The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current top 4 strengths, weaknesses, and predictions for second half of season

Go down

Current top 4 strengths, weaknesses, and predictions for second half of season Empty Current top 4 strengths, weaknesses, and predictions for second half of season

Post by socal1976 Wed 30 Dec 2015 - 20:41

Well half the matches have been played and now a clearer picture has emerged of the contenders for the title. The current top 4 we have I see as the only real contenders for the league title, all have flawed squads and strengths to varying degrees, but I can't really see outside of the current top 4 any of the other sides being good enough to win the league even in this crazy and wide open league race.

Leicester:

Strengths: Mahrez and Vardy are arguably the two best players this season in the premier league and both candidates for player of the year honors. Their ability to pressure quickly and their directness in attack has been devastating this season. As an 11 man unit they pressure the ball up high as well as anyone and then Mahrez and Vardy provide that cutting edge and goals

Weaknesses: Overeliance on the two big stars as we saw against City, Mahrez was carrying niggle, Vardy had a virus and Leicester should have won against a City team ripe for the taking. Have not played the big clubs well this season. Lost to Arsenal, lost Liverpool, and drew at home against City. In a long season if one of the two big guns goes down or off boil you can probably assume their title challenge will be over.

Prediction: 4th

Man City:

Strengths: of the teams mentioned they have the most stars, the most championship experience, the most resources and the best attack. Best squad on paper in the division and probably with Chelsea's collapse should be the team running away with the league.

Weaknesses: Defensively without Kompany they give up a lot of goals and uncharacteristically haven't produced a lot of road goals this season to make up for it. The championship core of the team has always been Aguero, Ya Ya, and Kompany. This spine is in a bit of a shambles right now. Kompany and Aguero struggling for fitness from injuries. And Ya Ya simply doesn't seem to perform consistently as the engine of the team as he did two or three years ago. The young guys like Sterling and De bruyne are not yet ready to lead this team to the title and the old core seems incapable of doing it anymore.

Prediction: 2nd

Spurs:

Strengths: They have a well balanced unit with an exceptional goal keeper a strong defense and defensive midfield and Alli, Kane, and Eriksen to provide the goals and creativity. Pocchettino has finally brought stability to their management and has a team that looks well balanced and strong.

Weaknesses: I still feel that Spurs lack a bit of steady goal production and creativity out of the midfield. Eriksen can still come and go in many matches and Kane hasn't had the same goal rate as last year. At times they struggle to score when compared to the other 3 teams in this list.

Prediction:3rd

Arsenal:

Strengths: They have the best playmaker in the world right now, and world class and experienced goal keeper. A good core of talented players that have played together for some time and have benefitted from stability at the club. Alexi Sanchez when healthy is one of the best if not the best player of the last 12 months or so.

Weaknesses: They are thin in defensive midfield with Coq out injured and a serviceable Flamini as the best DM they have on offer. Injuries seem to knock them off their stride as usual although they seem to be coping a bit better now that they are deeper and more experienced. Per Mertesacker is a bit passed it and his lack of pace can still create issues against teams with tricky and pacey forwards. Arsenal also really play with two attacking midfielders in Ramsey and Ozil, as opposed to other teams with two DMs or DM and a box to box midfielder whose main role is defensive. They are susceptible to the counter and on occasion to bizarre defensive lapses while in general they defend pretty well most of the time when they are bad they are woefully bad.

prediction: 1st

Conclusion: United are close in terms of points but they are floundering, Chelsea is near the relegation zone and I don't see anyone other than these 4 being able to push their way in. I think the current top 4 are the best sides and barring a huge run by United or Liverpool or a collapse by one of these 4 I really think the current top 4 will finish in some order as the top 4 at the end of the season. All of them are good sides with some glaring weaknesses the team I think that ameliorates those weakpoints the best will lift the trophy at the end of the season.

socal1976

Back to top Go down