The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amla steps down as captain

5 posters

Go down

Amla steps down as captain  Empty Amla steps down as captain

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Jan 2016, 6:35 am

There was a definite leadership issue and I remarked upon it often.
I also feel there was an implicit resistance / un-acceptance of him as a captain by his colleague....especially de Villiers.

It's heartening to see he steps down without causing too much damage to his countries test match standings.
De Villiers will replace it appears.....not a good choice....also as I remarked earlier ....too frivolous,  lacking the intense strategizing skills that test cricket needs.
faf or steyn would have been better choices .....especially....the latter in my view.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Amla steps down as captain  Empty Re: Amla steps down as captain

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:15 am

AB is already the 1-day skipper, isn't he? If so, I would imagine this is only a stop-gap measure until they find someone who wants to take over for the long term.

You sort of read my mind in that I was going to suggest one of the senior bowlers - like Steyn - might be a better choice. After all, most of the strategy / tactics comes when you're fielding and you would think a bowler would have a naturally better feel for that side of the game.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:19 am

Didn't AB used to be the Test skipper, but he then stood down as his workload was too much? Like dyrewolfe I imagine this is very much a stop gap measure, the reports were suggesting he was only made captain for the last two Tests of the series... Steyn? Hmm, not sure given some of his fitness issues, and his workload (doesn't he play all three formats still?), plus he's not getting any younger.

Du Plessis is probably the one they're looking at long term, but they really need him to step up and score runs first. The only other two players who'd be at this moment guaranteed their spots would be Elgar and Morkel. Could either of them do it?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Jan 2016, 1:01 pm

I've already made my feelings about Amla's ability as a captain clear. think he was right in saying its been more of a man management issue than a tactical one.

don't think AB is a good captain at all but he does seem to grow when responsibility is placed on his shoulders.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 07 Jan 2016, 2:34 pm

kingraf wrote:I've already made my feelings about Amla's ability as a captain clear. think he was right in saying its been more of a man management issue than a tactical one.

don't think AB is a good captain at all but he does seem to grow when responsibility is placed on his shoulders.

I would say it is a very odd decision to hand the captaincy to de Villiers. Only a week or so ago he was looking to lessen his workload so taking on the captaincy hardly allows him to do that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down