The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "no arms" tackle

+11
TJ
doctor_grey
Pete330v2
mikey_dragon
Rory_Gallagher
Seagultaf
Cyril
lostinwales
VinceWLB
stub
Chunky Norwich
15 posters

Go down

The "no arms" tackle Empty The "no arms" tackle

Post by Chunky Norwich Sat 21 Nov 2015, 9:38 pm

Any referees here? Can anyone explain why one of these is a penalty. And the other isn't? Both were from this weekend's games, and both times, the referee stopped the game to look at the offences. Thanks.

The "no arms" tackle D562da6a65a4828e7091f40670b3d24f

The "no arms" tackle 2a856a3c44718aa2a6c0fb7a9394c580

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

The "no arms" tackle Empty Re: The "no arms" tackle

Post by stub Sat 21 Nov 2015, 9:54 pm

Not a referee and cannot understand the difference, in fact I thought that Billy V made more of an attempt to use his arms. I think that it is just inconsistent interpretation of the laws...

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Edit: actually not sure your clip was Billy V so apologies if my post is incorrect.

Edit 2: Not Billy V (was Burger) but still inconsistent interpretation of the laws.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:18 pm

Although i'm not a ref and certainly don't intend to become one. This is a yellow in both case under the new rules directive but we all know Jacques Burger can get away with basically anything he wants.

Talking about "no arms" tackle Vunipola's yellow yesterday was a soft one.

Last edited by VinceWLB on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:20 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Although i'm not a ref and certainly don't intend to become one. This is a yellow in both case under the new rules directive but we all know Jacques Burger can get away with basically anything he wants.

Burger was the one that was penalised.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:21 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Although i'm not a ref and certainly don't intend to become one. This is a yellow in both case under the new rules directive but we all know Jacques Burger can get away with basically anything he wants.

And should have received a yellow card in the process.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:36 pm

Both should have received yellows then I guess if that is what the laws say. To me the tackles looked identical. Different refs/different interpretations.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:43 pm

The only thing I'd say (based on the evidence above) is that in the Burger tackle its actually his arm that is in contact with the guy being, shall we say, 'tripped'. In the first instance its the tackler's shoulder.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:56 pm

lostinwales wrote:The only thing I'd say (based on the evidence above) is that in the Burger tackle its actually his arm that is in contact with the guy being, shall we say, 'tripped'. In the first instance its the tackler's shoulder.

True, Burger is certainly tackling a good bit lower which could perhaps be construed as a trip. That said the top one looks like the elbow kind of makes most contact.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:05 am

Does Dan Lydiate ever use his arms? His 'tackling' should be carded every single time.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:23 am

Cyril wrote:Does Dan Lydiate ever use his arms? His 'tackling' should be carded every single time.

The reason for the crack down on no arms tackles was the number of players being injured by what we're really shoulder charges, disguised as tackles. Unfortunately the small minded people who administer the game have yet again taken things too far. In my opinion neither of the tackles above or any that I recall by Lydiate are dangerous, they are chop tackles and trip up the ball carrier. I am really frustrated that an innocuous trip tackle is being treated in the same way as a kick or shoulder charge to the head, this is simply crazy and does nothing to reduce the risk of serious injury to players!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:38 am

What about Dan Lydiate hyperextending Conor Murray's knee last season through one of his "chop" tackles?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:48 am

It's rare that I've seen Dan Lydiate commit a no-arms tackle. On the occasions that he did it very luckily went unnoticed.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:51 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:What about Dan Lydiate hyperextending Conor Murray's knee last season through one of his "chop" tackles?

Webb experienced exactly the same injury against Italy and is still out injured, there was and is no suggestion that this was due to foul play. Rugby is a physical game and players will get unlucky injuries from perfectly legal tackles, we could I suppose remove all physicality and call the game soccer?

In my opinion hyper extension of the knee is actually more likely when the arms wrap around and trap the lower limb than if it's a trip tackle. What the game needs to do is to look at ways of reducing or preventing head injuries, as these have the potential to be life changing or (as has happened recently) life ending.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:05 pm

"Any referees here? Can anyone explain why one of these is a penalty. And the other isn't? Both were from this weekend's games, and both times, the referee stopped the game to look at the offences. Thanks."

One ref got it wrong, the other got it right. It's called inconsistent reffing.

Next topic!!!!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7fXJzCYo0

It is difficult to see if he does wrap the arms, but it is a late tackle, straight to the knee when the player isn't expecting it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:13 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:"Any referees here? Can anyone explain why one of these is a penalty. And the other isn't? Both were from this weekend's games, and both times, the referee stopped the game to look at the offences. Thanks."

Next topic!!!!!!

Cheers for your insight. A true rugby visionary.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:16 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:"Any referees here? Can anyone explain why one of these is a penalty. And the other isn't? Both were from this weekend's games, and both times, the referee stopped the game to look at the offences. Thanks."

Next topic!!!!!!

Cheers for your insight. A true rugby visionary.

It's a pleasure, don't mention it, we will miss you when the Mods ban you very soon Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:17 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7fXJzCYo0

It is difficult to see if he does wrap the arms, but it is a late tackle, straight to the knee when the player isn't expecting it.

If that's late and dirty, Furlong's on AW Jones is late and dirty.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:What about Dan Lydiate hyperextending Conor Murray's knee last season through one of his "chop" tackles?

Webb experienced exactly the same injury against Italy and is still out injured, there was and is no suggestion that this was due to foul play. Rugby is a physical game and players will get unlucky injuries from perfectly legal tackles, we could I suppose remove all physicality and call the game soccer?

In my opinion hyper extension of the knee is actually more likely when the arms wrap around and trap the lower limb than if it's a trip tackle. What the game needs to do is to look at ways of reducing or preventing head injuries, as these have the potential to be life changing or (as has happened recently) life ending.

I should add that I think Dan Lydiate has the best tackling technique in the game, and the so called chop tackle is only one string to his bow. I think that the shoulder charge to the knee area is a creeping issue in the game however as it can cause some serious damage. I for one am glad to see it get penalised as I want to see players have a long and prosperous career.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

Never liked this rule, never will.

We constantly see "no arms" rugby league style chest level tackles get unpunished so why tackles below belt level be punished?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Never liked this rule, never will.

We constantly see "no arms" rugby league style chest level tackles get unpunished so why tackles below belt level be punished?

Billy Vunipola received a yellow card for a very debatable rugby league style tackle on Friday night. It is getting looked at as well.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:23 pm

Whether, in theory, eith of the tackles were legal as specified in the Laws, both have the potential to be dangerous and both, therefore, should be penalised. No arms, shoulders in the knee area. Bin 'em both.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:24 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Never liked this rule, never will.

Billy Vunipola received a yellow card for a very debatable rugby league style tackle on Friday night. It is getting looked at as well.

Awful decision. If that's yellow, then there's 8 or 9 yellows a game.

The "no arms" tackle E6ee4cd9f04c044e4ece060760515292

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:33 pm

Chunky - do you ever have anything positive to say about rugby? Why don't you go away?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:39 pm

I have no idea how that could be considered a yellow and at the same time a blatant no arm tackle/shoulder to the face of a Glasgow player goes unpunished

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Whether, in theory, eith of the tackles were legal as specified in the Laws, both have the potential to be dangerous and both, therefore, should be penalised.  No arms, shoulders in the knee area.  Bin 'em both.

OK

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:21 pm

cakeordeath wrote:I have no idea how that could be considered a yellow and at the same time a blatant no arm tackle/shoulder to the face of a Glasgow player goes unpunished

One ref got it right and one didn't?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:47 pm

In the Bath match, T'eo (I think) had a bit of a shoulder charge on Roko and no penalty or review plus Healy had a tackle reviewed by the referee which was deemed OK but seems to have a distinct lack of arms (may be more clumsy).

In the Sarries match, Burger was pinged when he got at least one and bit arms there, much more convincing than Healy's.

For Northampton, early on Waller got pinged when again seeming to use both arms.  I rather agree the tackle towards was a bit marginal.

I gather referees on trying to clam-down but not always very consistent.

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:02 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:

And should have received a yellow card in the process.

And he did get away with a late, no arms, shoulder charge to the soft dangly bits of an LI player a few weeks back ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down