The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Connacht, 28 November

+18
LondonTiger
21st Century Schizoid Man
carpet baboon
toml
westisbest
2ndtimeround
brennomac
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
VinceWLB
profitius
galwegian101
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
Sin é
eirebilly
Pot Hale
Marshes
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Marshes Thu 26 Nov 2015, 6:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Got tired of waiting for George to care about a thread for the game on the west coast (only joking George!), so put one together. Really I just couldn't wait to tell the Munster lads how badly they were going to be beat in their own yard! Go cut Pat Lam a switch lads, and prepare for your hiding  

Yahoo



Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 22         Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 16


Munster Rugby v Connacht Rugby

Saturday 28 November 2015
KO 17:15
Thomond Park, Limerick
Live on SKY

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 13th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Mark Patton, Jonathan Peak (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)
TMO: Simon McDowell (IRFU)

A. Head to Head
26 Played 26
23 Wins 2
2 Losses 23
1 Draws 1
601 Points 283

B. Form
Munster Rugby
14/11/15 Munster 32 - 7 Treviso
7/11/15 Edinburgh 14 - 16 Munster
30/10/15 Munster 32 - 28 Ulster

Connacht Rugby
21/11/15 Connacht 21 - 17 Brive
14/11/15 Enisei-STM 14 - 31 Connacht
6/11/15 Connacht 33 - 19 Treviso


C. Teams
Munster
Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 OtooleHarris_harri_2766656k
15 Andrew Conway
14 Gerhard van den Heever
13 Keith Earls
12 Francis Saili,
11 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino
10 Ian Keatley
9 Tomás O'Leary
1 James Cronin
2 Niall Scannell
3 BJ Botha
4 Donnacha Ryan
5 Mark Chisholm
6 CJ Stander (captain)
7 Jack O'Donoghue
8 Robin Copeland

Replacements:
16 Kevin O'Byrne
17 Dave Kilcoyne
18 John Ryan
19 Dave Foley
20 Jordan Coghlan
21 Duncan Williams
22 Rory Scannell
23 Denis Hurley.

Connacht
Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 97371-004-9F835939
15 Robbie Henshaw
14 Tiernan O’Halloran
13 Bundee Aki
12 Craig Ronaldson
11 Matt Healy
10 AJ MacGinty
9 Kieran Marmion
1 Denis Buckley
2 Shane Delahunt
3 Nathan White
4 Ultan Dillane
5 Aly Muldowney
6 John Muldoon (captain)
7 James Connolly
8 Eoghan Masterson

Replacements:
16 Dave Heffernan
17 Ronan Loughney
18 Finlay Bealham
19 George Naoupu
20 Sean O’Brien
21 Ian Porter
22 Jack Carty
23 Darragh Leader


Last edited by Marshes on Fri 27 Nov 2015, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding teams)

Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down


Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by SecretFly Sun 29 Nov 2015, 11:57 am

I couldn't watch the game as I was on the road, and watching whilst driving is dangerous.... they tell me. Whistle

So I'm intrigued by the alluded-to Aki interview. I assume people mean a post game one? Can anyone tell me the gist of what he said briefly?

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:07 pm

From what I can remember... he thanked God and said that all the glory goes to him, before thanking his team mates profusely and praising Connacht for their heart and passion. I thought he came across as extremely humble and he is a good ambassador for this newly driven Connacht team and how much self belief they now have.

If Ulster do not win the League, I know who I'll be supporting. I'm afraid Munster are off my second favourite team spot for the time being. Connacht winning would be a big achievement for the province and for Irish rugby in general and long may their streak continue.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by SecretFly Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:24 pm

Yeah, it's great to see Connacht taking up some of the slack as the others limp and groan and misfire through this season so far.

In one sense, at least, they're on their way to becoming the new Munster! - in that they're acquiring some heroic tales now, that they'll embellish and embellish as the years slide by (as Irish people tend to do Whistle) - and that trip to Siberia especially will undoubtedly have Mammoths involved somewhere, or even abominable snowmen, by the time some of these current players are retiring. Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Kingshu Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:52 pm

Looking at the strength in the squad Connacht are now displaying.

A few years ago Carr was the stand out player and now at 29 (should be his peak) he can hardly even get into the team.
Connacht fans were overjoyed when George Naoupu came back from Japan, now he is really having to fight for a first team spot.

2 teams

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
14 Danie Poolman
13 Robbie Henshaw
12 Bundee Aki
11 Matt Healy
10 AJ MacGinty
9 Kieran Marmion
1 Denis Buckley
2 Tom McCartney
3 Nathan White
4 Quinn Roux
5 Aly Muldowney
6 John Muldoon (captain)
7 Jake Heenan
8 Eoghan Masterson

15 Darragh Leader
14 Fionn Carr
13 Dave McSharry
12 Craig Ronaldson
11 Niyi Adeolokun
10 Jack Carty
9 Ian Porter
1 Rodney Ah You
2 Jason Harris-Wright
3 Ronan Loughney
4 Ultan Dillane
5 Andrew Browne
6 Eoin McKeon
7 Nepia Fox-Matamua
8 George Naoupu


Some players may swap between first and 2nd team as there are a number of close calls.

But I think that second team is better than the 2nd team we could name for Ulster or Munster, and most other teams in the league.

Kingshu

Posts : 3908
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 29 Nov 2015, 5:54 pm

Connacht have been given a special dispensation to recruit without having the NIQ restrictions placed on them. Considering they have 13 players from overseas in those two teams, it shows how heavily they rely on imported players.

With their academy now blooming they should be able to rely less on imports in the future, but if they usurp one of the 'big three' provinces from the ERCC next year, no doubt fingers will be pointed to the IRFU claiming foul.

So when should the restrictions be imposed on Connacht - or perhaps relaxed on the other three?

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Sin é Sun 29 Nov 2015, 6:02 pm

Four Irish teams can qualify now (no restriction to 3 teams). Its up to the other Provinces to qualify ahead of the Scots, Italians & Welsh. Connacht nearly made it last year ahead of Scarlets.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 29 Nov 2015, 6:22 pm

If it aint broke don't fix it. No point in even talking about restrictions yet... They have plenty of young players coming through.

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5806
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 32
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Marshes Sun 29 Nov 2015, 6:30 pm

I count 13 from overseas for Connacht, 9 for Munster and Leinster, and 8 for Ulster. In fairness, if Connacht were to be given the same status, I'm sure they would be happy to play by the same rules

Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Sin é Sun 29 Nov 2015, 6:36 pm

Marshes wrote:I count 13 from overseas for Connacht, 9 for Munster and Leinster, and 8 for Ulster. In fairness, if Connacht were to be given the same status, I'm sure they would be happy to play by the same rules

Congratulations - a great and well deserved win for Connacht.

Just for the record, a fair few of Munster's overseas players at the moment are short term covering serious injuries or retirements. I don't know about the other provinces, but Munster are continually being shot down for signings (like Stephen Moore recently) despite losing both our most influential players (POC & POM) recently.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Guest Sun 29 Nov 2015, 6:57 pm

I don't want the NIQ changed, and I don't want restrictions put on Connacht. They are doing great, and hopefully that very evident progress will be rewarded with a growing fan base. Not that they shouldn't be treated the same as the other Provinces, just that it's too early. It shouldn't be forgot that Connacht didn't receive the same level of funding as the rest of us, or that they didn't lose players to the other Provinces.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Marshes Sun 29 Nov 2015, 7:32 pm

Sin é wrote:
Marshes wrote:I count 13 from overseas for Connacht, 9 for Munster and Leinster, and 8 for Ulster. In fairness, if Connacht were to be given the same status, I'm sure they would be happy to play by the same rules

Congratulations - a great and well deserved win for Connacht.

Just for the record, a fair few of Munster's overseas players at the moment are short term covering serious injuries or retirements. I don't know about the other provinces, but Munster are continually being shot down for signings (like Stephen Moore recently) despite losing both our most influential players (POC & POM) recently.

Cheers Sin! Fantastic battle from both teams, would love to have been there!



Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by profitius Sun 29 Nov 2015, 7:37 pm

Connacht still get less money from the IRFU for players then the other 3 provinces although the gap has closed a good bit. Thats why they're allowed more NIQs. The gap on the playing front has been closing for years so no surprise to see them beat Munster. Good for the league too to have another strong team.
profitius
profitius

Posts : 4708
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by brennomac Sun 29 Nov 2015, 9:16 pm

SecretFly wrote:Yeah, it's great to see Connacht taking up some of the slack as the others limp and groan and misfire through this season so far.  

In one sense, at least, they're on their way to becoming the new Munster! - in that they're acquiring some heroic tales now, that they'll embellish and embellish as the years slide by (as Irish people tend to do Whistle) - and that trip to Siberia especially will undoubtedly have Mammoths involved somewhere, or even abominable snowmen, by the time some of these current players are retiring. Wink  

Listen the real story is that Connacht diverted from Siberia to the Himalayas so Muldoon could have a wresting match with the Yeti and Muldowney could climb Everest without oxygen with Marmion on his back Very Happy

Seriously though, how many Connacht players can we see breaking through into the Irish squad or the wolfpuppies - O'Halloran, Healy, Dillane, Buckley (loved his behind his arse offload in the first half). And when does Aki become IQ. The last try between Henshaw and Aki wqas was an absolute jewel.

brennomac

Posts : 824
Join date : 2011-02-11
Location : Dublin 8 - that bastion or rugby

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by rodders Mon 30 Nov 2015, 10:43 am

Sensational performance from Connacht - I thought I was watching super rugby the skill levels were so high in that first half form them - what a breath of fresh air from the other provinces. Well played Pat Lamb and shows the value of quality coaching.

They were almost robbed by a shocking penalty try but fair play they showed real character and that try by Bundiaki was sublime.

Very impressed with Henshaw at 15 and am wondering if he's not even better there than in the centre.

Maybe Ireland should be looking at McCloskey, Olding, Cave or Reid at 12 and Henshaw at fullback.

Is Muldowney IQ? Always impressed every time I see him.

Very poor performance by Munster.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by carpet baboon Mon 30 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm

Muldowny is IQ if I remember correctly. He got a call upto scotland A while at Glasgow, but never took the field so he should be eligible

carpet baboon

Posts : 2674
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Sin é Mon 30 Nov 2015, 3:43 pm

According to Limerick Radio, Munster were told by Ireland management to rest Zebo. This makes it all very interesting as presumably they also are telling the Provincial coaches what position players should be playing!

I believe Henshaw is out for a month with a broken hand.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Guest Mon 30 Nov 2015, 3:46 pm

Think Henshaw is out for 6 weeks, and Buckley out for 3 weeks.

I thought the IRFU were telling the provinces where to play their players anyway. Payne to 13, Henderson in second row?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by rodders Mon 30 Nov 2015, 4:03 pm

Amazed Muldowney hasn't featured for Ireland yet.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 30 Nov 2015, 10:28 pm

It's not that amazing that a 32 year old 6'5" lock who has never been tested at a high European level hasn't made it into a Test team, especially when there are younger options to invest in with the next RWC four years away.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Golden Mon 30 Nov 2015, 11:20 pm

Just saw the full match today and was very impressed with the ref. He may have been a bit harsh with the penalty try/yellow card decision but he controlled the game very well and allowed a great contest to play out.


Is Heenan out for the season, or is he expected back soon?

Golden

Posts : 3368
Join date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by rodders Wed 02 Dec 2015, 1:03 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:It's not that amazing that a 32 year old 6'5" lock who has never been tested at a high European level hasn't made it into a Test team, especially when there are younger options to invest in with the next RWC four years away.

32 isn't that old for a lock and when you consider the likes of McCarthy and Touhy are in and around the squad I think he's playing as well as or better than many of the other options. Ryan is 32/33 as well and Toner 30/31.

Pretty sure Muldowney was one of Connachts best performers in when they beat Toulouse.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by VinceWLB Wed 02 Dec 2015, 1:27 pm

rodders wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:It's not that amazing that a 32 year old 6'5" lock who has never been tested at a high European level hasn't made it into a Test team, especially when there are younger options to invest in with the next RWC four years away.

32 isn't that old for a lock and when you consider the likes of McCarthy and Touhy are in and around the squad I think he's playing as well as or better than many of the other options. Ryan is 32/33 as well and Toner 30/31.  

Pretty sure Muldowney was one of Connachts best performers in when they beat Toulouse.

Muldowney wasn't in the squad when they won in Toulouse, Mick Kearney and Craig Clarke (great player..) were the locks with Mike Swift on the bench.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3841
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by rodders Wed 02 Dec 2015, 2:02 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
rodders wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:It's not that amazing that a 32 year old 6'5" lock who has never been tested at a high European level hasn't made it into a Test team, especially when there are younger options to invest in with the next RWC four years away.

32 isn't that old for a lock and when you consider the likes of McCarthy and Touhy are in and around the squad I think he's playing as well as or better than many of the other options. Ryan is 32/33 as well and Toner 30/31.  

Pretty sure Muldowney was one of Connachts best performers in when they beat Toulouse.

Muldowney wasn't in the squad when they won in Toulouse, Mick Kearney and Craig Clarke (great player..) were the locks with Mike Swift on the bench.

Fair enough, well he definitely played well one time before as I made a mental note of it.

Mike Swift, how could I forget about him! Maybe he should get a belated call up too!
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Munster v Connacht, 28 November - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Connacht, 28 November

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum