The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

+23
robbo277
KP_fan
ShahenshahG
dyrewolfe
king_carlos
Corporalhumblebucket
VTR
CaledonianCraig
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Hammersmith harrier
LivinginItaly
guildfordbat
alfie
Gooseberry
SimonofSurrey
sirfredperry
msp83
Duty281
kingraf
Mad for Chelsea
LondonTiger
27 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January Empty 2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by LondonTiger Fri 01 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm

South Africa (from):
H Amla (c), Q De Kock (wkt), AB De Villiers (wkt), K Abbott, T Bavuma, JP Duminy, F Du Plessis, D Elgar, M Morkel, C Morris, D Piedt, Rabada, R Rossouw, S Van Zyl, H Viljoen.

England (from):
A Cook (c), A Hales, N Compton, J Root, J Taylor, B Stokes, J Bairstow (wkt), M Ali, C Woakes, S Broad, S Finn, J Anderson, S Patel, C Jordan, M Footitt, J Butler, G Ballance.

Umpires: A Dar (Pak), B Oxenford (Aus)

Third umpire: R Tucker (Aus)

Match referee: R Madugalle (Sri Lanka)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January Empty Re: 2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 01 Jan 2016, 2:06 pm

England's team picks itself. Anderson in for Woakes. All their players are in pretty good form, Hales looked competent but could do with a nice 50 or 60 to show he belongs, no other real worries. Stokes may be short of runs, but with Bairstow and Ali at 7 and 8 you have some insurance policy there.

SA are a bit in disarray. Batting-wise, only De Villiers and Elgar are in any sort of form, with Amla and Du Plessis big worries in the middle-order, and no second opener to speak of. De Kock will come in, and should strengthen both the batting and keeping, but they need one of Amla or Du Plessis to contribute sooner rather than later. Bowling-wise, Morkel was very good from day 2 onwards, but Abbott didn't look particularly threatening, and while Piedt got good turn and at times flighted it nicely, he bowled a few too many bad balls so didn't offer much control, which led to a lot of bowling for the seamers. Rabada will come in, and should do fine, he's a good bowler. Question marks over Abbott's fitness, which could see either Morris or Viljoen come in.

On a side-note, it's interesting to see the focus has very much shifted to a preference for a five man bowling attack in recent years, after a few years of following the Aus blueprint of three seamers and a spinner (later taken up by England in the Swann years). Aus pick Mitch Marsh, England have Stokes, India Ashwin, even WI are picking five genuine bowlers at the moment (albeit not very good ones...). I wonder if higher scoring rates have something to do with it, as the spinner can no longer be relied on to hold up an end for a good chunk of the afternoon on days 1 and 2? Even someone like Nathan Lyon, who offers plenty of control, has an economy rate of 3.15. Maybe a more general debate for another thread?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January Empty Re: 2nd Test, South Africa vs England; Cape Town 2nd-6th January

Post by kingraf Fri 01 Jan 2016, 3:03 pm

I was exceedingly disappointed with the first Test but maybe it was just one of those things. No one in the team actually had a particularly inspired record at Kingsmead and England were unbeaten there in 87 years while we had had at least one score of less than 150 in all but one of our last six games there. Maybe just one of those things like Australia in Lord's.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 01 Jan 2016, 5:41 pm

SA surely cannot play as spinelessly again, while we all know just how inconsistent England tend to be.

Cook almost guaranteed to lose the toss and England's bowlers perhaps set for a long, hot day of toil.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:04 pm

South Africa are in a terrible struggle at the moment - 4 out of the last 5 tests lost; Steyn gone; a batting order largely out of form.

England are in good spirits. An emphatic victory in the last game, still enjoying the triumph that resulted against Australia, and they have Anderson back. With lots of questions, being rightfully asked, posed about their consistency, motivation will be at an extreme high.

Cook is bound to win the toss. England are bound to rack up the runs on a great Cape Town wicket. South Africa are bound to crumble again.

2-0.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:11 pm

Anderson is not a certain call for the 2nd test yet, think hey'll take the call only in the morning. Steyn is confirmed out as expected, and Kagiso Rabada will be playing his first home test. Hope they'll sit Abbott out, if he's not a 100 %, there is absolutely no sense in picking him. To start with, he's not someone with that bit special so that you can play him even if he's at 80 %. If he's not able to go full tilt, then that will add the pressure on Morne Morkel, and the last thing that South Africa would want at this stage is to bowl Morne down to the ground. If they pick Viljoen, he can offer series pace according to reports, and if they pick Morris, he could bring in the possibility of a few lower order runs. As we know South Africa are just not able to put the runs on the board these days.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:15 pm

By the way, who is going to sit out for Quinton de Kock? Is it going to be South African Rohit Sharma, the highly talented but mostly useless JP Duminy? Or will it be young Bavuma? They think Faf du Plessis is untouchable, and they are waiting for Styan van Zyl to show greater depths of being rubbish!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:19 pm

Stiaan will show you this Test Msp. He IS THE HYPE. Can almost guarantee Bavuma is gonna get the chop.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:25 pm

England should beware complacency. Over recent months they have often followed up a resounding win with....a resounding defeat. Having said that, this looks as weak a side as SA have fielded against England since when? 1960 perhaps?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm

It must be the chop for Bavuma. Not just for failing, as did many of his teammates, but for stupidity beyond belief in his second innings dismissal.

But I for one remain very wary about the series. It's not beyond all possibility that S Africa reach the end of Day 1 at 300-3 or 4 and J Anderson has broken down mid-innings a la Steyn. If so, then in one day the whole thing would have turned on its head, with the momentum now with S Africa.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:32 pm

Is Rather unfair on Bavuma if he's pushed out for van Zyl. Bavuma scored more runs in a single test in India than what van Zyl managed in 3 in India? And he showed a remarkable temperament. Can't see a lot of reason preferring van Zyl over Bavuma. Or for that matter Duminy. If we are giving the batting out of position argument for Bavuma not being pushed up the order, then it should be remembered that van Zyl too is not been a regular opener, he's a number 3. And when they went head to head in India, Bavuma emerged a league above van Zyl.
Whoever is picked, it is imperative that they deliver, South Africa need runs beyond AB and Elgar.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:34 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:It must be the chop for Bavuma. Not just for failing, as did many of his teammates, but for stupidity beyond belief in his second innings dismissal.

But I for one remain very wary about the series. It's not beyond all possibility that S Africa reach the end of Day 1 at 300-3 or 4 and J Anderson has broken down mid-innings a la Steyn. If so, then in one day the whole thing would have turned on its head, with the momentum now with S Africa.
Bavuma didn't look great in the 2nd innings of the last test for sure. But vanZyl has made a test career out of leaving straight balls heading for the stumps!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:05 am

England bat first.
2-0
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:09 am

SA side
Abbott Duminy and Steyn out
Rabada Morris and Quinny De Kock in

Morris instead of Viljoen... Jesus wept repeatedly. Never pick a bowler because he can bat a bit.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:13 am

kingraf wrote:England bat first.
2-0

Yes, looks a good toss to win. The one way back into the series for SA was to bat first on a good wicket. Cook, though, was bound to call correctly eventually !

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:17 am

Duty281 wrote:Cook is bound to win the toss.

Finally, you got a prediction right on theses boards Wink

Do me a favour though, no GS prediction for England in the 6Ns please.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:20 am

Well the team batting first doesn't actually win that much but this is a different Newlands because its kak hot and so this means the pitch will crumble
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:21 am

Well the team batting first doesn't actually win that much but this is a different Newlands because its kak hot and so this means the pitch will crumble
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:22 am

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:46 am

Wast the justification for picking Hales that he would help stop the top order getting bogged down?

chin

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:03 am

kingraf wrote:SA side
Abbott Duminy and Steyn out
Rabada Morris and Quinny De Kock in

Morris instead of Viljoen... Jesus wept repeatedly. Never pick a bowler because he can bat a bit.

Haven't seen Viljoen but Morris seems to have started off quite well here...

Some bounce in this pitch. Finn might enjoy that later.

SA do look stronger in batting in this match...despite the makeshift opener . If Amla were to get back into some form it would make a huge difference , of course.
The bowling really does lack experience though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:14 am

Looks like it's going to be a long fielding day
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:38 am

Good first hour for England. Looks a good toss to win...bounce & carry for the pace bowlers but good for shots too ; and the SA bowlers have bowled a few too many loose balls - which the England openers have picked off pretty well.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:40 am

Fifty opening stand - a rare event for England in recent times !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:48 am

It amuses me to hear commentators banging on about the number of balls that wouldn't hit the stumps...Holding just getting the Hawkeye map to show only two of Morkel's deliveries were on target to hit : I note they were also the two deliveries that went for boundaries Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:49 am

Hey look a wicket.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:50 am

Ian Botham and Michael Holding don't do a half good job of making you question how tactically aware cricketers really were
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:50 am

Comfortable first hour for England after Duty won us the toss Wink . More of the same up to lunch and we'll be in a very decent position.

Riding on the back of MfC's side-note, a 4 man attack - or, more particularly, this 4 man attack doesn't look enough for South Africa. I feel they're going to need help from some of our batsmen to get the oh so vital 20 wickets. The bowlers may have ability and perseverance but, Morkel aside, they haven't got much experience at all and so are likely to lack the oh so vital nous. I wasn't as impressed by Morris as Alfie, thought he was too wide of the stumps too often and not threatening enough.

Cook and Hales both onto 27 now and doing a good job. If the latter can at least double his, Gooseberry will need to direct his sarcasm elsewhere.

B*GG*R - just before pressing 'Send', Cook's out to the highly inexperienced inexperienced Rabada! picard Laugh Keep on learning!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:52 am

Out of the blue ...Cook , who hadn't put a foot wrong , falls to an absolutely brilliant catch by Morris Shocked

Relief for SA .

This surface might test Compton more than Durban...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:58 am

Morning , guildford.

Won't blame you for the wicket Smile

On Morris : I wasn't that impressed by him - I thought his first couple of overs were his best , and it was then that I posted . As you say , he was a bit wide , and rather lost his length as his spell progressed. Full credit for his slip catching , though !

Cook will be annoyed at getting out then : there is a big score out there for somebody ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:00 am

Yes, that was an extremely fine catch by Morris. Catching - or rather dropping - was a significant SA weakness in the last Test. Not in the one instance so far today anyway.

Pre the start of this Test, Atherton (I like him - talks a lot of sense and knows his stuff) was saying how a team in transition can suffer from the break up of players in established slip fielding positions and cited the retirements of Smith and Kallis. Thought that was a good and often overlooked point.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:05 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Cook is bound to win the toss.

Finally, you got a prediction right on theses boards Wink

Do me a favour though, no GS prediction for England in the 6Ns please.

I'm normally bang on with regards to the England cricket team!

Anyway, the law of averages and all that. And I'm sure Root and Taylor will be relishing the prospect of batting on this wicket.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:07 am

Indeed it is - one of the problems England suffered from as the Flower team broke up was the loss of most of the cordon ... Strauss , Collingwood , Swann...
Fortunately Root and Stokes look happy there now , as Bell never really did.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:09 am

To be fair Amla lost every single toss in India. While Cook did the same in UAE. Guess it was an immovable force vs an irresistible object and they've split it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:10 am

A big opportunity for Compton to silence many of his critics here with a big innings on a good batting surface. Hopefully he will be able to strike the right balance between playing at his own pace and not getting bogged down. Although maybe even a run a ball 200 would not satisfy some people.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

Run rate slipped since the wicket. Compton is never going to come out smoking Smile

Over rate already pretty dire so we will be in for overtime on this hot day...think Piedt may be in for a bit of work.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:35 am

Quiet end to the session. 76/1 so England will be happy enough.

Piedt has settled into a rhythm so Compton in particular will need to look for some singles after lunch...don't want to get bogged down.
Hales has played much better ; nice balance between leaves and forceful strokes. Hope he can go on with it today.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:35 am

England 76/1 at lunch. Both sides would probably have taken that at the start. England maybe slightly ahead but a quick wicket would change that. SA pegged it back well in the second hour.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:37 am

Another 424 to get then. Decent start for England, though Cook will be greatly disappointed.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:39 am

Jeez it looks a good wicket. Conditions also completely opposed to even a bit of swing. 76-1 makes it England's session but again not the worst bowling and pressure looks to be the way to get wickets here because it's FLAT
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:04 am

alfie wrote:Indeed it is - one of the problems England suffered from as the Flower team broke up was the loss of most of the cordon ... Strauss , Collingwood , Swann...
Fortunately Root and Stokes look happy there now , as Bell never really did.

I never understand moving Bell from close in to the slips, he was a fine reaction fielder but give him any sort of time and his hands are like a bar of soap.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:18 am

Solid start
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:26 am

Streaky shot to get there ; but Hales has a much needed fifty clap

Good , positive start after lunch from the England pair. Hope Compton doesn't overdo it against Piedt ...A straight six Shocked

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

I've seen enough of Hales now to know he is not a test opener, prone to dreadful lapses in concentration and seems to lack the technique to go too far.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:31 am

Hales not exactly so far cementing his place for all time but applying enough glue to give him the series. Well done to hhim.

Meanwhile, I reckon that's 17 off 14 balls for Compton since lunch!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:31 am

Hes doing a decent impression of one at the moment somehow.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:32 am

First opening batsman not named Cook to pass 50 for England since Lyth.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:33 am

You wonder if they were told to get a move on at lunch. You'd really wonder why, but both have come out swinging since lunch.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:35 am

In all fairness to Compton, we questioned whether he could go through the gears if the situation demanded it, certainly doing that atm.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:50 am

GSC wrote:In all fairness to Compton, we questioned whether he could go through the gears if the situation demanded it, certainly doing that atm.

Indeed he is. He actually played some lovely forceful shots in Durban ... Just that they tended to be separated by vast rows of dots. Not that I am complaining ; that was appropriate for the situation. Good to see though that he can adapt to different conditions and step up.
Doubt he will become a dasher - and they don't need him to do so. He just played a couple of aggressive shots off Piedt , and in doing so shifted the field around. Run rate at four since lunch so moving along nicely...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next