The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+35
socal1976
Nay
Holymiky
Nico the gman
dyrewolfe
Alistair
Atila
nathan
Jermaine2015
compelling and rich
Stella
Breadvan
Lowlandbrit
1GrumpyGolfer
TopoftheChops
JDizzle
Duty281
sirfredperry
hampo17
guildfordbat
Mat
kingraf
Crimey
GSC
lfc91
Dolphin Ziggler
Corporalhumblebucket
westisbest
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
NickisBHAFC
Hero
Fernando
Ent
Good Golly I'm Olly
39 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 17 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 21:23

First topic message reminder :

Olly wrote:Would very much appreciate it if Utd stopped being poo thanks

Ta
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 17 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 18:12

Can't see how you have city ahead of Leicester duty personally

Spurs/arsenal as they are in the table, equal favorites for me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 17 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 18:15

Because Leicester are going to collapse like the England middle-order. It is sadly inevitable.

It's good they have a 12 point advantage over United, otherwise they might be in a desperate scrabble for fourth.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 18:28

Well done to Spurs...very disappointing defeat again..

Penalty was poor but it's the result that counts and we aren't good enough..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 19:31

Not too surprised to see City struggling recently. Very overrated "big" club.

Would prefer Spurs over Leicester to win title.

Last edited by Atila on Mon 15 Feb 2016 - 4:08; edited 2 times in total

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 19:47

It would be more inevitable for Arsenal to crumble like they have done many times, teams like Leicester and Tottenham won't as there is no expectation.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 19:52

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It would be more inevitable for Arsenal to crumble like they have done many times, teams like Leicester and Tottenham won't as there is no expectation.

Though today would suggest otherwise.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 20:24

Cant believe (although I predicted it on Predictor) that Spurs won. They're gonna win the ruddy title. Makes the decision to move to Australia much easier.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 20:38

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Villa's only bonus is no one is gonna buy those players! Players that were once Premier League worthy.

Olly wrote:
Not sure how it's a positive that they're not gonna be able to get rid of some of these players

NickisBHAFC wrote:That's not a good thing, villa are gonna have to have a complete re shuffle.

Get rid of the rubbish ones and the expensive wages one. Bed some youngsters in and get some proven championship players in.

Its because I genuinely think a lot of them will be very good Championship players. And whilst the quality of player in the squad is up and down, I think they have been mismanaged by owner and manager so bad (from Lambert's fear approach to Sherwood not knowing how to coach at all - and I want to reiterate that I think he is the worst coach English football has had in any league this season) that there has been nothing to give any stability, confidence or guidance to the players. Much of football is a mental game, and there has been nothing but detriment in that department for Villa for a while.

Guzan could easily find his form again and be the best keeper in that league, whilst Bunn is certainly good enough to play in the Champ.

I'd expect Lescott to go and Cissokho too, up in the air whether Richards feels some loyalty as captain. After that I think you'd take Clark, Okore, Amavi, Bacuna in any championship side. Richardson can definitely cut it at that level too.

Gestede will score in the Champ, that is known. Gabby is probably that level nowadays, whilst Kozak staying would probably mean a dangerous striker there too. Ayew probably leaves.

The midfield is the issue. I would think Gil, Gueye, Veretout, Sinclair, Grealish and Traore all go. Westwood screams out someone like Norwich if they stay up, but otherwise could stay. You wouldn't want the Zog whether hes good enough or not cos his attitude stinks.

However, they will have a decent gate still, parachute payments and a bit more name value than others. I'd be happy to back them to get promoted as long as the manager was not an awful, awful choice.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 22:26

I think Sherwood wasnt as bad as you make out dolph.
Stayed up under him.

Bunn was pretty poor today, but think he could be a good keeper in the championship.

Im sorry, but Richardson is not even championship standard, league 1 at best.
Deadwood, needs to go.
Think Kozak will go,,along with Gueye, Veretout,,Gil.
Young Jack will stay i think.

If we get the right manager, ne shocked if Garde is still in charge in august, dont think he has the mentality to take us back up.

As you say, right manager, get rid of quite alot of the squad, bring some of the young lads in at pre season, and sign the right players for the championship, we could be up near the top.

I doubt all these 9 will stay, but if we can keep.
Bunn, Richards, Okore, Amavi, Grealish, Gil, Traore, Gestede, Ayew.

Make some good signings and the right manager, who knows.

But, things need to go the right way in the summer.

Interesting to see if what happens come summer time.

Could do with some experience in the squad to.
Would'nt hurt.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 22:30

As usual in the two biggest matches of the day the officiating was absolutely shambolic. Wow, is all I have to say. Missed red card a vicious challenge on Ramsey. Ozil gets obviously fouled to give Leicester the ball in the lead up to the what turns out to be a dodgy 50/50 penalty call on Monreal. Kante obviously, handled the ball in a textbook penalty call in the first half that doesn't get called. And to be fair to Leiscester two standard fouls are given cards back to back to go down to ten men.

And in the City game what a ridiculous penalty on Sterling. I mean these are the two signature matches, presumably garnering two of the best officiating crews. If these are the two best crews in the league we got problems.

Spurs get lucky, but on the road for much of the match they were better. They have a huge goal differential edge to go second. And they hold a game at home in hand against the Gunners in 3 weeks time. Great goal by Danny, what a match despite the officiating really great football match. Ozil delivery was special. Theo came in to spark us with his goal.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 22:39

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Villa's only bonus is no one is gonna buy those players! Players that were once Premier League worthy.

Olly wrote:
Not sure how it's a positive that they're not gonna be able to get rid of some of these players

NickisBHAFC wrote:That's not a good thing, villa are gonna have to have a complete re shuffle.

Get rid of the rubbish ones and the expensive wages one. Bed some youngsters in and get some proven championship players in.

Its because I genuinely think a lot of them will be very good Championship players. And whilst the quality of player in the squad is up and down, I think they have been mismanaged by owner and manager so bad (from Lambert's fear approach to Sherwood not knowing how to coach at all - and I want to reiterate that I think he is the worst coach English football has had in any league this season) that there has been nothing to give any stability, confidence or guidance to the players. Much of football is a mental game, and there has been nothing but detriment in that department for Villa for a while.

Guzan could easily find his form again and be the best keeper in that league, whilst Bunn is certainly good enough to play in the Champ.

I'd expect Lescott to go and Cissokho too, up in the air whether Richards feels some loyalty as captain. After that I think you'd take Clark, Okore, Amavi, Bacuna in any championship side. Richardson can definitely cut it at that level too.

Gestede will score in the Champ, that is known. Gabby is probably that level nowadays, whilst Kozak staying would probably mean a dangerous striker there too. Ayew probably leaves.

The midfield is the issue. I would think Gil, Gueye, Veretout, Sinclair, Grealish and Traore all go. Westwood screams out someone like Norwich if they stay up, but otherwise could stay. You wouldn't want the Zog whether hes good enough or not cos his attitude stinks.

However, they will have a decent gate still, parachute payments and a bit more name value than others. I'd be happy to back them to get promoted as long as the manager was not an awful, awful choice.

There's not a lot of championship experience in there and I think that plays a huge part in that division especially. Guys like Bacuna, Amavi, Okore, Gil etc (if they do stay) will they be up for the Saturday/Tuesday grind? I'm not so sure. Think they'll need to bring in a few experienced guys from that division, or at least a manager with experience of getting out the division.

And it's not often you'll see a side bounce straight back either. Lot of teams at the top of the championship I'd back over villa (depending on who goes up/not etc)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 22:40

Spurs now favourite in my book. Suits them nicely to be tucked in behind Leicester for as long as possible though - with the spotlight off. Have a reasonable run in. Main danger is if Kane gets injured at some point.

City could still win it but these two defeats will hurt. Arsenal have 5 tough away matches left and I can't see them doing it. Leicester have a great run of matches now - but will they be able to break down defences who aren't pushing up on them?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 22:41

For Leicester, for the first time they really became the favorites after winning at City. As Liverpool, chasing freely, and leading under pressure are two different things. They visibly lost their heads and composure under some intense pressure.

Even against 10 men, this was a significant gut check for Arsenal. Too many times you'd have seen them batter the door, but fail to knock it down. Now they have to finish. Seen them fail to do that before as well.

Spurs, still the darkhorses. Much like Leicester before last week it doesn't quite seem real yet. The derby looks fun.

Man City. Too many times under Pellegrini, they are lightweight when it matters. 2 biggest home games of the season, 0 points. Say what you want about Pep Guardiola but he knows how to win big football matches. Pellegrini too often is the nearly man in that regard.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 22:44

Randy Lerner might want to give up this owner lark.

For Villa, they'll concede a hatful in the Championship if they defend like this next year.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 22:45

Cant imagine Gardes gonna stick it out much longer
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:05

Just ran everything through an imprecise calculator - my head - and came out with the following for the final standings:

Arsenal - 81
Tottenham - 77
Man City - 75
Leicester - 72

Yep, Duty knows all.

Duty281 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Think City will only make 3rd. Arsenal for the league.

Arsenal have got the league in the same way I thought that England would win the Ashes, or Jason Day would win the PGA Championship.

It's in the bag. #comeonarsenal

Last edited by Duty281 on Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:15; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:07

I don't think there's many good sides in the champ. Brighton are not full of quality, Boro will get rinsed when they get promoted, Hull arent premier league standard and weren't when they were up.

Get some ego out and some belief in and there's a chance Villa walk that league. The players they'll lose will be the big wage ones too, can imagine they'll nab some decent players in the summer (for that level). I'll be predicting them to get promoted as long as Newcastle don't go down with them (otherwise they'll hoover up the best players)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:09

Also, Sherwood is an old school manager. All mouth no action. Great when you just need some positive phrases and passion, but he can't coach. I don't think he'll have made any players better on the training ground, and I think that shows in what Villa are now. He got nothing right over summer, his first shot at it and failed.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:22

The championship is atough league to get out of, although there are some poor teams in that league.

Again, get the right manager in, sign the right players, get rid of the right players, we may do ok.

Will be very tough.
As i said, we could do with some experience, maybe a Hoolahan type player.

How good isMcCormack?
Looks ok from small bit i have seen from him.

Marshall in goal, for me is probably the best keeper in the championship, would be a good signing.

Get Gardner back from Forest.

Just a couple of names.

Then give guys like Jordon Lyden, Niall Mason a run out pre season, Lyden has made a couple of sub apperances, Mason on the bench.

Janoi Donacien is a defender, who has been around the first team, but not quite made it yet.
Another member of the nextgen winning side. Been out on loan this season.

Also Jerell Sellars, forward, heard good things about him.

Just some youngsters who i hope will see a few given a go.

As much as it saddens me to see us drop down, it will be interesting to see how we get on in a new league.

I just hope we dont do a Leeds/Forest and stay down there for years.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:31

You defend like Villa did today and you will concede plenty in a lower division.

Its a blow it up and start over situation. Realistically id listen to offers for everyone.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:33

Sad reality is there's nothing in this Villa side worth building around.

Think they're closer to a Wolves or Wigan than a Norwich or QPR. And they aren't a Newcastle or West Ham
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 14 Feb 2016 - 23:45

True about the defending GSC, but then again we wont be playing the quality of teams in the prem.

Also am sure the defence will be a little different.

Need to start by getting the right manager in, having a big sort out, dont think the future is all doom and gloom.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 15 Feb 2016 - 1:52

Born Slippy wrote:Spurs now favourite in my book. Suits them nicely to be tucked in behind Leicester for as long as possible though - with the spotlight off. Have a reasonable run in. Main danger is if Kane gets injured at some point.

City could still win it but these two defeats will hurt. Arsenal have 5 tough away matches left and I can't see them doing it. Leicester have a great run of matches now - but will they be able to break down defences who aren't pushing up on them?

Yeah spurs have the inside track. Arsenal just played really poorly in the last few weeks. Did great in today's match. But Spurs are the stingiest team defensively in the league while Arsenal have a tough run of matches to come, so Spurs are sitting pretty.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 15 Feb 2016 - 10:03

westisbest wrote:True about the defending GSC, but then again we wont be playing the quality of teams in the prem.

Also am sure the defence will be a little different.

Need to start by getting the right manager in, having a big sort out, dont think the future is all doom and gloom.

For me Villa aren't just a clear the deadwood, play some youngsters and buy some championship saavy players.

Villa are all deadwood, from the boardroom down to the first team. They need the entire club cleared down and rebuilt from scratch. That cant be done in one season. If I were a Villa fan, Id hope the club recognises this rather than making more desperation moves for a quick return.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 15 Feb 2016 - 11:02

Every villa fan (i would hope) recognises that the problems are not just on the pitch.

First up need to appoint the right manager for a championship battle, maybe a Pearson type as an example.

That person needs to be given assurances thst there will be money to spend and not bs them, like they did with Garde.

No wonder the guy is pist off.

We shall see what happens come the summer.

With the board we have i wont hold my breathe, but am hoping they can see their mistakes.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Feb 2016 - 15:40

Villa's hierarchy have made awful decisions for what like 3/4 years now? Why would this suddenly stop when (as far as I'm aware) it's the same dudes in charge?

I just can't see them sorting themselves out enough to go up automatic - playoffs should be the aim imo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 15 Feb 2016 - 16:17

We cant really say much untill the start of september, when the window has closed.

See who has gone, who we have signed.

I dont expect the squad to be a whole lot different.
If we keep the some of the 9 i mentioned and sign the 'right' players whoever they maybe, then i would be looking to challenge.

If we sign more rubbish, maybe mid table bottom half.

To soon to say, christ its only febuary.

Playing in the championship should give the board a huge wake up call and see how much they have messed up.

We are a big club and this will be the first time we have dropped out of the top flight for alomost 30 years.
The above is why they need to sort things out asap.

Im not saying we are to big to play championship football, god knows we are to bad to be playing premiership football.

Like i said we will see where we are come august.
Still got the remainder of this season to concern ourselves with.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 18 Feb 2016 - 9:01

Liverpool Echo reporting that Brendan Rodgers is favourite for Newcastle job should McClaren get the sack.

It'd be interesting if he takes it, seeing as he supposedly turned down Swansea. Perhaps he sees Newcastle as having more potential. I think for next year Rodgers would be a good choice, to save them from relegation? No.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Feb 2016 - 10:51

I just don't see us removing McClaren now, it's too late. A decision would of needed to of been made, before they went out for winter weather training. Rodgers or whoever would of had a three week slot after the Chelsea game to sort the situation out. We don't even have a game until the 2nd of March. Unless it was a huge bonus to avoid relegation, don't think anyone would want to touch this job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 18 Feb 2016 - 11:45

Ilkay Gundongan has told Dortmund he won't be signing a new contract, so he'll be leaving this summer most likely, as it runs out next year.

Liverpool will definitely be rumoured with the Klopp connection, but I can imagine most teams across Europe eyeing up a deal for him. Manchester City will probably be favourites, but wouldn't be surprised to see Real Madrid, Arsenal and Chelsea make moves as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 Feb 2016 - 15:32

Adam Johnson not putting up the greatest defence in court so far...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 Feb 2016 - 15:36

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10177430/remi-garde-watches-aston-villa-lose-to-clubs-u21-team

Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 22 Feb 2016 - 16:15

your obsession with us is getting to much.

Sure your not a closet villan.

In fairness thses players gave up a long time ago, so am sure they were not botherd about this game.

Also we do have a good u21 side.

maybe they should play the remainder of the season.
He should play a few of them to be honest.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 Feb 2016 - 16:48

Was gonna be my follow up point West - surely this is a sign he should give them a go see what they've got
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Feb 2016 - 13:26

Antonio Conte heavily rumoured to have agreed to become Chelsea boss this summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 12:21

Adam Johnson trial update

Sunderland were given all the police interviews and exchanges, plus Johnson met with them, admitting what he is admitting now on May 4th 2015. And they kept him until just before this trial. Appears stupidity at that club knows no bounds
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 12:40

Olly wrote:Adam Johnson trial update

Sunderland were given all the police interviews and exchanges, plus Johnson met with them, admitting what he is admitting now on May 4th 2015. And they kept him until just before this trial. Appears stupidity at that club knows no bounds

They probably couldn't do anything until he was found (or pleaded) guilty of any crime.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 12:42

Did they play him though?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 12:47

Probably best if they did, that's 90 minutes where they know he isn't touching girls up (allegedly)

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 13:51

Yeah they played him, he scored against Liverpool a week before he was sacked. If that point does keep them up, Sunderland may feel like it was worth it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 14:01

They sacked him after he pleaded guilty to it, should've chucked him the moment they knew he did it.

Really, really disappointed in Sunderland, this would be tough to swallow if I were a fan.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 14:08

There are certain things that would cause me to re evaluate my fanhood. This might just be one of then.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Feb 2016 - 21:02

LiamB wrote:Antonio Conte heavily rumoured to have agreed to become Chelsea boss this summer.

Looks like this is happening

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 26 Feb 2016 - 15:14

Arsenal game vs us has been moved for Sky

But it is not yet set in stone because Chelsea/City playing in the CL - which means it could be played as it stands on the Saturday at 5:30pm, the Sunday at 4pm or the Monday at 8pm (taking the slot of either the Chelsea/city games which would be moved due to CL)

What day do I book the train for?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 26 Feb 2016 - 16:38

The day of the game Whistle

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 26 Feb 2016 - 17:55

West Ham had the Priority deadline for the Man United game before the date was confirmed. Finally found out today but people had to book Monday. Luckily it's Sunday, not Friday or Monday night, but it's all a bit awful

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 27 Feb 2016 - 11:34

Away to Leicester today - think we'll lose by 3/4 - can't see how we'll be able to defend Mahrez
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 27 Feb 2016 - 14:47

Well that was hard work. But up to 5th again and winning ugly is not the worst thing to have in our locker

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 27 Feb 2016 - 15:39

Jerome misses a sitter

Drink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 27 Feb 2016 - 15:49

If only Cameron Jerome wasn't Cameron Jerome we'd be at least one up here

Done a decent job on Leicester so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next