The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

+20
Jetty
Pal Joey
VTR
kingraf
GSC
Duty281
SimonofSurrey
Hammersmith harrier
JDizzle
Galted
guildfordbat
Mad for Chelsea
CaledonianCraig
alfie
king_carlos
KP_fan
LivinginItaly
msp83
LondonTiger
Good Golly I'm Olly
24 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread - Page 3 Empty Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 24 Dec 2015, 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Jimmy Anderson officially out, Woakes and Finn expected to be named with Jordan, footitt and ballance missing out.

Joe Root missing training today due to an upset stomach, but should be ok for day one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:21 am

Olly do you not think that is England's problem though? Far too many dashers such as Stokes, Ali, Root, Hales and even Bairstow goes for his shots. All more than enough to build a fluent innings even with Compton putting down anchor. As I have said having someone who sticks around is crucial as well as when you have a side like England that is prone to collapses.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Saffers - England, 1st test, Durban - match thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:23 am

Compton's low SR in my opinion puts a lot of pressure on the other batsmen to be scoring runs at a reasonable rate and to keep the game moving along. Craig you've gone the complete other way by bringing up Stokes, Root and Taylor are more like it, not sloggers but players able to manipulate the field and pick up ones and twos whilst putting the bad ball away.

Sounds harsh considering he's scored 85 but I simply don't and never have wanted Compton in the team; we'll soon revert to a Cook, Compton, Ballance top three which is just painful.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:27 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Far too many dashers such as Stokes, Ali, Root, Hales and even Bairstow goes for his shots.

One of whom Stokes is a dasher while the others are just fluent stroke players.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:29 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Olly do you not think that is England's problem though? Far too many dashers such as Stokes, Ali, Root, Hales and even Bairstow goes for his shots. All more than enough to build a fluent innings even with Compton putting down anchor. As I have said having someone who sticks around is crucial as well as when you have a side like England that is prone to collapses.

Wouldn't call any of them dashers, simply proactive players. Common thread between guys like Stokes, Root, Taylor etc is they're looking to keep the scoreboard ticking over, whereas with Compton I see someone just looking to survive. As others have said puts pressure on these guys to really up the rate.

I don't think we're asking a lot from Compton here. He needs to get to Cook's strike rate, just be a little more proactive. Nothing outrageous
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:29 am

Anyway, just sneaked over 300 in the end
However we got there, its not bad after being put in to bat

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:33 am

Think we were aiming more 250 than 300 but the bowlers can be satisfied because conditions have not been as good for bowling as they initially appeared.

In 2012 from here the plan would be score 600 and win by an innings. Right now... I'm really not sure. I'm not even sure England haven't already attained a huge insurmountable total given the India tour.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:34 am

VTR wrote:Anyway, just sneaked over 300 in the end
However we got there, its not bad after being put in to bat

Also got there without Cook/Root scoring runs. Not too bad.

Woakes time now #fingerscrossed
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:34 am

KP_fan wrote:I have said about Compton when I saw him in tours of India and NZ ...this guy has temperament and innings building ability and that he should have gotten a much longer rope ...Flower's whim or ego or both and selector's snootiness ...... ate up about 3 prime years of his life...

and Taylor...every time i saw him bat in ODis....had to ask....why is he not playing tests...

anyway....better late than never...they are both in the playing 11 and as the situation corrects itself further....Ballance will replace Hales as Compton will go up to the opening slot.
Bell should have been the one to be dropped instead of Ballance  when Ballance got dumped. The latter is a good quality test match batsman.

Eng are very much in the game.....so far and if their allrounders can each get 20s and 30s...they will get close to 300ish.....competitive against a SA side...whose biggest weakness to me... is lack of leadership

it's playing out to the script.....it's a competitive total....Broad's run a ball 30 odd is very valuable at the end
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:36 am

I think Compton should be praised on the one hand for seeing England through what could have been a well below par performance yesterday along with Taylor. Those older style batsmen add an extra dimension to the game which seems to be lacking nowadays. A hint of Boycott dare I say!
However, he should try to work the ball around more and rotate the strike. That would be of benefit not only to himself but the team too naturally!

Can see Raf's side of the debate too though. After all of that grit and determination... then to see the flurry of wickets this morning by some less circumspect (almost irresponsible) batsmen does tend to undo some of that slow Compton graft work.

Otherwise duty's 350-450 predictions might have been possibly right for once!

Looking forward to see if SA can turn their recent form around back at home. I suspect they will; if they can see off a slightly weaker England opening bowling line up and settle in early. On the other hand.... lose a few early and they will no doubt make things harder for themselves. Surely not?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:38 am

Holding the innings together is a bit of a nonsense cliche for me really. What does it actually mean? The aim of cricket is to score runs, you aren't rewarded for batting time. Yes, if Compton makes 85 off 236 every knock I'd take it, but that simply isn't going to happen. It is all very well in saying you have to have the technique/ability/mental side to get through tricky spells, but it doesn't count for anything if you don't push on after that. In the long run, batting at a s/r of 36 is going to put pressure on your teammates to do all the scoring and is going to lead to more collapses.

Plus, if this is Compton in good nick, imagine him in poor touch! As Olly said, needs to be able to rotate the strike more. I'll give him a bit of a pass as it was on a slow pitch and outfield and his first knock back, but Taylor showed scoring at a s/r of 50 was possible. Which, coincidentally, is probably the biggest change from when he was last in the side.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:44 am

Oh and jonny bairstow is fast becoming the new Bell - no horror scores, but no cementing his place in the side scores either
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:45 am

Someone like Ian Bell gets a quickish 15-20 and a lot of single figure scores with a couple of big scores in between. But that wasn't helping England, even in this innings they just batted around a day's usual quota of overs. Compton made 85, and that is a substantial score, the highest of the innings and he was 6th out. He came in pretty early after England lost Alastair Cook, their batting mainstay along with Root for a duck, soon it became 12-2, and when they lost Root Too, the score was only 49. It was Compton's and Taylor's measured approach that helped them recover. If they had gone mental and went after everything, they might have reached a hundred at a quicker rate, but there wouldn't have been many more to that total.......
Compton can perhaps work on getting more singles, but this was a fine effort that deserves a lot more credit than what he's getting.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:49 am

Compton- 85 from 236 balls
Taylor- 70 from 137 balls

One is a measured approach, the other is batting like a snail too scared of playing a shot in case he gets out.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:49 am

Slightly below par from England.

Criticism of Compton is ludicrous, seeing as how England would have struggled to make 200 without his effort.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:50 am

In my mind, Kingsmead is one of those scary grounds to watch Test cricket. Depressing looking place with that volatile, evil looking wicket block... even so early in the match. If this match gets to Day 4 it will be a killing ground by the looks of it. Never know what's around the corner. Just glad Australia haven't played there for a while... last time was in 2006 I believe.

There's a real mid-20th C look to the place with those tin roofs slapped with a coat of modern paint and some tacky advertising.

What time does the tide usually come in, Raf? Some time in the afternoon, yeah?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:50 am

Or if you want someone who can score big and score them quick, you know where to go!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:51 am

In this situation Compton was perfect. Long term he has to show he has a higher gear but that was not required in this situation.

Weird Innings, England would've taken 300 after being put in and overnight you'd suspect. Then collapsed to 260 and scraped to 300. Plenty of scores but neither Taylor or Compton went on to make that big 100 that turns these 300s into big targets.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:56 am

Next HIGH TIDE in Durban is at 4:55 PM, which is in 3 hr 57 min 56 s from now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:56 am

I've never jet skiid at Durban, so I don't actually know. .. but it can't be that different to Jay Bay so I'd say 4-5
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:57 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Compton- 85 from 236 balls
Taylor- 70 from 137 balls

One is a measured approach, the other is batting like a snail too scared of playing a shot in case he gets out.

Wow, you're criticising a batsmen for protecting his wicket. He came to the crease at 3/1, shortly after it was 12/2. There were numerous stoppages in play during his innings. And he was facing Steyn and Morkel. On his first test appearance for two years.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:58 am

kingraf wrote:I've never jet skiid at Durban, so I don't actually know. .. but it can't be that different to Jay Bay so I'd say 4-5

Smile
Yep, spot on with your estimate.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:00 am

Cannot believe the stick Compton is getting on here. The man came in at 0/1 , saw two more fall early , and batted through (top scoring) to see the team to 247/5 ...yes a poor stroke to get out , and bad timing to fall when he did ; but harsh to blame the next two fellows making ducks on him !

Sure I'd like to see him more fluent too : but let us be realistic . He is what he is - Nick not Dennis. Has to play to his limits else he'd not be a lot of use to England. When they find someone better , he will be replaced , unless he gets better. But for now ; good effort I say clap

And I am not one of those who felt he was wrongly dropped/should have been back sooner , etc etc. But he earned my respect with this innings.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:06 am

Broady! Yahoo

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:07 am

Nice start for Broad Smile

What one might call an injudicious leave...

Last edited by alfie on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:07 am

Stephen Cook is coming round the corner
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:13 am

Your man Woakes is getting his chance , I see , Olly.

Didn't exactly cover himself with glory with the bat ...hopefully will do a job with the new ball now ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:18 am

Twice Broad thinks Amla has nicked it ...but England , wisely , don't review.
I'm sure Cook is well aware Amla walks when he's out.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:18 am

Compressed air on Ultra Edge... so, so close.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:19 am

Little spike but I don't think it would have been overturned?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:21 am

Imagine getting impaled by that Sunfoil umbrella. What a way to go...

Last edited by The Loaded Dog on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:21 am

Only seen bits and pieces of this match so far but a few quick thoughts:

1. The criticism of Compton is too soon and so far unfair. Let's give him at least 3 games and then make a judgment. Too much of the assessment above seems on his past reputation - you critics may turn out to be right but I'm prepared to give him some more time and certainly feel he's earned it on this innings.

2. VTR is on the money above with his comment questioning ''a long batting line up or lack of reliable quality''. Sure, anyone can get a duck and I won't go overboard about that. Do feel though that others went too much the other way believing additional runs were virtually guaranteed. Ali's and Woakes' real jobs (in this Test anyway) are with the ball and that is still to come.

3. [This thought has just been destroyed by Broad's second ball but I'll keep it in!!] Disappointing we couldn't bat even 1 ball beyond lunch - at Surrey, Alec Stewart regularly emphasises how much opening batsmen value the extra time to prepare before walking out to the wicket.

4. SA's spinner Piedt seemed terrible. How did he get Joe with his first ball?

5. Suspect both sides will be slightly disappointed with England's first innings score. From 49/3, not bad to get 300 but we would have been looking for more at 174/3.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:22 am

Think Amla got the slightest of slightest nicks on that. Certainly in real-time I thought it was out.

Probably wouldn't have been enough evidence to overturn it had Cook reviewed.

Broad bowling wonderfully.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:23 am

kingraf wrote:Little spike but I don't think it would have been overturned?

Doubt it would've been tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:27 am

Oh Jonny.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:28 am

And I'd have overturned the Amla nick. Spike on snicko as it passes the bat, nothing else it could have been. An edge for me. Doubt the the third umpire would have seen it the same way. Guessing no HotSpot in this series then?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:28 am

Ouch ! Amla dropped ...

Bairstow got there but couldn't hold on...probably would have been taken by Cook had he left it .

Not a man you want to miss early...and bad luck for Woakes.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:30 am

Amla living dangerously. Compton and Taylor suggest it might get easier when you dig in so England need to strike while they can.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:31 am

JDizzle wrote:And I'd have overturned the Amla nick. Spike on snicko as it passes the bat, nothing else it could have been. An edge for me. Doubt the the third umpire would have seen it the same way. Guessing no HotSpot in this series then?

Compressed air it could have been.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:32 am

That second Amla one was out and should have been given out had it been referred.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:35 am

kingraf wrote:
JDizzle wrote:And I'd have overturned the Amla nick. Spike on snicko as it passes the bat, nothing else it could have been. An edge for me. Doubt the the third umpire would have seen it the same way. Guessing no HotSpot in this series then?

Would that actually make enough sound to be audible?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:35 am

England bowlers right on top here : will want to strike again while they're hot. Batting will get a lot easier when this ball gets older...

Pleased to see Woakes bowling so well here . He needs to forget about the missed chance and keep doing more of the same.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:38 am

Absolute ripper that from Broad.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:39 am

You beautiful man, Stuart. These two are bowling superbly in tandem.

Amla perishes on his third life.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:40 am

Gone now !

Don't know who is happier - Broad or Bairstow Smile

I didn't think he nicked the earlier one , by the way. Don't totally trust these snicko gadgets.

England right on top now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:45 am

If England can get ABDV early they'll be well on top. Easier said than done mind.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:49 am

JDizzle wrote:
kingraf wrote:

Would that actually make enough sound to be audible?

I would think so? On series with Hot spot I've never seen hot spot pick up an edge with a sound that faint on snicko
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:53 am

Question for Cook is how long he keeps Broad going now. Really wants to throw everything at ABDV , of course...but don't want to kill the main man...

Moeen ? Interesting change.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:55 am

Probably just having a look if SA are suffering from any PTSD from the India tour. I think it's pretty clever.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:58 am

Raf, do you think Amla has been on a slow slide since he got the captaincy?
He seems to struggle more these days and it's as though he's lacking confidence. His body language was never super confident but do you reckon it's head or heart under pressure... or he will come good at some stage in the near future? He just seems to have lost the urge to stand and fight but maybe I'm reading him wrong though.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Dec 2015, 12:02 pm

I back Amla. This is his first proper dip in form. Maybe just doesn't know how to handle it? Think the team just not being very good at the moment isnt helping. thats a problem Smith he didn't really have. He'll come good.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next