose timing is tried and tested and generates oodles of cash to keep Unions solvent. Changing the timing could seriously threaten that success so there would need to be a very compelling reason to tinker.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Wed 18 Nov 2015, 12:05 am

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

You may well be right, but the lack of sponsors and the fact that Heineken are paying less now than they ever have means it is making less money through sponsorship, although it is making more money through BT, but when they realise that it is not worth what they are paying that will kill the CC off. As for the second tier, meh.
Let me get this right. The fact that lots people are watching live and on TV is not indicative of interest. The fact that BT and Sky fought like tigers to get the TV rights is not indicative of interest. However the fact that sponsorship is lower proves there is no interest. Do you think you might be being a little selective?

I suspect the reason there is less sponsorship is because sports sponsorship and TV advertising budgets are being cut generally as marketing budgets are redirected towards more targeted internet advertising.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Wed 18 Nov 2015, 12:13 am

I do not think a massive amount of change is required.

The obvious thing to go is the number of internationals. International games should be special. What about losing either AIs or Summer Tours? In the remaining period teams would play in NH one year and SH the next.

The main problem is that the SH rely on the money to keep their rugby going I think.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 18 Nov 2015, 6:53 am

Scrap the stupid playoffs........and I know this might sound strange, but award the league title to.......

THE TEAM THAT FINISHES FIRST !

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Nov 2015, 9:03 am

Scrap the playoffs long before anything else...

They were the manifestation of the professional club game and they make the season too long. They are about exactly what Bruce Craig mentioned, tiring out the players, reducing the off season and creating too many games...!

Summer and Autumn tours have been around as long as I can remember. We need them, the international game is the pinnacle of the sport. Touring is the heart and souls of rugby, anyone who has been a member of a rugby club knows that full well.

We have to be careful otherwise we are going to see cynical business men take rugby and own it. Just like what has happened to football.

If we are not careful these same idiots will cut down the six nations shorten the tours and before too long they will axe great rugby traditions like the Varsity match, baa baas and Lions.

These are what rugby as a culture is based upon. It is not just a game, it's about the love of a game, making friendships around the country you play, if you're lucky enough to travel even around the world.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 18 Nov 2015, 10:11 am

Hi Maes, just noticed you hadn't corrected your post incorrectly attributing a quote to Brucey. Perhaps you missed it as there have been a lot of posts between then and now.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 18 Nov 2015, 10:52 am

Yeah I believe that scraping the play-offs would be the most realistic and sensible change to make.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 18 Nov 2015, 12:17 pm

I like the playoffs, although I would have two trophys.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 18 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm

10 team leagues with the 2 Italian sides joining the 2nd tier of the French league.
No play offs.

Makes 18 games + 6 to 9 European games

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next