The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January

+11
wales606
sad_gimp
VinceWLB
Cardiff Dave
Coleman
ChequeredJersey
mikey_dragon
BamBam
Blueschief
yappysnap
George Carlin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January Empty Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Jan 2016, 7:50 am

Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January Harleq11      Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January Blues13
Harlequins v Cardiff Blues
Sunday 17 January 2016
KO 15:15
The Stoop, Twickenham

Live on Sky Sports

Referee Andrew Brace (Ireland)
Touch Judge 1 Mark Patton (Ireland)
Touch Judge 2 Jonathan Peak (Ireland)
Fourth Official Jude Quinn (Ireland)
TMO Jude Quinn (Ireland)
Assessor Martin Fox (England)
Citing Commissioner Yann Le Dore (France)

A. Head to Head

1 Played 1
1 Wins 0
0 Losses 1
0 Draws 0
32 Points 20

B. Tournament Form

Harlequins
19/12/15: Quins 59 - 7 Calvisano
12/12/15: Calvisano 10 - 50 Quins
19/11/15: Blues 20 - 32 Quins

Cardiff Blues

17/12/15: Montpellier 23 - 22 Blues
11/12/15: Blues 37 - 27 Montpellier
19/11/15: Blues 20 - 32 Quins

C. Teams

Harlequins
Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January Enidbl10
15 Mike Brown
14 Marland Yarde
13 George Lowe
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Ross Chisholm
10 Nick Evans
9 Danny Care (capt)

1 Joe Marler
2 Rob Buchanan
3 Will Collier
4 George Merrick
5 Charlie Matthews
6 Chris Robshaw
7 Jack Clifford
8 Nick Easter

16 Dave Ward
17 Mark Lambert
18 Kyle Sinckler
19 Mat Luamanu
20 Luke Wallace
21 Karl Dickson
22 Ben Botica
23 Charlie Walker

Cardiff Blues
Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January Roald-11
15 Dan Fish
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Cory Allen
12 Rey Lee-Lo
11 Tom James
10 Rhys Patchell
9 Lloyd Williams (capt)

1 Sam Hobbs
2 Kristian Dacey
3 Tau Filise
4 Macauley Cook
5 James Down
6 Josh Turnbull
7 Josh Navidi
8 Manoa Vosawai

16 Ethan Lewis
17 Tom Davies
18 Dillon Lewis
19 Jarrad Hoeata
20 Ellis Jenkins
21 Tavis Knoyle
22 Gareth Anscombe
23 Gavin Evans

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January Empty Re: Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Jan 2016, 9:02 am

Cheers George! Quality service as ever sir

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January Empty Re: Challenge Cup Round 3: Harlequins v Cardiff Blues, 17 January

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Jan 2016, 9:08 am

I can see a big emotional come down for Harlequins after that victory last weekend. It was almost like a play off game, victory was that important to the players.

I think also there'll be a bit of rotation too but still a strong team put out. I think a win on Saturday guarantees us going through with a home play off.

My team injuries permitting:
Lambert
Ward
Collier
Mathews
Twomey
Clifford
Wallace
Easter
Dickson
Botica
Chisholm
Sloan
Lowe
Walker
OLH

Very changed team, but at home should do a job.

Last edited by yappysnap on Wed 13 Jan 2016, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Jan 2016, 12:19 pm

I am interested in understanding how O'Shea rotates his players Yappy.

Is it obvious what the policy is? It's clearly done well given the results of the team and given how badly Glagow are tanking this year in resting players, I am interested to know how other successful teams are doing it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Wed 13 Jan 2016, 1:18 pm

Should be a good game, can't see Cardiff winning this one sadly, Quins should have too much for us.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Jan 2016, 2:31 pm

George Carlin wrote:I am interested in understanding how O'Shea rotates his players Yappy.

Is it obvious what the policy is? It's clearly done well given the results of the team and given how badly Glagow are tanking this year in resting players, I am interested to know how other successful teams are doing it.

Up until this season i'd actually say that rotations been one of our weakest aspects. O'Shea has chosen/had to almost over play some players such as Easter and Evans as we've had no real cover. We have always had a strong academy though and that has meant we can replace injuries fairly easily, even if the quality of the academy player isn't as great as the incumbent, they've been around the team for months or years so can slot in easily. That's far more important then have another big name who doesn't have any understanding of the systems, and no bond with the other players.

This season rotation is much better, the backrow is almost changing per game, with Clifford, Robshaw, Easter, Wallace and Loamanu all getting games (injuries permitting) and slotting in and out well. Front row and back three as well are rotating well. Again the key part is a few quality signings, who'll usually start, but then academy boys pushing them all the way. What those academy players lack in quality they make up for in belief and understanding of the game plan as they've played it from about the age of 16. That builds continuity.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 13 Jan 2016, 2:33 pm

Is that Sinckler at loosehead Yappy? Does he play much there?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:28 pm

If you're counting all games previously played in Europe (which you usually do) then it isn't one nil to Quins. Before this season's game I think they had played each other four times with the blues winning either three of four, but don't quote me on that one.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Jan 2016, 6:32 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:If you're counting all games previously played in Europe (which you usually do) then it isn't one nil to Quins. Before this season's game I think they had played each other four times with the blues winning either three of four, but don't quote me on that one.

I think you're correct there Mikey, think it was 2/3 seasons ago, obviously I didn't want to mention it...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Jan 2016, 6:33 pm

BamBam wrote:Is that Sinckler at loosehead Yappy? Does he play much there?

My mistake, Lambert at Loosehead, Synckler can play both but he'll be at tighthead or rotated.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:55 am

yappysnap wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I am interested in understanding how O'Shea rotates his players Yappy.

Up until this season i'd actually say that rotations been one of our weakest aspects. O'Shea has chosen/had to almost over play some players such as Easter and Evans as we've had no real cover. We have always had a strong academy though and that has meant we can replace injuries fairly easily, even if the quality of the academy player isn't as great as the incumbent, they've been around the team for months or years so can slot in easily. That's far more important then have another big name who doesn't have any understanding of the systems, and no bond with the other players.

This season rotation is much better, the backrow is almost changing per game, with Clifford, Robshaw, Easter, Wallace and Loamanu all getting games (injuries permitting) and slotting in and out well. Front row and back three as well are rotating well. Again the key part is a few quality signings, who'll usually start, but then academy boys pushing them all the way. What those academy players lack in quality they make up for in belief and understanding of the game plan as they've played it from about the age of 16. That builds continuity.
Thanks for that. Having an academy that is club specific is definitely a huge advantage, although we now have 4 Scottish Rugby Academies in place that were not there before.

I missed the whole Visser injury thing. What happened?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 14 Jan 2016, 8:49 am

He's done his hamstring, hurt it early in the game against Gloucester and will probably be out for 8 weeks, so until late Feb. It's annoying as he was in out standing form up to that point and was looking on fire for Quins.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 14 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm

yappysnap wrote:I can see a big emotional come down for Harlequins after that victory last weekend. It was almost like a play off game, victory was that important to the players.

I think also there'll be a bit of rotation too but still a strong team put out. I think a win on Saturday guarantees us going through with a home play off.

My team injuries permitting:
Lambert
Ward
Collier
Mathews
Twomey
Clifford
Wallace
Easter
Dickson
Botica
Chisholm
Sloan
Lowe
Walker
OLH

Very changed team, but at home should do a job.

I'm hoping Luamanu is back and either off bench or in the starting back row. Swiel at 15. Otherwise looks right Smile maybe Stanley or hopper for Lowe- don't want to push him so soon after 2 horrible seasons. I really hope Twomey is back
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:37 pm

Yea Lowe will likely be rested, especially after the illegal tackle on his neck last week. Hopper was apparently pretty poor in his last outing for the A team, not sure if Stanley is a 13?

I too have my fingers crossed for Luamanus return.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:40 pm

yappysnap wrote:Yea Lowe will likely be rested, especially after the illegal tackle on his neck last week. Hopper was apparently pretty poor in his last outing for the A team, not sure if Stanley is a 13?

I too have my fingers crossed for Luamanus return.

Marchant?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 15 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

There are three changes to the starting squad that beat Saracens last week. 

In front of an unchanged backline, Will Collier returns to the starting line-up, with George Merrick selected in the second-row.

Jack Clifford, who was named in the England squad with Joe Marler, Chris Robshaw, Danny Care, Marland Yarde and Mike Brown this week, starts at openside as Nick Easter returns to Number 8. 

Among the replacements, Mat Luamanu will look to make his first European appearance for the Club having recovered from an injury sustained in October.

Harlequins Squad
15. Mike Brown
14. Marland Yarde
13. George Lowe
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Ross Chisholm
10. Nick Evans
9. Danny Care©

1. Joe Marler
2. Rob Buchanan
3. Will Collier
4. George Merrick
5. Charlie Matthews
6. Chris Robshaw
7. Jack Clifford
8. Nick Easter

16. Dave Ward
17. Mark Lambert
18. Kyle Sinckler
19. Mat Luamanu
20. Luke Wallace
21. Karl Dickson
22. Ben Botica
23. Charlie Walker

No Twomey yet, but Luamanu on the bench. Stronger than I expected, good to know Evans is fit but I'd have preferred to have rested him.

Nearly full strength- no excuses if we lose this. I hope we rest players against Montpelier if we win in Cardiff. Rotation has always been a weakness and I thought we were starting to get it this year
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm

Great looking team, far stronger then I expected. Good to see Loamanu on the bench too. Hopefully he hasn't had too many pies while off injured.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 15 Jan 2016, 12:50 pm

Not the best team for Blues either. Cooke isn't a lock.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 15 Jan 2016, 4:04 pm

1. Hobbs
2. Dacey
3. Filese
4. Cook
5. Down
6. Turnbull
7. Navidi
8. Vosawai
9. Williams (c)
10. Patchell
11. James
12. Lee-Lo
13. Allen
14. Cuthbert
15. Fish

16. E. Lewis
17. T. Davies
18. D. Lewis
19. Hoeata
20. E. Jenkins
21. Knoyle
22. Anscombe
23. G. Evans

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Jan 2016, 5:38 pm

Come on Calvisano.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Jan 2016, 5:44 pm

Cardiff Blues: Dan Fish, Tom James, Cory Allen, Ray Lee-Lo, Alex Cuthbert, Tom James; Tom Patchell, Lloyd Williams; Sam Hobbs, Kristian Dacey, Taufa'ao Filise, Macauley Cook, James Down, Josh Turnbull, Manoa Vosawai, Josh Navidi.

Replacements: Ethan Lewis, Tom Davies, Dillon Lewis, Jarrard Hoeata, Ellis Jenkins, Tavis Knoyle, Gareth Anscombe, Gavin Evans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35294659

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 15 Jan 2016, 5:51 pm

Tom James, so good we picked him twice! Excited to see Tom Patchell, wonder if he's as good as Rhys. Kind of Quins to let us start 16 players.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm

Coleman wrote:Tom James, so good we picked him twice! Excited to see Tom Patchell, wonder if he's as good as Rhys. Kind of Quins to let us start 16 players.

Two Dads maybe?
Been like it all day on the Beeb.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 15 Jan 2016, 7:09 pm

Typical Beeb, they are dreadful.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Jan 2016, 7:17 pm

So a strong Blues team?

From a Quins perspective we've chosen a very strong team, definitely looking for the tbp win and guaranteed home play off slot.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Jan 2016, 7:21 pm

Coleman wrote:Typical Beeb, they are dreadful.

Kerching, for friends, relatives and millionaire aquaintances though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm

yappysnap wrote:So a strong Blues team?

Who?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Jan 2016, 7:28 pm

Not Cardiff Blues???

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm

yappysnap wrote:Not Cardiff Blues???

Best say just Cardiff I reckon. Everyone knows who's who then. No it aint a strong side really. It will be stronger next season though. And the season after it will be better again probably. Wibble.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Jan 2016, 8:06 pm

Fair enough. I can understand the whole rebuilding thing, we've just been through a mini one ourselves.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 16 Jan 2016, 6:56 pm

yappysnap wrote:Fair enough. I can understand the whole rebuilding thing, we've just been through a mini one ourselves.

Gotta new coaching team and there's gonna be a big clearout of players at the end of the season by the sound of it, after many years of nonsense. Other stuff happening too I understand and it's been suggested elsewhere that the chairman found his misplaced mojo. Next season will be different. The season after, different again I reckon.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 16 Jan 2016, 7:27 pm

Lets hope so aye Dave. The spine of a decent team is there. Just need more ribs and such.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 16 Jan 2016, 7:53 pm

Coleman wrote:Lets hope so aye Dave. The spine of a decent team is there. Just need more ribs and such.

Aye. Must thank Dodger too I spose; for sodding off.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 17 Jan 2016, 3:27 pm

Game has become soft

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 17 Jan 2016, 3:33 pm

One sided refereeing in that one

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 17 Jan 2016, 3:42 pm

Blues getting stuffed up front as expected. Their defence has been made to look amateur too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 17 Jan 2016, 3:46 pm

Cuthbert gets the ball near their tryline, knocks on, and Quins run it back to the blues half... Some things never change.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:02 pm

Great fourth try by Quins.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:19 pm

Looks like beating Sarries gave us confidence rather than complacence
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:21 pm

Should it have been penalty try to the Blues? No attempt from Roberts to catch the ball..

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:32 pm

Some good stuff from Cardiff here

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:33 pm

Vosawai making some hard yards allowing Blues a platform for their impressive backline.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:35 pm

Well done Cardiff, this game is not over yet
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

Crikey, wouldn't want to get in the way of Sinckler when he's hitting the line at that pace! Man possessed at the moment....

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:55 pm

Blues fumble the lineout and it opens up for Brynmoore 2. Come on Blues, get the fourth try.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 17 Jan 2016, 4:59 pm

Woooooooooooh! What a rocket of a pass!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 17 Jan 2016, 5:01 pm

Yeezus Fish, one minute he's poor, the next amazing. Patchell is playing well. Blues could make the last 8.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 17 Jan 2016, 5:02 pm

Anscombe and Patchell on the pitch and the passes are zipping along the backline,

Some lovely play by the Blues

We are becoming the comeback kings.

3 in a row???

This would be the biggest...just
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Sun 17 Jan 2016, 5:05 pm

I'm going to put this second half down to us securing the points we need in the first half :S

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 17 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm

wales606 wrote:Anscombe and Patchell on the pitch and the passes are zipping along the backline,

Some lovely play by the Blues

We are becoming the comeback kings.

3 in a row???

This would be the biggest...just

I wish we'd just stop being awful in the first 20/30 mins of a game. We gifted so much to Quins there.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next