The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Wed 20 Jan 2016, 12:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Following on from the discussion on the 'Ireland 2016 Squad' thread which can be found here.

Ireland squad has been announced. It contains four uncapped players- Stuart McCloskey, Ultan Dillane, Josh van der Flier and CJ Stander. However there is no room for Garry Ringrose. Mike Ross, Cian Healy and Chris Henry have all been omitted due to injury but may feature later as they return to fitness in their provincial set-ups.

Ireland Squad RBS 6 Nations 2016 Rounds 1 & 2

Forwards (19)


Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) Captain
Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
James Cronin (Dolphin/Munster)
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht)*
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) Vice Captain
Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
CJ Stander (Munster)*
Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)*
Nathan White (Connacht)

Backs (16)

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)
David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht)
Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)
Stuart McCloskey (McCloskey/Ulster)*
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Jared Payne (Ulster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Con/Munster)

*Denotes uncapped player


Last edited by Notch on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down


The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by marty2086 Wed 27 Jan 2016, 2:17 pm

Sin é wrote:He gave away 40m in 2014 to local causes.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/community/90295/Limerick-s-JP-McManus-donating-.html

You should right a letter and ask for a grant for the IRFU Whistle

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Wed 27 Jan 2016, 3:08 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:Sorry, are you honestly comparing the two?

Just that they both have personal reasons for playing rugby elsewhere

Everyone who moves always has a personal reason for it though. No-one ever does anything for just one reason
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by eirebilly Wed 27 Jan 2016, 3:48 pm

rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:

Earls isn't worth a big contract, good wingers are ten a penny, he's 28 with a very poor injury record. If he can get better deal elsewhere then good luck to him but the IRFU should play hard ball here with some of these guys.

Really kind of Saracens then to offer an injury prone Earls a big fat 3 year contract, particularly when good wingers are 10 a penny.


Well they are quite good at wasting money Wink

Aahh rodders, even deep down you know that Earls is worth every penny of what he gets. Sarries may be in dept (not going into that) but they are turning into the best club in Europe, buying the best players and Earls is certainly seen as that by them. thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24510
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Wed 27 Jan 2016, 4:23 pm

And by the IRFU because they've just given him a three-year contract extension
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Wed 27 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm

Long interview with Les Kiss on the BBC tonight;

1) Says Ulster will be announcing a few new signings over the next few weeks. Ulster have retained all the players they want to but money from England is a big, big threat- a number of Ulster players were approached. On new additions he says "Watch this space".

2) Stuart Olding will be playing in the centre against Treviso unless there is an injury or a withdrawal or something- selection finalised today. They showed the try Olding scored last week and he took a beauty of a line. Kiss describes him as a player who can play 10, 12, 13 or 15- and he thinks he could do a job at 9 or 14 . Says that he is a very similar player to Jared Payne in terms of tactical acumen and skill set and outright states is one of the most exciting talents he's seen since he came to Ireland. Agrees with Brian O'Driscoll that Olding can be Ireland's first-choice centre for the next few years.

3) Asked if Jared Payne playing 15 against Oyonnax sets him up to play there for the national side- he says that decision was taken by him and the IRFU had no input. Says that he chose him at 15 because he thought it would make it easy for him to play his way back into the game and Payne was carrying a foot injury.

4) When asked about the centres for Wales he says that he imagines that it will be Robbie Henshaw and Jared Payne but he is guessing like the rest of us. Depends on the fitness of Robbie Henshaw.

Les Kiss comes across, on the whole, like an incredibly impressive individual. He seems whip-smart and he radiates positivity. He has total faith in his players and staff. It's no surprise Ulster are scoring so many tries when you hear the way he breaks down the skill set of the players when asked because he's forgotten more about rugby than I'll ever know.
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 27 Jan 2016, 11:07 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:I would agree with BOD that McCloskey isn't as naturally gifted as Olding or Payne but I would argue that he is as naturally gifted as Henshaw or Marshall.

Good to know that Kiss agrees with me (and BOD) Wink

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Thu 28 Jan 2016, 6:35 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:I would agree with BOD that McCloskey isn't as naturally gifted as Olding or Payne but I would argue that he is as naturally gifted as Henshaw or Marshall.

Good to know that Kiss agrees with me (and BOD) Wink

The three wise men
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Thu 28 Jan 2016, 9:03 am

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/six-nations/payne-and-henshaw-set-to-get-game-time-with-provinces-34403243.html

Robbie Henshaw and Jared Payne are likely to be released to Connacht and Ulster this weekend in order to get game-time in their Ireland positions ahead of the Six Nations opener against Wales on Sunday week.

Joe Schmidt has confirmed that between six to eight players will be allowed to go back to their provinces in order to get game-time, indicating that he will be asking his fellow head coaches to play his players in his preferred positions.

Henshaw only made his return from a hand injury last weekend, while Payne has played twice for Ulster since injuring his foot during the World Cup.

There has been some debate over whether Payne's recent runs at full-back could be a portent of a shift in international position, while Henshaw has also worn the No 15 jersey at Connacht.

With the emergence of Stuart McCloskey and the return to form of Luke Marshall, Schmidt has options in the centre, but it would be no surprise to see Henshaw play at inside centre for Connacht against Scarlets and Payne wear the No 15 shirt for Ulster against Treviso on Saturday.

"There are a lot of questions in our heads at the moment and we're not sure," Schmidt said.

"Our combinations are being mixed up at the moment and they're a little bit complicated by some guys needing game-time.

"You'll see maybe six to eight go back and play this weekend, just because they are either short on game-time or short on game-time in a particular position. That's just us trying to get the best preparation."

As for making changes to his preferred centre partnership, Schmidt seems unlikely to tinker with the formula he has had in place since November 2014.

"They are accomplished," he said of Henshaw and Payne.

"Jared has only had two games so he's filled in pretty well and they've been solid games and he's moved into the midfield in both of them towards the end of the games so he hasn't really played a lot of anywhere. Robbie's still played more in the centre than he has at full-back so they're pretty comfortable in either position.

"So for us it is certain that we have a few midfield options there so there is the opportunity to drop them back there and at the same time they're probably both fairly short of game-time.

"One or both of them may even play this weekend."
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by rapidsnowman Thu 28 Jan 2016, 11:07 am

So we await provincial team sheets with baited breath?

rapidsnowman

Posts : 459
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by carpet baboon Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:46 pm

Madigan on the bench for Leinster. Not in the23 perhaps?

carpet baboon

Posts : 2569
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Thu 28 Jan 2016, 1:37 pm

Madigan's on bench is probably more to do with they being light on cover for 10 with Nacewa out.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by JmD Thu 28 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

I can't overstate how disappointed I will be if Henshaw starts at 12 for Ireland. Not only is he much better used elsewhere, but now that we have McCloskey there really is no excuse.

JmD

Posts : 523
Join date : 2011-08-21

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by profitius Thu 28 Jan 2016, 2:11 pm

If we see Henshaw at 12 for Connacht and Payne at 13 for Ulster, you can guess what the team and tactics will be.
profitius
profitius

Posts : 4550
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by profitius Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:12 pm

Henshaw starting @ 13 for Connacht. No Payne for Ulster.

Looking at that it's unlikely Payne will be in the center next week having played only fullback since his comeback. It looks possibly like a McCloskey Henshaw center combination.
profitius
profitius

Posts : 4550
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:13 pm

profitius wrote:Henshaw starting @ 13 for Connacht. No Payne for Ulster.

Looking at that it's unlikely Payne will be in the center next week having played only fullback since his comeback. It looks possibly like a McCloskey Henshaw center combination.

Not the worst news I could have got today!
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by rodders Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm

The plot thickens!
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:41 pm

Fitz at 12, Henshaw at 13 then it is!

Payne at best on the bench, but most likely out of the 23.

Leinster players being rewarded for embarassing themselves and their Province v Wasps for Joe's Ireland cause!
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Jan 2016, 2:31 pm

Sin é wrote:Fitz at 12, Henshaw at 13 then it is!

Payne at best on the bench, but most likely out of the 23.

Leinster players being rewarded for embarassing themselves and their Province v Wasps for Joe's Ireland cause!

Not sure we can say that just yet but if Rob Kearney starts over Payne at 15, Dave Kearney starts on the wing, Fitz ahead of McCloskey or Madigan / Sexton starts ahead of Jackson then I feel that Schmidt continues to show favouritism for the Leinster players.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24510
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 29 Jan 2016, 2:47 pm

Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 3:31 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 3:32 pm

Scratch Fitz. all over twitter he got injured at training today!
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jan 2016, 3:37 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.

What never happened?
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 29 Jan 2016, 3:48 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.

What has that got to do with Henshaw getting a run at 13?

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 3:56 pm

Notch wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.

What never happened?

Leinster's worst ever defeat in Europe last weekend.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.

What has that got to do with Henshaw getting a run at 13?

At open training session in Aviva today, it seems Payne was lining out at 13 with Fitz at 12!
Daverage at 11, and Bob at 15.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jan 2016, 4:06 pm

Henshaw is so far off the mark defensively he wasn't even signed for Leinster in that game, never mind making his tackles. Wasn't even contracted to the right province! Smile

If Fitzgerald is injured, and Luke Marshall and Madigan released back to provincial training then it's a three horse race at centre isn't it. Wouldn't be adverse to seeing Fitzgerald at 12. Have we forgotten already he was our best attacking player in the last game we played?
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jan 2016, 4:06 pm

Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.

What never happened?

Leinster's worst ever defeat in Europe last weekend.

Not ringing any bells....
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 29 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.

What has that got to do with Henshaw getting a run at 13?

At open training session in Aviva today, it seems Payne was lining out at 13 with Fitz at 12!
Daverage at 11, and Bob at 15.

Yeah I read Munsterfans too,what has that got to do with Henshaw getting a run at 13?

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:24 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.


Its not really a dig though is it. Marshall and McCloskey have been the form Irish centre pairing, Jackson the form 10 and Payne has been outstanding at 15 since his return. Cant see how stating the obvious is a dig? I do believe that Schmidt does overly select more Leinster players due to his in depth knowledge of them but I don't agree with that policy.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24510
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:44 pm

Notch wrote:Henshaw is so far off the mark defensively he wasn't even signed for Leinster in that game, never mind making his tackles. Wasn't even contracted to the right province!  Smile

If Fitzgerald is injured, and Luke Marshall and Madigan released back to provincial training then it's a three horse race at centre isn't it. Wouldn't be adverse to seeing Fitzgerald at 12. Have we forgotten already he was our best attacking player in the last game we played?

Didn't Luke replace Tommy Bowe on the wing. Whatever about his attack, but the one tackle he attempted, he missed!
Mind you, I like Luke at 12.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:47 pm

eirebilly wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.


Its not really a dig though is it. Marshall and McCloskey have been the form Irish centre pairing, Jackson the form 10 and Payne has been outstanding at 15 since his return. Cant see how stating the obvious is a dig? I do believe that Schmidt does overly select more Leinster players due to his in depth knowledge of them but I don't agree with that policy.

Form is irrelevant until you know the 'system' which sounds like you need to be Einstein to learn.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:48 pm

Notch wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.

Well, the press are not going to do it. Not one word of criticism about that embarrasing loss to Wasps last week. Its like it never happened.

What never happened?

Leinster's worst ever defeat in Europe last weekend.

Not ringing any bells....
No it wouldn't. There's a bit of 'whatever you do, don't mention the war' about it.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm

The war? There was a war?
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:04 pm

Sin é wrote:Form is irrelevant until you know the 'system' which sounds like you need to be Einstein to learn.

You don't need to be Einstein but you do need to be studying a LOT in your spare time. Like, the time with the laptop and the notepad would overshadow the time spent on the training pitch these days I think.
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:45 pm

Sin é wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.


Its not really a dig though is it. Marshall and McCloskey have been the form Irish centre pairing, Jackson the form 10 and Payne has been outstanding at 15 since his return. Cant see how stating the obvious is a dig? I do believe that Schmidt does overly select more Leinster players due to his in depth knowledge of them but I don't agree with that policy.

Form is irrelevant until you know the 'system' which sounds like you need to be Einstein to learn.

So that's why there are so few Munster players on the team.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:31 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol the usual suspects use what should be a sign that we're seeing something good and new happening into a dig at Schmidt at Leinster.


Its not really a dig though is it. Marshall and McCloskey have been the form Irish centre pairing, Jackson the form 10 and Payne has been outstanding at 15 since his return. Cant see how stating the obvious is a dig? I do believe that Schmidt does overly select more Leinster players due to his in depth knowledge of them but I don't agree with that policy.

Form is irrelevant until you know the 'system' which sounds like you need to be Einstein to learn.

So that's why there are so few Munster players on the team.

Comments were made countering your accusation of people having a dig at Schmidt and Leinster and what do you come back with... Anti Munster comments... Doh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24510
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:39 pm

Lol,my comments are very obviously in jest,do you need me to put a smilie in there to spell it out for you.You and Sin é are not joking,you're just having digs at Leinster and Schmidt,you can't see anything positive about Ireland right now.

I understand that Sin é can't stand to see a former Leinster coach doing a far better job than his old Munster coach but it's pretty sad all the same.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:14 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:At open training session in Aviva today, it seems Payne was lining out at 13 with Fitz at 12!
Daverage at 11, and Bob at 15.

Yeah I read Munsterfans too,what has that got to do with Henshaw getting a run at 13?

I'm trying to find this- same guy who said Jackson was running at 10?
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm

Notch wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:At open training session in Aviva today, it seems Payne was lining out at 13 with Fitz at 12!
Daverage at 11, and Bob at 15.

Yeah I read Munsterfans too,what has that got to do with Henshaw getting a run at 13?

I'm trying to find this- same guy who said Jackson was running at 10?

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/36525-Ireland-v-s-Wales-6Nations/page4?p=1574664#post1574664

Sewa one of the chief clowns on a Munsterfans had it.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sin é Sat 30 Jan 2016, 1:47 am

Notch wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:At open training session in Aviva today, it seems Payne was lining out at 13 with Fitz at 12!
Daverage at 11, and Bob at 15.

Yeah I read Munsterfans too,what has that got to do with Henshaw getting a run at 13?

I'm trying to find this- same guy who said Jackson was running at 10?

Its got to do with Payne not running at 15. Payne 15 and one of either Fitz (think he is injured) or Henshaw at 12.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:18 am

So you don't think the idea that Jackson is training at 10 is potentially bigger news?

I mean, despite claims over Sextons fitness they are probably being careful with him. And of course they are not going to share everything they are doing at a public session. You would expect rotation and players to come in and out of the first choice team in training.And also plenty of people are putting their own agenda and soon on things, and their testimony should be taken with a pinch of salt.

But it's still the most notable feature of that selection.
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by eirebilly Sat 30 Jan 2016, 7:37 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol,my comments are very obviously in jest,do you need me to put a smilie in there to spell it out for you.You and Sin é are not joking,you're just having digs at Leinster and Schmidt,you can't see anything positive about Ireland right now.

I understand that Sin é can't stand to see a former Leinster coach doing a far better job than his old Munster coach but it's pretty sad all the same.

Let me spell something out for you. I am not having a dig at Schmidt or Leinster, I am judging Schmidt as the Irish coach by suggesting that their are better form players in Ireland than the Leinster players he has often shown more faith in. You need to get that chip off your shoulder and actually read what is being said rather than try the old straw man argument of 'every Munster fan is against Schmidt and Leinster'. That is what is sad. thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24510
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 30 Jan 2016, 10:50 am

eirebilly wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:Lol,my comments are very obviously in jest,do you need me to put a smilie in there to spell it out for you.You and Sin é are not joking,you're just having digs at Leinster and Schmidt,you can't see anything positive about Ireland right now.

I understand that Sin é can't stand to see a former Leinster coach doing a far better job than his old Munster coach but it's pretty sad all the same.

Let me spell something out for you. I am not having a dig at Schmidt or Leinster, I am judging Schmidt as the Irish coach by suggesting that their are better form players in Ireland than the Leinster players he has often shown more faith in. You need to get that chip off your shoulder and actually read what is being said rather than try the old straw man argument of 'every Munster fan is against Schmidt and Leinster'. That is what is sad. thumbsup

No you're prejudging him,I guarantee that if you go through all his team selections of the past there will be very few selections you'll have disagreed with.The fact that you have a problem with Schmidt showing faith in Leinster players really gives you away.You've argued against his selection of Payne in the centre more than anything else yet it's the Leinster players that stick in your craw.True colours.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by eirebilly Sat 30 Jan 2016, 11:01 am

Oh jeebus asoreleftshoulder, you really are clutching at straws again. Formulate a counter argument instead of chasing fake anti Munster/Schmidt sentiments, I am sure have the capability to do that, don't you?

Payne, as I have said many times, looked to be a better option at 15 than 13. Now, it appears that I may actually have been correct given his recent performances there. My arguments are formulated on form players in their best positions, not that of feebly attempting to create online arguments.

Again, I plead to you to actually read what is being written (even on Leinster threads) and you may actually understand that I have no anti Leinster or Schmidt agenda...

eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24510
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 30 Jan 2016, 11:55 am

eirebilly wrote:Oh jeebus asoreleftshoulder, you really are clutching at straws again. Formulate a counter argument instead of chasing fake anti Munster/Schmidt sentiments, I am sure have the capability to do that, don't you?

Payne, as I have said many times, looked to be a better option at 15 than 13. Now, it appears that I may actually have been correct given his recent performances there. My arguments are formulated on form players in their best positions, not that of feebly attempting to create online arguments.

Again, I plead to you to actually read what is being written (even on Leinster threads)  and you may actually understand that I have no anti Leinster or Schmidt agenda...


That has nothing to do with anything I posted,stop dodging and address the fact that you have a problem with Schmidt showing faith in Leinster players.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by eirebilly Sat 30 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

asoreleftshoulder,

I will give you one last chance to actually respond with an opinion that does not revolve around painting me as a Leinster hater.

Do you believe that Sexton (with his possible health concerns) and Madigan are showing better form than that of Jackson. So much so that they deserve to start above him? Personally I feel that Jackson is the form player and deserves a start for Ireland.

Do you feel that Leinster have better centre options than that of McCloskey, Henshaw or Marshall? As much as I like Fitz, for me he would be better placed on the wing and his kicking can be very helpful.

Do you feel that Rob Kearney is the best choice at 15 when seeing the form he is in opposed to the form that Payne is in at 15? Payne has shown the form to me that he is much better placed at 15 for Ireland.

These are questions about Irish rugby, these are not me finding any means possible to have a dig at Schmidt or Leinster. It is my opinion that Schmidt generally chooses the Leinster players due to his in depth knowledge of their games but believe that its time to look beyond that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24510
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 30 Jan 2016, 12:57 pm

eirebilly wrote:asoreleftshoulder,

I will give you one last chance to actually respond with an opinion that does not revolve around painting me as a Leinster hater.

Do you believe that Sexton (with his possible health concerns) and Madigan are showing better form than that of Jackson. So much so that they deserve to start above him? Personally I feel that Jackson is the form player and deserves a start for Ireland.

Do you feel that Leinster have better centre options than that of McCloskey, Henshaw or Marshall? As much as I like Fitz, for me he would be better placed on the wing and his kicking can be very helpful.

Do you feel that Rob Kearney is the best choice at 15 when seeing the form he is in opposed to the form that Payne is in at 15? Payne has shown the form to me that he is much better placed at 15 for Ireland.

These are questions about Irish rugby, these are not me finding any means possible to have a dig at Schmidt or Leinster. It is my opinion that Schmidt generally chooses the Leinster players due to his in depth knowledge of their games but believe that its time to look beyond that.

Well thanks for giving me one last chance that's extremely gracious of you.

To all your questions I'd pretty much agree with your opinion on all three.

Jackson is definitely better than Madigan and Schmidt has pretty much agreed with that throughout,he's probably in better form than Sexton too and I'd have no problem with him starting but I think if he were to pick Sexton it could hardly be classed as a biased decision.

Fitz is a class winger but his passing isn't good enough for centre at international level imo,I'd love to see McCloskey and Henshaw or Henshaw and Marshall as our centre combo.

Payne looks better than Kearney at 15 alright,I'd like to see him start there as Kearneys form has been poor.

The problem with all these questions is that Schmidt is known to base his selection on form shown in training,form for your province gets you in the squad but after that you have to show it in training which we never get to see.

Now will you address my point that all three of those questions haven't been answered yet by our coaches selection.So by prejudging him on a selection that hasn't been made you are being incredibly unfair and by having a problem with him showing faith in Leinster players specifically you are showing a bias.You can have a problem with him showing faith in players you don't think are good enough but when all the players you have a problem with are from Leinster and you actually state that is the problem then I don't see how you can't recognise that you aren't being fairminded.

asoreleftshoulder

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2011-05-15
Location : Meath,Ireland.

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Sat 30 Jan 2016, 2:54 pm

Oooof... Brian, go gently man!

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Screen11
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:08 pm

as an outsider I don't really get the "Payne at 13" thing. He's a solid enough 13, sure, but at 15 whenever I see him he looks genuinely class, just that extra bit of time on the ball seems to suit him, and he uses it well. Obviously hard to compare club vs international, but still, would be a mistake to pick him at 13 IMO, especially given Kearney isn't playing particularly well...

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12028
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Notch Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:47 pm

The truth is, I've never seen him play 15 at international level so it's very hard for anyone to have 'the definitive take' on this. Ulster made 1000m ball in hand against Oyonnax. It's quite hard to put that into the context of test rugby.

He does have that class but I know that the Six Nations games often come down to organisation, kick chase and being rock colic in defence. No doubt in my mind he is our best 13 for that style, and its a style which has made us incredibly competitive and won us championships.


Last edited by Notch on Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ireland Squad Announcement Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum